Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Silver2195 posted:

So you're saying he's too complex a character to be an OPverse human? :v:

Failing to drown himself doesn't necessarily mean he can swim; maybe he can breathe underwater (like Jack) or can survive without breathing entirely.

The horns aren't necessarily a dragon thing; there are both giants and humans who naturally have horns in One Piece.
More like he doesn't seem to fit into the position he's in, like he's being forced by either destiny or knowledge to be doing all this. He could be a human but he just seems to fit much more as a descendant or survivor of an ancient clan/race.

Each of those individually, sure maybe, but altogether it paints a pretty strong picture that Kaido aint no fruit muncher.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Nov 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

If the D is Dragon, that would make his dad Monkey Dragon Dragon. XD

The last battle is everyone turning into dragons and taking to the skies. That'd be so dumb, yet Oda could probably pull it off.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Bisse posted:

No other zoan that I am aware of has properties of their zoan fruit transferred to their base form.-

impossible to say for certain what it was like pre zoan but

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

It would suit the celestial dragons and their personality if they took their name from an actual group that they somehow managed to defeat hundreds of years ago, who had among them/were dragons themselves.

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

Tir McDohl posted:

A thought regarding Kaido being a dragon. Big Mom prides herself on having representation from every human race in OP, except for giants. But she doesn't have an oni child or crewmate of any sort that is similar to Yamato or Kaido. Might be more evidence they aren't "human"!

During King's introduction Big Mom specifically stated that he was some kind of exotic race she didn't have yet and wanted iirc

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Strelok604 posted:

During King's introduction Big Mom specifically stated that he was some kind of exotic race she didn't have yet and wanted iirc
I think she said King was one of three races. Giants being another, and I don't think the third was explicitly stated.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
She also explicitly said that there were *three* races that she didn't have in her entourage at that time. We knew one of them were the Giants, and that the second one was King's race. She did not specify what the third one was at the time, but I'm thinking it might be whatever Kaido and Yamato are.

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind
im guessing king is whatever race urouge is, skypeian or whatever

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

euphemism posted:

im guessing king is whatever race urouge is, skypeian or whatever

Specifically Birkan, they're the ones with big, functional wings. Enel and his priests were from Birka, and they blew it up when they left, which is probably why Big Mom has had trouble finding Birkans :v:

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

oddium posted:

impossible to say for certain what it was like pre zoan but

Thats Funkfreeds hybrid form

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Begemot posted:

Specifically Birkan, they're the ones with big, functional wings. Enel and his priests were from Birka, and they blew it up when they left, which is probably why Big Mom has had trouble finding Birkans :v:

She doesnt have shandians or skypeians either though

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

boy, i sure hope someone gets fired for THIS blunder

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

Crosspeice posted:

All the big players get to the roof by chapter 1000, Kaido stares them all down and looks so loving done with this poo poo, none of these fucks are Oden, why are there so many, god my feet hurt. And so begins his flashback.

half the pages are illegible because he is drunk during the events.

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

Birkans are also the ones from the moon originally. I don't remember if normal skypieans were too

Also Shandians were just normal humans who lived on jaya before it got blasted to the sky I thought

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
what ship is that falling in the final pages? sunny?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Meme Emulator posted:

She doesnt have shandians or skypeians either though

How do you know? We haven't seen all of her islands. There might be a cotton candy sky island somewhere in her territory.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Spanish Matlock posted:

How do you know? We haven't seen all of her islands. There might be a cotton candy sky island somewhere in her territory.
It'd also be kind of boring if this mysterious third race turned out to be one we've seen a lot of before and seems to be so closely related to King anyway.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Strelok604 posted:

Birkans are also the ones from the moon originally. I don't remember if normal skypieans were too

Also Shandians were just normal humans who lived on jaya before it got blasted to the sky I thought

They're all from the moon, one of the revelations of the Enel cover story is they're all descendents of the moon people who came to the one piece world. It's why they all have wings.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Strelok604 posted:

Nah, they're all from the moon. Birkans and Skypeians settled on sky islands, Shandians settled on the blue sea.

The Shandians living on an island that later got blasted into the sky and meeting the Skypeians is a complete coincidence.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Nah, they're all from the moon. Birkans and Skypeians settled on sky islands, Shandians settled on the blue sea.

The Shandians living on an island that later got blasted into the sky and meeting the Skypeians is a complete coincidence.

