Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Lucy dealt with that too I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Lethal Weapon 2 doesn't have the firmest grip on how diplomatic immunity works.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

regulargonzalez posted:

What.

I mean you're wrong on all counts but even if you were right it's worth seeing for the crazy bridge shot that I still have no idea how it was done. Maybe a very tricky crane move.

It's pretty epic to read that take with the next graf praising spider man as the most epic movie lmao

Smythe fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 30, 2020

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Famethrowa posted:

apparently it's been "catch up on old 80's/90's movies" for me so apologies for the continued liveblogging of filling in my cultural gaps.

saw "Double Jeopardy" last night and it was a pretty fun thriller but I'm genuinely wondering: Has there ever been a movie more fundamentally tied to a massively stupid misunderstanding of the law, in this case, uh "Double Jeopardy"? Because, holy poo poo, the unearned self-confidence with which they claim that she could legally murder her husband a second time cuz she was already convicted of murdering him...hilarious. Especially hearing it from the prior established "Constitutional Law Professor" bail bondsman.

I really wished for a fake-out ending where she gets arrested for the second murder and realizes that none of the "legal experts" who gave her that advice knew what they were talking about

Nine year old me was super confused about the movie's premise and thought that the kaw cannot possibly be this stupid.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

regulargonzalez posted:

What.

I mean you're wrong on all counts but even if you were right it's worth seeing for the crazy bridge shot that I still have no idea how it was done. Maybe a very tricky crane move.
I do distinctly remember that scene catching my attention though I didn't think about why. Now that I think about it again, you pointing out the shot makes sense.

I don't know much about the movie other than the general cultural memes about it so I'm sure there's a lot of importance I'm missing out on. But as a story, it seemed... a bit small?

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Nov 30, 2020

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Chaotic Flame posted:

Lucy dealt with that too I think

Yes to its extreme logical conclusion and by the end Lucy literally becomes God.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Nihonniboku posted:

I suspect what you found appealing was that it starred great actors doing what they do best, great acting.

I watched the finale last night, and good lord what an embarrassment. The avclub did a pretty good job explaining why it was an awful episode. The promised twist never came. The son having possession of the murder weapon was a red herring. So was casting the fantastic Lily Rabe in a completely inconsequential role of the supportive best friend was also a red herring. Hugh Grant did the murder. The court room scenes were absolutely ridiculous, and former attorney David E Kelly should know better.

Cannot express enough what a lovely show this ended up being. Hugh, Nicole, and Donald have all played these exact same roles in much better shows and movies.
Honestly... I ended up appreciating that single aspect. The expected twist being an anti-twist seemed like the whole point of this silliness. Like, our desperation as an audience to have the explanation be something other than the obvious "well duh Hugh Grant did it" helps us to come up with a nicer read of him for a minute before we realize for sure how disgusting he is... it kinda puts us in the position of the Nicole Kidman character. Now obviously this is kind of cheating, because audience members are seeking alternative explanations because they hope they'll be interesting, not because they're afraid to admit an uber-rich white guy in a TV show could be evil, but I liked that it at least had a point.

But yeah, even while I could appreciate the ending there was just endless corny garbage attached to it and I cannot really recommend the show.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

feedmyleg posted:

Not law, but isn't Limitless centered around the "we only use 10% of our brain" misunderstanding?

Which is funny because it only takes 5% of your brain to realize if we were using 100% of our brain every time they did a PET scan or w/e well that would be Extremely Bad.

Using 100% of your brain? Yeah that's a grand mal seizure or something.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Fartington Butts posted:

https://twitter.com/Randydeluxe/status/1333159557300768769

(You know, just in case you don't already own it for some reason)

What could possibly make spider man good

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Did you see the pig

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

It's unironically the best Spider-Man related thing I've ever seen and breathes new life in the series that has been trying to play too conservative to a fault for the past two decades. It also does some very interesting things with 3D animation.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Literally this movie.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

J Jonah Jameson account spotted.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I'm not even a superhero movie guy, haven't seen most of the Marvel output, but a comic book movie that was a comic book visually loving worked.

it didn't try to be deeper or grittier then that. it was pure comic book and I wish all the other superhero movies would learn that lesson.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Always bet on Miller & Lord

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:
So somewhat surprisingly, I found the JCVD show on Prime (Jean-Claude Van Johnson) to be hilarious and wish they made more than 6 episodes. Who knew JCVD would be a decent comedic actor?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Martman posted:

Honestly... I ended up appreciating that single aspect. The expected twist being an anti-twist seemed like the whole point of this silliness. Like, our desperation as an audience to have the explanation be something other than the obvious "well duh Hugh Grant did it" helps us to come up with a nicer read of him for a minute before we realize for sure how disgusting he is... it kinda puts us in the position of the Nicole Kidman character. Now obviously this is kind of cheating, because audience members are seeking alternative explanations because they hope they'll be interesting, not because they're afraid to admit an uber-rich white guy in a TV show could be evil, but I liked that it at least had a point.

But yeah, even while I could appreciate the ending there was just endless corny garbage attached to it and I cannot really recommend the show.

