Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
Yes, Breath of Fire II, one of the fondest memories of my-

...Er, sorry, wrong box art :staredog: .

♪ Theeere we go, THAT'S more like it ♪!

Yes, Breath of Fire II; One of the most unique RPGs I've ever played, and one of the prettiest. It's traditional in structure, but the decisions made with its gameplay, balance, and pacing are fairly different. Sometimes different in a good way, sometimes in a bad way, and sometimes just... plain... weird.

I love it though. I love it so much, I got someone called Nitrodon to start hacking the game to pieces! His work is where I'll be getting a lot of my knowledge (in addition to BSiron's FAQ on GameFAQs)!

As for the translation... We're not touching it. Capcom decided they could do better than Woolsey, and Capcom was wrong. Instead, we're going with the Retranslation, with it's cleaned up UI and Dash feature.

So welcome, friends, to the most thorough, beginner-friendly, and informative walkthrough you will ever see! Strap in, cuz it's gonna be a wild ride!

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Dec 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I guess it is a start. Did you forget to add in the gameplay?

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
RESERVED INDEX POST:
Part 1: The Darkness Stirs (Prologue)
Part 2: We're Rangers! (Harpies, Pests, & Roach)
Part 3: Gimme a Chance
Part 4: Lethal Dose (Baba to Augus)
Part 5: Clean Hit (Joker)
Part 6: Kingdom (Windia)
Part 7: There's Something Here (Terapin)
Part 8: Awakening (Shamans & Dragons)
Part 9: Cold and Dark (Witch's Tower)
Part 10: Creeping Shadow (Wildcat Cafe)
Part 11: Fly Pudding (Gold Fly)
Part 12: No Way Out! (Kuwadora)
Part 13: The World is Trembling (Trout)
Part 14: A Whale La-La-La... (Munmar)
Part 15: Hide-and-Seek (Uparupa & M.C. Tusk)
Part 16: Wanderer (Highfort 1/2; Trubo)
Part 17: Pincer Attack! (Highfort 2/2; Shupkay)
Part 18: Decadence (Queen of Tunlan)
Part 19: Memories (Aruhamel)
Part 20: Treasure Won (SkyTower & Fusion)
Part 21: My Home Sweet Home (Paladin)
Part 22: White Wings (Guardian)
Part 23: Sandy Slumber (Thieves Tomb)
Part 24: Fishing Man (Tiga & Fishing Treasure Chests/Spots)
Part 25: Dying Corpse (Necromancer and the Secret Shaman)
Part 26: Please God (Evrai, Part 1/2)
Part 27: Approach (Evrai, Part 2/2)
Part 28: Critical Moment (Halkamania & Bad Ending)
Part 29: Crooked Ladder (Infinity/Abyss Tower)
Part 30: Nightmare (Barbaroi: Team & Solo)
Part 31: What it Takes to be a Hero (Anfini/Infinity)

BONUS UPDATES:
Bonus #1: Lin is Poisoned! (Argus with only Ryu & Rand)
Bonus #2: How to Break the Game, Part 1 (Dragons & Township)
Bonus #3: How to Break the Game, Part 2 (Bleu & Stat Boosters)
Bonus #4: Algernon (Owl Fruit)
Bonus #5: Sten Grind at Highfort
Bonus #6: Rand Grind at the Island of Giants
Bonus #7: Shamans, Boombada, Nympho's Love, & Other Things!
Bonus #8: Valerie (Ryu's Mother)

PARTY CHAT:
Party Chat #1: Sanamo, Granny, & Fusion!
Party Chat #2: Township Gets Bigger!
Party Chat #3: Jean is Jailed! The Royal Signet is Missing!
Party Chat #4: Kuwadora's Beaten! The thief girl's captured!
Party Chat #5: Search for a Grassman!
Party Chat #6: Spar & Bleu!
Party Chat #7: Sten—Wounded Warrior...
Party Chat #8: The Queen is fat!
Party Chat #9: The Elder Tree speaks!
Party Chat #10: Fog Valley is blocked!
Party Chat #11: Rand's mother! How do you get wings?
Party Chat #12: Before and After Mina's Scene.
Party Chat #13: Tiga's the Name! Patty works for him?!
Party Chat #14: Tiga & Katt!
Party Chat #15: Ganer Dying & Ganer Living
Party Chat #16: The Final Voyage

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Oct 3, 2022

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Nope! Just took me longer to do everything than I thought! Here it is!

