Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

luminalflux posted:

you got it in your 2nd sentence - latency to a large portion of US population and europe and people think that network latency is what matters the most. Never mind that your app's API latency p50 is 150ms inside your app server, or that you can use edge computing (CDNs, Cloudflare Workers, Lambda@Edge) to put stuff closer to the user, they must be in us-east-1 for ~performance reasons~

sorry our current production vpc is 172.16.0.0/12 so we can't migrate anywhere ever again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Biowarfare posted:

sorry our current production vpc is 172.16.0.0/12 so we can't migrate anywhere ever again

stop doxxing me pls

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

At least your prod network isn't squatting on an ip range that is actually in use on the Internet, like one of my customers :v:

Coincidentally, its the old "default" Siemens ip range they used in docs over 20 years ago, 140.80.0.0/16.

They had a mysterious network meltdown that stopped everything for most of a day a couple of years ago, but no one has been willing to fess up about why/how it happened.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Worked with a client that used 100.0.0.0/8 or something equally absurd - I insisted it needed to be changed before I gave up and moved on with my life. They called back when they started using AWS and some weird NAT fuckery with the VPN rendered their one critical app used nationwide unusable in Calfornia because apparently a lot of that block is in use there.

Edit: the backend stuff was still on prem. it was hilariously stupid

i am a moron fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Nov 27, 2020

Assorted Gubbins
Oct 28, 2017

Agrikk posted:

For the life of me I don’t understand why people don’t move into us-west-2. It has rough feature parity with us-east-1 with fewer issues, whereas us-west-1 is in the SF Bay Area where power, space, bandwidth and talent are at a premium which drives up cost.

HEY! HEY! DON'T TELL PEOPLE TO MOVE THERE! :mad:

They'll just all move there and then us-west-2 will be crowded and slow just like us-east-1 is. Don't let people in on the secret!

Christ, always ruining it for the rest of us.

For anyone else reading, us-west-2 BLOWS, don't use it, use us-west-1. It's in the SF Bay Area so it's never subject to any, uh, rain-related power outages, yes, that's it. Oregon goes down ALL THE TIME because of rain. You don't want it.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

more expensive is better, so my load is divided between sao paolo and bahrain

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Assorted Gubbins posted:

For anyone else reading, us-west-2 BLOWS, don't use it, use us-west-1. It's in the SF Bay Area so it's never subject to any, uh, rain-related power outages, yes, that's it. Oregon goes down ALL THE TIME because of rain. You don't want it.

Hey! That's not always the case, sometimes it goes down because we're on fire. :mad:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I've got some bad news about California on that front

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'm not entirely sure why the gently caress I have to tell a 16 year old self-proclaimed nerd how to install loving Windows, but here I am, doing stupid poo poo like fighting with him over WhatsApp as to why the gently caress he's supposed to delete the ancillary partitions on the "new" drive he's about to install to, even tho he doesn't even have a concept of what a partition really is.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm not entirely sure why the gently caress I have to tell a 16 year old self-proclaimed nerd how to install loving Windows, but here I am, doing stupid poo poo like fighting with him over WhatsApp as to why the gently caress he's supposed to delete the ancillary partitions on the "new" drive he's about to install to, even tho he doesn't even have a concept of what a partition really is.

If you ask for my help and we don't have an actual professional relationship -- like you're my relative or whatever -- you can take my advice or you can do it yourself. I'm not going to argue with you about it. You asked me for my advice, and if you don't want it that's fine, but then you don't get any more.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

guppy posted:

take my advice or you can do it yourself

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Combat Pretzel posted:

If he's a self proclaimed nerd, why hasn't he installed Arch or Devuan yet

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

There's nerds and then there's nerds. Some nerds install Linux, some install new drivers so they can play Apex.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Biowarfare posted:

If he's a self proclaimed nerd, why hasn't he installed Arch or Devuan yet
It's kind of sad. He wants to go study computer sciences eventually, but I try to keep getting him to spend some time on productive stuff (sometimes he does, but it's rare), but it always falls to the wayside because games. A long while ago I could at least partially understand, when my sister limited their computer use to get them play outside and/or other kids. I don't know, if installing Windows overwhelms you, you're not ready to go deeper into the field.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

Combat Pretzel posted:

It's kind of sad. He wants to go study computer sciences eventually, but I try to keep getting him to spend some time on productive stuff (sometimes he does, but it's rare), but it always falls to the wayside because games. A long while ago I could at least partially understand, when my sister limited their computer use to get them play outside and/or other kids. I don't know, if installing Windows overwhelms you, you're not ready to go deeper into the field.

