Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Convex posted:

Sometimes I wonder who would be the more principled and pragmatic leader; keith stammer or a single sheet of A4 paper

I'm not sure a white square with two faces would make a decent LOTO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Niric posted:

:stare:

And the update:

(update) I posted the other day about my husband and his friends peeing in the hot-tub while I was in it with them. TLDR: we are getting a divorce.

loving incredible lmao

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Nov 30, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Total Meatlove posted:

Please get a smart meter.
I will get a smart meter the day they follow through on offering me one and actually fit one and no sooner.

Which looks like about 2025.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I'm not sure a white square with two faces would make a decent LOTO

:v:

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Shouldn't you be shilling Yorkshire Energy?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I got moved on to the People's Energy recently, which sounds like an evil company from an Ayn Rand novel, but I had heard very good things about profit-sharing even though it was slightly more expensive than my previous supplier.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Convex posted:

Sometimes I wonder who would be the more principled and pragmatic leader; keith stammer or a single sheet of A4 paper
An A4 sheet will only fold when pressed

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Total Meatlove posted:

Please get a smart meter. I know that in the initial rollout people got some poo poo ones and that damaged the usefulness of the programme overall but it really will make things better long term and does gently caress all to you in the short term. The new ones are fine.

Smart meters are peak liberalism, working on the assumption that humans are homo economicous and will alter their habits to make marginal electricity bill savings while giving electricity companies excuses to raise energy bills because they "can" be offset by meter use.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/martynziegler/status/1333467194005614593

But what if you're eating a scotch egg?

(For the nerds - it is illegal to drink alcohol in a football stadium within sight of the pitch, as such all of the bars are under the stands, and it's functionally illegal to have seats in those areas because they're part of the escape routes)

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
can someone explain starmers thought process on this for me please

like for the spy cops and war crimes bills: labour members oppose, starmer supports, he thinks voting against will let him be painted as a terrorist, so abstaining is picking a course of action that he thinks will be the path of least resistance

this time: Keith has been generally supportive of lockdown measures, has said he thinks this bill specifically is in the national interest, and labour party members are I presume lockdown leaning, so what the gently caress is his rationale

trying not to alienate laurence fox and the gammons?
trying to "send a message" to the government that they better buck their ideas up?
force of habit?

I just don't understand how he has arrived at this position, after releasing a statement saying the tiers are in the national interest (else how is voting against them "not in the national interest") and insisted that he will always act in the national interest

someone please explain

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Total Meatlove posted:

Please get a smart meter. I know that in the initial rollout people got some poo poo ones and that damaged the usefulness of the programme overall but it really will make things better long term and does gently caress all to you in the short term. The new ones are fine.

Last time I looked into it the smart meter rollout continued to be a massive cluster which has cost about £13 billion so far, or an additional £500 on energy bills for each of the 26 million households in the UK. About 3.6 million of currently installed meters are in 'traditional' i.e. dumb mode and the rest of the SMETS1 ones are probably going to need to be ripped out and replaced at some point anyway as they stop working once you switch supplier. Which of course nobody in the UK ever does.

https://assets.publishing.service.g...eport_FINAL.pdf
https://www.theregister.com/2019/09/17/four_year_delay_for_smart_meter_rollout/

The main benefit to 'consumers' has been a natty little in-house display that tells you information you could have found out anyway. Meanwhile suppliers are getting shot of their meter readers and the government is salivating over the prospect of demand shifting and selectively cutting off electricity as the national grid heads towards rolling blackouts from lack of new generation capacity.

Please feel free to expound on what the actual benefits are, but to my mind it's just another failed national infrastructure project under capitalism.

RockyB fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 30, 2020

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Lungboy posted:

Careful with Avro if you try to leave them. Even though meter readings were submitted to switch away they insisted on using their internally calculated usage and kept taking money off us for months without telling us as they decided we still owed them money when they owed us.

I swopped away from Bulb recently, and they were fine for that. (swopped to Neon Reef, who're cheap, but new enough their webpage is very barebones)

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

RockyB posted:

Please feel free to expound on what the actual benefits are, but to my mind it's just another failed national infrastructure project under capitalism.

In theory my electric car charger can monitor energy prices in like minute by minute real time and ask for electricity when the network is desperate to unload it so will in fact pay me to take it.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

XMNN posted:

can someone explain starmers thought process on this for me please

like for the spy cops and war crimes bills: labour members oppose, starmer supports, he thinks voting against will let him be painted as a terrorist, so abstaining is picking a course of action that he thinks will be the path of least resistance

this time: Keith has been generally supportive of lockdown measures, has said he thinks this bill specifically is in the national interest, and labour party members are I presume lockdown leaning, so what the gently caress is his rationale

trying not to alienate laurence fox and the gammons?
trying to "send a message" to the government that they better buck their ideas up?
force of habit?

I just don't understand how he has arrived at this position, after releasing a statement saying the tiers are in the national interest (else how is voting against them "not in the national interest") and insisted that he will always act in the national interest

someone please explain

It’s just that this is a contentious issue that will pass either way, so the question is what political capital is gained by voting for or against it? It’s a bunch of really poo poo and poorly-thought-out regulations, so they won’t be popular, but if they vote against they can be painted as being akin to anti-mask weirdos. So abstaining is just the best choice by default.

That’s the argument, anyway. I can see the logic, though I think any benefit (or avoided cost) is offset by the fact that if you do this over and over again you’ll end up seeming like an intransigent do-nothing party.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

desperate to unload it so will in fact pay me to take it.

Hot

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

NotJustANumber99 posted:

In theory my electric car charger can monitor energy prices in like minute by minute real time and ask for electricity when the network is desperate to unload it so will in fact pay me to take it.