Part 1: Breath of Fire II Walkthrough - The Darkness Stirs (Prologue)

NOTE:
We're using the Retranslation, not the official localization. I will still include the official terms, however, to clear up confusion. Also, you should read the descriptions; They will usually be used to cover details I didn't have time for in the episodes themselves.

IF YOU'RE DOING THE MONEY GLITCH (I'm forgoing this for the Walkthrough):
Menu:
Put Ryu in Slot 2 and Bow/Bosch to slot 1

Item Shop:
– SELL: LifePL/Ammonia
– BUY: x6 of any fishing item (the shop description will tell you if it's used for fishing)
[DO NOT BUY 1 AT A TIME!! If you did, just Clean/Auto your inventory to put em in the same stack]

Weapon Shop:
Have Ryu trade for an IronAR/Iron Band or SaladBwl/Headband, then press A & B at the same time to glitch out the game. Do this as many times as you want (speedruns do this until they have about 17-18 million zenny)

After duplicating money:
Say Yes to equip the x6 fishing items over the NatureWP/Benadanti
Someone called "Sten" will get a bugged MoonDrop as a weapon; Said MoonDrop will be absurdly busted.

WHY THE MONEY GLITCH WORKS:
I'm not certain as to how A + B causes the game to start editing another character's inventory... But for some reason, it does.

In any case, the game's choice of character depends on which Slot Ryu is in. If Ryu is in Slot 1, the game will edit someone called "Nina". If Ryu is in Slot 2, it will edit "Sten". Slot 3 will edit "Jean/Tapeta", and Slot 4 will edit "Spar/Aspara".

It's important to edit Sten, as the game accidentally uses the character's starting Condition (more on that stat later) to determine what their equipped weapon is (since they're not supposed to be in your party yet). Most characters start with 96/255 Condition, which translates to a TreeST/Wooden Staff (only sells for 50z). Sten, however, starts with 160/255 Condition, which turns into the NatureWP/Benadanti. This sells for 90000z, so you can duplicate money much quicker.

WHY THE BUGGED WEAPONS WORK:
The game is trying to figure out what properties the "weapon" has; So if you transfer the x6 fishing items, the same sees it as having "06". Bit 0 says "this weapon is a Holy weapon", and Bit 6 says "this weapon makes you attack twice in a single turn".

x06 is also what the MoonDrop item is identified as in a normal playthrough, so the game twists itself into a knot assuming that the MoonDrop is what you just equipped into Sten's weapon slot.

Finally, a separate process (so the x06 doesn't enter into this) classifies all items as either weapons, armor, accessories, or consumables. Consumables are always classified as 0x00 or 0x40, so the MoonDrop also gets 64 Attack on top of everything else.

And yes, you can do this as many times as you like, with as many characters as you like.

WHY IT HAS TO BE RYU:
Ryu is the only one who can stack multiple copies of an item (the fishing items) into one Accessory slot. This is what allows us to put x6 of an item into another character's weapon slot. If we attempted this with anyone else, the game would just tell us that the character cannot equip the x6 fishing items.

THE ROUTE THUS FAR:

Gate:
Get the TreePole/Wood Pole from the closet in your bedroom
Talk to the lady who asks you where Yua is (next to the middle house)
Get a Healing Herb from the middle house
Go up to get beat by the Gunhead
– Attack yourself to end it quicker
Re-enter the Church and talk to Papa Hulk
Leave the village, enter the cave, and get smacked by Barubary/Barbaroi

Newhaven:
Get LifePL/Ammonia from the Chief's closet
Get 100z from Ryu & Bow/Bosch’s room
– Will not be available if you got the Healing Herb in the upper house
Get the Antidote from the upper room in the Inn
– SELL: TreePole/Wood Pole & LifePL/Ammonia
– TRADE: Bowie Dagger → Bronze Sword (Ryu)
– BUY: IronAR/Iron Band (Ryu) and Herbs

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Nov 27, 2020

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

...Eh, what the heck. I'll throw in some references to the old translation, now and again. Here's some goodies, from Legends of Localization:

TRANSLATION MISHAPS:

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

The translator has an account here, I think he is Ryushikaze or such?

I had a lot of fun pointing out some typos and talking about certain item types back in the day.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Tallgeese posted:

The translator has an account here, I think he is Ryushikaze or such?

I had a lot of fun pointing out some typos and talking about certain item types back in the day.

Does he now? Awesome. I'll be sure to reach out :) !

