Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

sexpig by night posted:

really no reason to not do it for Fellowship, Towers and King are kinda hit or miss depending what you like about Lord of the Rings but Fellowship was objectively improved by the extended version.

I’d say Return of the King is the most improved, mostly for the conclusion of the Saruman arc, but also the Mouth of Sauron scene. And plenty of others.

But really, they’re all objectively better. I get why they couldn’t be released in theaters. But once you can pause the movie to go to the bathroom, there’s no reason to watch the theatrical cuts. The extended cuts are just better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
oh yea I'm 100% on team 'all the extended versions are better' but I'm a big Rings nerd (a Ringo, some may say) so any more well made content is good as hell for me

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I guess.

But it's hard for me to imagine a scenario where my biggest problems with the LOTR films were "you know...they just weren't LONG enough".

I've come to the conclusion that after all these years of the books and then the films that I'm really not that much of a fan. I love The Hobbit book and read it one day as a 12 year old but when I delved into the LOTR trilogy it didn't take me long to get confused and bored and tbh I found myself skimming over a lot of it by the start of TTT. So much of it just drags and I have zero desire to ever watch the movies again. I'm saying this as huge D&D Tolkien nerd growing up and I didn't even finish reading that trilogy.

I greatly enjoyed parts of the books as well as the films and the whole thing is undoubtedly impressive with some fantastic set pieces just...large parts of it honestly bore me. Not trying to be That Guy or contrarian just for the sake of it either.

And good lord, the idea of ROTK (the movie) not being LONG enough is something I can't even begin to wrap my head around. I thought that bitch was never going to end when I saw it in the theater.

I mean, I appreciate them and get why people love them but they were convoluted and overblown then and still are for my taste.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
The thing is that RotK theatrical cut does legitimately have fat on it. It is both long and narratively incomplete.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Having rewatched all three theatrical versions over the holiday break I think the movies continue to hold up incredibly well.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
They're all excellent movies that are the definition of lightning in a bottle. There's no wrong way to enjoy them.

Extended cuts are best though :v:

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

bravo to whoever edited that unnecessary Hobbit Trilogy down to one 4 hour film that I still haven't bothered to watch

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
The Hobbit movies are depressingly cynical, and the behind the scenes stuff doesn't make it any better. There's a picture of Ian McKellen breaking down on set because he couldn't take acting against a bunch of green screen anymore. :smith:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Marin Karin posted:

The Hobbit movies are depressingly cynical, and the behind the scenes stuff doesn't make it any better. There's a picture of Ian McKellen breaking down on set because he couldn't take acting against a bunch of green screen anymore. :smith:

Oh do you mean WTFFUNFACT #3960?

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

loving lmao at the little cut-out picture of Bilbo just floating there for him to act against.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Yeah, for this month at least, gonna bump up the ole' Patreon past 5
Too much good this month

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I’m aggressively not a LOTR fan but my partner is, and I do like Peter Jackson...but god am I gonna do this extended cut?

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Are the extended cuts streaming anywhere? I only have the theatrical cuts on bluray.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Pops Mgee posted:

Are the extended cuts streaming anywhere? I only have the theatrical cuts on bluray.

If you’re including as part of a purchase, iTunes has them. If you mean as a part of a streaming service, I don’t think so.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

teen witch posted:

I’m aggressively not a LOTR fan but my partner is, and I do like Peter Jackson...but god am I gonna do this extended cut?

tbh if you're not a big fan you don't need to, like already said there's no WRONG way to watch them, theater cut is still fantastic.

But hey if you've got the extended cut already no reason NOT to watch it either...

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Lord of the Rings is the book that taught me that if a book has a massive chunk of italicized text you should skip it.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

weekly font posted:

Lord of the Rings is the book that taught me that if a book has a massive chunk of italicized text you should skip it.

Chris Collision's 'never read any song lyrics or poetry included in a novel' rule is truly one to live by.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

So I've never listened to an episode of Hooker on TJ Hooker before (I have such a podcast backlog already) but I may have to listen just because of how much this is going to anger some people (I couldn't be more delighted). To quote the WHM FB, "Tune into the latest HOOKED ON T.J. HOOKER for more, as Eric takes his Trump impression for a 1 hour and 48 minute walk".

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Eric is really channeling his inner Andy Kaufman and it's glorious. Kudos to him and Ben for really committing to the bit

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
hey I don't know if whoever from the podcast still lurks here or not but can we get a wellness check on Eric just to be sure.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Eric is the one that lurks...

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Well, he did lurk. He also occasionally posted at the time. But that hasn’t happened in a long time, so I’m not sure he ever comes by anymore.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Nobody ever stops lurking. Someone make a Zapruder Film thread that’ll get him out of hiding.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

weekly font posted:

Nobody ever stops lurking. Someone make a Zapruder Film thread that’ll get him out of hiding.

Now we're talking.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

as long as its a gif heavy OP

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

weekly font posted:

"MINDBLOWING 4k Zapruder Film Restoration [56k shot from the grassy knoll]"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
hey I retract my comments about not being sure how many goofs they can wring out of Citizen Kane this episode loving owns and I was a fool to doubt the wisdom of the WHM boys.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

lol the Muldoon's Facebook page got the gang a happy anniversary cameo from an old friend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuKtqUKdm9Q

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

We are all people chickens indeed Gary Busey, indeed.

admataY
Oct 16, 2008
Thats a lovely greeting from Holly hunter posted here .

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I was admiring that 2000+ dollar acoustic until he started playing it then I was just howling with laughter. Dude sure has had a life.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

weekly font posted:

lol the Muldoon's Facebook page got the gang a happy anniversary cameo from an old friend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuKtqUKdm9Q

Amazing.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
I'm super surprised they haven't done a WLM on Roger Rabbit yet considering how much they reference it. The Citizen Kane/Roger Rabbit mashup they did in the latest episode was giving me some good laughs.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Ya know, Citizen Kane actually is a really good movie

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

sponges posted:

Ya know, Citizen Kane actually is a really good movie

getting controversial here!

but yea this ep did make me rewatch it for the zillionth time, still good!

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Lol never seen it. But now I might have to!

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

After listening to most of the Nexus now, I have to say they make Star Trek more entertaining than it is for me. I’ve tried watching some of the episodes they go over and it sends me to nap town. Guess I’m just not a Trek guy.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Invalid Validation posted:

After listening to most of the Nexus now, I have to say they make Star Trek more entertaining than it is for me. I’ve tried watching some of the episodes they go over and it sends me to nap town. Guess I’m just not a Trek guy.

I mean, Bones isn’t actually into nu-metal, so that’s inevitable.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Invalid Validation posted:

TNG was really bad in S1, and was slowly getting better in S2. There are lists online of like the 4-5 episodes you should watch from them total and then skip to S3 when Gates McFadden comes back. My viewing was my happier when I finally got to S3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

GoutPatrol posted:

There are lists online of like the 4-5 episodes you should watch from them total and then skip to S3 when Gates McFadden comes back.

Just to save people the trouble:

-Encounter at Far Point (I was surprised to find a lot of people don't like it. I think it's a fine introduction to the characters and the world despite it being quite different in places. Plus, Q)
- Datalore
- Skin of Evil
- Conspiracy
- Measure of a Man
- Q Who
- The Emissary

Unfortunately some of those episodes lose a lot of their impact by not getting to know the characters so I would instead advocate powering through all Season 1 and 2 except for the REALLY bad episodes:

- The Naked Now
- Code of Honor
- The Last Outpost
- Angel One
- The Outrageous Okona
- Up The Long Ladder
- Shades of Grey

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Dec 4, 2020