I feel like a lot of initial computer interest came out of getting shareware games to install and run on DOS on my parents 486. That command line stuff is probably the oldest IT related knowledge I still use on a daily basis.

I also remember hearing about how kids today would all be ‘computer whiz’ types with how much they use them on a daily basis, but then came along tablets and phones which essentially hide and lock down all deeper OS components outside of ‘touch to run app’.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I've spent the last hour arguing with a Frontier support person and sweet jesus I'm so annoyed. I'm not going to bore you with the details but when they ran out of things to try they decided to convince me that I'm not actually having a problem with my home internet and I can assure you that it was not a winning strategy.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

I feel like a lot of initial computer interest came out of getting shareware games to install and run on DOS on my parents 486. That command line stuff is probably the oldest IT related knowledge I still use on a daily basis.

I also remember hearing about how kids today would all be ‘computer whiz’ types with how much they use them on a daily basis, but then came along tablets and phones which essentially hide and lock down all deeper OS components outside of ‘touch to run app’.

I'm basically a zoomer and my initial computer interest was game hacking (asm, debugging crap, evading anticheats). Prepare for a terrible opinionated shitpost that you can ignore if you want.

It seems like stuff these days is nearly entirely to consume, not produce. The baseline for a computer whiz is basically being able to access the settings menu at this point - tinkering with something is heavily discouraged outside of educational roped-off areas where you are "allowed" to, with massive penalties otherwise. Many games will not even run if you have a VM or developer tools open in any way (like Visual Studio itself triggers a ban just hanging around with nothing open because of IsDebuggerPresent). You can even see how Minecraft transitioned over the years from a moddable, hackable version into a locked down (W10) "you can purchase skins with Minecoins from the Microsoft Store" version. Most games on mobile do jailbreak and root checks also (to prevent botting/cheating/fraud presumably), so if you actually do tinker with your device past the settings menu, you are no longer allowed to play with friends and treated like a criminal. It doesn't help that many major multiplayer publishers also subscribe to third party player blacklists (fingerprinting, personal info hashes, uploading the MACaddr of every wifi network and bluetooth network near you to cross-detect devices across PC and mobile, etc) to ban someone if they are detected as abusive on other games/platforms/companies (seriously). Laptops turned into locked down remotely-managed MDM Chromebooks that also record kids when they're at home.

With some games, you literally can't even have developer tools installed or usable. Some of the rootkit-anticheat-managed ones automatically block you for having virt tools even installed or AMD-V/VT-X enabled in BIOS. Want to play a game? Reboot into bios setup. Want to run docker or vagrant or Android Studio emulator? Reboot into bios setup.

I feel like Gaia Online, Neopets and Myspace encouraged the use of HTML/CSS and learning it to customise your pages; it was a very low bar to entry (paste stuff into a text box vs signing up for Github and creating a git repo on the command line and a gh-pages branch), poo poo I was doing HTML at 5-6 because of Neopets. Back then, without a credit card where else would I put a site or any pages at all? Everything these days is a walled garden where you just provide personal info and they will handle the display of it how they feel like, one-way consumption. HTML-related tangent: game fansites have basically gone away, I can't think of many remaining. All of the content is monopolized by a few large advertising companies like Curse or Zam or Fandom that have full time paid staff to datamine a game and produce a wiki, then cross-promote it across their other properties or offer the game publisher 20% of the ad revenue or something. Another all-consumption no-production change.

Impotence fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 29, 2020

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

That and the lack of abundance of things. And no internet. You had to figure out things on your own. And plenty of technical magazines in the 90ies, because there wasn't much else.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
To be honest you don't need to be "good at computers" to be a professional computer toucher, and the further you sway towards the science part of computer science that bar gets lower and lower.

The only thing you need to succeed, which is true of any career to be honest, is the willingness to either learn or work out what you don't understand.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

guppy posted:

If you ask for my help and we don't have an actual professional relationship -- like you're my relative or whatever -- you can take my advice or you can do it yourself. I'm not going to argue with you about it. You asked me for my advice, and if you don't want it that's fine, but then you don't get any more.

You must know my father in law:

Agrikk, I’m getting new internet service because they are cutting down the tree that has my dish on it. Do I need a new router?

:) If your old router belongs to you then no, you don’t need a new one.

New ISP is saying I need to buy [fancy pants 802.infinity supreme gigahertz deluxe]. Do I need that?