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I've always liked BoF2, but never quite finished it. Or understood it.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
This reminds me that I still have to finish the hard mode patch for BoF3.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Fionordequester posted:

Does he now? Awesome. I'll be sure to reach out :) !

I might be wrong, I could have sworn someone on here that they (as in the poster themselves who said it) did the retranslation on here a couple years ago. I am going to laugh if my memory has utterly failed me or I misread something.

EDIT: Seriously this is driving me nuts looking for the post, hah!

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Nov 27, 2020

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Tallgeese posted:

I might be wrong, I could have sworn someone on here that they (as in the poster themselves who said it) did the retranslation on here a couple years ago. I am going to laugh if my memory has utterly failed me or I misread something.

EDIT: Seriously this is driving me nuts looking for the post, hah!

Well, I contacted him on Twitter regardless. If he wishes, he'll be here :) .

Anyway, here is Ryu & Bosch's first big adventure!

Part 2: Breath of Fire II Walkthrough - We're Rangers! (Harpies, Pests, & Roach)

THUMBNAIL ART BY: 「せいはち」
せいはち's ART GALLERY: https://www.pixiv.net/en/users/3498832
Special thanks for giving me permission to use it!
[Pixiv is basically the Japanese version of Deviant Art]

HOW TO MANIPULATE CONDITION:
There are two timers at $CAA and $CAC (addresses found in RAM Search, if on emulator). They always freeze inside maps, always run in dungeons and the Overworld... And are bizarrely inconsistent everywhere else. Even textboxes aren't always safe!

$CAA starts at 0 frames, goes up to 7200 frames (1/60th of a second), then rolls back to 0. $CAC advances by 1 every time it does. $CAC itself goes up to 32 before rolling over to 0. So you can think of these as a clock. The $CAA hand (0-7199) affects the $CAC hand (0-31).

When $CAC reaches a multiple of 4, a value (out of 255) is added to each character's Luck, then multiplied by one of four multipliers. The exact numbers depend on the characters, and can be found in these tables:

Katt/Nina/Bleu:
0: 96
4: 48
8: 4
12: 48
16: 96
20: 96
24: 160
28: 96

Ryu/Bow/Spar:
0: 96
4: 96
8: 32
12: 96
16: 96
20: 176
24: 192
28: 176

Jean:
0: 48
4: 96
8: 160
16: 48
20: 32
24: 32
28: 32

Rand/Sten:
0/8/16/24: 160
4/12/20/28: 32

Those numbers are added to the Luck stat of everyone in your Active Party. The sums are then multiplied by one of 4 factors...

-20% (17/32 chance)
+10% (7/32 chance)
+30% (5/32 chance)
+50% (3/32 chance)

Note that a character only needs to be at 192/255 to reach Super. So, even lower numbers like "96" are enough, if your Luck is high enough, and you reset for a 50% multiplier.

So, get to HomeTown/Newhaven, then stand on the Overworld for about 38 minutes (so $CAC is about to reach 20). Go back inside, save, wait for your Conditions to change, then reset till you see Great on both Ryu & Bosch. Then, make copies of this file throughout all three save files, and play as normal. This way, you will never have to do the 38 minute wait again!

COUNTERS, CRITICALS, & DODGES:
These run entirely on Condition. The tables are as follows...

Counters:
Ill: 0/16
Poor/Tired: 1/16
OK/Fine: 2/16
Good: 4/16
Super/Great: 8/16

Criticals:
All Else: 8/64
Good: 16/64
Super/Great: 24/64

Dodges:
Ill: 0/32
Poor/Tired: 2/32
OK/Fine: 3/32
Good: 4/32
Super/Great: 6/32

ENCOUNTER RATES (can be halved by Smokes):
Low encounter rate (Mainly Overworld areas when Ryu's Level is at, or above, the Area Level)
Steps 5-23: 1/64
Steps 24-31: 2/64
Steps 32-39: 8/64
Steps 40-47: 10/64
Steps 48-55: 24/64
Steps 56-63: 32/64

Medium encounter rate (Mainly Overworld areas when Ryu's Level is less than the Area Level)
Steps 5-7: 1/64
Steps 8-15: 2/64
Steps 16-23: 4/64
Steps 24-31: 8/64
Steps 32-39: 16/64
Steps 40-47: 24/64
Steps 48-55: 32/64
Steps 56-63: 48/64