Yes, that was one of the original promises way back in 2013. Has anyone, anywhere, actually achieved that?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the SMETS2 standard even has the concept of providing minute by minute pricing data to the customer. Let alone any standard API to send that information to things like car chargers.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/381535/SMIP_E2E_SMETS2.pdf

quote:

4.4.2.1 Communications Links with a PPMID via its HAN Interface
GSME shall be capable of establishing and maintaining Communications Links via
its HAN Interface with a minimum of one PPMID.
GSME shall be capable of supporting the following types of Communications Links:
i. receiving the Commands (set-out in section 4.5.3) from a PPMID every 30
minutes
; and
ii. generating and sending the Responses (set-out in section 4.5.3) to a PPMID.

5.5.8.1 Time-of-use Pricing
ESME shall be capable of recording Consumption according to Time-of-use Bands in
one of forty-eight Tariff Registers in the Tariff TOU Register Matrix(5.7.5.34).
ESME shall be capable of switching between different Tariff Registers once every 30
minutes.
The switching between Time-of-use Bands and thus Tariff Registers shall
be based on the switching rules defined in the Tariff Switching Table(5.7.4.48).
5.5.8.2 Time-of-use with Block Pricing
ESME shall be capable of recording Consumption in one of four Block Registers for
each of eight Time-of-use Bands in the Tariff TOU Block Register Matrix(5.7.5.35).
The switching between Time-of-use Bands and sets of Block Registers shall be
based on the switching rules set-out in the Tariff Switching Table(5.7.4.48). ESME shall
be capable of switching between Time-of-use Bands once every 30 minutes.
Switching between the Block Registers within each Time-of-use Band shall be based
on Consumption accumulated in the Tariff Block Counter Matrix(5.7.5.33) and
Consumption thresholds in the Tariff Threshold Matrix(5.7.4.49).
ESME shall also be capable of accumulating Consumption in one of four Block
Counters in the Tariff Block Counter Matrix(5.7.5.33) for each of the eight Time-of-use
Bands. ESME shall be capable of switching between Block Counters according to
the Consumption thresholds in the Tariff Threshold Matrix(5.7.4.49).
ESME shall be capable of resetting the counters in the Tariff Block Counter
Matrix(5.7.5.33) once per Day

E: Whoops, quoted the gas meter reqs.

RockyB fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Nov 30, 2020

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

ThomasPaine posted:

Oh yeah I 100% believe Fox doesn't believe a thing he's saying and he's just angling to become another manufactured controversy generator in the Clarkson/Morgan mould, but I don't get why. He's already a well-off posho living a perfectly comfortable life as a third rate actor, he doesn't need to. And while people like Clarkson have said some pretty godawful bigoted and ignorant things this goes a step beyond, using his platform to spout garbage like this isn't just your standard 'belligerent dude being offensive', it's an active threat to public health, it's going to get people loving killed, and he knows it. I don't understand how that kind of person looks at themselves in the mirror tbh. I think the point I realised quite how bad he is was when even bloody Morgan was calling him out.

No this is what the wealthy already believes and everything else is Glinner double downing. Remember this all started when he was trying to promote a folk music album about how sad he was nobody laughed at his jokes anymore.

He is literally costing himself money doing this. His son probably called him racist and it broke his brain.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

but do you really

edit:

Also in relation to trans issues Joanna Cherry still sucks

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

RockyB posted:

Yes, that was one of the original promises way back in 2013. Has anyone, anywhere, actually achieved that?

No it's still the dream unless you're an industrial consumer of electricity in which case your pricing is based more-or-less on consumption of available capacity, rather than number of kWh.
Distributed energy storage and buy/sell at individual user level could be such a huge win for energy efficiency but we're still a way off it because of the changes needed to move the juice around and manage side effects.
What happens, for example, if every Tesla in the UK starts with the same default setting for when it buys power and they all switch in at once? We've learnt this lesson once already- economy7 caused grid problems because it meant all the really high load appliances switched on at precisely the same time.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

xtothez posted:

[*]The quotes all include additional charges for dental & eyesight cover, in the same way our car insurance companies charge extra for a loving courtesy car. As everyone knows, teeth and eyes are luxury organs you can easily live without.

I mean, those aren't covered on the regular NHS either.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

feedmegin posted:

I mean, those aren't covered on the regular NHS either.

No, but basic treatments are price capped (dentist anyway, I'm not too familiar with opticians - after spending £180 on specs about 6 years ago, I now use those £1.49 a pair reading glasses from Home Bargains which are perfectly adequate for my needs.)

I wish I could find an NHS dentist round here - I've some treatment needs doing that will be capped at I think it's about £243 or £343 on the NHS and will cost over £1000 maybe £2000 private. Put myself on a waiting list in March - ha. Obviously that's all gone for a burton. Aneurin Bevan Health Board claims you don't need to be registered, just make an appointment. First question asked by receptionist is "are you registered".

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Dec 1, 2020

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

WhatEvil posted:

I can only speak for the Ottawa area and the supermarkets I go to but... yes they do. There are a few different kinds of meat pie in the freezers, plus I just bought Pilsbury chilled pie crusts the other day which have a specific set of instructions for savoury pies on the box.

Well known American city Ottawa. Canada and America do have some differences you know...

I lived in Michigan for 10 years and yeah savoury pies not a thing. Though locally they had a mutant version of the pasty. With CARROTS. And GRAVY.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
The new regulations that MPs will be voting on tomorrow have been published, and at the end say:

"No impact assessment has been prepared for these Regulations."

Which seems like a pretty massive admission that they're just making it all up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
New thread is up.