:) No, your current router has never given you any problems. This new router is full of new wireless technology that your ten year old printer and eleven year old laptop won’t be able to use

Agrikk, I went ahead and bought fancy pants 802.infinity supreme gigahertz deluxe for $300. Was that a good deal?

[At this point I stopped responding.]

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Agrikk posted:

they are cutting down the tree that has my dish on it

I'm the Wifi 6 with a 1 Mbps satellite connection connected to it

Assorted Gubbins
Oct 28, 2017

Combat Pretzel posted:

That and the lack of abundance of things. And no internet. You had to figure out things on your own. And plenty of technical magazines in the 90ies, because there wasn't much else.

Agreed with this and biowarfare's post - I got into fiddling with computers because of games, mostly specifically because of the good old 640k limit, and having to do absurd poo poo with QEMM and other things to get enough of that precious precious 640k for games to run. I considered it a win if I didn't have to make a separate bootdisk for a game, though that said I'm most proud of the bootdisk I made for Descent 1 where I managed to get a staggering (to me) 624k free. That, plus fiddling with IRQs for soundcards and CD-ROM drives. Plus poo poo like, after the 3rd time in two months that my system crashed and I had to reinstall DOS/Windows 3.11), working out that a previous power outage/surge/lightning strike/whothefuck knows had damaged part of the 500 MB Conner (I think they got bought by Seagate?) disk and every time the system got around to trying to write to those sectors it hosed itself. Simple fix, running scandisk and having it mark those as bad sectors, but what would be a two second Google now (well, most likely it wouldn't happen since the disk heads now have capacitors to allow enough power to auto-park them, plus, y'know, the existence of SSDs), was a lot of pain and effort when I was 10 because I didn't have the info and had to work out what was going on, or likely going on.

I think others have posted in the past that it does seem the millennial generation was uniquely positioned to gain skills working with computers because of the state of computing technology - computers were much more widespread than in the 70s/early 80s and didn't require one to be a computer engineer for basic use, but still weren't dumbed-down consumer devices with all the edges sanded off. There were enough rough edges to sometimes require you to dive in and figure poo poo out, especially if you wanted to do something demanding (like games) and THAT skill, being willing to say "gently caress it, what happens if I press this button? yeah it'll probably break things but I'll just have to fix it" is really the sine qua non of working in IT (or at least, being good at it). These days it's really easy to use computers without ever seeing any rough edges, so you have to be motivated to find those edges and be interested in figuring stuff out, rather than having it shoved on you as a necessary skill for working with computers.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

The first time I heard this thinking I pointed out that cars have been a simple fact of life for most people for over 50 years. Yet anything more complex that "Turn the key and car goes vroom" is completely foreign to most people.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Varkk posted:

The first time I heard this thinking I pointed out that cars have been a simple fact of life for most people for over 50 years. Yet anything more complex that "Turn the key and car goes vroom" is completely foreign to most people.

Cars are starting to approach the walled garden scenario, where it is not permissible to even open the hood and automatically report all telemetry back to HQ and keep a continuous connection going and all servicing must be done at an authorised shop or else it disables itself.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Varkk posted:

That's true, but a major difference is that you can try to work on your computer without risking death, other than I guess a scenario where you are working on internal hardware and don't unplug the power supply. Everyone always tells me brake pads are easy, but the problem is that if I gently caress it up, I will die, so I let the pros do it. You aren't going to break anything on your computer without a lot of warning, in most cases.

I don't know poo poo about cars and I would like to, but if you didn't have a parent who knew cars, you didn't learn.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

guppy posted:

That's true, but a major difference is that you can try to work on your computer without risking death, other than I guess a scenario where you are working on internal hardware and don't unplug the power supply. Everyone always tells me brake pads are easy, but the problem is that if I gently caress it up, I will die, so I let the pros do it. You aren't going to break anything on your computer without a lot of warning, in most cases.

I don't know poo poo about cars and I would like to, but if you didn't have a parent who knew cars, you didn't learn.

I'd be leery about letting a random computer toucher do work on a computer that manages irradiation therapy etc.

Though those have had a tendency of killing people even without some jackass loving with them first :downs:

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Biowarfare posted:

Cars are starting to approach the walled garden scenario, where it is not permissible to even open the hood and automatically report all telemetry back to HQ and keep a continuous connection going and all servicing must be done at an authorised shop or else it disables itself.