High encounter rate (most dungeons, including Infinity)
Steps 5-7: 2/64
Steps 8-15: 8/64
Steps 16-23: 16/64
Steps 24-31: 24/64
Steps 32-39: 32/64
Steps 40-47: 48/64
Steps 48-55: 56/64
Steps 56-63: 64/64

Very high encounter rate (area around HomeTown, below level 5)
Steps 5-7: 8/64
Steps 8-15: 16/64
Steps 16-23: 24/64
Steps 24-31: 32/64
Steps 32-39: 48/64
Steps 40-47: 56/64
Steps 48-63: 64/64

HOW THE SHOT/SNIPE COMMAND WORKS:
The base accuracy of Shot is based on the target's Luck. Multiply these by 1.2x if Bow is in Super/Excellent; Otherwise, multiply them by 1.3x (that's not a typo; the game reads the commands in the wrong order :| ...)

Enemy Luck:
1-8: 25/64
9-16: 23/64
17-24: 21/64
25-32: 19/64
33-40: 17/64
41-48: 15/64
49-56: 13/64
57-64: 11/64

HOW DEFEND WORKS:
This blocks both melee & magic damage down to one of four amounts...

50% (3/16 chance)
64% (6/16 chance)
75% (6/16 chance)
81% (1/16 chance)

FORMATION MULTIPLIERS (for now):
Normal: x1.0 Damage Dealt & Received, x1.0 Crits

Scramble/Scatter (1st Slot): x1.3 Damage Dealt & Received, x1.3 Crits
Scramble/Scatter (2nd Slot): x0.9 Damage Dealt, x0.85% Received, x0.85 Crits

COCKROACH REVIVAL CHANCES:
50% to die
30% to revive with 30 HP
12% to revive with 40 HP
6% to revive with 50 HP

THE ROUTE THUS FAR:

Overworld:
Get LVL 2 for both PCs before Futabi

Mt. Futabi:
PARTY FORMATION: Bosch in Slot 1, Ryu in Slot 2
Use Shot/Snipe on Widows & Corpses

---------------------------------------------------------
VS. Three Harpies (70 HP for Parreux, 40 HP for others): Scatter
Turn 1: Bosch attacks Pijo or Putti, Ryu Defends
Turn 2: Ryu heals himself up
Turns Onward: Heal whenever Ryu is so much as scratched!

Keep Scatter Formation
Get Headband in the right side of 1st cave room (equip on Ryu when healing)
Get Firecracker in the left side of 2nd room
LVL 6-7: Ryu Defends if no Gunheads, Leeches, or Goblins to kill

Nero’s House:

VS. Cockroaches: Normal
Auto small Cockroaches
Auto the big one as well (Ryu & Bosch outspeed it)

Head back to Newhaven for scenes.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Dec 14, 2020

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

TRANSLATION MISHAPS:

quote:

Her name's "Puti" in the text boxes.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Btw, I'm always worried about whether or not I'm cramming too much info into the episodes.  For anyone lurking, please tell me when it's too much!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It didn't take long at all to get several levels at the start and two boss battles as well. Quite a difference from the first game. I am guessing the firecracker is a tier 2 attack item and worth a nice bit of money?

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Scalding Coffee posted:

It didn't take long at all to get several levels at the start and two boss battles as well. Quite a difference from the first game. I am guessing the firecracker is a tier 2 attack item and worth a nice bit of money?

Yep! But this time, it's something we wanna actually use. That fight I mentioned is tough :baduk: .

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Karma has come! Bosch's life is on the line! How will Ryu handle the hardest part of the game? Who the heck is this girl?

Part 3: Breath of Fire II Walkthrough - Gimme a Chance

THE RUN FORMULA:
Subtract enemy Vigor from your own, and you'll get the following run chances...

-33 or less: 8/64
-32 to -9: 10/64
-8 to -1: 16/64
0 to 7: 22/64
8 to 15: 28/64
16-31: 32/64
32-55: 36/64
56-95: 40/64
96-143: 44/64
144-199: 48/64
200-255: 52/64
256-511: 30/64 (Nitrodon can't begin to guess why)

Check your current HP, and see if it's more than 70% of your max HP:
more than 70% HP: +0%
70% or less: +40%

Finally, you will gain an additional multiplier (or penalty) depending on where the invisible clock is at (updates every 8 minutes).

