Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
F1's evolution of safety is pretty amazing. I cannot believe Grosjean survived that crash, let alone walked out of it. Who cares if the car is 3% less pretty.

Somewhere along the last 20 years of, uh, acquiring "evaluation" media content I grabbed some sort of series of official yearly season recaps from mid 80's and early 90's F1 and literally 3 people died per weekend until like '95, when it was cut to two. Dudes working the pit lanes in flipflops and shorts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I have spent the last 4 days spreading mulch on my front yard and my back and right shoulder is shot. And I start my new job tomorrow. I've also had some serious personal poo poo also happening over the last couple days. I've had 7 months of being unemployed that could have been used to take care of all this but no, lets cram it all in at the end. :argh:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Elmnt80 posted:

I have spent the last 4 days spreading mulch on my front yard and my back and right shoulder is shot. And I start my new job tomorrow. I've also had some serious personal poo poo also happening over the last couple days. I've had 7 months of being unemployed that could have been used to take care of all this but no, lets cram it all in at the end. :argh:

Nothing like a deadline to steel the mind.

The most progress I made on my truck was in the last week before I was to start a job. That date ended up moving by like two weeks but Holy cow when I knew the lazy days were over...

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Brokeback got broken into. Parked at the far end of the apt complex last night.

Driver's door handle pried out of the door, dash trim wrecked, looks like they were after the stereo (older touchscreen double DIN Pioneer), but didn't get it out (tried like hell to pry it out, the DIN cage is bent to hell, but still seems to work fine) They dug through the car a bit, my insurance card is gone (thankfully had my PO box on it), my 20,000 mAh battery pack is gone, tools are gone. Not sure what else yet.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

STR posted:

Driver's door handle pried out of the door, dash trim wrecked, looks like they were after the stereo (older touchscreen double DIN Pioneer), but didn't get it out (tried like hell to pry it out, the DIN cage is bent to hell, but still seems to work fine) They dug through the car a bit, my insurance card is gone (thankfully had my PO box on it), my 20,000 mAh battery pack is gone, tools are gone. Not sure what else yet.

That sucks, I'm sorry. gently caress thieves.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

That sucks STR. When my crosstrek got broken into they took my registration and insurance as well. Wtf

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Elmnt80 posted:

My best work is done under pressure.

I’m way late to TV chat. I am fully on board the Apple TV train. I bought my first one 7 years ago or something. It was I think the fourth Apple product I bought (iPod to iPhone to iPad to Apple TV). The way everything Just Works(TM) is really nice. I’m sure I can probably get a better visual experience or whatever but janitoring a network and media server and all that other crap sounds exhausting. I’m fully in the Apple ecosystem and ya know what? I’m about it. The way my apps work cross platform and single sign in. I can just easily drop things here and there, switch between phone to my Mac to my iPad is a really good user experience requiring not a lot of brain power. I have 4K Apple TV’s now. I use them exclusively for steaming. I’m not jamming through the most recent super rich color thing. My hearing is probably damaged enough at this point it wouldn’t matter. I’m probably due for a new TV soon enough (upstairs is the 65” Samsung 7 years old and 1080) and hearing TV chat doesn’t make me excited to look.

Latest Apple thing that amazes me? My AirPods (second generation). How I held off for so long on these is beyond my understanding.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

luminalflux posted:

That sucks STR. When my crosstrek got broken into they took my registration and insurance as well. Wtf

Thankfully we don't have to keep registration paperwork in the car in TX (unless it's titled as a commercial vehicle) - the windshield sticker has your plate, county, expiration, etc. The registration would still have my PO box on it anyway, I'm pretty :tinfoil: about anybody having my physical address (the state does know the address it's parked at, but I have everything mailed to my po box... my current letter carrier isn't great about accuracy).

Door handle was pried out enough to unhook the lock and unlock the door, can probably pop it back in easy enough (the key never worked on that door anyway, so I don't care about hooking the keyed lock back up). Dash trim and DIN cage can be junkyarded. I don't really want to run it through insurance unless I have to, once the daystar is out I'll get a better idea of how hosed it is.

