Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Looking forward to watching some B5 soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Hell yeah. I've rewatched the entire series since the last post.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Grand Fromage posted:

Hell yeah. I've rewatched the entire series since the last post.

:stare: don’t

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

To be fair, rewatching means you can do other things while it's on rather than focusing. I wasn't just staring at B5 for 90 hours or whatever it is.

(I was staring at video games)

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Looking forward to reading about watching some B5 soon.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The_Doctor posted:

:vince:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Looking forward to reading about watching some B5 soon.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

:getin: DO!

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

And so it begins. Again.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

S3ep12 - Sic Transit Vir

“When I marry, I want it to be for love.”
“Oh! A radical!”

So now I start the second half of the series! :toot:

Oh yeah, new uniforms! The casual shirt look for everyone else isn’t as good. Sheridan’s dime store psychology is misses out the obvious tell, that Ivanova feels naked without her Earthforce uniform.

Mollari’s hatred of 8-legged things presumably includes the Shadows?

Deleridan continues at a fair clip. A vid system that instantly connects without any acceptance from the recipient seems badly designed, but then I remember FaceTime was doing that briefly, so we’ll call it a BabCom bug that needs patching out. I’m sure that kiss will happen soon.

When Lyndisty is introduced as Vir’s wife to be, my immediate thought was of the earlier scene with him walking into a room of Narns, which was followed by “I think you’re barking up the wrong tree there”. He’s absolutely a Seinfeld character though, all New York neuroses. Lyndisty however is an archetype of ‘nice but suddenly surprisingly a racist monster’, of which I encountered all too often when I lived in Louisiana. Goddamn, white sorority girls are scary. The fact that Vir continues treating her so nicely afterwards, even seeing her off felt a little weird. I’m putting it down to Centauri society demanding the preservation of image, but drat, she faced absolutely no comeuppance or consequence for her actions.

The Narn jihadist (there’s a word they wouldn’t have been too aware of back then) actually going after her rather than Vir felt telegraphed, and I initially believed she had some ulterior motive for being there. She seemed to continually pump Vir for information, coming across as immediately suspect. I was mentally connecting her to the minister who talks to Vir at the beginning, but nope. It all happened as said, and she’s just a regular ol’ racist.

Nice to see that Vir is doing excellent work, being an Oskar Schindler to the Narns by using the authority he’s been given (with a little track covering along the way). Good egg, that Vir.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Vir is such a good character.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

The_Doctor posted:

S3ep12 - Sic Transit Vir

“When I marry, I want it to be for love.”
“Oh! A radical!”

So now I start the second half of the series! :toot:

Oh yeah, new uniforms! The casual shirt look for everyone else isn’t as good. Sheridan’s dime store psychology is misses out the obvious tell, that Ivanova feels naked without her Earthforce uniform.

Mollari’s hatred of 8-legged things presumably includes the Shadows?

Deleridan continues at a fair clip. A vid system that instantly connects without any acceptance from the recipient seems badly designed, but then I remember FaceTime was doing that briefly, so we’ll call it a BabCom bug that needs patching out. I’m sure that kiss will happen soon.

When Lyndisty is introduced as Vir’s wife to be, my immediate thought was of the earlier scene with him walking into a room of Narns, which was followed by “I think you’re barking up the wrong tree there”. He’s absolutely a Seinfeld character though, all New York neuroses. Lyndisty however is an archetype of ‘nice but suddenly surprisingly a racist monster’, of which I encountered all too often when I lived in Louisiana. Goddamn, white sorority girls are scary. The fact that Vir continues treating her so nicely afterwards, even seeing her off felt a little weird. I’m putting it down to Centauri society demanding the preservation of image, but drat, she faced absolutely no comeuppance or consequence for her actions.

The Narn jihadist (there’s a word they wouldn’t have been too aware of back then) actually going after her rather than Vir felt telegraphed, and I initially believed she had some ulterior motive for being there. She seemed to continually pump Vir for information, coming across as immediately suspect. I was mentally connecting her to the minister who talks to Vir at the beginning, but nope. It all happened as said, and she’s just a regular ol’ racist.

Nice to see that Vir is doing excellent work, being an Oskar Schindler to the Narns by using the authority he’s been given (with a little track covering along the way). Good egg, that Vir.

This is possibly my most hated episode of B5. Between Vir being so horny he is willing to overlook that this woman literally sees Narns as subsentient animals and is continuing her Literally Mengele Father's work of trying to eugenics them into 'domestication,' and the undeniable full-blown character assassination Londo suffers when he refers to her and her father's work as "a start," and them being "true Centauri," I can barely even stand to watch it. They're so far gone from what they usually are I don't even like to think of the episode as canon

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Centauri are complete assholes, I think it's p much in line with that. Vir is very much the exception.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

sebmojo posted:

Centauri are complete assholes, I think it's p much in line with that. Vir is very much the exception.

(up to s3e12) Londo is perfectly content to spread all kinds of misery and death on the Narns if it's happening out of sight. He was happy enough to use the Shadows to wipe out whole colonies, worse than the effects of the mass drivers he was so horrified about

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Sanguinia posted:

This is possibly my most hated episode of B5. Between Vir being so horny he is willing to overlook that this woman literally sees Narns as subsentient animals and is continuing her Literally Mengele Father's work of trying to eugenics them into 'domestication,' and the undeniable full-blown character assassination Londo suffers when he refers to her and her father's work as "a start," and them being "true Centauri," I can barely even stand to watch it. They're so far gone from what they usually are I don't even like to think of the episode as canon

Yeah, there’s a lot of weird characterisation in this episode. Londo especially felt like he slid back to somewhere early last season, completely undoing the work that had been put into him since then. Vir falling (and forgiving) a pretty face for loving genocide feels like a very odd beat too. The more it sits in my brain, the more I just keep going ‘what the gently caress?’