0: -5%
1-63: +0%
64-127: +5%
128-191: +10%
192-255: +30%

Want to keep track of the above numbers? Take the values from the following table, and add them to your party's average Luck (the clock changes at the same time as your party Condition, so it's possible to keep track without RAM Watch... If you really want to):

0: 32
4: 32
8: 96
16: 160
20: 224
24: 160
28: 96

This, of course, is a whole lot of words for "running is really hard, and should not be bothered with, except for when noted below" .

THE ROUTE THIS EPISODE:

Newhaven:
Walk outside and go up to the upper-left to talk to Kilgore
Talk to Bosch inside your room
– BUY: Up to x9 Herbs
– STORE: All your remaining Zenny.
Safety save; it's gonna get rough.
Take Bosch to Township

Township:
Avoid the statue; It's better to respawn at HomeTown/Newhaven

Overworld:
Force an encounter by the bridge
Fight one big enemy or any number of Tetsi Flies; run from two big enemies.
– Buy more Herbs if you die and respawn at Newhaven.

Colossea:
Go into the Pub and talk to bartender to make it night time
Talk to Rand (the big grey guy)
Go upstairs and get a Smoke from the bottom drawer
Go into the Inn just next door
– Skip the Inn; Herbs heal almost all your HP, and only cost 8z to the Inn's 20z
Snag Clothing & Herb from the drawers upstairs
– BUY: Up to x9 Herbs; Also an Antidote, if you used one on the way
– SELL: Clothing & Smoke
– RETRIEVE: All your stored Zenny, if the sum will be 855z or more. Otherwise, leave inside.
Go to the Church, and snag a 10th Herb from the top drawer
Try to Donate till your total Zenny (including what's in the bank) is 855z or more
Save your game (don’t need to reset upon death; this is just for respawning)
– TRADE: Ranger Suit & Bronze Helm

TRANSLATION MISHAPS:

And probably the greatest of all...

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Dec 1, 2020

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Is it normal for games to need so many hidden counters for stuff?

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

...No. But nothing about Breath of Fire 2 is what you would call "normal". Me, I would've just compared Ryu's LVL to the enemies, and called it a day. Or just have consistent run chances, like Dragon Quest always did.

Gives me lots of material, though :mmmhmm: .

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Oh, the horrors of Coursair! Crazy hillbillies! Feral catgirls! Full frontal assault! And the most dreaded foe of all... RNG! How will Ryu survive all this? Find out, today!

Part 4: Breath of Fire Walkthrough - Lethal Dose (Baba to Augus)

NOTE:
Recording this episode was a mess, as a pretty large chunk of the original audio was unusable, due to terrible static leaking through. I stitched it all together as best I could in post-production, but I missed a spot at 3:35 & 9:01.

Still, it's also one of my favorites, in a way. It has some of my favorite jokes, I love the delivery of them with me & Skaizo, and it also has some incredibly interesting information about Augus' AI, for those of you familiar with this game.

ENEMY AI:

quote:

Docaden/Trent:
50% Defend, 50% Spark/Flare (even if out of AP)

Bugbear:
50% Miss, 50% Critical

Harpy:
Cure 1 the one missing the most HP, with ties going to the latest slot. Attack if no one is hurt, or they're out of AP.

BABA/BUNYAN AI (37.5% Counter-Attacks):
63/64 Attack, 1/64 Defend

KATT/LIN AI (50% Crit Rate):
Attack (62.5%) or Dare (37.5%)

AUGUS/ARGUS AI (Attacks twice per round):

quote:

Attack #1:
50% Attack Slot 1, 50% BuildUp (2.5x Damage to the next attack)

Attack #2:
Always attack if BuildUp's active. Otherwise...
62.5% Attack Randomly, 25% Cure 1, 12.5% Buildup

HOW WAKE/ROUSE WORKS:
Wake/Rouse will never revive the same ally twice in the same fight (just as allies cannot revive themselves twice). Otherwise, its success rate relies mostly on Rand's Guts/Will stat. The table is as follows:

0 Flame(s): 128/256
1 Flame(s): 136/256
2 Flame(s): 144/256
3 Flame(s): 152/256
4 Flame(s): 160/256
5 Flame(s): 172/256
6 Flame(s): 184/256
7 Flame(s): 192/256

Add 3/256 for every Guts flame the target has.

DAMAGE FORMULAS FOR MELEE ATTACKS:
Check BSiron's FAQ for player character attacks ("AttackbyPlayerCharacter"): https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/snes/563530-breath-of-fire-ii/faqs/5436
Enemy attacks are the same, except their final Damage is modified like so (after all other steps):

quote:

Final Damage = Pwr + (Luck * (1/8, 2/8, 3/8, or 4/8)) + (0 or 1)

This formula, along with BSiron's Damage tables, are how I knew Katt/Lin's critical hits could do 10-30 Damage.

