Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Howdges posted:

I still have about 10 pages to go in this thread but does anyone have any experience running a rx580 for vr? I'm running an r9 280x now and can only get to 70% resolution in ALVR, just get a black screen if I go any higher. Don't want to spend $400 on a graphics card either though. Also think I got a Quest 2 with faulty lenses, I bought one for my girlfriend as well and it doesn't seem to have the same "light bleed" issue as mine. Will Oculus replace it or am I sol? Microcenter apparently won't take VR headset returns because of covid.. wish someone would have told me that at checkout.

KTS posted:

Maybe I'm just used to having actual consumer protections in Australia, but surely a store can't refuse to take back a faulty item just because of covid? I can understand being poo poo out of luck if you just change your mind but faulty is faulty

According to this you can still return faulty items back to Microcenter:
https://community.microcenter.com/discussion/4616/update-on-return-policy-for-vr-headsets

I think it depends on how bad the light bleed is though, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L2_HuDlxg4

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
For the life of me I can’t figure out why no one has made me a spider man game yet. And yes I realize one technically exists but it sucks.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Rhymenoserous posted:

For the life of me I can’t figure out why no one has made me a spider man game yet. And yes I realize one technically exists but it sucks.

The frequency and quickness of orientation changes that a good spider-man game would require would be a recipe for vomiting.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
It's also a real expensive IP for a relatively small market.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Are quest 2 face covers worth looking into?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Uh, it seems I was wrong, and Pistol Whip 2089 is not a DLC, nor a sequel. It's free content!

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Lockback posted:

It's also a real expensive IP for a relatively small market.

Marvel Powers United already went there so it's not out of the question.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Uh, there is a janky as hell Spiderman mod for blade and sorcery, and incredibly janky city map to go along with it. The "VR experience" for the second marvel Spiderman movie has a free roam mode if I remember correctly.

Jet Island let's you swing, but it also gives you something Peter Parker never had, which is a frictionless surfboard. Actually wasn't he the silver surfer for a bit?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Jet Island commits the gaming sin of "hiding cool gameplay features behind stupid fetch quests" and for that I will always be mad at it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Shine posted:

Jet Island commits the gaming sin of "hiding cool gameplay features behind stupid fetch quests" and for that I will always be mad at it.

I have bad news about like 90% of spiderman games

Turin Turambar posted:

Uh, it seems I was wrong, and Pistol Whip 2089 is not a DLC, nor a sequel. It's free content!

Whoa! When I first saw it I thought it was a Sequel and was kinda disappointed since the gameplay looked samey. As DLC I was wondering if $10 was my line, so free is pretty sweet!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Yeah.... I mean this looks cool but it ultimately just looks like more Pistol Whip levels (which is all I want) The story mode stuff I could totally skip.

Rhymenoserous posted:

Uhhhhh

https://store.steampowered.com/app/458580/Windlands_2/

Also there's two actual spiderman VR games that technically exist. They're short but free so what do you have to lose?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1067800/SpiderMan_Far_From_Home_Virtual_Reality/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/645480/SpiderMan_Homecoming__Virtual_Reality_Experience/

But ultimately the official "spiderman" license is loving expensive and AAA is already wary enough of VR gaming investment on the small population size. That'll change eventually.

But seriously dude Windlands 1 and Windlands 2. There's your spiderman games. And there's even more! You just have to go looking for indie VR games, but I promise you they're out there.

PantsBandit posted:

The frequency and quickness of orientation changes that a good spider-man game would require would be a recipe for vomiting.

Nah not really, look above. Like anything else in VR it can be solved.

I mean Windlands is definitely not for VR first-timers, but for anybody who plays games with smooth locomotion its fine.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Nov 30, 2020

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Zaphod42 posted:

But seriously dude Windlands 1 and Windlands 2. There's your spiderman games. And there's even more! You just have to go looking for indie VR games, but I promise you they're out there.

