Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Temperatures are soaring in Australia, just like infection rates in the US and Europe! It wouldn't be the holidays without just a little existential dread.

After a lot of hemming and hawing, I asked my wife for one of those toolbags designed by Adam Savage. It looks like a good laptop bag for when I start commuting again.

Edit:

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Dec 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jesus, it's almost over

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Rhyno posted:

Jesus, it's almost over

Hoping 2021 won't have us looking fondly back at 2020.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Year 2 of Covid is gonna be interesting to say the least.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
At the very least Trump will be out of office. I'll take that as a win regardless of what else happens.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
GFs Sonata just overheated and died.

What's the best like cheap used car to get these days?

There's a Chevy cruise at her local Toyota dealer for like 10k with 36k miles on it.

It has the i4 turbo though don't know if that's reliable.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Bajaha posted:

Hoping 2021 won't have us looking fondly back at 2020.

We'll save that for Covid Year 3 in 2022: Electric Boogaloo

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Leftover from the previous thread:

LloydDobler posted:

Other stupid anti-piracy, anti-consumer friendly poo poo: I subscribe to HBO through my Amazon prime account, which gives me HBO max, but I still have to log in to HBO max on my PC to access all their content, they don't stream all of it through their Amazon channel. And HBO max hasn't licensed an app to be used on LG TVs, so none of that can be streamed in 4k. So once again, the promise of being able to nicely curate your own media catalog and only watch what you want to watch is turned in to a giant clusterfuck by greedy paranoid media executives. Here's a clue: You are the reason people pirate poo poo.

Just echoing this thought. Between all the paranoid gatekeeping, and now splitting up the content over 100 services, it's like the *want* you to pirate.
Which reminds me, I need to go delete a torrent on the machine I use for that. I turned off the VPN momentarily and promptly got an email from AT&T regarding an episode of Archer that I may or may not have been sharing. loving poison/tracker torrent.

STR posted:

Brokeback got broken into. Parked at the far end of the apt complex last night.

Driver's door handle pried out of the door, dash trim wrecked, looks like they were after the stereo (older touchscreen double DIN Pioneer), but didn't get it out (tried like hell to pry it out, the DIN cage is bent to hell, but still seems to work fine) They dug through the car a bit, my insurance card is gone (thankfully had my PO box on it), my 20,000 mAh battery pack is gone, tools are gone. Not sure what else yet.

Goddamn loving meth heads. Cause hundreds in damage for a $100 stereo that they'll get $20 for. Assholes.

STR posted:

Can't even get the 5-0 out here to take a report until tomorrow, and I literally live next door to city hall and police HQ. :argh:

e: I stupidly had one of my prescriptions in the car (schedule IV). It's gone. 5-0 are still not very interested, but I'm going to need a police report to get it replaced. :sigh:

What the gently caress? You think cops are there to protect/serve you? gently caress no, you're not a millionaire donor or government. Pleb.

BraveUlysses posted:

why? the thieves work right there

:drat:

STR posted:

My apt complex backs up to a wooded area with a large homeless camp in it. It's a gated property, except on that side.

What. The. gently caress.
Ah, yes, the very definition of security theater. Block access from all the obvious, easy to access (and watch) locations, but leave the unwatch back of the property unguarded.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Got a large screw through the tread of one of the tyres on my car.

Got the car home as I have a trolley jack and don't trust the jack provided by Ford in the Focus.

I can hear my late dad's voice going "never use the wheel spanner provided with the car, use a socket and breaker bar".

So I do that, not realising the Ford puts these thin cosmetic covers on the wheel nuts which meant the first nut I try to take off removes the cover and jams it in the socket.

I try to see if I can remove the other covers with pliers, but with no luck. So I used the wheel spanner for the rest, they come off cover and nut in one piece.

Sigh, sorry dad, you were wrong in this case. I guess I'll be sticking my head into the wreckers to see if I can grab some replacement wheel nuts.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
PNG in March - someone dismissed when caught in a compromising position in a closet with a live chicken

PNG in December - A Llama they were intending to butcher and feast on got loose causing a branch outage by chewing on a PoE cable to a wireless repeater, eventually offs itself by biting a power line to a machinery shed.

It's hard to top "one of our dudes got killed as a live sacrifice during a witchdoctor ceremony" but they have a drat good go at it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

64bit_Dophins posted:

There's a Chevy cruise at her local Toyota dealer for like 10k with 36k miles on it.

