Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Yeah, the lead of the moving target and elevation angle are the trickiest parts of the shot. Plus the minor movements of a person’s head in an automobile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
GiP Political Pictures : Theorycrafting old assassinations

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

mlmp08 posted:

Yeah, the lead of the moving target and elevation angle are the trickiest parts of the shot. Plus the minor movements of a person’s head in an automobile.

There are no minor head movements when I'm in the car.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen
As someone whose only qual was in basic and consisted of "you didn't sweep anyone with your barrel, good job," this is all I have to contribute:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

LibCrusher posted:

My USAF pre deployment training was 45 (I think) rounds through an M9. I only vaguely remember it because the Intel LT in the lane next to me failed because she didn’t load all her mags and failed hard. One of the security forces dudes running the course just re-shot her qual for her because she broke down crying once they figured out her issue.

45 for practice, 45 for the test. Good for the year.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Every range I went to after boot was an utter clusterfuck, period. I shot expert on m16 after boot, so I was the shop guy that shot next to the ulls clerk when I "wanted more practice" and it was closing in on dusk because gently caress being at the range with a flashlight picking up brass because someone can't even make marksman.

Then they gave me a saw and I "qual'd" on it shooting into an old jet bunker at Anaconda. Absolute shitshows every single time.

Probably why I'm hesitant to go to a civilian range around here.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i always shot a 33. every time.

in order to get that you have to hit every target at least once.

i dont get it either.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

The way the Army trains people on handguns is terrifying, i.e. they don't. Basically here's an M9, go qualify. Watching a CSM or various field grade officers struggle with how to operate a handgun while also stopping them from flagging half the range with a loaded pistol is :discourse:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I have attended exactly one handgun training in the Army where the instructor did not flag anyone and actually gave a decent 10 minute class.

Every single other one, so many flaggings and no real effort to correct people.

M17 way better than the M9 though!

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I have been through the 6th floor museum in Dallas a few times with family over the years and you can see right where he shot. Considering that JFK’s car was slowing down to come around a bend in the plaza and was slowing down if not literally standing still relative to Oswald’s frame of reference, and the height and overlook are ideal, it all makes the shot incredibly simple. My only experience is hunting and shooting at targets on a range and just conceptually I stood there every time and was like... yeah he could make those shots through a scoped rifle no doubt.

I lived in Irving, TX for a few years and at one point my neighbor let me in on the fact that the house where his girlfriend lived, the one famous for the pic of him in front of the fence holding his rifle, was just a few streets down from me. People live there like nbd. Totally freaked me out when I found out about it.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Flying_Crab posted:

The way the Army trains people on handguns is terrifying, i.e. they don't. Basically here's an M9, go qualify. Watching a CSM or various field grade officers struggle with how to operate a handgun while also stopping them from flagging half the range with a loaded pistol is :discourse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mu51rszgotI

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

mlmp08 posted:

Aside from everything else, JFK was strapped in to a brace for his horribly hosed up back. His head wouldn't have moved much independent of the car.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Flying_Crab posted:

My fave is idiots who ever only shot striker fire pistols not realizing you can indeed hit a target at 5 yard with the double action pull by doing a thing called holding the loving gun properly.

Dudes get it in their head everything the Army has sucks and it's like "that's fair, but you suck more than it does."

Like how do y'all play Xbox for hours and not know how to modulate a loving trigger without moving the rest of your hand?? You don't need to be cocking the hammer for a loving extra pound of pressure, go jack off more or something.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 29, 2020

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

The M9 is too large for a significant percentage of the military, it’s not that hard of a stretch that people have trouble with issued guns.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
God gave you two hands and if I can teach the literal baby-handed folks in our unit to get a grip, there is no excuse. And rear end in a top hat know-it-alls on the range double and triple coaching shooters hosed them more than any fitment issues.

Hyperbolic annoyances aside, it's all about surface area. Once you get as much skin on the grip as possible with both hands, everything else works out for most shooters.