Well assuming Sky Islands don't really move, it might literally just be the Shandians and Skypeians went together whilst the Birkans separated, and then the Skypeians stopped at Skypiea whilst the Shandians went down to the Blue Sea and settled the closest Island.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Meme Emulator posted:

Thats Funkfreeds hybrid form

funkfreed has some weird stuff going on but his hybrid form seems to be like. what if a sword was really long and flexible. and the top of the sword is an elephant head/+sometimes front legs whose trunk is a sword

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
So Zoro said he's there to cut Kaido, the toughest mf to ever walk the earth. I kind of think he'll fight Kaido now and Luffy will take on Big Mom. She also has "impenetrable skin" or whatever they said in Bege's assassination plan so Luffy learning to punch through things with Haki should also work on her.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Luffy/Zoro vs. Big Mom/Kaido tag team match.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
the setup for the fights is kinda inscrutable rn. its funny to read the reddit community comments where every week they have to readjust their expectations based on who matches up against who, but OP really hasn't done a traditional "okay nami fights the girl, luffy fights the big boss, zoro fights the sword user, etc." in many years now so it feels kinda like just guessing

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Man with Hat posted:

So Zoro said he's there to cut Kaido, the toughest mf to ever walk the earth. I kind of think he'll fight Kaido now and Luffy will take on Big Mom.

I've said it before, but it would be a huge misstep for this arc to have a big thing about Zoro losing a sword and specifically being gifted a replacement sword from Oden's daughter, one of the two swords of Oden, the only man who ever successfully harmed Kaido, with those swords, and then have Kaido defeated by Luffy punching him really hard.

Like, I like Luffy punching people as much as anybody, but this is building up to an important Zoro moment and I'm super excited about it.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

tbp posted:

the setup for the fights is kinda inscrutable rn. its funny to read the reddit community comments where every week they have to readjust their expectations based on who matches up against who, but OP really hasn't done a traditional "okay nami fights the girl, luffy fights the big boss, zoro fights the sword user, etc." in many years now so it feels kinda like just guessing

One Piece is very unpredictable, but doesn't feel random or like things happen for no reason. It's a very tricky line to walk, but Oda is really nailing it. There are so many things going on and so many possibilities that I couldn't begin to tell you what's gonna happen next week, much less the end of the arc or the next one.

Like, Zoro could be squaring off with Kaido NEXT WEEK or it could taken two more months, or it could never happen for reasons that are equally satisfying and fit together with what we know now.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

tbp posted:

People who've spent so long watching cringey, predictable anime filled with the same tropes over and over that they forgot that a good story is supposed to be unpredictable.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Bleck posted:

People who've spent so long watching cringey, predictable anime filled with the same tropes over and over that they forgot that a good story is supposed to be unpredictable.

You’re going to have to define unpredictable better considering what you just said about Zoro fighting Kaido.

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind

Electric Phantasm posted:

Luffy/Zoro vs. Big Mom/Kaido tag team match.

i think kidd and law and killer are gonna join in on the fight tbh

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Dr Subterfuge posted:

You’re going to have to define unpredictable better considering what you just said about Zoro fighting Kaido.

The throughline of the story so far is setting up Zoro to fight Kaido, which contrasts with the Shonen Expectation that "the strongest guy in the hero group fights the strongest guy in the villain group".

In fact, as long as we're talking about Power Levels, everything we've seen so far post-timeskip suggests that Zoro is significantly more powerful than Luffy is - he's constantly holding back, hasn't struggled with anything or anybody, probably secretly has Conqueror's Haki, etc, we know all this.

What I like that's unconventional, in a shonen sense, about the story is the idea that the most powerful member of the crew isn't the leader of the crew. If I had to guess at why he's constantly holding back, it's because he respects Luffy's dream so much that he knows he can't overshadow him as the first mate, because it would jeopardize Luffy's reputation.

So, yeah, we can safely predict that Zoro is going to fight - and, presumably, defeat - Kaido. Here's the part that I find unpredictable - if Zoro defeats one of the Yonko, and Luffy maybe doesn't (I don't see Big Mom being taken out of the story before we get to Elbaf), how will that affect Luffy and Zoro? Maybe conflict? We're rapidly approaching the meat and potatoes of the Politics of Piracy in this world, and I feel like our protagonists aren't quite prepared for it, and I'm veRY EXCITED

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Crazy prediction: Zoro is gonna slice Onigashima in half while slicing Kaido.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
Zoro doesn't have Conqueror's. It was a joke about how he made this badass speech that literally shook the ground and then followed up with "uhhh that wasn't me guys" to let you know something was going on with the island.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I imagine Kaido will be a group fight.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Ryaomon posted:

Zoro doesn't have Conqueror's. It was a joke about how he made this badass speech that literally shook the ground and then followed up with "uhhh that wasn't me guys" to let you know something was going on with the island.

rayleigh has it so zoro has to have it too

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

scary ghost dog posted:

rayleigh has it so zoro has to have it too

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind
yeah. zoro's gonna have it in the epilogue at least. maybe sooner.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Zoro uses conqueror's to cut through Shiryu's invisible stairs, finally surpassing and avenging Mihawk.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

zoro could never conquer anything, he'd get lost

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Ryaomon posted:

Yeah, but, see above with what I said about Zoro constantly holding back for what I assume is Luffy's sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
zoro woulda got wheeled out in a body bag against katakuri. Whole cake luffy had some of the best stamina feats in the entire manga

But I’ll admit he woulda probably beat doffy