These look great, thanks for the tip!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Subjunctive posted:

These look great, thanks for the tip!

Heads' up, I do find Windlands 2 is pretty difficult. It seems to almost assume you've already played Windlands 1, which is a bit more chill, although W2 also has a pretty significant graphics boost.

They're extremely wild experiences, but like I said you want to have your VR legs firmly comfortable before you dive in. They're on sale though for super cheap so do it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSeIn9q1jT4

E: Huh, I never noticed that W2 has 4-player co-op. That's really slick. Would probably make the boss fights significantly easier!!

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 30, 2020

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Zaphod42 posted:

E: Huh, I never noticed that W2 has 4-player co-op. That's really slick. Would probably make the boss fights significantly easier!!

I wonder if I can do that with one Oculus account. My daughter is more comfortable in VR than I am at this point.

I have a CV1, a Quest, and a Quest 2, and it would be great if more games let me run multiple instances in the same game as different players.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

It's oddly comforting that 9 years later I'm still trying to optimize Skyrim to make it as pretty as possible, a process I thought I had completed with out-the rear end ENBs and texture mods last year. Now I'm back down to 90 FPS with minimal mods in Skyrim VR. You never catch the dragon, I guess.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wind lands is really good but also really VR. Make sure you have your sea legs

Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004

Probably going to get an Quest 2 as a gift this Christmas and honestly I have never really looked into PCVR gaming. I plan on giving Star Wars Squadrons a try, but I'd love to get into to some RPGs like The Outer Worlds or Fallout 4 and even WoW if possible, although I have read that experiences with WoW in VR are not the best even though I haven't found much documentation on people playing in VR.

Are people buying the Quest 2 for outright PCVR?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

gently caress Man posted:

Probably going to get an Quest 2 as a gift this Christmas and honestly I have never really looked into PCVR gaming. I plan on giving Star Wars Squadrons a try, but I'd love to get into to some RPGs like The Outer Worlds or Fallout 4 and even WoW if possible, although I have read that experiences with WoW in VR are not the best even though I haven't found much documentation on people playing in VR.

With a little setup Quest 2 works great with PCVR games, either wireless or wired. I played through HL Alyx that way with only occasional, minor issues.

Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004

Also on a PC, is it enjoyable using your virtual screen in VR as a desktop for productivity / media? Is resolution or refresh good enough on any VR headsets to actually work this way? It seems like models like the Pimax 5K might have better screen clarity than the Quest 2.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I’m tempted by the cyber monday sale. Trying to decide between The Room or Trover Saves The Universe.

I also found an adult experience that utilizes hand tracking with the Quest 2. It was good for laughs and showing it to friends.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Playing/watching flat games and movies in VR is pretty much just like having a really big screen. It's nice. And watching movies is kind of nice in the sense of feeling like a cinema.

It pales in comparison to doing anything at all that's actually designed for VR, though.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Also on a PC, is it enjoyable using your virtual screen in VR as a desktop for productivity / media? Is resolution or refresh good enough on any VR headsets to actually work this way? It seems like models like the Pimax 5K might have better screen clarity than the Quest 2.

The resolution of both the Index and Quest 2 are good enough to "get by" using Virtual Desktop or similar, but not yet high enough to compete with a monitor. My simpit hardware is about 10ft from my monitor, so I'll use the headset if I'm tweaking my joystick's profile or checking an Elite Dangerous companion site before I launch the game. That said, it's not like the old Rift CV1 days where desktop stuff was an impossibly fuzzy chore; if for some dumbass reason I couldn't use my monitor and I needed to redesign a spreadsheet, then using the Quest 2 or Index wouldn't be a disaster.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

People who know things - I posted earlier about my specs and needing to beef up my PC Graphics card for VR, but I've heard fifty different opinions from fifty different sources. My specs are (2 GTX980s, intel 5930K i7 -@ 3.5 Ghz, 12 GB Ram) and I'm only looking to replace the graphics card and have ~$300 or so to spend. Folks here had a few suggestions, but then I asked Reddit and they basically said I'm SOL unless I want to shell out more money.