The main issue is the manual of arms has to be modified on a case by case basis, depending on how fat/short/wide the shooters hands are, but that can be re-trained.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2tizpgdiSk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g2-46CxSLA

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Nov 30, 2020

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
The m9 sucked poo poo. It felt wrong as hell in my hands.

The 1911 however felt perfect.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

ded posted:

The m9 sucked poo poo. It felt wrong as hell in my hands.

The 1911 however felt perfect.

Opposite for me, I even bought a 92fs after I got out.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I liked the M9 and was a drat good shot with it.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I shot fine with the m9. I just didn't like how it felt. The double wide mag just made it feel like i was trying to shoot while holding a log.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

ded posted:

I shot fine with the m9. I just didn't like how it felt. The double wide mag just made it feel like i was trying to shoot while holding a log.

Welcome to every modern double stack magazine.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Flikken posted:

Welcome to every modern double stack magazine.

M9 is in a different class with that though.

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I can shoot a glock 19 all day with no problem, but the M9 felt like a torture device on my soft baby Air Force hands.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

LibCrusher posted:

Yeah I can shoot a glock 19 all day with no problem, but the M9 felt like a torture device on my soft baby Air Force hands.

Exact opposite for me.

A Beretta with Hogue grips is my favorite pistol to shoot.

Burning Beard
Nov 21, 2008

Choking on bits of fallen bread crumbs
Oh, this burning beard, I have come undone
It's just as I've feared. I have, I have come undone
Bugger dumb the last of academe

I like my M9, it fits my baby hands just fine. I sold a Sig 229 because it WAS too big. Best handgun for me though is the HP 35.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I think the M9 grips felt fine, but they were just generally old as gently caress and clapped out, so it's not fair to compare to a privately purchased Beretta 92, even if you bought a used Beretta 92. Fit my hands fine, but I have large hands.

The M17 is excellent in comparison, though. Just a great shooter, better recoil profile, and I prefer the safety placement.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
My first deployment we carried M11 pistols, which were some model of Sig Sauer da/sa 9mm. Those things had an amazing grip shape and angle, just perfect. Ruined me for the M9 forever.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

US Berder Patrol posted:

My first deployment we carried M11 pistols, which were some model of Sig Sauer da/sa 9mm. Those things had an amazing grip shape and angle, just perfect. Ruined me for the M9 forever.

P228 basically.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
I liked the M9 and shot well with it, I liked it enough that I may buy one. That said the grip is huge and I don’t fault anyone who hated it. Especially if your hands weren’t large.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Richard Bong posted:

I liked the M9 and shot well with it, I liked it enough that I may buy one. That said the grip is huge and I don’t fault anyone who hated it. Especially if your hands weren’t large.

I have huge hands and the thing still feels awkward, but that also might be because

mlmp08 posted:

they were just generally old as gently caress and clapped out, so it's not fair to compare to a privately purchased Beretta 92, even if you bought a used Beretta 92.

The P228 was nice, but in general I'm a loving Navy officer so I don't need to care about any of this poo poo.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

US Berder Patrol posted:

Oh trust I'm a sig dude. I love their DA/SA and even their latest striker fire is pretty nice.

Almost bought one back when the red box ones were like $450

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
https://twitter.com/jennyposting/status/1333212111997194244?s=20

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

from replies

https://twitter.com/WobbenBuffet/status/1333240803230101506?s=20

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Stultus Maximus posted:

The P228 was nice, but in general I'm a loving Navy officer so I don't need to care about any of this poo poo.

What kind of a grip do you have on your issue cutlass

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

It appeals to me.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

source:https://twitter.com/iammarcpi/status/1333522206568050688/photo/1

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

aphid_licker posted:

What kind of a grip do you have on your issue cutlass

Super tactical pistol grip conversion.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
https://twitter.com/R3volutionDaddy/status/1335308919925706753

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I've seen this one a few times over the last month
https://twitter.com/LoveKrims/status/1335530850566328320/photo/1

Do the people posting this not realize that scientists, scholars, historians, economists, and journalists have been the enemy of conservatives since roughly 1800?