This is the only way that the "Self Driving car utopia" could happen. They would be so drat expensive, because to ensure safety, you're looking at several times the amount of near-constant maintence required.
I either see cars becoming a ultra-luxury good again, and the expansion of public transportation, or private ownership of cars is outlawed and you "lease" them.

Hell, could have cars automatically drive themselves to the repair centers during the night.

You do NOT want Joe-Blow messing with the onboard computer to "tune" the engine, or do a sick vehicle lowering mod.

There also could not be different brands. If all the vehicles need to be communicating with each other, you need exact standards across every single one.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
the future is ebikes

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Biowarfare posted:

I'm the Wifi 6 with a 1 Mbps satellite connection connected to it

I'd think the service would be pretty good, it's right next to the trunk.

Pissing me off even more than that pun pissed all you off: there is a system I patch twice a month (well, once a month for prod and once for non-prod). The past three times I've done it services outside of my control haven't come up correctly. The first time, it was noted what went wrong and that the software guy's runbook for starting the software and validating it needed to be updated. It hasn't been. It's still the same problem as last month (except for the time someone managed to delete half the SQL packages from a DB server). Two weeks from now I do it again, anyone want to guess if it's going to be fixed by then?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I hate getting an on-call call, at like 6:30am on Monday.

1. I'm not even on call this week, I was on call LAST week.
2. I'm taking a shower and driving into work. Just put a ticket in and I'll fix it when I get there.

Also, CEO admin assistant bitch called the helpdesk service because she couldn't get online (Verizon Mifi issue). They called me, I called her back, and she had already called my boss direct for help. wtf

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Goddammit. I wasn't here last week, and our desktop support guy tested positive on Thursday. So I'll be running around fixing poo poo. Bah. Gave my boss a muscle relaxer and I'm guessing he'll be going home soon so I'll be by myself for the week.

1 person who is WFH right now is the only one in our department that hasn't gotten it yet.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Ahhh it's that time of year

"Plugged a space heater into my power strip and now my poo poo don't work"

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Bob Morales posted:

1 person who is WFH right now is the only one in our department that hasn't gotten it yet.

Gee, I wonder why. :thunk:

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

abigserve posted:

To be honest you don't need to be "good at computers" to be a professional computer toucher, and the further you sway towards the science part of computer science that bar gets lower and lower.

The only thing you need to succeed, which is true of any career to be honest, is the willingness to either learn or work out what you don't understand.

I am living proof of this statement

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

A ton of the job is just being tenacious about solving a problem.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
I graduated college in the early 90s. The number of my classmates who ended up in the computer field, regardless of major, is substantial. The middle to late 90s was a time when having half a brain and the ability to work with others gave you a huge leg up. I know a lot of folks, myself included, who were working crap jobs in our original majors and figured out that we could actually earn a decent living and jumped at the opportunity.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
gently caress my coworkers who refuse to wear a mask. Just gently caress them.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
As deaths spike, some of the supermarkets here are now moving to a "no exceptions at all, we don't care what your medical problem is, order curbside pickup if you refuse to wear a mask" model finally

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Pissing me off:

Troubleshooting performance issues.

I have a proof of concept involving two standalone database servers behind a load balancer. Both servers have identical data and configurations.

The work flow is:
Server A leaves from the LB target group
Server A processes new inbound data batch
Server A reregisters with LB
Server B leaves target group
Server B processes new inbound data
Server B reregisters with LB

Total time to process is 12 minutes.

Now one would expect a spike in SELECT query responsiveness while the server is processing data and testing a single node LB bears this out.

But with a pair of servers, and with each removing itself from the load balancer during processing, one would expect zero spikes in SELECT query responsiveness when sending the request through the load balancer.

And yet the spike remains. And I have no idea why.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Agrikk posted:

Pissing me off:

Troubleshooting performance issues.

I have a proof of concept involving two standalone database servers behind a load balancer. Both servers have identical data and configurations.

The work flow is:
Server A leaves from the LB target group
Server A processes new inbound data batch
Server A reregisters with LB
Server B leaves target group
Server B processes new inbound data
Server B reregisters with LB

Total time to process is 12 minutes.

Now one would expect a spike in SELECT query responsiveness while the server is processing data and testing a single node LB bears this out.

But with a pair of servers, and with each removing itself from the load balancer during processing, one would expect zero spikes in SELECT query responsiveness when sending the request through the load balancer.

And yet the spike remains. And I have no idea why.

It sounds like the load balancer is the problem if you're getting results consistent with one not being present.