$300 is going to be a bit hard, sort of 'will run' VR but your looking at minimum VR FPS. Short list with your budget in mind, 1660S (absolute minimum, may not even run some headsets), 2060S might be a touch over budget. I have had a bit of luck with 2070 (the non S) being able to fit in budget, its a solid choice for VR and most people overlook them so you may be able to snag one on discount. Not sure on the pricing (also its not quite out yet) but the 3060 may be close to budget.

You looking for something with at least 6GB, preferably 8GB of VRAM and no older than the 20 cards (so the 580 is right out). AMD may have something but the 5000 cards had issues (that seem mostly resolved at this point) but also AMD is aiming for the more low to mid level GPUs. Not sure if that sill holds for the new ones, but your going to be budget limited for choices.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Building on what Shine said, it works but you're not gonna want to do it for very long. VR is cool but its enough uncomfortable and enough of a hassle that for productivity the reliability and simplicity of a flat screen wins out still.

But as we go through a few generations of VR improvements we'll get there.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

In my experience, not at all. Stuff that's actually designed for VR is worth the price (and inconvenience and discomfort) of entry, stuff that is not designed for VR is not.

I couldn't imagine suggesting to a friend that we put on VR headsets and watch Netflix, or put my headset on to make some spreadsheets.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Narcissus1916 posted:

People who know things - I posted earlier about my specs and needing to beef up my PC Graphics card for VR, but I've heard fifty different opinions from fifty different sources. My specs are (2 GTX980s, intel 5930K i7 -@ 3.5 Ghz, 12 GB Ram) and I'm only looking to replace the graphics card and have ~$300 or so to spend. Folks here had a few suggestions, but then I asked Reddit and they basically said I'm SOL unless I want to shell out more money.

I got a new computer for VR in 2016 with a 980ti and I haven't upgraded because there haven't been any cards that felt like a meaningful upgrade for less than $500.

Right now is an especially bad time to upgrade but you'll probably be fine starting with the 980, you just won't be able to run everything on high settings.

It seems like waiting for the 3060 to be available might be good for you, that should probably be around $350 and be a decent upgrade. Performance for the 3060 ti ($399) have leaked and it's faster than the 2080 super, so I imagine the non- Ti version will be pretty good.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The distributed-work stuff like Spatial is tolerable for a fair while, and I can watch a nice 2-hour movie with the Q1. Much longer than that and I get too warm and twitchy, but tbqh 2 hours is about my limit for regular video meetings anyway.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Tomorrow is December 1st, any day now my HP Reverb G2 should finally ship. :homebrew: I pre-ordered in the right time window for a December delivery.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Narcissus1916 posted:

$300 is going to be a bit hard, sort of 'will run' VR but your looking at minimum VR FPS. Short list with your budget in mind, 1660S (absolute minimum, may not even run some headsets), 2060S might be a touch over budget. I have had a bit of luck with 2070 (the non S) being able to fit in budget, its a solid choice for VR and most people overlook them so you may be able to snag one on discount. Not sure on the pricing (also its not quite out yet) but the 3060 may be close to budget.

You looking for something with at least 6GB, preferably 8GB of VRAM and no older than the 20 cards (so the 580 is right out). AMD may have something but the 5000 cards had issues (that seem mostly resolved at this point) but also AMD is aiming for the more low to mid level GPUs. Not sure if that sill holds for the new ones, but your going to be budget limited for choices.

Sell the 980s and buy... whatever you can actually get. Maybe the 3070? The new cards are almost impossible to get but if you really want you'll snipe one eventually.

