Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Oh man a box of San Cristobal Revelation Prophets mysteriously showed up at my door, and the Cigar Oasis is kicking rear end. Just put a whole box in there and my hygrometer hasn't moved at all. Active humidification is magical.

Plywood is on the way for me to build some custom drawers in there, too. Just gonna do some quick and easy laser cutting with finger joints and wood glue those babies on up. Seasoning will be a breeze with that Oasis, too, haha!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Okay, so for anyone interested in the Q-Flame patio heater I posted, the Q05C is the current model and is currently $500 on preorder. The Q03 is an older model and it is apparently a lot worse than the Q05C which is why it's $250, they do have a limited stock of them if someone specifically wants to buy it.

Q-Flame posted:

But I have to let you know that the reason we put 1 Q-Flame old model Q03 on sale on our website was for a business customer for a special reason. It looks like you were browsing our site and bought it right away. 😊 We do have inventory and it’s brand new. But our current model Q05C (which is available for pre-order) has many improvement from this old model Q03, e.g. better control of the heat output with newer design of the damper, better chimney, different paint, and so on. This Q03, prior to branding ourselves, has no controls (high heat output all the time). It has a damper that was deleted later because it caused smoking and that not to use that piece when it comes. So, if you want to cancel this order, please let us know. Otherwise, you may experience something not perfect using this Q03, which is the reason it’s less than half of the price and we don’t really sell it broadly.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
God i may just order one, then, that sounds good for doing other things, too, like drinking outdoors with my people, while still maintaining a decent amount of distance and not in my home.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Latest 3D printed pipe accessory came out of the printer today (had to do a little fiddling on my printer):

There are a few more projects in the pipe (heh) but I need to work out the kinks in a new CNC mill workflow I've been needing to get going.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

That owns! Those are some sweet pipes too.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Thanks! My spouse loves those little Big Ben Pipos

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I just saw an ad for Tom Eltang pipes and look at this crazy thing. I'd love to have it but it's $1700 and uhhhhh

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/eltang/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=388127

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

That thing is wild as hell.

Also, this green Rattray Fachen pipe is rad as fucccccckkkkkk. I'm so glad I ordered a bunch of 6mm and 9mm balsa filters because this thing whips rear end. I'm 'gized to get a 9mm Kulu metal filter, but this is definitely a great smoke.

e: didn't realize it's a new page, so this one:

Mummy Napkin
Mar 18, 2018
I'm a big fan of stogies and pipes, but I have recently quit smoking cigarettes cold turkey and have been off nicotine completely for a few months. Has anyone successfully maintained a moderate pipe/cigar habit after quitting cigs and staying off? I'm afraid I'll get the taste for the 'tine again and be back to square one.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I quit smoking cigarettes in 2013, and started smoking cigars this year - haven’t craved a cigarette at all. Buuut to be fair, that’s seven years so not the same situation at all.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I was 1.5 PAD unfiltered, vaped for a while, and had a moderate cigar habit until the roni because what the hell else am I gonna do but smoke all day.

FWIW, my experience has been that cigars and pipes are much easier to manage as a whole thing than cigarettes. I haven't really fiended like I used to for cigarettes, or gently caress even vapes.

It's all gonna be personal experience, but this thread is chill and supportive. It's a hobby, and I think I speak for everyone where if the monkey is on your back, we'd all support you and prefer for your health and well being that you not smoke at all rather than rekindle an addiction ♥️

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!
I stopped smoking cigarettes in 2009 haven’t had one since. I vaped for a few years but I also quit that and haven’t gone back in almost three years.

A cigar every 7-10 days is about where I’m at currently.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
For years and years I smoked 2-3 pipes every day. These days I smoke 1-2 a week. My live is still good hth.

Kill_Discussion
Dec 15, 2005

Just watch it...
Autumn Evening is pretty sublime.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Hell yeah, I was just eyeing that for my next order.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Double posting: looks like my mortgage application is going to underwriting, so I'm unwinding and celebrating with one of my aged Centurion H-2K-CT.

This thing is great. I feel like it's even more complex. I've really missed cigars. One day I'll have them more regularly again!

Anyone making anything special for Thanksgiving?

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006

Bastion of Sexual Anarchy
NewFatMike, that pipe is beautiful. Do you have a link to where you got it? I might need one of those

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Sure thing! This is the original listing. I don't know how common is is:

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/Rattrays/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=393190

I cooked the hell out of Thanksgiving today:

My spouse is vegan, so that's how everything went! I made a cornbread-apple-sage stuffed seitan turkey and it went better than I ever could have imagined:

And now, a San Cristobal Revelation and negroni are rounding it out! Hope y'all are having a safe and fun Thanksgiving.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I went the opposite direction and created a McNurkey. Unfortunately the butt/fry basket which was to be the feathers sort of collapsed on me and it ended up looking more like a dinosaur.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

That's one of the best ideas I've heard in my entire life, I love it

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006

A friend added me to a FB group where people, raffle I guess, cigars off. Basically they sell numbers 0-9 for whatever, and the winner is whoever gets the number that corresponds with the fireball on the Illinois pick three lottery,which draws twice a day, everyday. If all ten numbers aren't sold before the next drawing, it rolls over to the next. If it's not closed out, but your number hits, you get the option to buy the remaining numbers or let it roll to the next draw.