THE ROUTE:

Coursair/Colossea:
Make sure you have at least x10 Herbs, x1 Antidote, and all the best gear
Save your game at the Church, so you can deathwarp back.

Overworld:
Go up to Tagzi Woods.

Tagzi Woods:
Head straight to Bunyan
Auto everything except for Bugbear encounters with a Maneater or Harpy. Run from those.
– You can also attempt to crit & counter Harpies, if you're in Great Condition.

VS. Bunyan (169 HP):
He can counter, and can also do up to 14 Damage with each hit. He's also slower, however, so plan accordingly.

Deathwarp (re-equip the Bandana inside a battle to lower Defense)

Colossea:
Talk to Rand again, inside the pub
– BUY: Up to x9 Herbs and x5 Antidotes (x6 Herbs & x2 Antidotes is sufficient)
Go up to the Colosseum, go into the right room, then take the left door

VS. HR Director (160 HP):
Auto

Heal with Herbs, then Sort your inventory
Talk to Argus, then SAVE YOUR GAME
IGNORE THE CHEST until Rand tells you to give him your money
Snag the 1000z now that Rand’s not taking it, then fight Lin!

VS. Lin (220 HP):
Heal whenever you’re hurt; She has a 50% chance to crit each turn, and can do up to 30 Damage

– BUY: Hexa Staff, Catsuit, Iron Band, & Bronze Helm
Fully equip Lin (you’re keeping all her original stuff)

VS. Argus (680 HP): Scatter
Equip the Bronze Helm on Rand
Ryu & Lin attack every turn, while Rand preemptively heals Ryu

Argus charging on his 2nd Action means BOTH attacks next turn will be boosted. Switch to Normal, then Defend with Ryu if this happens.

IF RYU DIES: Rand uses Wake/Rouse on him immediately
IF KATT/LIN DIES: Let her stay down till Augus is two attacks away from death. After that, you can decide whether or not to revive her.

Wake/Rouse has a little more than a 50% chance of working when totaling Rand's current Guts stat with Lin's, so it's likely to work. Still, Augus could always do something nasty with Crits + Buildup. It's your choice.

IF YOU WIPE: Just try again. It's only a short walk, and you should've spent everything on Katt's equipment beforehand.

Remove Rand’s Bronze Helm IMMEDIATELY!!

TRANSLATION MISHAPS:
None, this time.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Feb 15, 2021

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Lin doesn't look like her battle sprite at all.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Scalding Coffee posted:

Lin doesn't look like her battle sprite at all.

The enemy one or the player one?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Her character sprite is wearing blue, but her battle sprite is purple.

Was there something about the number of darts that hit Ryu affecting the next scene?

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Scalding Coffee posted:

Her character sprite is wearing blue, but her battle sprite is purple.

Was there something about the number of darts that hit Ryu affecting the next scene?

Aha.

Yeah, I'm actually gonna show that off next time, in a bonus episode! It's brutally unfair, but its also got some neat stuff you don't otherwise see, so look forward to it!

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

And now the burning question... Just how insane is this fight WITHOUT Lin? Find out, today!

Bonus #1: Breath of Fire II Walkthrough - Lin is Poisoned!

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Dec 4, 2020

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Sprite chat: I got into bead art a few years back, and it really does give you a new appreciation for what sprite artists have to deal with when working on sprites. "I have an area 16 by 16 (or 32 by 32, or what have you) pixels large to work with, and I have to make something that looks even remotely like the drawing/painting the artist made, who has a much larger canvas and is allowed to use the entire pallet of colors. How many times can I get away with using 5 whole pixels for the face?" It's honestly really impressive how many sprites can actually look like their art counterpart, while managing to cut out 90% of the detail.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
At what point are you prevented from grinding in case you just cannot beat Argus?
Can you get any other attack items besides firecracker?

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Randalor posted:

Sprite chat: I got into bead art a few years back, and it really does give you a new appreciation for what sprite artists have to deal with when working on sprites. "I have an area 16 by 16 (or 32 by 32, or what have you) pixels large to work with, and I have to make something that looks even remotely like the drawing/painting the artist made, who has a much larger canvas and is allowed to use the entire pallet of colors. How many times can I get away with using 5 whole pixels for the face?" It's honestly really impressive how many sprites can actually look like their art counterpart, while managing to cut out 90% of the detail.