Can't even get the 5-0 out here to take a report until tomorrow, and I literally live next door to city hall and police HQ. :argh:

e: I stupidly had one of my prescriptions in the car (schedule IV). It's gone. 5-0 are still not very interested, but I'm going to need a police report to get it replaced. :sigh:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Nov 30, 2020

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

STR posted:

Thankfully we don't have to keep registration paperwork in the car in TX (unless it's titled as a commercial vehicle) - the windshield sticker has your plate, county, expiration, etc. The registration would still have my PO box on it anyway, I'm pretty :tinfoil: about anybody having my physical address (the state does know the address it's parked at, but I have everything mailed to my po box... my current letter carrier isn't great about accuracy).

Door handle was pried out enough to unhook the lock and unlock the door, can probably pop it back in easy enough (the key never worked on that door anyway, so I don't care about hooking the keyed lock back up). Dash trim and DIN cage can be junkyarded. I don't really want to run it through insurance unless I have to, once the daystar is out I'll get a better idea of how hosed it is.

Can't even get the 5-0 out here to take a report until tomorrow, and I literally live next door to city hall and police HQ. :argh:

Yeah we were pretty freaked out about someone having our name, address et c. Thankfully nothings happened (and we’ve moved since then)

I called the SF police and they were like “ok, so???” - geico didn’t need a statement luckily. Having the dash trim hosed with is annoying, sorry you have to deal with that

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah all of the dash trim is destroyed. Meh. Junkyards have it.

Also have Geico, but I'm trying to hold off on filing a claim unless the damage is worse than I thought. I had a total loss claim almost 3 years ago, I don't want to make another claim again (this will likely be a total loss just due to the damage to the door, and the general age and condition of the car).

I DEFINITELY need a police report to replace the medication that was in the car, since it was a scheduled drug.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

That sucks dude. Breaking into a car next door to a police station is pretty bold.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Midjack posted:

That sucks dude. Breaking into a car next door to a police station is pretty bold.

why? the thieves work right there

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I..... uh... yeah, you're not wrong at all.. ESPECIALLY in this city/county - the current county sheriff is under indictment (thankfully got voted out, so he's gone soon), and our police chief just retired for "health reasons" (also he sent an innocent high school kid to state prison for several years (turned loose once his case had some doubt cast on it, but his sentence was 25 years), despite there being absolutely no evidence... this is easily one of the most corrupt cities I've lived in, and the cops here loving HATE seeing Brokeback on the road. They hated seeing my old Saturn too, but anything with even a scratch gets a lot of scrutiny here. I guess the upside is the nice cops know me now, and know I'm just trying to drive to/from work in a beat to poo poo car (they ignore me even if I'm doing 5 over, sometimes even wave when they see me; normally 2-3 over is a ticket here, and going under by more than 2-3 will also get you stopped :fuckoff:).

e: dashcam also gone. they kinda did me a a solid there, the battery was "cam shuts off instantly and corrupts the card when you shut off the car,, battery kinda bulging a bit", the card was also worn out. Too bad I dropped my renters insurance a few weeks back (SO was supposed to add me to theirs, but hasn't yet). I'm not sure if my car insurance will cover the dashcam; it was powered by the car stereo (which was considered "permanently installed"), and mounted to the windshield by 3M heavy duty double sided tape, so may or may not be considered "permanent". Wiring run through the headliner and A pillar.

Midjack posted:

My apt complex backs up to a wooded area with a large homeless camp in it. It's a gated property, except on that side.

I know this because I regularly make sure Brokeback's AWD and LSD are working by taking the dirt roads that wind through that area, and one "road" dumps right into the parking lot. I try to avoid disturbing anyone (I stay far away from tents, there's a couple of well-built shacks in there too), mostly just use the dirt roads/trails as shortcuts during rush hour. I can shave a good 10 minute off of driving home with my detours, though there's one stretch that's kinda hairy (one side of the track is washed out and curves up around a small hill, so I put my left wheels on the high part and just let the brush destroy what little clearcoat I still have on the other side - I'd probably roll it otherwise, or at least high center it).

I'm probably just gonna fix it, even though it needs a ton of other work. It's the known evil, so to speak.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Nov 30, 2020

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

BraveUlysses posted:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

everdave posted:

Hey man I thinks that is great. Solid deal post a pic of it installed!!! Sometimes it’s easier to just snag a deal

I was prepared to pay $100 more for the lower model, it's nice when things go in your favor. Also I have no tv stand yet so I have to sort that out today.