Anyways, I got drunk yesterday and wound up winning / buying out a draw for 5 Partagas Shorts and some fancy rear end Opus X variant. My buddy said he would throw some extras in if I could meet up with him so he didn't have to pay for shipping. So we're meeting at the local smoke shop for a bit tomorrow afternoon for a smoke and hand off. I haven't actually made time for a smoke in months, and I haven't hung out with Blake in person in a few years, so I'm looking forward to it. Probably take a flask and maybe a few of my aged sticks to give Blake, just because.

Happy Thanksgiving Cigar Goons.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Hayden posted:

A friend added me to a FB group where people, raffle I guess, cigars off. Basically they sell numbers 0-9 for whatever, and the winner is whoever gets the number that corresponds with the fireball on the Illinois pick three lottery,which draws twice a day, everyday. If all ten numbers aren't sold before the next drawing, it rolls over to the next. If it's not closed out, but your number hits, you get the option to buy the remaining numbers or let it roll to the next draw.

Anyways, I got drunk yesterday and wound up winning / buying out a draw for 5 Partagas Shorts and some fancy rear end Opus X variant. My buddy said he would throw some extras in if I could meet up with him so he didn't have to pay for shipping. So we're meeting at the local smoke shop for a bit tomorrow afternoon for a smoke and hand off. I haven't actually made time for a smoke in months, and I haven't hung out with Blake in person in a few years, so I'm looking forward to it. Probably take a flask and maybe a few of my aged sticks to give Blake, just because.

Happy Thanksgiving Cigar Goons.

Nice! I used to do that for beer. I love gambling so I got real deep into it for a while so just be aware hah.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
I have amassed 500 some cigars from some rare Fuentes, that are worth more I would EVER fuckiny pay, to Cubans and everything in between. I have gone from smoking 2 a day while working to basically none. I am back to dabbling in cigars and feel meh about most I've had.
I feel is time to go back to the pipe. What are websites people use to get pipe tobacco these days?? PipesandCigars do not ship to Utah and would like to try to snag some holiday tinsel if they are still floating around

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
Is the Utah restriction due to some state law? You may need to find a local source, then.

I use pipesandcigars and it’s astounding how cheap pipe tobacco is. I fill mason jars for around $10 and it’s more than I can smoke in any reasonable amount of time. I have a few jars that are some mixes I’ve been doing (i do 50/50 sutliff black cherry and sutliff vanilla custard that i love), and the standard 50/50 lane bca and 1q. I can’t believe anyone makes any money selling tobacco like that.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I've been ordering from SmokingPipes.com largely because the pipe and tobacco locators have been really great for speed running finding favorites and learning different profiles.

Iwan Ries is a classic from right here in Chicago, and they've been fantastic overall. I just don't have enough knowledge yet to know what I want.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Is the Utah restriction due to some state law? You may need to find a local source, then.

Sadly yes, we pay a nasty tax. I've always found cigar places that will still ship to me but some won't. Your blends sound great btw

On a whim I hit up my local B&M and grabbed 3oz of Afternoon delight and the house blend similar to 1q(which i remember smoking) a corn cob pipe and they, luckily, had Crinkle Flake 2020.
Just those 4 things set me back 65 bucks or so. Hence why I'd rather go online as I'm paying nearly 5 bucks an ounce lol.

That being said, sitting in my car on a lunch break and enjoying a bowl was so very refreshing and relaxing. I mostly forgot how enjoyable smoking a pipe is.

Edit: kinda dumb but I'm excited to get home and use my Nording pipe. Gotta find a way to smoke outside as mornings and evenings are in the maybe 20's.

Tiny Chalupa fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Nov 28, 2020

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Oooh my plywood arrived today and I was planning on going to the makerspace tomorrow to knock a bunch of stuff out. I guess I'm adding humidor trays to the list! This is going to be great fun.

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006

Just got home from meeting up with my buddy. Wound up with 5 Partagas Shorts, and Opus X 20th Anniversary, and he threw in an H. Upmann Mag 46 as well. Very excited about all of those.

Had a few N.A. beers(my buddy is dry now) and smoked a Tatuaje Havana Verocu No. 3, a corona larga. It was an excellent smoke, full bodied but not overpowering, and it was great to catch up with a few friends I've not seen in far too long.