It has the i4 turbo though don't know if that's reliable.

They're prone to the valve cover cracking around the PCV valve... which is built into the valve cover (at least a new valve cover isn't expensive, but it'll cause a big vacuum leak when it happens). Also a lot of fasteners are e-torx, so you need a whole different set of tools for them. They need timing belts every 90-100k. And you need to use dexos oil in them (Mobil 1 is dexos and easily available), but that goes for any GM since about 2010.

I don't know a whole lot else about them, but they're peppy cars for what they are, handle okay, and as long as it's not the LS (the LS wouldn't have the 1.4 turbo, it'd have a 1.8 NA), pretty well equipped.

The valve cover cracked on a friend's when I did the plugs for her.

Darchangel posted:

Goddamn loving meth heads. Cause hundreds in damage for a $100 stereo that they'll get $20 for. Assholes.

What the gently caress? You think cops are there to protect/serve you? gently caress no, you're not a millionaire donor or government. Pleb.
Ah, yes, the very definition of security theater. Block access from all the obvious, easy to access (and watch) locations, but leave the unwatch back of the property unguarded.

Bit more than $100 (Pioneer touchscreen w/DVD player and Appradio), but yeah..

Cops finally came out, actually fingerprinted it (!) too. That's a first for me.

So from what I can tell so far, the door skin is pretty wavy around the door handle, door handle is obviously hosed, all of the dash trim is hosed, ashtray and the little storage pocket under it are hosed, DIN cage is bent up pretty good, shifter trim is hosed, missing my insurance card and registration renewal receipt, missing both portable battery packs I had (not jump packs, just power banks.. a 10,000 and a 20,000), all the tools I had in the car (a decent amount since I just picked them up from roommate's the other day) are gone, Harbor Freight speed jack gone, my emergency stash of my anxiety med is gone (thankfully only a few pills). Car is such a mess from being tossed that I'm not sure what else is missing yet. I've started an insurance claim, but haven't had them come out yet.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

And then there's Disney who buy companies and actively work to not pay those who were being paid by that company despite owning and therefore profiting from the sale of those new IPs.

So what I'm saying is never feel bad about pirating Disney poo poo.

I am somewhat annoyed at the mighty Disney buying up all the things I like.

STR posted:

Bit more than $100 (Pioneer touchscreen w/DVD player and Appradio), but yeah..

They're still going to sell it for :20bux:

quote:

Cops finally came out, actually fingerprinted it (!) too. That's a first for me.

So from what I can tell so far, the door skin is pretty wavy around the door handle, door handle is obviously hosed, all of the dash trim is hosed, ashtray and the little storage pocket under it are hosed, DIN cage is bent up pretty good, shifter trim is hosed, missing my insurance card and registration renewal receipt, missing both portable battery packs I had (not jump packs, just power banks.. a 10,000 and a 20,000), all the tools I had in the car (a decent amount since I just picked them up from roommate's the other day) are gone, Harbor Freight speed jack gone, my emergency stash of my anxiety med is gone (thankfully only a few pills). Car is such a mess from being tossed that I'm not sure what else is missing yet. I've started an insurance claim, but haven't had them come out yet.

Thieving scum. That said, our current attitude (as a country) toward mental health and poverty is at least partially to blame for the problem...

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

PNG in March - someone dismissed when caught in a compromising position in a closet with a live chicken

PNG in December - A Llama they were intending to butcher and feast on got loose causing a branch outage by chewing on a PoE cable to a wireless repeater, eventually offs itself by biting a power line to a machinery shed.

It's hard to top "one of our dudes got killed as a live sacrifice during a witchdoctor ceremony" but they have a drat good go at it.

Sometimes I think I live in a crazy place (the US), then I see your anecdotes and realize... everything's crazy.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

STR posted:

They're prone to the valve cover cracking around the PCV valve... which is built into the valve cover (at least a new valve cover isn't expensive, but it'll cause a big vacuum leak when it happens). Also a lot of fasteners are e-torx, so you need a whole different set of tools for them. They need timing belts every 90-100k. And you need to use dexos oil in them (Mobil 1 is dexos and easily available), but that goes for any GM since about 2010.

I don't know a whole lot else about them, but they're peppy cars for what they are, handle okay, and as long as it's not the LS (the LS wouldn't have the 1.4 turbo, it'd have a 1.8 NA), pretty well equipped.