A question for everyone who might know, I need to upgrade a circuit breaker to a high inrush type so the treadmill will stop tripping it. I have never done this before but I assume it's basically 1) turn off the main 2) remove old breaker 3) install new 4) turn main back one.

Should I call an electrician or should i burn down my house?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Get a non-contact voltage detector to check that the power is off before you touch anything. Then poke everything with your multimeter to double-check.

Assuming the size of the new and old breakers are the same, it sounds like you have the right idea

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

meatpimp posted:

That track is using tremendously out of date barriers. The double stack of guard rail exacerbated the problem. SAFER barrier would have made a huge difference.

Also, :drat: he was IN the fire for so long. Modern fire suits are obviously very good.

Reading the articles and seeing his video from hospital it looks like he only got burnt on his hands and was in that fire for 25 seconds or so. Those suits are amazing!

I was wondering exactly why his gloves didn't protect him as much as the rest of the suit did?

STR posted:

I'm probably just gonna fix it, even though it needs a ton of other work. It's the known evil, so to speak.

Sorry about brokeback. Since you don't care too much about the cosmetics of the car then fixing it definitely makes sense

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Raluek posted:

Get a non-contact voltage detector
A maintenance apprentice?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Rhyno posted:

I was prepared to pay $100 more for the lower model, it's nice when things go in your favor. Also I have no tv stand yet so I have to sort that out today.

A question for everyone who might know, I need to upgrade a circuit breaker to a high inrush type so the treadmill will stop tripping it. I have never done this before but I assume it's basically 1) turn off the main 2) remove old breaker 3) install new 4) turn main back one.

Should I call an electrician or should i burn down my house?

Honestly, this post indicates your lack of experience with working with this stuff. I would strongly recommend calling an electrician.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I mean, I asked if I should call an electrician.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Tomarse posted:

Reading the articles and seeing his video from hospital it looks like he only got burnt on his hands and was in that fire for 25 seconds or so. Those suits are amazing!

I was wondering exactly why his gloves didn't protect him as much as the rest of the suit did?

Speculation: hands the only place with a single garment for protection. Socks, pants, shirt, balaclava, suit, helmet and gloves. Two items coverage everywhere except for gloves, which are also thin for feel.

25 seconds is also amazing given then standards required of the gear, it’s tested against flames of 600 – 800C, must resist ignition for 10 seconds and the internal temperature cannot exceed 41C for 11 seconds.

Watch the footage when Dr Roberts approaches the inferno, he tries to reach the car but appears physically forced back by the heat as he tries to reach for Grosjean, and he’s only got an open face helmet on, as he helps him back to the car his face looks like it took a lick too.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Register to win this RACECAR guys

https://pitvipersunglasses.com/pages/black-friday

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Speculation: hands the only place with a single garment for protection. Socks, pants, shirt, balaclava, suit, helmet and gloves. Two items coverage everywhere except for gloves, which are also thin for feel.

That and I'm pretty sure most of the race gloves I've seen still just pull on. Seems like it'd be possible in a major fire to get some heat coming in under the wristband.

The last major fire injury I can think of in Indycar was confined to the hands as well, when Simona de Silvestro had a nasty wreck in practice before the '11 Indy 500.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Already did :cool:

I'd like to know where they found such a clean MN12 though.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Already did :cool:

I'd like to know where they found such a clean MN12 though.

Was thinking the same thing, haven't seen one in awhile and the ones I do see are ragged out.

[e] making a drift car out of it would be pretty rad

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Unifi Dream Machine Pro is on sale right now for $299.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I just put one in at work last night and it's amazing how nice the metrics are compared to the old ZyWall 50 (which uses flash for part of the its interface, which is now EOL). The only problem I had was it could not get an internet connection from our cable modem, but our backup DSL worked fine. I tried rebooting the cable modem a few times and it never worked, plugged in the old ZyWall and it was fine. Maybe it's possible to configure a cable modem to only connect to certain MAC addresses, but I didn't feel like screwing with it anymore so that will be a task for future me.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

opengl128 posted:

4k is nice and all, but for me the huge game changer is HDR. Sad thing is tons of low end TV's not even really capable of proper HDR are sold as such which kind of muddies the waters. Watch it on a capable TV and it's mind blowing. John Wick 3 is actually a great example of amazing HDR.

