Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Spoggerific posted:

Does anyone have experience with reporting bugs in Cataclysm? What happened to me above seems to be at least partially reproducible, and I have a save where it happens. Should I go to their dev discord, open an issue on github, or is it maybe too much of a pain to bother?

https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/issues/new?template=bug_report.md

That's the standard way to issue bug reports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Thanks for the link to the bug report form.

I just cleared out the garbage dump that the bandits had taken for a base - they had an entire armory's worth of guns and decided to come at me with sharpened rebar and wooden spears. :psyduck:

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Speaking of NPCs, I don't understand how damage is supposed to work with them. I shot one about 10 times with an M4, doing roughly 40 damage each time, and yet when I checked his health, only one of the bars had diminished slightly. When I shot him a couple more times, though, he keeled over. Is this a bug or a feature where you're not supposed to have an accurate gauge of how badly wounded a human enemy is? Also, it does seem like they take a ridiculous amount of punishment to bring down. The guy in question wasn't even kitted out with good body armour, and I didn't get any messages about shots 'reflecting' or anything like that.

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

Drunk in Space posted:

Speaking of NPCs, I don't understand how damage is supposed to work with them. I shot one about 10 times with an M4, doing roughly 40 damage each time, and yet when I checked his health, only one of the bars had diminished slightly. When I shot him a couple more times, though, he keeled over. Is this a bug or a feature where you're not supposed to have an accurate gauge of how badly wounded a human enemy is? Also, it does seem like they take a ridiculous amount of punishment to bring down. The guy in question wasn't even kitted out with good body armour, and I didn't get any messages about shots 'reflecting' or anything like that.

I believe NPCs have locational damage like the player does, you probably blew his head up. Actually, NPCs afaik are just robot-controlled PCs in how their stats work, so they can be extremely beefy. I don’t recall if there’s a way to get more detailed damage info on an NPC so you can see where the damage is going.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
I believe that NPCs have separate limb damage, just like the player, and they only die when their torso or head is completely destroyed, or they bleed out. I'm not sure if there's any way to actually check the HP of their individual limbs, though.

If you get some bad luck and keep shooting their arms, they can take a ridiculous amount of punishment, or you can get lucky with a headshot. They can also wear armor; one of the bandits in the encampment I took out had an ESAPI vest and an army helmet and he took nearly two magazines to take down.

E: f;b

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Apparently you can climb back up Z levels if you have five walls/objects around you! So I escaped the lab much the same way I came in.

Except for the beak, leaves and hooves.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Real Cool Catfish posted:

So I escaped the lab much the same way I came in.

Except for the beak, leaves and hooves.

This is a complete publishable short-story.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
I've cleared out all of the places within reasonable walking distance of my base, and now I'm starting to have to drive long distances. This isn't much of a problem in itself, since driving in this game is actually kind of fun, but driving is technically training my vehicles skill, which drains my focus all the way down to the 10s-20s range. This results in me getting absolute poo poo EXP for combat when I finally start fighting things.

Anyone have some solutions to this? Right now I'm pretty much parking my car outside of reality bubble distance, then spending an hour reading morale boosting books while listening to music before heading on in to town. It kind of works, but it wastes time, and it's tedious.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
You should be able to disable the skill in the player menu, which will keep it from being trained.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Wow, I had no idea you could disable skill gain in the @ menu. That's... really useful, at least for vehicles. I'm not sure where else you'd want to use it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Dunno, dodge training maybe? Turn off your melee skill for the duration or something like that, or the other way around as the situation may be.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
First i got a shot in the leg when trying to deactivate a talon drone (they have m16ish guns). after ive hauled it back to the quest giver my right leg is already back to yellow hp!!

so i go hiking looking for something else when i see a friendly looking npc inside a farm field. when i walk past the back of a barn i dont realise that he has a glock 19 pointed at me and he shoots me in the chest where i have very little armor. i run towards a little shed where the door happens to be unlocked and i close the door and put hemostatic powder on the massive hole in my chest. i hide for almost 5 minutes waiting for the heavy duty painkillers to kick in.

then i open the door wielding my walther ccp and i get shot again, im really lucky and my hiking backpack takes some of the impact leaving me with the tiniest sliver of torso hp, so i close the door again and go to town with hemo and bandages barely keeping me alive. how do i get out of this pickle? i find a scythe inside the shed and bash down the wooden wall so i can escape and take him out with a single shot from my sniper rifle!

the npc also had 60+ pipebombs and molotov coctails so i guess i got pretty lucky

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

FYI, take the .50 cal off an APC and you can fire it from a bicycle by letting go of the controls. I guess you just rest it on the handle bars :v:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You can also install it on the bike, or on a shopping cart.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Marcus Garvey posted:

It really needs a real end game imo

This is ancient but the one good thing i'll say about the vanilla DDA branch is that they seem committed to having a massively replayable end game in the form of NPC's and nation building.