I'm using a 1070 which is roughly like the 980Ti? So not that much better, and it runs everything. At most I need to drop the settings a bit in like Alyx or Stormlands but it's all playable. Well except Stormland but it just sucks for other reasons.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I play mostly PCVR, it's really good. In particular playing PCVR wirelessly is a huge bonus. Squadrons is super fun (with a HOTAS it's incredible), and there are a few good VR RPGs. FO4 is kind of a cruddy port, and Outer Worlds doesn't have VR support as far as I can tell.

Saints and Sinners is a fun VR RPG, there are a few mediocre ones. RPGs aren't super well represented yet.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Narcissus1916 posted:

Try to find a used 2070S if you can, I bet in the next couple months you'll find one for $300 or cheaper. A 3070 is a much better choice, but that's $500. The 3060ti might be around your budget between $349-$399, but its not out yet so really hard to say if its any good.

980 will work fine for now, but the SLI won't help at all and in fact may hurt things.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

On a Quest 2, playing stuff on a fake screen in Virtual Desktop is pretty great

I have no problems reading text, the virtual screen takes up a larger viewing angle than my monitor, and the environment is much nicer. I do wish it had some more environments, though

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Lemming posted:

I have no problems reading text, the virtual screen takes up a larger viewing angle than my monitor, and the environment is much nicer. I do wish it had some more environments, though

I would most definitely feel self conscious swinging around in VR in front of such large windows!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Lemming posted:

It looks like you're playing MHW within GTA Online.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Gort posted:

I couldn't imagine suggesting to a friend that we put on VR headsets and watch Netflix, or put my headset on to make some spreadsheets.

I've done exactly this a few times, and it was fine (and I've just got a Vive). So I guess YMMV.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Monster Hunter World is one of the best games ever loving made and I love it. I just responded to a bunch of SOS flares and helped random people from around the world :allears:

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Zaphod42 posted:

But ultimately the official "spiderman" license is loving expensive and AAA is already wary enough of VR gaming investment on the small population size. That'll change eventually.

What really kills me is insomniac made the awesome spiderman game, and are also one of the few AAA studios with real experience in VR under their belts, let alone VR that really pushes locomotion and open world gameplay (Stormland) and isn't just some one off 'experience'. Theres soooo much potential there to have insomniac do a spiderman VR thing (yes it would be a psvr2 exclusive, but even still).

My worry is after sony bought insomniac all that VR experience is going to go to waste and they'll just be stuck working on flat screen exclusives. I really hope I'm wrong though and sony lets them keep playing in VR. They made 4 VR games, and I hope they get to make a lot more.

The resolution now when looking at a virtual monitor the size and distance of a real monitor in the Q2 is somewhere between a 720p and 1080p screen. Its readable and usable, and obviously making the monitor bigger or moving it closer will increase that, so yeah you can do media or productivity but the question is would you really want to?

Media, that has its uses. Having a whole giant movie theater to yourself in something like bigscreen or another can be a great way to watch a film while stuck quarantining at home, or laying in bed and watching tv, or hanging out with friends watching a movie together. Heck, one thing i got a kick out of was experiencing movies from before my time that I have never had the chance to see 'on the big screen' as they were intended to be watched. 2001 on an imax screen is fantastic... Its also a great way to watch 3d films as the stereo effect is perfect, and better than a theater. If you're watching something on a huge screen as well, you're getting pretty close to around 1080p visuals so its not blurry and low rent looking like the first gen of headsets.

Productivity though, outside of some unique scenario like, maybe if you were at a hotel and wanted multiple large monitors to work on instead of a laptop it might be workable, but ultimately until VR headset are as comfortable as a pair of glasses its never going to be better with a headset on than sitting around without one.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I use Virtual Desktop now and then for playing and watching stuff in bed on my Quest 1. Resolution definitely isn't perfect but it's good enough and the Quest 2 is apparently markedly better, it's a valid use of the tech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

More videos of the history of VR: The Portal Locomotion of Budget Cuts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f786ak3GKQo