Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I feel like this might be news to people in Mississippi, but we beyond that states' boundary already know Mississippi is terrible. It should be a reminder to people there why they should leave, because nothing ends well in Mississippi.

Unless you want a life of diabetes and/or gout. But you can get that in Wisconsin, where you don't sweat from every crevice for simply existing in April.

Have you ever been to Mississippi? The coast is super pretty and you can get some great seafood there. I've never been north of those areas, but I liked it well enough. I wish they weren't as saturated with poverty as they are.

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Nov 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
You can get the same atmosphere along coastal Alabama or Louisiana or even florida, there's nothing in coastal Mississippi worth driving there for on purpose.

Have you ever been anywhere else in Mississippi? Because the north end of the state sucks extremely large pig nuts, and not just because of its' proximity to Memphis.

North Mississippi has some out of this world racial tension that ruins any experience the moment you set foot outside the car. Alabama isn't much better, but it's preferable to Mississippi any day of the week.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 30, 2020

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Not recently. I have a couple friends who have set up a commune of sorts on about 150 acres of farm land in central Mississippi. I don't think calling it a trend would be accurate, but I've heard of other people buying up tracts of land to set up similar enterprises. A couple years ago there were flyers in N.O. advertising that a radical black commune was looking for additional members for their farm in Mississippi.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1333212404537290752?s=21

Honestly if Trump tries any poo poo on inauguration day… forget the Secret Service just send in Fetterman.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Porfiriato posted:

Less Poli Sci 101 debates, more assassinations by remote control machine guns

(a thread)
https://twitter.com/BarakRavid/status/1333080696282288128?s=20

TL;DR Mossad Someone parked a pickup on the side of the road with some sort of remotely-operated automatic weapon mounted on it. After the first couple shots Fakrizadeh got out because he thought he'd hit something (lol) at which point the gun finished the job. The truck then blew up, apparently as a self-destruct mechanism. Seems a bit James Bond to be believed but this is a state news agency in Iran reporting it, so :shrug:

truckfucking 2020

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
speaking of 2020 being poo poo

i think 2020 will go down in history as a complete poo poo of a year that will be referenced as a poo poo year for at least the next 40 years

unless of course something worse happens

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

ded posted:

:mad:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

ded posted:

i think 2020 will go down in history as a complete poo poo of a year that will be referenced as a poo poo year for at least the next 40 years

2021 is going to happen

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Milo and POTUS posted:

2021 is going to happen

Booooo.

Boooooooooooooooo.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I was saying boourns

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

CommieGIR posted:

Behind IN SOME THINGS is not behind in everything. And let's be honest: Our investments in Jet Engine tech for fighters wasn't exactly something to be proud of, since we're practically on the same path as the Soviets wasting a large portion of our GDP on military tech we don't need.

It directly contributed to our successes in airliner engines, ship turbines, back up electrical production, and metallurgy in general so yeah it kind of is. Much like a lot of military R&D, it spins directly into literally everything else.

And you're right, it's not the same as "behind in everything." It's not an either/or situation, but we held an edge in a lot.

PookBear posted:

maybe communism failed because your family working for the government suck at their job

You've really been on a tear, Pook.

ded posted:

Godholio fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Nov 30, 2020

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Alright fine. Hannibal convinced me.

But so loving help me if it sucks someone better sneak into the kremlin and initiate the nuclear holocaust. For the good of the planet.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Hail Godholio, lord of the new republic

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

US Berder Patrol posted:

I'm pretty sure crates of citrus fruits are a christmas tradition in the anglo world, too

I think it's just kind of fallen out of fashion, but getting oranges for christmas was a real-rear end thing in the US like 30 or 40 years ago

Huh. The ladies at my favorite yakitori place once gave me a bag of oranges in the winter when I was leaving and I never knew why. Turns out, the answer was Christmas all along.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Thing that used to be a luxury item and is now commonplace : citrus

Thing that used to be cheap prison food but is now a luxury item : lobster

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

ded posted:

Thing that used to be a luxury item and is now commonplace : citrus

Thing that used to be cheap prison food but is now a luxury item : lobster

Yeah the method of cooking and serving it left a little to be desired. Boil and grind up the whole critter and mix it with oatmeal. Mmmm yum.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Eyes Have It posted:

In other news I delighted my wife by having had the foresight to pick up a bottle of bubbly wine before things got crazy, thus saving a household Christmas season tradition of ours.

