Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Kenny Logins posted:

you do not, under any circumstances, “gotta hand it to him”

trump has backed into doing a thing or two that is positive and i am almost sure is entirely by accident

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

well now i gotta

(they're just offroad LEDs, and i never turn them on except if i'm in the woods, and I definitely never play cop)

needs more dents to be a proper colorado-mobile

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

when I was in the church I was taught sex was like fire

it's best when it's with a big group at the beach?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Captain Foo posted:

trump has backed into doing a thing or two that is positive and i am almost sure is entirely by accident

imagine having an idea so bad you couldn't convince one of the dumbest people in the world to do it [ie war with iran, which I'm sure a bunch of "smart" people will start pushing for in january]

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Poopernickel posted:

needs more dents to be a proper colorado-mobile

haha

if you look close there's a ding in the passenger fender, need to pop off the trim and pull that. it was a remarkably clean find for $4k

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Jonny 290 posted:

well now i gotta

(they're just offroad LEDs, and i never turn them on except if i'm in the woods, and I definitely never play cop)

i used to test drive police cars and my shop uniform was dark blue and yeah, it was interesting to see how people acted. sometimes the cops would even leave shotguns in the cars with the keys on the keychain!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The_Franz posted:

"SAFETY PATROL"

We have an actual city-funded safety patrol that does checkins at the homeless camps and responds to public drunkenness and similar calls. They are very specifically not cops and can’t arrest people, and work with a bunch of the social services groups.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
idk in america but here volunteer firefighters make up for the lack of “real” ones but do legit aid on the rural fire putting out scene

never heard them called cosplayers before

then again I suppose “hey i’m walking here” is america’s slogan

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

The_Franz posted:

"SAFETY PATROL"

we have state farm sponsored trucks that sit on the highways during rush hour to clean up rush hour fenderbenders

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

echinopsis posted:

idk in america but here volunteer firefighters make up for the lack of “real” ones but do legit aid on the rural fire putting out scene

never heard them called cosplayers before

then again I suppose “hey i’m walking here” is america’s slogan

yah, the area I grew up had one state trooper covering 200-ish miles of highway and every other emergency service was volunteer

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I'm not making GBS threads on volunteer firefighters across the board, just the ones that install twenty radios and demand first responder discounts at starbucks and don't actually go out to any fires

Reminder that the first organized FD was built to do a capitalism

quote:

The first ever Roman fire brigade was created by Marcus Licinius Crassus. He took advantage of the fact that Rome had no fire department, by creating his own brigade—500 men strong—which rushed to burning buildings at the first cry of alarm. Upon arriving at the scene, however, the firefighters did nothing while Crassus offered to buy the burning building from the distressed property owner, at a miserable price. If the owner agreed to sell the property, his men would put out the fire, if the owner refused, then they would simply let the structure burn to the ground

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
in historical japan, a firefighter's main job was demolition

the strategy was to wreck any building that was close enough that it could also catch fire

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i mean that's basically how they had to fight the chicago and SF fires right? dynamite, not water

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

thats how you fight any fire large enough to be a firestorm

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Jonny 290 posted:

I'm not making GBS threads on volunteer firefighters across the board, just the ones that install twenty radios and demand first responder discounts at starbucks and don't actually go out to any fires

Reminder that the first organized FD was built to do a capitalism

uh, where do i pick up my oakleys and no fear sticker?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

it’s basically how forest fires are fought when there’s no immediate risk to people or property

cut a fire line so it doesn’t spread too far, let the rest burn out

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

President Beep posted:

i used to test drive police cars and my shop uniform was dark blue and yeah, it was interesting to see how people acted. sometimes the cops would even leave shotguns in the cars with the keys on the keychain!
All Beeps Are Bastards

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

All Beeps Are Bastards

such power i felt...... intoxicating.............