I know I say it every time I post in here, but I'm going to start making more time for a smoke, and also try and find time to sneak off to the smoke shop periodically as well.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I smoked a La Barba One and Only and a Kristoff Criollo. I don't remember much about the La Barba cause it was a couple of days ago but it was decent. The Kristoff Criollo was a bit more enjoyable, very nutty. I also finished the last of the sixty McNuggets I ordered to make the McNurkey.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Currently working 7 days a week, gotta love my Job this time of year, so smoking a pipe again is FANTASTIC. If I have to set it down, I'm not effectively wasting a chunk of my smoke like a cigar.
It is also very enjoyable to be able to vary my smoke times. Last night, first time in years smoking a pipe again, i was maybe 30 minutes a bowl.
This morning before work? A solid 45 minutes watching the sunrise. It was super relaxing.

I've been catching up on the thread and I am happy to see it being quite active. Very exciting stuff.

Anywho, I'm hunting for a new pipe. I only have my beastly Nording pipe, which I love, and some corn cobs. Poking around at smokingpipes and deciding if I want to try a different company. A shorter, more traditional, pipe is super appealing. Your pipe looks great NFM! I'll check out that company some today

Ordered this lighter:
https://www.smokingpipes.com/accessories/lighters/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=244373

Excited for this to come in. Kiribi Takara Brass

Tiny Chalupa fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Nov 29, 2020

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I think I've done it. I've finally reached maximum overload on cigars and haven't bought any in two weeks. I'm still smoking about one a day but I didn't even bat an eye at the iHavanas or COH deals on Black Friday. Hopefully I am now free from the curse of constantly buying cigars. I was tempted by the CigarBid special today of 10 Oliva V Melanio but I stayed strong.

I am super excited for this crazy rear end patio heater I ordered to get here. I hope it's as good as advertised. Towards the end of a cigar even on the nicer day/nights it's starting to get a bit nipply and it's only November.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
Is your patio covered? I don't have anything with a roof outside so I'm apprehensive about getting something like that if it's going to rust. Maybe my spring project should be building a brick patio in my back yard behind my house...

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Is your patio covered? I don't have anything with a roof outside so I'm apprehensive about getting something like that if it's going to rust. Maybe my spring project should be building a brick patio in my back yard behind my house...

We do have a roof on our patio and they have a cover you can buy to protect it when you're not using it.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!
The cover I got for my patio heater has been surprisingly good through a few really lovely storms we have had. Beats hauling it into the garage or shed before a storm.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I decided to try mixing 1:1 by weight Lane BCA and Stokkebye PS24 Nougat, and that's a stellar combination.

I'm going to end up blending and CNCing tobacco accessories like some sort of awful steampunk

:negative:

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

NewFatMike posted:

That thing is wild as hell.

Also, this green Rattray Fachen pipe is rad as fucccccckkkkkk. I'm so glad I ordered a bunch of 6mm and 9mm balsa filters because this thing whips rear end. I'm 'gized to get a 9mm Kulu metal filter, but this is definitely a great smoke.

e: didn't realize it's a new page, so this one:

The more I look at this pipe, the more I want either the same one or one similar!
Is that considered a bulldog shape or a Rhodesian?
What number fachen is that as I can't find it on smokingpipes?

Thanks

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

They've got it listed as a Rhodesian, here's the original listing:

Glad you like it! I love it myself.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

NewFatMike posted:

They've got it listed as a Rhodesian, here's the original listing:

Glad you like it! I love it myself.

Now I'm browsing every Rhodesian and bulldog I can find. Staring at this bad boy thinking of grabbing it

I'm trying to justify the cost when I could maybe grab 2 other pipes but it's so pretty and I only have Nording + corn cob pipes currently. Corn cobs stay in my car for work smokes
Peterson, Savinelli and Rattrays are on my list of pipes to add.
So many pipes to choose from, hard to decide.

In case the pic doesn't show
https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/peterson/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=389594

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
My best smokers are my Savinellis and Cavicchis, followed by an old vintage Dunhill I have. On the other hand, one of my absolute worst smokers is a small bulldog Savinelli.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Whelp in a somewhat surprising turn after going through literally 100's of different pipes with relatively "normal" looks I decided to just say screw it and grab

https://imgur.com/a/q9Ng8aQ

Peterson Christmas 2020(406) Fishtail
&
Savinelli Saint Nicholas 2017(321)

Reviews for both seemed really positive, they are unique in colour and I have thing for bent Bulldogs and/or Rhodesian esq shapes.
I enjoy clinching my pipes so straight stems don't really do it for me.
Hope to get them this week with my fancy new lighter!

Now to track down some new tobacco....

Tiny Chalupa fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Dec 1, 2020