I had actually bought it for just in case dumbfuck donnie fell to the 'rona :ssh:

I may have looked into obtaining a professional‐grade firework for similar reasons.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Moderna vaccine info:

https://twitter.com/ashishkjha/status/1333384647988965376?s=19

In a sane country, we would've also shoved money into stockpiling antibody treatments, forcing bars/restaurants closed with pay, and keeping as many schools open as possible. But hey, at least vaccines are something!

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

LingcodKilla posted:

Yeah the method of cooking and serving it left a little to be desired. Boil and grind up the whole critter and mix it with oatmeal. Mmmm yum.

Brb telling my wife we're having lobster for dinner, prison style.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

facialimpediment posted:

Moderna vaccine info:

https://twitter.com/ashishkjha/status/1333384647988965376?s=19

In a sane country, we would've also shoved money into stockpiling antibody treatments, forcing bars/restaurants closed with pay, and keeping as many schools open as possible. But hey, at least vaccines are something!

Now good luck getting people to actually take it

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Maybe 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 has conditioned me to think like this, but I can’t help but have the feeling that these vaccines may not be the silver bullet that we’re desperately hoping for. I’m concerned about the likelihood of true lasting immunity, how vaccines will be distributed, and also, whether enough Americans will be willing to get Bill Gates’ autism-causing Antifa mind control chip injected into them by BLM trained “doctors” or whatever bullshit the right wing fever swamp conjures up. Anyone else feeling this way?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Maybe 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 has conditioned me to think like this, but I can’t help but have the feeling that these vaccines may not be the silver bullet that we’re desperately hoping for. I’m concerned about the likelihood of true lasting immunity, how vaccines will be distributed, and also, whether enough Americans will be willing to get Bill Gates’ autism-causing Antifa mind control chip injected into them by BLM trained “doctors” or whatever bullshit the right wing fever swamp conjures up. Anyone else feeling this way?

There will be some issues. The vaccines are going to have side effects, and there will be shitheads that refuse. Even if lasting immunity is a concern, we can get enough people vaccinated to effectively stamp out the worst of the virus. It may take another year, but we will eventually have it under control. The shitheads will also take it because Trump is gonna fade away somewhat. Hopefully more of his crazy rhetoric returns to the fringes of society.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Now good luck getting people to actually take it

Weren't there huge numbers of people volunteering to participate in these trials?

Im certainly excited that, if not the end, then at least a dramatic reshaping of this pandemic is on the horizon. Webex and zoom loving suck, as does working from home.

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Nov 30, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

facialimpediment posted:

It is quite remarkable how the U.S. is threading the needle where a significant fraction of the population will have contracted the disease before the vaccine arrives, but it won’t have gotten everyone, or close enough to it to majorly slow spread dynamics.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Platystemon posted:

It is quite remarkable how the U.S. is threading the needle where a significant fraction of the population will have contracted the disease before the vaccine arrives, but it won’t have gotten everyone, or close enough to it to majorly slow spread dynamics.

That's a pretty big eye of the needle to thread though

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

There are vaccines that provide longer lasting immunity than natural infection. But I could see this being another vaccine that everyone needs a new booster twice a decade, every decade.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

That Works posted:

That's a pretty big eye of the needle to thread though

With exponential growth, it’s kind of not.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I'm sure that, without fail, there will be a subset of suburban Karens who absolutely refuse to get their families the vaccine because they're convinced little Jaden and Zaylie or whatever the fashionable Millennial baby names are these days will get the autism.