Like, some of the old plans for how NPC's work were absolutely huge. Bandits would set up camps over time and raid settlements, settlers would resettle (Or just set up outposts around the refugee centers filled with NPC's.) and try to build little post apocalyptic communities, etc, etc.

Progress seems incredibly slow, unfortunately. Though, that does remind me. Does Bright Nights have NPC's up to par with the vanilla fork?

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
I made some haggis.

I ate a single serving and immediately became overweight.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Spoggerific posted:

I made some haggis.

I ate a single serving and immediately became overweight.

Welcome to Scotland :scotland:

But seriously haggis is great meal to make in CDDA until the realism obsessed devs implement heart disease as a mechanic.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
so thats how you avoid the "you need to eat more calorie dense foods" message when cracklins dont cut it anymore?

whats your highest amount of calories eaten in a day? mine is slightly below 4 haggis

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

There was some recipe a few months back that was negative 2^32 calories. Naturally I saved and tried one. Character died of starvation in a few hours.

E: Whoops I meant negative 2^31.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
I have magiclysm on, and finally found my first artifact, halfway through summer. It was inside a tear in reality that was covered by a giant pile of breathers. I cleared the breathers out, picked up the artifact, and tried activating it.

All it did was emit a giant cloud of radioactive gas and give me some lovely mutations. :smith:

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
Artifacts are base game and yeah they pretty much all have horrible side-effects that completely overshadow any benefit they might give.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
There used to be interesting artifacts. Like everything fun and wacky they were deemed too unrealistic.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Last I played, you could still spawn in a debug artifact that gives you fully wall-penetrating x-ray vision. It's as useful as it sounds and actually used to be a possible result of in-game artifact rolls as well... but for once, I can agree that it was simply a bit too powerful for the kind of game Cataclysm is. It basically made all other possible artifacts look useless by comparison. There should still be a lesser version that only shows you room layouts, though.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
I got a helm that turned me invisible and I think just made random noise every so often.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
My current game was a crashed helicopter start, which meant I didn't start with an NPC (unless I missed him). I've been playing for a while now, and I'm at mid-summer at this point. I've finally run into my first non-hostile NPC, completed a quest for him, and convinced him to join forces with me.

The last time I played Cataclysm was years ago, and NPCs were disabled by default and would just crash your game if you enabled them. God drat, they sure have fleshed out NPCs now. :stare: The developers deserve all the poo poo they get for being obsessed with realism and removing all of the fun stuff from the game, but I'm impressed with how far NPCs have come.

Does anyone have some tips or information for what to do with my new follower? It looks like there's so much stuff you can do with them, and I'm not sure where to start.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I wish more survival games had proper endings, specifically talking about stuff like CDDA, Project Zomboid, The Longest Dark, Space Engineers but I'm sure I'm forgetting many more. Last December I got into CDDA massively and played it for like 50 hours and it was one of the best experiences I've had but then it just kinda stopped because there was no more to do. What is it that makes developers hate their game having end so much?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

What does an ending to Cataclysm look like in your mind?

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.

Mr. Lobe posted:

I mean, I guess there's always the obvious "invent a cure" method.

Maybe you could somehow escape the zombie infected area you're in to a place that's zombie free by building a plane or something?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Mr. Lobe posted:

I find a half constructed gate down in a lab somewhere which the experimental activation thereof accidentally caused the cataclysm to begin with. Using my wits and my gumption I gather a laundry list of obscure scientific doodads and some military grade this and that and even throw in some hand crafted whatevers from the DIY compendium and I complete the gate and unlike the scientist's gate, mine works because I'm high as gently caress on a mix of street cocaine and adderall and stabilized mutagen and more importantly I gathered like three partial scientific journals on the topic from my gamut of laboratory runs and put the pieces together like in any proper videogame.

