Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

that flow chart is deranged. what if you're just a person streaming? wouldn't that mean you're a person with a computer and a camera, and probably not a "leadership structure" or the capacity to create and enforce a segregated chat room?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
brb setting up a paper bag test on my twitch stream so that i can make sure who gets admitted to which chat

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

what brainworms are these? have these people never had friends in real life? are they all
from Tumblr?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
As usual best to assume all the most deranged and well promoted tumblr style woke idiots are trust fund kids who don't understand the idea of streaming without a marketing firm and team on contract

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Imagine being asked to play a game of d&d not because a group thinks you'd be a good addition, but because they have a clipboard of boxes to check and you, ah, "fit the description"

That must feel great

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

"We've completed all the tasks and unlocked you."

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

ttrpg streams seem like they a would produce fan communities with the worst aspects of both RPG and podcast fan communities

a super highway to brain worms

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Atrocious Joe posted:

ttrpg streams seem like they a would produce fan communities with the worst aspects of both RPG and podcast fan communities

*flashes back to 2017 The Adventure Zone discourse*

Serf
May 5, 2011

i'm gonna do a longer post on doctor sleep and how it's just stephen king's second pathetic attempt to poo poo on kubrick, but i just rewatched the shining and i want to say that dick halloran has the sweetest 1980 bachelor pad ever. florida location, plastic ferns, shag carpet, faux-wood paneling, his own personal bar and big pictures of naked women on the walls. dude is living like a king

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

the assumption that white streamers have all these crazy perks compared to poc streamers is reminding me of this old eddie murphy bit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_LeJfn_qW0

woke culture in general seems like a sincere belief that this what its really like to be white in spite of the fact the people most strongly pushing these beliefs are themselves white and should know better

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Atrocious Joe posted:

I understand that there are people who like it but I cannot understand the appeal of watching people play table top games like a RPG

watching someone stammer out some improved dialogue just sounds like hell

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Some Guy TT posted:

the assumption that white streamers have all these crazy perks compared to poc streamers is reminding me of this old eddie murphy bit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_LeJfn_qW0

woke culture in general seems like a sincere belief that this what its really like to be white in spite of the fact the people most strongly pushing these beliefs are themselves white and should know better

i mean i dont know anything for sure but would you be surprised to learn that white streamers have inherently better numbers than poc streamers?

doesnt mean that the answer is segregation, but woke. but theres probably some real issues in there

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i agree completely my brain just likes the analogy of oh youre white here have a free leadership structure for your stream and oh youre white here have a free no interest loan

Serf
May 5, 2011

Dreylad posted:

I understand that there are people who like it but I cannot understand the appeal of watching people play table top games like a RPG

there is literally one stream that chart is aimed at and it is run by showbiz professionals who are very good at improv work. there is an entire cottage industry devoted to trying to take down critical role, which is a waste of time and energy because the show isn't really worth getting mad about and also it has achieved a level of success that puts it beyond criticism

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Dreylad posted:

as someone who plays d&d, i don't really like watching other people play d&d as a general rule; if the people doing it are otherwise good at improv or acting, it can be pretty entertaining. all of the d&d stuff i consume is comedic first and foremost and uses the framework of a tabletop roleplaying game as a vehicle for a longform improvised narrative. i've also never sat down to watch a whole episode of critical role so i might not be the target demo for this question.

i imagine a lot of it as with any other stream or digitally distributed independently produced video content is the parasocial relationship you form with the "talent" playing the game

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

Serf posted:

i'm gonna do a longer post on doctor sleep and how it's just stephen king's second pathetic attempt to poo poo on kubrick, but i just rewatched the shining and i want to say that dick halloran has the sweetest 1980 bachelor pad ever. florida location, plastic ferns, shag carpet, faux-wood paneling, his own personal bar and big pictures of naked women on the walls. dude is living like a king

that scene is so good. I love how the entire movie up to that point has been in the bizarre dreamscape of the overlook and then we finally cut to a location outside of the hotel and it's still weird as gently caress

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Declan MacManus posted:

the parasocial relationship you form with the "talent" playing the game

Ding ding ding!

