Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It sounds like the Cape Cod League. I don't think they could even pay players because at the point they would be in the league, they would still be 'amateurs'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Joey Freshwater posted:

How does that work? Do they just move the previous Rochester players to St. Paul? What happens with the St. Paul players?

Yeah the AAA players/staff/management employed by the Twins will move with the team. I'm not 100% sure how that works for the Saints organization that's part of the American Association but I read something that said basically everyone except the owners will stay together and look for a new location. Somewhere in western Wisconsin was mentioned as a possibility.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

It sounds like the Cape Cod League. I don't think they could even pay players because at the point they would be in the league, they would still be 'amateurs'.

Ya this definitely seems better than throwing 145 pitches a game for some rear end in a top hat manager at Rice or wherever.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I don't believe that indy ball players have contracts that last beyond a season. At least not in my experience.

These indy ball teams that are going to end up becoming MLB affiliates have to pay a fee to get in, according to MLB rules.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

FlamingLiberal posted:

These indy ball teams that are going to end up becoming MLB affiliates have to pay a fee to get in, according to MLB rules.

The article I read seemed to think that the Twins likely footed most of the bill for that, because the Saints don't really need them. They already either sell out or mostly sell out all their games already. But, because their Taxi squad was at the Saints' home field this yeah, the Twins realized how convenient it is to have MLB ready players so close to their home park in case of needing a player ASAP when they're playing at home.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

The article I read seemed to think that the Twins likely footed most of the bill for that, because the Saints don't really need them. They already either sell out or mostly sell out all their games already. But, because their Taxi squad was at the Saints' home field this yeah, the Twins realized how convenient it is to have MLB ready players so close to their home park in case of needing a player ASAP when they're playing at home.
Yes the reports I have read indicate that for most of these indy ball teams, the MLB club may pay that bill. The Yankees also moved an indy ball team to replace AA Trenton.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

But, because their Taxi squad was at the Saints' home field this yeah, the Twins realized how convenient it is to have MLB ready players so close to their home park in case of needing a player ASAP when they're playing at home.
Don't understand how any MLB club doesn't do this, it's so easy to ship guys between Atlanta and Gwinnett, etc.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Don't understand how any MLB club doesn't do this, it's so easy to ship guys between Atlanta and Gwinnett, etc.

I imagine part of it is they don't want to compete against themselves for ticket/concession money. The price of MLB games today makes seeing a AAA team with near MLB quality baseball for a fraction of the cost a pretty attractive alternative.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Popete posted:

I imagine part of it is they don't want to compete against themselves for ticket/concession money. The price of MLB games today makes seeing a AAA team with near MLB quality baseball for a fraction of the cost a pretty attractive alternative.

I love minor league ball but it's a completely different experience.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

more falafel please posted:

I love minor league ball but it's a completely different experience.

It is but if you're talking about taking a family who maybe just wants to have a fun outing together and doesn't care as much about the on field product a minor league game is a hell of a lot cheaper.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
The Saints provided a unique experience even within the context of being minor league baseball. MLB will probably sanitize the product, sadly

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

if they ever kill our MiLB team, the closest professional baseball will be 500+ miles away. Not ideal.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/snytv/status/1333858521771864070?s=21

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Oh boy, more ads

https://twitter.com/markjburns88/status/1333853711081287681?s=21

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Somehow MLB teams will still cry poor

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

we've covered every square inch of uniform, stadium, and field space with advertisements but we're still hemorrhaging money! Someone pwease help us!

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

loving dumb as poo poo

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
I can largely ignore the Nike logo but the Ford decals on batting helmets that the Angels/Astros used in a series a couple of years ago were fuckin awful man and I'd hate to see it be a thing

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Destroy capitalism

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

I went ahead and filled out an mlb survey that showed up in my inbox earlier. There was a box asking how I would describe MLB and my answer was "fun players, despicable owners" the same thing for my favorite team, to which I responded "see above"

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Oh gently caress off MLB.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
batting helmet decals look ridiculous but also there is 0 chance I will ever own a batting helmet so I'd prefer they went with those rather than sleeve patches

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Fire Manfred

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Really, really bummed about ads on jerseys etc. that sucks rear end

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Cubs getting Trump 2024 patches.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Passan with the $$ on the Minor contract:
https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1333886478921904129

MLBTR projected Minor at 1 year for $6 million so that's another FA who did better than expected.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

alpha_destroy posted:

My therapist has me sorting baseball cards before bed. Which is nice. And is helping. But anyway, that got me to look up Matt Harvey on BR. I don't know what I was expecting, but I was definitely surprised. His career ERA+ is underwater now, of course. But he still has a positive WAA which is kind of funny to me. Wonder how many pitchers have a combo like that. ERA+ under 100 but a positive wins above average.

I looked it up with Stathead, there are 115 pitchers with this combo and at least 1000 innings pitched. Four are still active: Ivan Nova, Jeff Samardzija, Ian Kennedy, Rick Porcello.

Pedro Astacio has the most WAA of this group, with 10.9 WAA and a 97 ERA+.

Irv Young, who played from 1905 to 1911, had an 88 ERA+ and 0.1 WAA.

Rick Sutcliffe has the most wins in the category, with a 171-139 record, 8.0 WAA, and 97 ERA+.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Been expecting this but it's official now

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1333948164244647937

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1333948257819631618

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Popete posted:

I hope we can do another Chicagoon outting to a Dogs game next year. That was a lot of fun and they put on a good show.

Also historic in that it was Big Z's last pro game.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
He got a win cuz of that other dude's grand slam, too!

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

LeeMajors posted:

Destroy capitalism

:same:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Can we trade this for getting rid of the expanded playoffs?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

8/18/2011 Never forget :911:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/6875671/joe-mauer-playing-right-field-short-handed-minnesota-twins

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

This entire story is just peak 2011-2014 twins

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

rickiep00h posted:

Also historic in that it was Big Z's last pro game.

I didn't go to the meetup, but I did see Big Z pitch an inning for the Dogs in a game that got rained out that year. He got shelled :(

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

more falafel please posted:

I didn't go to the meetup, but I did see Big Z pitch an inning for the Dogs in a game that got rained out that year. He got shelled :(

I forgot which thread I clicked on and I thought former Cavaliers center Zydrunas Ilgauskas tried a second career as a minor league pitcher for a second

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Popete posted:

I hope we can do another Chicagoon outting to a Dogs game next year. That was a lot of fun and they put on a good show.

Good times :allears:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

The Pussy Boss posted:

Passan with the $$ on the Minor contract:
https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1333886478921904129

MLBTR projected Minor at 1 year for $6 million so that's another FA who did better than expected.

I'm glad the Royals spent some money on a possibly good pitcher but that's a lot to pay for a guy who threw 50-some innings of bad baseball.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Welp, it's non-tender day so things are gonna happen today. Maybe not good things, if a player you like gets cut, but they're gonna happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I am very excited for Travis Shaw to not be a Blue Jay.