The valve cover cracked on a friend's when I did the plugs for her.

I told her just to spend a little bit more and get a Toyota Camry tbh but good to know.

I know that most of these post 2010 American cars are actually pretty solid. So it can be a pretty good buy if you're looking for a cheap car to drive around for a few years.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah I'd go for a Camry over a Cruze any day.

Darchangel posted:

They're still going to sell it for :20bux:

They didn't get it. Bent the hell out of the DIN cage trying, but obviously didn't have any tools beyond something to pry poo poo out (guessing a flathead screwdriver by the gouges in the door).

More annoyed that the driver's door is a complete bitch to lock/unlock now - keyless entry, power locks from inside, manually moving the lock lever... all a PITA now (I've never been able to use the key on it, and the keyhole is destroyed anyway). Forcing the door handle back into the door a bit helped considerably.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 1, 2020

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

e: damnit

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

STR posted:

They didn't get it. Bent the hell out of the DIN cage trying, but obviously didn't have any tools beyond something to pry poo poo out (guessing a flathead screwdriver by the gouges in the door).

More annoyed that the driver's door is a complete bitch to lock/unlock now - keyless entry, power locks from inside, manually moving the lock lever... all a PITA now (I've never been able to use the key on it, and the keyhole is destroyed anyway). Forcing the door handle back into the door a bit helped considerably.

Yeah, I know - I just meant that was the goal. Well, that and stealing anything else that wasn't bolted down securely to paewn for another :20bux:.

On the licks, probably got a bent lock rod rubbing against something else. Time to take the inner door panel off!

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

STR posted:

She drove the Toyota and decided to buy it over a Kia Sorento that she was also looking at.

She asked me if it was worth paying an extra 5k for a Toyota with lower mileage and I just said yes and I guess she took my advice haha.

It was 10k vs 15k btw. I personally just think the car wizard is probably right - it's always worth just saving up for the Toyota.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
American cars just don't hold their value as well, unless you're buying a pickup :bahgawd:

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I have an 11k mike Toyota sprinter live on cars&bids im not suggesting anyone buys it but follow along? I think I will lose my shirt on this one but we have a week. My choice for a daily won’t be here until February

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
She bought an 18k Camry smh

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

64bit_Dophins posted:

To be fair, that looks like a current-generation Camry, so it's at least a 2017.

The financial part of it may hurt since she was looking at $10k cars, but the car will run forever.

Darchangel posted:

On the licks, probably got a bent lock rod rubbing against something else. Time to take the inner door panel off!

Licks :laffo:

Yeah, poo poo's bent inside, or at least out of alignment. Shoving the door handle back into the door a bit helped a lot, which makes me think it's just more from the handle sitting outside of the door skin. I'm probably gonna junkyard a new handle and most of the broken trim instead of going through with the insurance claim though; insurance will likely write it off just because of how beat up it is. I don't want another writeoff on my insurance claims history.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Rhyno posted:

At the very least Trump will be out of office. I'll take that as a win regardless of what else happens.

All I want for Christmas is Donnie dragged across the South Lawn in cuffs.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I live on the 11th floor of a highrise and the elevators just broke (again). Can’t really blame 2020, but I want to!

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

RIP Paul Walker posted:

I live on the 11th floor of a highrise and the elevators just broke (again). Can’t really blame 2020, but I want to!

That's one way to encourage quarentine.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Well, it's my birthday... :smith:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Well, it's my birthday... :smith:

Happy birthday! :cb:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

64bit_Dophins posted:

at least its not the TuRD version of it, man that thing is really painful to look at in person

also thanks to the november thread i bought a UDM and its sweet

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

December means it's Sheep Game time again!

Click on the picture and play today!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

at least its not the TuRD version of it, man that thing is really painful to look at in person

Forgive me for being computer illiterate, but what's the point of a UDM? I looked up the one meatpimp was talking about and it's says it's for small businesses, and is clearly for a rack system, why would you need something like that for personal use?

Also the TuRD Camry is the best Camry :colbert:

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

You Am I posted:

Got a large screw through the tread of one of the tyres on my car.

Got the car home as I have a trolley jack and don't trust the jack provided by Ford in the Focus.

I can hear my late dad's voice going "never use the wheel spanner provided with the car, use a socket and breaker bar".

So I do that, not realising the Ford puts these thin cosmetic covers on the wheel nuts which meant the first nut I try to take off removes the cover and jams it in the socket.