There must be some sinister reason why (person I like on the show) won't replace (person I don't like on the show) with me. I would do a better job, be funnier, and then we'd all have a big pizza party once the game was over and go back to the big house where we all live together and stay up late watching movies and talking about our feelings

It's rather like that one scene from Joker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5pHlbwmpzg

Or, uh, that other scene from Joker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbliHNs4q14

(Also, rude tales of magic is much, much better)

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Serf posted:

there is literally one stream that chart is aimed at and it is run by showbiz professionals who are very good at improv work. there is an entire cottage industry devoted to trying to take down critical role, which is a waste of time and energy because the show isn't really worth getting mad about and also it has achieved a level of success that puts it beyond criticism

i saw a video of a woman who was summarizing the latest episode of (i think) critical role and it seemed completely insane. the woman and the existence of a summary video of a podcast, not the podcast/vlog thing itself

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Dreylad posted:

i saw a video of a woman who was summarizing the latest episode of (i think) critical role and it seemed completely insane. the woman and the existence of a summary video of a podcast, not the podcast/vlog thing itself

its insane but also makes perfect sense in our current capitalistic hellscape.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There really seems to be an idea that if you cancel someone you gain their clout Highlander style

Reminds me of all those wild takes trying to say Steven Universe is actually doing a racism, a misogyny, a no growth, etc. (which on the slightest examination are generally hilariously bullshit and in one case by a serial con artist who preys on minorities and woke people)

It's like some kind of cartoon or fairy tale villain where they're desperately trying to invent rules and scenarios that will force the probably entirely oblivious content creator to say its name backwards and be banished to its home dimension

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Serf posted:

what was King's first attempt?

I read half of Dr. Sleep but I couldn't really get into it

Serf
May 5, 2011

Fleetwood posted:

what was King's first attempt?

I read half of Dr. Sleep but I couldn't really get into it

his tv miniseries adaptation of the shining that sucked donkey balls

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Glad I picked Riverdale over the sopranos. This show rules.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Serf posted:

i'm gonna do a longer post on doctor sleep and how it's just stephen king's second pathetic attempt to poo poo on kubrick

Ironically the movie is Flanagan's attempt to homage Kubrick (he doesn't succeed).

Serf
May 5, 2011

Alhazred posted:

Ironically the movie is Flanagan's attempt to homage Kubrick (he doesn't succeed).

everything i’ve read indicates that king was so far up flanagan’s rear end that he was able to dictate basically whatever he wanted. at first i wondered why, if he was so intent on beating kubrick, that the movie wasn’t a sequel to the miniseries, but clearly the people with money knew that no one cared about that and, imo, king saw this as his opportunity to “fix” what he didn’t like about kubrick’s movie by incorporating the elements from the original book that he thought were ignored or overlooked

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

kubrick was a much better filmmaker than king was as a writer and did a much better job at realizing the idea in The Shining

king is mad that he was outdone by a better artist and that his life summary will be the prolific author who wrote the book that was then turned into an excellent movie

Serf
May 5, 2011

i'm fully awake now and ready to post. so here it is, why doctor sleep is king's second failed attempt to fix what wasn't broken with kubrick's adaptation of the shining

i read the shining probably 17 years ago at this point, so my memory is a little hazy, but i never read doctor sleep and had to google the details for this. i have watched the adaptations of both books, including the bad king-led shining miniseries with the awful cgi topiary monsters. my theory is that the book doctor sleep was written to give king a chance to have power over the adaptation in a way that he couldn't back in the 80s. he disliked kubrick's adaptation, criticizing the casting of jack nicholson, the way shelley duvall's character ended up (this one might be valid), the movie's choices with regards to jack torrance's background and kubrick's own portrayal of the supernatural. here's a short list of things the movie adaptation of doctor sleep (which differs significantly from the book in order to make it fit with the kubrick adaptation) does that are really ways to backport in the elements of the shining that king thought were left out:

