Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Two games against bad teams but also lmao

https://twitter.com/tankathon/status/1333061989896216578?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Clones were somehow losing at the half to Arkansas Pine Bluff. Still won comfortably, but not a good omen for the season.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

that a/to ratio is miserable, he's gotta bring that up

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Oakland came very, very close to beating Michigan. Michigan beat Bowling Green with plenty of room, then looked like they've never played against a zone their entire life. Then Michigan realized they have BIG (Hunter) DICKENSON ENERGY and a 7'2" Center will crack a zone.

https://twitter.com/umhoops/status/1333219884352856064

https://twitter.com/AceAnbender/status/1333219981664903171

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Presumably Oakland is at closer to full strength now right?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Henchman of Santa posted:

Presumably Oakland is at closer to full strength now right?

Yep. One of their lead scorers is bothered by a shoulder injury, but he had plenty of points. The close game was a combination of Michigan's best point guard (a transfer) getting in foul trouble, the team clanking wide-open 3s, and complete vapor lock when dealing with a zone. Michigan had like 15 turnovers going into the half and Isiah Livers yelled at Juwan Howard and tossed a Gatorade cooler (they made up quick).

It took them far too long to realize that if you're clanking attempts to shoot over the zone, feed the big fucker in the post.

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Murray State scored 173 points today against Greenville. Shoutouts to buckets

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Katana_Warrior posted:

Murray State scored 173 points today against Greenville. Shoutouts to buckets

https://goracers.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats/2020-21/greenville/boxscore/9156

That sure is a box score. Greenville got 95 too :psyduck:

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

the fact that Murray state had 22 turnovers is wild too, they must have been sprinting up and down the court all game

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I hope it ends up on YouTube or something, I’d say those are video game numbers but only after you screwed around with the game time

This is the team that lost!

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

I just noticed that Greenville took 74 3's lmaoooooooo i love it i love it

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Katana_Warrior posted:

I just noticed that Greenville took 74 3's lmaoooooooo i love it i love it

murray state took THIRTEEN

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

they dropped 173 points and only hit FIVE THREES

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

to hopefully answer some questions, i looked up and found a piece on Greenville's head coach's system

quote:

Create More Possessions, Score More Points
In the 2018-19 season, Dr. George Barber’s Greenville University basketball team set the NCAA Division III record for scoring offense when it averaged 135.1 points per game. Greenville also led the nation in a number of offensive categories. In this video, you will learn Barber’s “System” and how its fast-paced style of play has helped his teams consistently rank in the top five in college basketball (all divisions). Coach Barber details his system in this video using whiteboard diagrams as well as on-court demonstrations in an actual practice setting. Beginning with his philosophy, Coach Barber shares with you his system of offense, defense, and how to plan practices to succeed.

Offense
The offense is predicated on getting a shot off within 12 seconds. Once the shot is off, Barber preaches a smothering defense designed to get the ball back as quickly as possible. When an opponent scores, players are taught a three-step method for getting the ball out of the rim and getting up the floor in transition. Players are also taught to get to certain spots on the floor and get into the offense as soon as possible. Barber’s offense can easily be combined with any other offense like the dribble-drive or read and react.

Defense
In Barber’s style of play, after every made basket players immediately get into attack mode on defense. Coach Barber likes to use a variety of trapping full-court presses, which help to force opponents to speed up. It also makes them uncomfortable. The same is true in the half-court where Barber likes to trap all over the floor. By forcing the ball to a side, opponents set themselves up for the trap and fall into exactly what Barber wants.

Practice Planning
The System is played at a frenetic pace with 12 to 15 players getting quality minutes throughout the course of a game. Practices have to be designed to prepare those 12 to 15 players for what is to come on game day. Barber has his players engaged in some form of shooting drills for at least 30 minutes each day. Every drill is designed so that players get as many reps as possible in a short amount of time. This simulates game pace. Players will spend another 30 to 40 minutes on defense in practice. They must learn to trap, rotate, and continually put pressure on opponents. If you are looking to build your program around a philosophy that lives on fast-paced offense and pressure defense, Coach Barber has exactly what you need! Rent the George Barber Basketball System DVD today.

his system plan is $6.97 at https://coachtube.com/course/basket...-system/7459249 if youre interested

Katana_Warrior fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Nov 30, 2020

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
so he took the grinnell guy's system and then tried to claim it as his own?