I try to see if I can remove the other covers with pliers, but with no luck. So I used the wheel spanner for the rest, they come off cover and nut in one piece.

Sigh, sorry dad, you were wrong in this case. I guess I'll be sticking my head into the wreckers to see if I can grab some replacement wheel nuts.

I just put these on my Focus last week when I switched to my winter tires. I know not everyone wants to spend $60 on lugnuts, but it was worth it to me to know I can beat on them.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Forgive me for being computer illiterate, but what's the point of a UDM? I looked up the one meatpimp was talking about and it's says it's for small businesses, and is clearly for a rack system, why would you need something like that for personal use?

The UDM Pro is rack-mounted for small businesses, the standard UDM is a little cylinder type thing. They share basically the same feature set, as a high-end and highly configurable router, and as a starting point for a centrally-managed Unifi network setup. Think mesh wifi, but better. It ties together all your switches and access points into a centrally-managed system, if that's what you want.

I'm probably getting a UDM just as a standalone device, in order to replace the crappy stock router my ISP supplies.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Darchangel, I’m sorry for bringing this back up but I just read about Jude and your Thanksgiving. For as good as they are, dogs really deserve longer lives. Jude was a good boy. I’m glad you got to be a part of the majority of his life and that his life meant so much to you. Don’t ever be ashamed of your feelings for him, he was surely never ashamed of his affection for you.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

trouser chili posted:

Darchangel, I’m sorry for bringing this back up but I just read about Jude and your Thanksgiving. For as good as they are, dogs really deserve longer lives. Jude was a good boy. I’m glad you got to be a part of the majority of his life and that his life meant so much to you. Don’t ever be ashamed of your feelings for him, he was surely never ashamed of his affection for you.

Couldn’t say it better myself. I had to put down my dog two years ago on New Years Day (he only had a month or so but was bitten by another dog). It still makes me tear up. There hasn’t been any trick to coping, just time and thinking about the good times we all had with him that make it a little easier.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

nitsuga posted:

Couldn’t say it better myself. I had to put down my dog two years ago on New Years Day (he only had a month or so but was bitten by another dog). It still makes me tear up. There hasn’t been any trick to coping, just time and thinking about the good times we all had with him that make it a little easier.

No trick to coping, true. poo poo, I'll still tear up about "my" first dog (non-family dog). Zeke was a fantastic chocolate lab and he went through so loving much with me. All dogs are good.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I haven't had a dog in years. We had two beautiful dumbass german shepards and when they were both gone I was too sad to get another dog. I need to find some pictures of those dummies.

So, dining room furniture update: they have promised to make it right but the combo we originally selected is a special order and 4-8 weeks out. So they told us to go ahead and open the stuff we received and we can use it until the correct items arrive (they even emailed over an exchange agreement). And well, there's a problem. I like this set. We'd ordered the counter-height set but having this in the room makes me think 10 inches higher won't look good.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

STR posted:

To be fair, that looks like a current-generation Camry, so it's at least a 2017.

The financial part of it may hurt since she was looking at $10k cars, but the car will run forever.

It's a 2018 SE. It's actually really nice and has all of the newer features like Apple Car play and stuff.

It has the 2.5L 4cyl which I have to imagine is pretty bulletproof. It also has the 8sp automatic instead of a CVT so she won't have to worry about that blowing out at 100k miles or whatever. That said I heard Toyota makes decent CVTs but I still don't trust them tbh.

She's pretty excited because she's only ever had handmedown cars and $1200 Mechanic Specials up until now. This is like her first 'non poo poo' car.

BraveUlysses posted:

Yeah the TRD version sucks. The suspension is horrible from what I hear and it looks like someone just threw the bad isle of autozone at a regular Camry.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Rhyno posted:

And well, there's a problem. I like this set. We'd ordered the counter-height set but having this in the room makes me think 10 inches higher won't look good.

That was their evil plan all along!

I agree, 10 inches higher wouldn't be as nice. It looks really good as is. As long as the price is the same, I guess you could try to cancel the replacement?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Safety Dance posted:

That was their evil plan all along!

I agree, 10 inches higher wouldn't be as nice. It looks really good as is. As long as the price is the same, I guess you could try to cancel the replacement?

Yeah I think we'll see what they say if my wife agrees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

You got a link to that set? Its really nice. Might need to upgrade my breakfast nook table too...