Bead art, huh? Awesome. What're some of the tricks you've learned to imitate shading and the like?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Fionordequester posted:

Bead art, huh? Awesome. What're some of the tricks you've learned to imitate shading and the like?

Most of my stuff is just video game sprites taken from spriters-resource. But using them actually makes you notice the finer details in sprites that you may have normally overlooked. So far, the biggest thing I've learned is "The stuff you get at the craft store is really bad if you want anything in the way of shades". That being said, Artkal does decent-quality beads in quite a few shades if you are interested in doing it. As far as freehand stuff I've done with shading, the biggest thing was mostly just having sufficient shades of a color (or say gently caress it and do it as flat colors or mono-color).

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Scalding Coffee posted:

At what point are you prevented from grinding in case you just cannot beat Argus?
Can you get any other attack items besides firecracker?

Oops, sorry I missed this.

You're not prevented from grinding. It's just incredibly slow to do so, and Argus is only three screens away. And yes, you CAN get battle items, in the mid-game! They're a ways off, but once we get 'em, they're gonna be a centerpiece in my strats :woop: !

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Dec 5, 2020

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Say what you want about the difficulty curve; The character designs are beyond reproach :blush: .

Part 5: Breath of Fire II Walkthrough - Clean Hit (Joker)

ENEMY AI:

Solo Hood/Thug:
Always attack

P.Spider/Black Widow:
1/64 defend
Otherwise: 193/256 Poison Attack, 63/256 Attack

x4 HOODS/THUGS AI:
If x1-2 are dead, there's a 25% chance of calling for another Thug, after the 1st action of the turn.
If x3 are dead, this increases to a 37.5% chance.
Either way, this can be done up to 16 times (which is why the Firecracker is so desirable)

[Hoods are supposed to be able to heal themselves and each other with Herb, and also gang up on whichever party member has less HP. Two bugs make this impossible.]

JOKER AI
1/64 defend
Otherwise: 65/256 Psn.Chop/Miasma, 191/256 Attack
[Psn.Chop/Miasma is the same as a regular Attack, except it targets everyone, and has a chance of poisoning each person it hits]

THE ROUTE:

Overworld:
Remove Rand’s Bronze Helm IMMEDIATELY!!
Roll on to Nero’s House for sequence triggers!

Township
SAVE YOUR GAME!!
– This is for deathwarping later.
Head back to Newhaven

Newhaven:
Do cutscenes at magic school, then go to Mt. Rocco

Mt. Rocco:
Auto the Thug
Answer anything but "Payne" to the guy that quizzes you, then Auto
Switch Ryu to the front before checking the hole
Auto the battle until Lin’s in danger; she’s more fragile than Ryu
Take 4 steps in the next room, then heal Ryu
Skip the treasure for now, and keep going up
Auto the lone Thug
Firecracker the x4 Thug group!
– You'll enjoy a full party heal right before...

VS. Joker (580 HP): Scatter
Herbs with everyone when he uses Psn.Chop/Miasma (~25% Chance to do so)
– Miasma does normal melee Damage, just to everyone in the party, while attempting to poison. Ryu may be able to delay healing, since he's bulky
– Everyone outspeeds, so you'll be fine.
Spam Frost with Nina, since he’s weak to it

Get all the treasure you skipped before on the way out (100z, Silver Knife, Lucky Charm, & 1000z)
Only Ryu should attack the Will o’ Wisps & Ghouls, once he has the Silver Knife
Nina should more-or-less just Defend, since none of her spells are quite strong enough to OHKO.

TRANSLATION MISHAPS:

["Hanako" is a Japanese pop culture reference, and why Ryusui mentions Moaning Myrtle in the Retranslation]

[The 2nd one is about how lax Capcom was about censoring violence... Highly unusual, back in the day.]

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Dec 9, 2020

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Do you have to refight the same gang members if you deathwarp back to them?

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Scalding Coffee posted:

Do you have to refight the same gang members if you deathwarp back to them?

Yep. Every encounter & cutscene in Joker's room resets; Just not the rooms before then.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I've always been a bit confused by the bosses in this game. I'm guessing that the idea is that they are humans (or other races) that have become so corrupted and unrepentant that... something something whoops now they're a monster, but is it ever explained just what's going on with their transformation? It seems like something they can do at-will (ala Argus), but is it a one-shot thing? Can they turn back into the human form?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
They can turn back. The reason for it will be explained later.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Featuring Nina's home town, and a magic monkey! BE THERE!