The Undoing spoilers

Yeah, I think because the show was otherwise kind of dull and didn't do anything all that interesting, I was hoping that the final episode would reveal Lily Rabe masterminded the whole thing, or maybe Nicole Kidman killed her in a fugue state or whatever.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ruffian Price posted:

Always bet on Miller & Lord

Lawrence Kasden made dreamcatcher and got those two fired.

Lmao

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Gotta say Miles Teller as a lanky creepy dead-eyed pedophile cop truly is the most terrifying thing on television

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
For those following along, I have zero taste, so of course I already watched Christmas Chronicles 2. It's a pretty fun kids movie just like the first. Worth watching if you just like Kurt Russell. Odd concepts of elf violence.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Marvel movies are trash garbage for idiots but Into The Spiderverse gets the Blade/Punisher Warzone/Raimi Spiderman pass.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

married but discreet posted:

Marvel movies are trash garbage for idiots but Into The Spiderverse gets the Blade/Punisher Warzone/Raimi Spiderman pass.

they manage to do this by not being part of the cultural graveyard that is the 'MCU' proper.

Look what they did to MCU Spider-Man, look how they massacred my boy.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Spider Verse is imo no joke one of the top 3 movies of the 2010s and I'm fairly whatever on Spider Man

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I was watching Robocop on Amazon Prime. (for free)

I tried to rewind it to a part, but because of Amazon's insanely lovely interface, I accidentally backed out of the movie.

It then said movie unavailable. And when I tried to get back into it, it said it cost 99 cents (or 3.99 for HD).

They literally started charging for the movie after I had started watching it. What the gently caress, Bezos

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
So you're saying you wouldn't buy that for a dollar

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Tim Whatley posted:

Spider Verse is imo no joke one of the top 3 movies of the 2010s and I'm fairly whatever on Spider Man

Not to get too nerdy, I don't read a lot of comics and watch way too much MCU but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N21oG99eF3A

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

GD_American posted:

I was watching Robocop on Amazon Prime. (for free)

I tried to rewind it to a part, but because of Amazon's insanely lovely interface, I accidentally backed out of the movie.

It then said movie unavailable. And when I tried to get back into it, it said it cost 99 cents (or 3.99 for HD).

They literally started charging for the movie after I had started watching it. What the gently caress, Bezos

I’m guessing you started the movie on 11/30 and accidentally backed out after the date changed to 12/1? I’ve had that happen before on HBO Max. Started a movie before midnight one day, accidentally backed out after midnight when the movie had technically left the service.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

So you're saying you wouldn't buy that for a dollar
:perfect:

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
December Action Movie Streaming Update
Tubi - Hitman
HBO - The Crow, Demolition Man, Hot Fuzz
Hoopla - Universal Soldier 2/3 TV Movies, Chick Fight, The Invincible Dragon (Anderson Silva)
Netflix - The 2nd, Mosul

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

promising carl posted:

Did you see the pig

The pig is easily the worst part of that movie.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Lol my God they remade Black Beauty and it looks terrrrrrible

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

remigious posted:

I think you meant best

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Simone Magus posted:

Lol my God they remade Black Beauty and it looks terrrrrrible

The 'core Disney' part of Disney+ has been....uninspiring, to say the least.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

remigious posted:

J Jonah Jackal account spotted.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

I like how in limitless, this guy becomes a peerless supergenius and his first instinct is to clean his room and then become a corrupt finance bro and then a slimy politician.

literally limitless mental processing power at your fingertips and all you want to do with that is to get involved in organized crime, condescend to fops at a cocktail party by randomly referencing napolean (?), and then dedicate all your time to enriching yourself? this is the guy we're rooting for?

I mean yeah, sure that's probably what would happen irl. but can I get some escapism in my superbrain movie?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

God Hole posted:

I like how in limitless, this guy becomes a peerless supergenius and his first instinct is to clean his room and then become a corrupt finance bro and then a slimy politician.

literally limitless mental processing power at your fingertips and all you want to do with that is to get involved in organized crime, condescend to fops at a cocktail party by randomly referencing napolean (?), and then dedicate all your time to enriching yourself? this is the guy we're rooting for?

I mean yeah, sure that's probably what would happen irl. but can I get some escapism in my superbrain movie?

I haven't watched the film, but reading the premise it seems like it missed the opportunity to highlight the difference between knowledge and wisdom.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Tim Whatley posted:

pretty tough competition considering Boss Baby takes up the 1 and 2 slots

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Anyone know if the 4k release of LOTR is available for streaming anywhere or if it's physical only?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Anyone know if the 4k release of LOTR is available for streaming anywhere or if it's physical only?

Only on disc for now.

e: For the record, 4K support for HBO Max is starting on Christmas Day, with Wonder Woman 1984 being the first movie to have all that fancy video.

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Dec 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Edward Mass posted:

Only on disc for now.

e: For the record, 4K support for HBO Max is starting on Christmas Day, with Wonder Woman 1984 being the first movie to have all that fancy video.

Looks like it's still 10Mbps bitrate tho lol