Then I turn on the gate and drive my mobile mother-loving death base powered by atomic bombs and diesal and I drive right into the unknown. I find myself on the other side which surprisingly enough is exactly like the new hampshire I just left except everything is made out of meat and crystals and stuff but otherwise is a complete pallet swap of a ruined suburbia surrounded by the interdimensional equivalent of rustic farms and woods. I travel throughout this land finding strange new books in a strange new language and eventually I reverse engineer the technology and language and discover the source of all the badness has been some kind of hosed up emitter that is located far far away in the foreign dimension and I have to fight my way past increasingly hosed up and unfair enemies as the land grows darker and colder. Eventually as I close in on the emitter the sun ceases to shine and it's snowing at all seasons. The giant creatures are even more giant the dead are even more prone to rising blah blah it's everything we already got but on a poo poo ton of steroids and now stuff you used to just plow through in your house sized supertank is specially designed to gently caress up even mobile fortresses. You make your way past all the intentionally annoying poo poo and super-chicken walkers and finally you reach the foundation of the emitter. The rear end in a top hat lead scientist of dimension two has hooked his brain up to it and you have to fight him on foot because he ingeniously designed his dimensional array to have a tiny metal pole in front of the driveway that will absolutely wreck your car if you try to drive through it just like a real life mini mall. You do the whole rambo thing and fight a giant cyber scientist hooked into the computer complex and then in the final seconds you see a final portal open up which you either have the brains to jump through or you don't. Jump through it and you're back home except all the damage is fixed and the world is populated by police robots and friendly NPC's going about their day in a perfectly functional town. You can either stop playing, die when you inevitably go nuts and start breaking into places to disassemble their televisions for circuits, or eventually the unreasonably strict nutrition system means you get bored and start over. The only way to end the game catacylsm is if the cataclysm is canceled.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

The Bold Kobold posted:

I mean, I guess there's always the obvious "invent a cure" method.

Maybe you could somehow escape the zombie infected area you're in to a place that's zombie free by building a plane or something?

I guess to me, part of the appeal of the game is that it is truly a hopeless and intractable situation. The blob is here, it's a cosmic entity and you're just a puny human, you don't get to be the big powerful hero. You just have to decide what you're going to do in the twilight of your universe's instantiation of earth.

Plenty of other games give you the opportunity to play out the role of cosmic hero or ultimate superbeing cutting down wicked gods. I just want to plant pumpkins as a cybernetic monstrosity as the world goes to poo poo.

That said, if you like Cataclysm's mechanics but want to have a happy and satisfying resolution of the game given in explicit textual terms, I think that's what Bright Nights Ahead is working to be. A "win" condition is in the works.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Back in the day it seemed like the thought was that you'd go to all these different dimensions and gently caress them up at the source as a sort of karmic payback for ruining yours.

The idea of transitioning from rural New England to multi-dimensional traveler sounds badass. Though extreme in the amount of content it requires it'd also potentially allow for an infinite amount of modding new worlds.

Imagine traveling to a black ooze sea (Or just an alternate version of Earth that's partially submerged in it) and having to figure out how to boat across this thing while not getting consumed by the fluid. Or transitioning to another human-esque sci-fi world that's been completely overrun by the Mycus, offering extreme rewards at equally extreme risk.

The latter of which would pretty much guarantee that you'd have to have a mobile base going at all times since staying still in zones filled with Mycus is a death sentence if you don't have lots of auto turrets or incendiaries. Hell, suiting up to go outside would be fun from a creativity point and not from a tedious realistic point. I could see myself building an airlock with incinerator inside to ensure no spores reach my precious doom tank's interior just before showing up to the place.

Or imagine going to that infinite cosmic horror plane that's straight out of Junji Ito's works. The possibilities are endless. You could even do fairly nice places that haven't fallen yet if you wanted to make off world bases a real thing.

Or heck, given that they seem to want to expand NPC's to basically be independent entities in the world that scavenge and play the game as you do, imagine dropping in on an ongoing apocalypse before the governments fell. Maybe it's the traditional one. Maybe it's a mycus infestation similar to that overrun world. Only this time you get to see what a world in the middle of the apocalypse looks like before it got overrun. Maybe you could even pitch in and actually stop it in one small corner of the game world.

You could add all sorts of worlds that enable exploration potential not just in terms of the game world but also in making new interactions between items and encouraging new strategies. Walking through an interdimensional portal and finding yourself between a street battle battle between Mycus zombies, a fireteam of soldiers, and an atomic tank (Or a full fledged operational lab under siege. Meaning it'd be a heck of a lot more dangerous if you didn't have an ID card worn to signify you should actually be there.) would be a hell of a shift in gameplay tactics. Just like the rest would be.