Part 6: Breath of Fire II Walkthrough - Kingdom (Windia)

IMPORTANT NOTE:
The Defensive Formation is our default Formation for most of the game, for reasons I'll go into next episode. For now, just know that we need more Defense, not more Offense.

ENEMY AI:
Dethpedes/Poison Movers
1/64 defend
Otherwise, 65/256 Poison Breath, 191/256 attack

Killer Goblins:
If any monster is dead, 50% run away
Otherwise, 1/64 defend
Otherwise, 65/256 Def-Down/Weaken, 191/256 attack

Kimoto/Lizardmen
1/64 defend
Otherwise, 65/256 cast spell, 191/256 attack

Spell list: Def-Up/Protect (50%), Atk-Up/Might (50%)

Stooly/Handy Fungusi
1/64 defend
Otherwise, 129/256 cast spell, 127/256 attack

Spell list: Ag-Down/Slow (25%), Pwr.Down/Blunt (25%), Def-Down/Weaken (50%)

THE ROUTE:

Overworld:
Head to Wyndia and split up attacks while Ryu and Lin split attacks

Wyndia:
Snag the Wooden Staff & 100z in the Inn
– SELL: SuedeAR/Tanned Armor, Bronze Sword, & Wooden Staves
– BUY: Long Sword, Chain Mail, GlassRG/Glass Helm, & x2 BronzeSH/Escutcheons
Spend the leftovers on Herbs
Equip the party like so:
--------------------------------
Ryu: Long Sword, BronzeSH/Escutcheon, Ranger Suit, Bronze Helm
Sten: Silver Knife, BronzeSH/Escutcheon, Chain Mail, Bronze Helm
Lin: Hexa Staff, IronAR/Iron Band, LeotardCL/Catsuit, GlassRG/Glass Helm
Nina: Ring, IronAR/Iron Band, Clothing, SaladBwl/Headband
--------------------------------

– CHANGE FORMATION: Auto the party as Ryu/Sten/Lin/Nina in Defensive

Overworld:
Heal every 15 steps, if you get poisoned and have no Antidotes left.
Get a HelpBL/Vitamin from the house on the way
You can usually just coast on Auto, except for these encounters:
– X3 Killer Goblins: Use Defensive Formation and split attacks while using Jolt
– x2 Poison Movers: Ryu attacks one, Sten & Lin attack the other. Nina uses Jolt in Turn 1, and Defends in Turn 2.
– x3 Handy Fungusi: Defensive Formation. Ryu and Sten use Attack + Flare on one, while Lin and Nina do that on another.
– X2-3 Lizardmen: Defensive Formation. Ryu & Sten split their attacks (with Sten using Flare), Lin Defends, and Nina uses Jolt. Then Lin finishes the last in Turn 2, if x3

Capitan:
Rest at the Inn
Go to the building next to the Inn, and get a Wisdom Seed from the top dresser
SELL: Antidotes (if applicable)
BUY: Up to x45 Herbs

TRANSLATION MISHAPS:

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Dec 12, 2020

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
Breath of Fire II was my first JRPG. I played it as a child when I neither spoke nor read English and basically played through it entirely with the help of a very comprehensive walk-through a local gaming magazine had published. I still had a lot of fun beating it - really loved all the character designs, too.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Psykmoe posted:

Breath of Fire II was my first JRPG. I played it as a child when I neither spoke nor read English and basically played through it entirely with the help of a very comprehensive walk-through a local gaming magazine had published. I still had a lot of fun beating it - really loved all the character designs, too.

Well, you got the added benefit of not understanding how bad the English was, too. Also agree with how great the character designs are, too. Standouts to me are Ryu, who looks older, stronger, and wilder than most JRPG protagonists...

...and Lin, who actually looks like a half-beast woman, rather than someone who just slapped on cat-ears...

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Dec 12, 2020

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I don't remember Lin being such a violent woman and I approve of her interrogation methods.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I remember her being incredibly violent and incredibly dumb naive or literal.

Now that I think of it, she's Drax from Guardians of the Galaxy, isn't she?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

FeyerbrandX posted:

I remember her being incredibly violent and incredibly dumb naive or literal.

Now that I think of it, she's Drax from Guardians of the Galaxy, isn't she?

She is absolutely the type of person who would gleefully offer to perform percussive maintenance on your laptop when it's on the fritz, and genuinely think she's being helpful.