jack torrance's history of alcoholism. this was a biographical element for king, so it was very important to him that it be included. there is little reference to jack's addiction to alcohol, not nearly as much exploration of the topic as was done in the book. this is why in doctor sleep we see danny's struggle with alcohol and we get an extremely overwrought speech from jack's ghost later in the movie about how alcohol is his medicine.
danny's openness with his powers. in the book, danny is much more willing to talk to his parents and strangers about his powers, or tony, the little boy he externalizes those powers onto. in the movie danny only speaks to dick halloran about his abilities, and overall his psychic powers are downplayed in favor of the ghosts and possession story of jack. so in doctor sleep abra is much more open about her powers, her parents are fully aware of them, and she has the exact same arrangement with them that danny torrance did in the shining novel.
tony, the shining itself, and the entire psychic angle. in the book, it is made explicitly clear that tony is an externalization of danny's powers, that the shining power possessed by halloran and danny is part of something much larger, and that the hotel is really after danny because it wants to feed off his power. this is mostly alluded to or de-emphasized in kubrick's adaptation, again in favor of the haunted house story. in doctor sleep we have danny essentially look into the camera and explain what tony was, there is an attempt to widen the shining into a whole psychic underground, and danny lures rosie to the overlook explicitly because he knows it wants to feed off psychics and it even vocalizes this desire
dick halloran doesn't die in the novel. this one is pretty simple, dick halloran lives through the events of the shining. this requires him to appear to danny as a ghost/spirit in the doctor sleep adaptation
jack torrance's struggle against the overlook. in the shining novel, jack fights back against the hotel's influence and manages to momentarily break free, begging danny to run away from him. so in doctor sleep this exact scenario takes place but with danny and abra in the positions. king thought that kubrick, as a skeptic, could never fully convey the overwhelming evil of the overlook hotel, and claimed that it should have been more apparent that jack torrance was possessed and not the victim of cabin fever. to me, this is a little hypocritical of king, as the jack from the novel was an alcoholic and a domestic abuser, the results of decisions he made, not the hotel's influence. whereas it could be argued that kubrick portrays the supernatural angle better by having jack be obviously flawed but attempting to be a good father and husband, only to be preyed upon and possessed by forces beyond his comprehension.
the overlook hotel is destroyed. another simple one. at the end of the shining novel the overlook burns down because of the boiler not being tended to properly. so in doctor sleep we have danny sabotaging the boiler to achieve the same ending

there are other small things, but these to me are the biggest points where it seems like the movie adaptation of doctor sleep is trying to fix what king disliked about kubrick's movie. he had a lot of influence over the project and apparently hand-picked mike flanagan for the job as director. and he says that the movie reconciles his problems with kubrick's film, which tells me that he feels he succeeded. however, i have some other criticisms of the movie that exist outside of this:

- the principal characters of the film do not meet until an hour into run time. some characters, like the blonde psychic vampire and the hospice director, are given a weird amount of emphasis that never ends up mattering. clear pacing issues
- there is no tension in the movie at all. the psychic vampires seem menacing at first, but even before their big pivotal scene rosie, their leader, continues to get her rear end kicked by abra with seemingly no effort at all. then these semi-immortal psychics roll directly into an ambush and get picked off by two men with hunting rifles. they can be killed by bullets and blunt force trauma. it was hilarious! they build them up as this huge threat, and they just get slaughtered en masse by regular bullets. the average monster-of-the-week on an episode of supernatural is more threatening than these morons! and then danny acts like they need to go to the overlook to fight rosie, when it has been clearly demonstrated that she is vulnerable to the same sort of harm as a regular person and that she can't hold a candle to abra when it comes to psychic poo poo. and in the end, she manages to get stabbed by an axe, torture danny a little, and then gets instantly owned by the overlook ghosts. i've rarely seen the villains of a movie be so useless and underpowered
- on a similar note, why are the villains camper truck hobos and not billionaires and senators? they've been around for hundreds or thousands of years, they can influence the minds of people around them, danny implies that they're not worried about the cops, i don't get why they haven't plied their immortality and psychic powers into making this whole "eating psychic kids" thing a lot easier for themselves.

that's the other thing about this movie: seriously damaging to the psyche if you have epstein brain. the vampires exclusively prey on children, and in one scene where we see them do just that they take a young boy out to a field, tie him down and straddle him while stabbing him with a knife to draw out his essence. it is actually pretty horrific in that its uncomfortable to watch given the context of the poo poo we know about our world.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Serf posted:

- on a similar note, why are the villains camper truck hobos and not billionaires and senators? they've been around for hundreds or thousands of years, they can influence the minds of people around them, danny implies that they're not worried about the cops, i don't get why they haven't plied their immortality and psychic powers into making this whole "eating psychic kids" thing a lot easier for themselves.

that's the other thing about this movie: seriously damaging to the psyche if you have epstein brain. the vampires exclusively prey on children, and in one scene where we see them do just that they take a young boy out to a field, tie him down and straddle him while stabbing him with a knife to draw out his essence. it is actually pretty horrific in that its uncomfortable to watch given the context of the poo poo we know about our world.

iirc in the book they had to not draw attention while constantly moving around and no one cares about people in RVs– that way no one would connect them to the disappearing kids. They actually owned a bunch of RV parks which was necessary because there were fewer and fewer kids being born with the shining, and they had to be on the move pretty much all the time.

The scene with the Little Leaguer is pretty disturbing in the book too. King takes some time to talk about how important it is to torture the shining out of the victims.

If I ever get some free time I guess I'll finish the reading. It's been like four years

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

I just watched The Platform on Netflix. It is extremely good and very C-SPAM.