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Katana_Warrior posted:

to hopefully answer some questions, i looked up and found a piece on Greenville's head coach's system

his system plan is $6.97 at https://coachtube.com/course/basket...-system/7459249 if youre interested

Yet Murray State scored more points off turnovers than Greenville.

MourningView posted:

so he took the grinnell guy's system and then tried to claim it as his own?

Yup. Except that he's trying to sell it as serious where as Grinnell was created to be a fun gimmick. Clearly the defensive part of the scheme isn't working, so he might want to steal/claim Paul Westhead's System instead.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Scoring 95 on just 28% shooting and losing by 80 is truly the most buckwild stat I think I’ve ever seen

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Yet Murray State scored more points off turnovers than Greenville.

Yup. Except that he's trying to sell it as serious where as Grinnell was created to be a fun gimmick. Clearly the defensive part of the scheme isn't working, so he might want to steal/claim Paul Westhead's System instead.

Arseneault has definitely made some money selling books or doing clinics teaching his system but yeah he is generally fairly open about that fact that it's an insane way to play that he only does because he is coaching a team full of hopeless 5'8" nerds and was desperate.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Theres a highlight reel up from Murray State
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AT5BH2QN_M4

Fans of alley-oops should watch.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/itsallG_O_O_D/status/1333460490278854659

Big 10 gonna be wild this year. Also I doubt illinois will crack top 5 again, surprised they moved up after escaping with the win last Friday

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
3 is way too high for Iowa. They're going to have a good season that leaves everyone pissed off because they were expecting a top 10 team.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Rank SDSU cowards

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
e: poo poo, misread and thought what I was posting about was basketball

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Nov 30, 2020

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Just now had a thought and looked it up to find that they're holding the Maui Invitational in Asheville, NC, which is about as different an surrounding environment as can be imagined.

Glad they didn't try to force hundreds of people onto a small island, in the name of "tradition" or some bullshit, though.

edit: this season is obviously a huge and stupid risk and shouldn't go forward but the one slightly endearing thing about it is how so many of the makeup/reschedule games are bordering on pickup games in their level of organization and planning.

elentar fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 1, 2020

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I was curious how Kentucky lost to unranked Richmond and then I noticed they shot 0% from 3 which is not ideal

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Richmond is also very good

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

MourningView posted:

Richmond is also very good

To quote my brother “Unsurprising since UR’s players are all 32 and UK’s are 17!”

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Yo wtf

https://twitter.com/L_Martinez13/status/1333487825027813380?s=19

Texas is playing right now and I thought they got a new coach!

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Wow he's been stealing bald man valor all this time what the hell

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
I appreciate him giving us bald guys cover, we could totally have a full head of hair, we just choose to shave instead.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

No man willingly goes bald.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Duke gonna get beat?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

kiimo posted:

Duke gonna get beat?

50 seconds left, MSU up 10.

gently caress DUKE

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
First gently caress Duke of the season

gently caress Izzo too though

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

facialimpediment posted:

Yo wtf

https://twitter.com/L_Martinez13/status/1333487825027813380?s=19

Texas is playing right now and I thought they got a new coach!

quarantine’s been hard on all of us

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

ColdBlooded posted:

First gently caress Duke of the season

gently caress Izzo too though

17.9 left, Duke down 5. May be a rescinding of the gently caress DUKE for a gently caress duke.

Edit: nevermind gently caress DUKE

https://twitter.com/samstein/status/1333963888988131335

https://twitter.com/BresPolitico/status/1333963795178418178

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Dec 2, 2020

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Izzo is more unlikable than Duke

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Self and Calipari wearing matching masks that you can see through like a loving négligée or something how’s that poo poo supposed to help with Covid at all

Wooglin
Sep 5, 2002

kiimo posted:

Self and Calipari wearing matching masks that you can see through like a loving négligée or something how’s that poo poo supposed to help with Covid at all

My wife was just like “I can see through that loving thing!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

lmfao Calipari just got out on the middle of the floor and coached

edit: Self should get out there and block him out to show his players what to do