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

President Beep posted:

almost all of those older ford crown victoria police cars and taxis used the same fleet key. you can buy one on amazon or ebay and unlock/start a staggering number of vehicles with it

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmin5WkOuPw

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol the methadone crew are always asking me for volunteer pharmacist status when they ask how it is and I say it’s busy

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

PIZZA.BAT posted:

wait trump actually went through with drug reimportation?

drat he actually did something good

he also killed some of the domestic spying parts of the patriot act this year. there’s a couple good things he did out of spite and lol biden might roll them back or get credit

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

trump's non wall policies are completely random so he sometimes did good things by pure chance

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Trump is an empty husk that only cares about personal acclaim, you could get him to support medicare 4 all pretty easily by telling him everyone would love him for it and he'd go down in history

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

yeah there's been a thing or two here and there where i've actually thought it was a good idea, which means he either did it by accident or for the wrong reasons

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

if they were completely random you’d expect more good things. he only has a few good things he’s done so they’ve mostly been out of spite imo. like the patriot act one was because he was angry about carter page being wiretapped, and not doing the iran war was out of cowardice and to spite people like bolton i think. he was talking about executive ordering medicare drug price negotiation stuff on his way out the door too, as revenge for pfizer and moderna not announcing their vaccines until after election day

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

He tried to withdrew troops from Afghanistan and congress wouldn't let him. Granted i'm sure he (or someone else in his admin) thought they could make money by replacing troops with contractors.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Trump is an empty husk that only cares about personal acclaim, you could get him to support medicare 4 all pretty easily by telling him everyone would love him for it and he'd go down in history

jimmy dore went on tucker carlsons show because trump watches it, and he screamed and yelled that the person to finally give this country healthcare, they’ll out that guy on mount rushmore but it didn’t work. probably has to be someone in person without the other republicans in the room to change his mind again

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

yeah there's been a thing or two here and there where i've actually thought it was a good idea, which means he either did it by accident or for the wrong reasons
i remember being impressed for a beat when he said it was immoral for the government to profit off student loan debt

until i realised he meant that private business should be making that profit

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Apr 7, 2003

fart simpson posted:

jimmy dore went on tucker carlsons show because trump watches it, and he screamed and yelled that the person to finally give this country healthcare, they’ll out that guy on mount rushmore but it didn’t work. probably has to be someone in person without the other republicans in the room to change his mind again

The succ resistance libs all immediately shat on Dore and claimed he was a grifter for going on Carlson's show, too.

Apr 7, 2003

jesus WEP posted:

i remember being impressed for a beat when he said it was immoral for the government to profit off student loan debt

until i realised he meant that private business should be making that profit

He's had a few moments like this

His first post-election rally when everyone started chanting "lock her up" and he said "we don't do that anymore"

Saying Planned Parenthood is good because they help with women's health care

Both times he walked that poo poo back post-haste, I'm sure after he got a talking to

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

i think someone posted a while back that he's a "gormless weathervane" and i think that's pretty accurate

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Early into his presidency Trump actually openly suggested universal healthcare in some internal meeting- basically saying something like "why doesn't the government just pay for it?"- then I'm sure every republican in the room turned even more pale and they spent hours carefully explaining why he shouldn't suggest that

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

President Beep posted:

the lovely little town i come from had a largely volunteer fire department that was full of human blobs. it was just a way to get a cool lightbar on your pickup truck.

i'm sure there are a lot like that but tbh i can't judge a volunteer fire service; we had one where i grew up and they may not have been in the same shape as pro firefighters but they did a gently caress ton of good, dangerous work

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Fabricated posted:

Early into his presidency Trump actually openly suggested universal healthcare in some internal meeting- basically saying something like "why doesn't the government just pay for it?"- then I'm sure every republican in the room turned even more pale and they spent hours carefully explaining why he shouldn't suggest that

yeah the thing that trump found out pretty quickly is that being president (and being good at it) is an awful lot of work so he mostly went with whatever the easiest and most self-effacing option was in every moment possible

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Fabricated posted:

i said back when he first got elected that we just needed someone to whisper bernie's policies in his ear and tell him that he'd be the most famous and beloved president in american history for getting them passed.

alas.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
trump was publicly for medicare 4 all decades ago when he was reading the wall street journal and new york times, and not fox news and breitbart and recently even more insane outlets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Lysidas posted:

trump was publicly for medicare 4 all decades ago when he was reading the wall street journal and new york times, and not fox news and breitbart and recently even more insane outlets
trump's brain is basically a sieve; everything goes in, is there for a moment, then goes out