It feels to me like the shift to absurd realism has come about because the current devs don't really get that there should be an end game. Or even how to go about pursuing an end game, for that matter. So they just complicate and complicate with mile wide inch shallow mechanics that make the game tedious instead of a vast setting that would allow for real depth through interaction, expansion, and exploration of the mechanics that are core to the appeal the game has for players.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Dec 1, 2020

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Mr. Lobe posted:

I don't fancy myself a game designer so I didn't want to suggest anything but I think there's plenty that you can without overriding the current sandbox and still have something to finish the current playthrough. Personally I would like anything that strengthens what's already in the game, not something completely new like adding a new dimension or something like that.

Mr. Lobe posted:

I guess to me, part of the appeal of the game is that it is truly a hopeless and intractable situation. The blob is here, it's a cosmic entity and you're just a puny human, you don't get to be the big powerful hero. You just have to decide what you're going to do in the twilight of your universe's instantiation of earth.

Plenty of other games give you the opportunity to play out the role of cosmic hero or ultimate superbeing cutting down wicked gods. I just want to plant pumpkins as a cybernetic monstrosity as the world goes to poo poo.

That said, if you like Cataclysm's mechanics but want to have a happy and satisfying resolution of the game given in explicit textual terms, I think that's what Bright Nights Ahead is working to be. A "win" condition is in the works.

I said an ending, not a happy ending. I don't really care for saving the world or inventing a cure so it could be randomly generated personal goal or whatever. Having an ending doesn't mean you have to care about it. Example: in Rimworld you can leave the planet by constructing or finding a spaceship and defending it. Or you can just keep playing the game forever and ignore it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Spoggerific posted:

Does anyone have some tips or information for what to do with my new follower? It looks like there's so much stuff you can do with them, and I'm not sure where to start.

You can use the zones system to set up zones that are unsorted and throw stuff in it or set up your vehicle's storage as unsorted, then place zones for ammo, clothes, etc. and tell your followers to sort and they'll do all the moving for you. You can also set up vehicle repair or dismantle zones, put a toolbox and parts nearby and have them do repairs or take apart vehicles for you. You can set up construction zones and have them do the construction instead.

Oh and don't toss your skill books when you finish with them, your followers can also read them to gain skills.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Vehicle chop shops and construction is probably the best use of them as a time saver. Just tow a tank out to them, make sure they have a solar powered welding rig and let them go to town while you do stuff nearby.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm not really bothered by having a win condition too much, I usually play with win conditions turned off in sandbox games anyway as I just like chilling and enjoying the game experience without a definitive goal, but I think I'd like more possible goals and ways to test the player that don't amount to annoying busywork. The ability to travel through a portal and face outrageous monstrosities to "cleanse" an area and make it easier to loot, NPC bandits that spread or spawn raids and the like.

Basically stuff that lets the player continue to test themselves against increasingly overwhelming threats or just do fun, role playing poo poo.

Unfortunately, nerfed as they often are, the sort of stuff you can end up walking away with from labs or military bases usually make you a God and it's hard to keep putting in place more and more threats without either condemning the player to never being able to beat it or having to constantly up the player power, Dragonball Z style until you're Goku or Fist of the North Star.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
They could add a "retire" option when you fully finish up a camp. Maybe give one last big raid by zeds/bandits and you get a congraturations, you are win, area now safe, screen.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Given how absolutely easy it is to whip up death lasers or mow everything down with .50. I like to imagine Cataclysm takes place right before the military rolls in and cleans up everything.

Only after you die horribly of course.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Telsa Cola posted:

Given how absolutely easy it is to whip up death lasers or mow everything down with .50. I like to imagine Cataclysm takes place right before the military rolls in and cleans up everything.

Only after you die horribly of course.

New feature: after the "Do you want watch your death?", it spawns like a platoon of armed to the teeth Marines who easily slaughter whatever it was you were killed by. Then the post-death message is, instead of "you were among the lost billions" is instead "You were literally the very last person to die before the military swept in and restored order. Lol."

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

PiCroft posted:

New feature: after the "Do you want watch your death?", it spawns like a platoon of armed to the teeth Marines who easily slaughter whatever it was you were killed by. Then the post-death message is, instead of "you were among the lost billions" is instead "You were literally the very last person to die before the military swept in and restored order. Lol."

Basically, and this would still keep the hoplessness of it all imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Leal posted:

They could add a "retire" option when you fully finish up a camp. Maybe give one last big raid by zeds/bandits and you get a congraturations, you are win, area now safe, screen.

this is the primary way to add an open-ended victory condition. it's functionally the way Sid Meier's Pirates did it. allow an option to retire, and take stock of the state when you decide to quit.

it would be slightly more complicated with this game to take an idea of what the state of the game is but after cracking that problem you should ostensibly have a way to account for (and write for) everything from food and water prep to friendly recruited NPCs.