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
b5 sometimes doesn't really handle scale of bad things happening well. it's like how sheridan confronts kosh with 'whole WORLDS are being destroyed out there' etc. etc.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Nov 10, 2020

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Horizon Burning posted:

b5 sometimes doesn't really handle scale of bad things happening well

Blind watch thread, dingus

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Blind watch thread, dingus

added some spoilers.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
Removed offending material.

Sad King Billy fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 11, 2020

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

BLIND. WATCH. THREAD. MOTHAFUCKAS!

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

Doctor Zero posted:

BLIND. WATCH. THREAD. MOTHAFUCKAS!

I'm talking about an episode you've seen, season 2.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Sad King Billy posted:

I'm talking about an episode you've seen, season 2.

I've seen them all several times, and I didn't point that at you only. Just reminding. Still, there could be people still on S1, which is why the episode thoughts are spoilered as well.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Also other folks might come along and join.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Ah, a misunderstanding on my part. Not sure if what I put constitutes a spoiler but it's gone just to be on the safe side.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Sad King Billy posted:

Ah, a misunderstanding on my part. Not sure if what I put constitutes a spoiler but it's gone just to be on the safe side.

I sense the rule has been that you should spoiler tag it with episode number if it's about an already watched episode, not even spoiler tags are good enough for unwatched content. and don't overfocus on already discussed things that might hint at relevance.

And since I just caught up with the thread

S3e10

When I was a kid I thought delenn's "he is behind me, you are in front of me, if you value your lives be somewhere else" was one of the most badass moments I'd ever seen, and I was disappointed that the_doctor didn't pick it for his quote

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

ikanreed posted:

S3e10

When I was a kid I thought delenn's "he is behind me, you are in front of me, if you value your lives be somewhere else" was one of the most badass moments I'd ever seen, and I was disappointed that the_doctor didn't pick it for his quote

"Do not force us to fire on your ships!"
"Why not?"

:swoon:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

ikanreed posted:

I sense the rule has been that you should spoiler tag it with episode number if it's about an already watched episode, not even spoiler tags are good enough for unwatched content. and don't overfocus on already discussed things that might hint at relevance.

And since I just caught up with the thread

S3e10

Made all the better by Mira Furlan's delivery where you can hear the barely controlled fury. When strong words like that come out of the quiet and calm characters, it's always badass.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I started watching A Late Delivery from Avalon, but my attention kept wandering so I'm going to try again tomorrow.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

The_Doctor posted:

I started watching A Late Delivery from Avalon, but my attention kept wandering so I'm going to try again tomorrow.

Aww, I love that episode. I hope your mind wasn't wandering because you were turned off by it :(

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

Doctor Zero posted:

Made all the better by Mira Furlan's delivery where you can hear the barely controlled fury. When strong words like that come out of the quiet and calm characters, it's always badass.

Whenever people write poo poo like this, I think about the 33 pencils guy from TVTropes.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

I'm currently rewatching and convinced a Trekkie friend to go through the series for the first time. This thread has been great to read so far, I hope you guys keep going through the series.

Regarding the guy on the last page randomly making GBS threads on the series, I personally think B5 has aged very well as long as you have a stomach for mildly campy 90s scifi in the first place. Certainly I find it more watchable in 2020 than, say, TNG.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

B5 doesn't have episodes about annoying kids, or episodes where everyone minces around in the holodeck because the actors got bored of being in a sci-fi show. So B5 is automatically better than all Star Trek.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Sweevo posted:

B5 doesn't have episodes about annoying kids, or episodes where everyone minces around in the holodeck because the actors got bored of being in a sci-fi show. So B5 is automatically better than all Star Trek.

I seem to recall there's one episode in season 1 (un spoilered because I think all the newbies are WELL past that point) with a cute kid, and he gets murdered off-screen.

I think that episode was basically a "FU" from JMS to the "Star Trek"-esque "Everything works out ok in the end" style of television. Like...I could see a TNG episode with almost the exact same plot points, but at the end either the parents realize their son is still "their son" and his soul hasn't left his body, or the son has a realization he doesn't want to live in their culture after they reject him and goes to live with some human family, or something.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Believers was written by David Gerrold, who among other things wrote The Trouble with Tribbles

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

DrBouvenstein posted:

I seem to recall there's one episode in season 1 (un spoilered because I think all the newbies are WELL past that point) with a cute kid, and he gets murdered off-screen.

I think that episode was basically a "FU" from JMS to the "Star Trek"-esque "Everything works out ok in the end" style of television. Like...I could see a TNG episode with almost the exact same plot points, but at the end either the parents realize their son is still "their son" and his soul hasn't left his body, or the son has a realization he doesn't want to live in their culture after they reject him and goes to live with some human family, or something.

The episode in question was written by David Gerrold, who was on the TNG development team and wrote The Trouble With Tribbles for the original series. JMS wasn't so much saying "gently caress you" to Trek as making sure that everyone knew B5 wasn't Trek, and was willing to boldly go where Trek would not.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Well, drat. :smith:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Very sad news, how can they all die so young (or relatively young, 65 isn't that old!)?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Torrannor posted:

Very sad news, how can they all die so young (or relatively young, 65 isn't that old!)?

At least 2 of them were at high risk for other health complications, but yeah they're dying in their ~60s or earlier while most of the OG Star Trek cast is still alive.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Did I miss the post actually saying that it's Mira Furlan who died?

65 is no age :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Tsaedje posted:

Did I miss the post actually saying that it's Mira Furlan who died?

65 is no age :smith:

The chat about it is in the regular thread