Given that we're living in the worst timeline, it will be because piss-baby Trump suddenly goes anti-vax to torpedo the whole thing.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Nov 30, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CBJSprague24 posted:

Given that we're living in the worst timeline, it will be because Trump suddenly goes anti-vax to torpedo the whole thing.

He’ll be reinfected in moments without the SS to nanny him.

He’ll still be entitled to SS protection, but he won’t listen to them and when he’s not a sitting president, they won’t press the matter.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Nov 30, 2020

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Someone ought to point out to the anti-vaxxers that if you put the 5g mind control nanobots in "insert your nearest fast food establishment" ketchup they'd be hosed already.

It's always amazed me it had to be in a vaccine. Why not the water supply? Beer? That loving chicken in a can abomination?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

golden bubble posted:

There are vaccines that provide longer lasting immunity than natural infection. But I could see this being another vaccine that everyone needs a new booster twice a decade, every decade.

And then it will be like the MMR vaccine that people will forget how lovely the disease is, stop vaccinating, and then see cases rise in antivaxer pockets.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grip it and rip it posted:

. Webex and zoom loving suck, as does working from home.

If I never have to go into an office again I will be perfectly happy. I’ve saved so much money on commuting and avoided pointless stress. I get some people like working in an office or with certain teams...but not me.

Also regarding those who don’t want the vaccine...tase and inoculate 24/7.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Nov 30, 2020

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

MazelTovCocktail posted:

If I never have to go into an office again I will be perfectly happy. I’ve saved so much money on commuting and avoided pointless stress. I get some people like working in an office or with certain teams...but not me.

Also regarding those who don’t want the vaccine...tase and inoculate 24/7.

Working from home is pretty sweet, offices suck and so does having to actually put on clothes most of the day.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pine Cone Jones posted:

Working from home is pretty sweet, offices suck and so does having to actually put on clothes most of the day.

This is also very true.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

this is the golden age of WFH. what's coming is a normalization of continuous employer surveillance of your computer, up to and including cameras and microphones.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Lots of companies/industries have been predominantly WFH for ages and don't do that. I have a hard time imagining companies are looking at productivity boosts and their shrinking overhead and thinking they need to do anything about it. You also get into liability concerns a lot of companies aren't about to touch. Surveilling someone at home is a huge can of worms in that regard.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
I've worked from home for most of the last decade, and I'll say that this is the worst it's felt because you don't have the option to leave the house to go interact with people (get food/coffee, walk through a park, etc). If you don't like it now I'd give it another chance when things are back to normal and see if it feels different.

Also no one else has anything better to do than work so you're probably getting requests to work at all hours of the day.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

i am a moron posted:

Lots of companies/industries have been predominantly WFH for ages and don't do that. I have a hard time imagining companies are looking at productivity boosts and their shrinking overhead and thinking they need to do anything about it. You also get into liability concerns a lot of companies aren't about to touch. Surveilling someone at home is a huge can of worms in that regard.

I feel like this might be salary stratified, folks that are higher paid might be exempt from any kind of spyware, though contract or part time folks will probably get hosed in some way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pine Cone Jones posted:

I feel like this might be salary stratified, folks that are higher paid might be exempt from any kind of spyware, though contract or part time folks will probably get hosed in some way.

Hey that reminds me Cyberpunk 2077 is coming out on December 10th! :toot:

But I also don’t think there is going to be too much monitoring except for security related things. In say doc review, that computer will be logging what you do...but just keep your own comp next to you. I don’t expect lots of a/v stuff because...good luck when NY or CA passes a bill to outlaw it.

Dum Cumpster posted:

Also no one else has anything better to do than work so you're probably getting requests to work at all hours of the day.

Honestly I haven’t seen that anymore then the normal...hey your salaried and OT exempt stuff you would always see. But obviously that varies form place to place.