It involves a man who is imprisoned in a room with a giant, rectangular hole in the floor and the ceiling. He has one cellmate. Above him and below him are other rooms, also with two people in them. The hole exists as a pit of sorts that stretches all the way down through this structure. It goes on for hundreds of levels.

Every day, a giant slab is lowered through the hole and pauses at each level. The slab is covered in an exquisite buffet of food. An absolutely fantastical amount of gourmet dishes. As you can imagine, though, as it lowers through the structure the "prisoners" have their fill before it moves on to the next level. And the next. And the next. Until it's covered in nothing more than empty dishes picked totally clean.

Some prisoners are lucky to be placed at higher floors. Others aren't. Every month, the prisoners are gassed and placed on a different level. So, it's really luck of the draw although some people have theorized that the more people a prisoner kills, the higher the floor he or she will end up on the next month, which is a pretty ingenious and darkly humorous take on capitalism

It's bleak. It's dark. It manages to do a better job of exploring class, capitalism, resource scarcity and the limits of "solving" structural issues than Snowpiercer in my opinion. I highly recommend it.

That said, it can get gory. But it's definitely thought provoking and worth a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlfooqeZcdY

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There really seems to be an idea that if you cancel someone you gain their clout Highlander style

ah so Critical Role fulfills the same coveted enemy for certain grognards that Chapo does for left twitter

the Chapo guys aren’t even particularly talented so i can get people thinking they can somehow beat them and take over their game, can’t imagine how loving insane you’d have to be to think you can overcome professional voice actors with years of improv experience

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Dr. Killjoy posted:

ah so Critical Role fulfills the same coveted enemy for certain grognards that Chapo does for left twitter

the Chapo guys aren’t even particularly talented so i can get people thinking they can somehow beat them and take over their game, can’t imagine how loving insane you’d have to be to think you can overcome professional voice actors with years of improv experience

never underestimate the wellspring of rage that comes from seeing other people pretending to be elves wrong

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Dr. Killjoy posted:

I have nothing against Critical Role, but watching grown rear end people earnestly pretending to be elves and orcs and poo poo is supremely boring.

Dimension 20 is the superior pnp adjacent entertainment because 90% of the time it's just batshit insane and very funny

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I can be on Critical Role

How much talent does it really take to play an orc? I know enough Warcraft 3 orc quotes to get by.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

The Lodges of riverdale are gusanos

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

as a show about a precariously stable gig worker struggling with learning how to be a single dad, Mandalorian is phenomenally timely

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/DouthatNYT/status/1333221795034525698

lovin that ratio

for the sake of reference last jedi has a rating to review ratio of around five hundred

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Serf posted:

doctor sleep sucked, my GF and i watched the Shining recently, since I had never seen it, and followed it up with doctor sleep, which was just embarrassing. the travelling clan of psychic monsters that were described as "gypsies" when they were in europe? the incredibly boring version of the original kid who monopolized the first half of the movie doing completely unrelated-to-the-story things to get sober? like, it felt totally unrelated to the shining, except for the end when they shoehorned in the overlook in a way that totally ignored the actually interesting part of the setting, the time-warping hotel that drives people mad and sucks them into it's atemporal hell party

stephen king's modern stuff seems to mostly suck rear end, it's just him ruminating on "what if psychic? :thunk:". mr mercedes sucked too, the first season was good but then it completely went off the rails

Frog Act has issued a correction as of 16:47 on Nov 30, 2020

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

grate deceiver posted:

I have nothing against Critical Role, but watching grown rear end people earnestly pretending to be elves and orcs and poo poo is supremely boring.

Dimension 20 is the superior pnp adjacent entertainment because 90% of the time it's just batshit insane and very funny

I never listened to Critical Role but the presumably similar podcast Rude Tales of Magic works because it's a bunch of funny people being funny, them being elves just adds to the absurdity. I assume it's the same as Dimension 20, just high fantasy.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I never got into Critical Role, I got into an audio-only podcast called Critical Hit that was p good imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Big Mad Drongo posted:

I never listened to Critical Role but the presumably similar podcast Rude Tales of Magic works because it's a bunch of funny people being funny, them being elves just adds to the absurdity. I assume it's the same as Dimension 20, just high fantasy.

pretty much, it’s a bunch of collegehumor people who i think mostly have ucb training

most of the other successful dnd things i can think of follow the same model of people who have a proven track record of being funny or being able to improv or are at least comfortable on camera or otherwise performing in some way. anything else would be a huge drag imo (and a lot of times it ends up being a huge drag in spite of having all those baked in advantages)