Midsommar is free in UHD/HDR on prime right now, I scanned through just to check out the picture and it's insane how amazing it looks. Also watched Get Out, which had a ton of amazing dark/light contrast.

From the second they announced OLED tvs a few years ago I knew I wanted one, very happy with the purchase so far.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MomJeans420 posted:

Maybe it's possible to configure a cable modem to only connect to certain MAC addresses, but I didn't feel like screwing with it anymore so that will be a task for future me.

It absolutely is. 20 years ago the cable modem I had blacklisted Linksys and Netgear MAC addresses but cloning my desktop MAC to the router let it work just fine.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yup. Even now if I have to change my router, step one is power off the cable modem so that it doesn't have my old router's MAC cached.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
I'm feeling so uncaring I'm thinking about just changing the month on this thread rather than a new one.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Rhyno posted:

I mean, I asked if I should call an electrician.

I didn't mean that to come off as condescending or anything. I suggest calling electrician.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I'm feeling so uncaring I'm thinking about just changing the month on this thread rather than a new one.

I got a new thread queued up if you want me to :justpost:

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yup. Even now if I have to change my router, step one is power off the cable modem so that it doesn't have my old router's MAC cached.

Midjack posted:

It absolutely is. 20 years ago the cable modem I had blacklisted Linksys and Netgear MAC addresses but cloning my desktop MAC to the router let it work just fine.

I guess I'm more wondering why someone would have bothered doing that. Powering it off didn't fix the issue unfortunately. I should have tried plugging in my laptop directly but I was in a hurry to get home.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Safety Dance posted:

I got a new thread queued up if you want me to :justpost:

:justpost: away!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3949759 why not?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

LloydDobler posted:

Other stupid anti-piracy, anti-consumer friendly poo poo: I subscribe to HBO through my Amazon prime account, which gives me HBO max, but I still have to log in to HBO max on my PC to access all their content, they don't stream all of it through their Amazon channel. And HBO max hasn't licensed an app to be used on LG TVs, so none of that can be streamed in 4k. So once again, the promise of being able to nicely curate your own media catalog and only watch what you want to watch is turned in to a giant clusterfuck by greedy paranoid media executives. Here's a clue: You are the reason people pirate poo poo.

Just echoing this thought. Between all the paranoid gatekeeping, and now splitting up the content over 100 services, it's like the *want* you to pirate.
Which reminds me, I need to go delete a torrent on the machine I use for that. I turned off the VPN momentarily and promptly got an email from AT&T regarding an episode of Archer that I may or may not have been sharing. loving poison/tracker torrent.

STR posted:

Goddamn loving meth heads. Cause hundreds in damage for a $100 stereo that they'll get $20 for. Assholes.

STR posted:

e: I stupidly had one of my prescriptions in the car (schedule IV). It's gone. 5-0 are still not very interested, but I'm going to need a police report to get it replaced. :sigh:

What the gently caress? You think cops are there to protect/serve you? gently caress no, you're not a millionaire donor or government. Pleb.

BraveUlysses posted:

:drat:

STR posted:

My apt complex backs up to a wooded area with a large homeless camp in it. It's a gated property, except on that side.

What. The. gently caress.
Ah, yes, the very definition of security theater. Block access from all the obvious, easy to access (and watch) locations, but leave the unwatch back of the property unguarded.

Edit: oh, well, OK, new thread, then.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Darchangel posted:

Just echoing this thought. Between all the paranoid gatekeeping, and now splitting up the content over 100 services, it's like the *want* you to pirate.

And then there's Disney who buy companies and actively work to not pay those who were being paid by that company despite owning and therefore profiting from the sale of those new IPs.

So what I'm saying is never feel bad about pirating Disney poo poo.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MomJeans420 posted:

I guess I'm more wondering why someone would have bothered doing that. Powering it off didn't fix the issue unfortunately. I should have tried plugging in my laptop directly but I was in a hurry to get home.

They wanted you to rent their router at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

See you all in the Dec 2020 thank gently caress 2020 is nearly over thread!