Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Safety Biscuits isn't able to run Secret Santa this year, so Hieronymous Alloy has approved me to take care of things. I apologize for how late this thread is – I didn't step up earlier because I didn't think that I could manage it, but the delay with no other volunteers finally forced my hand. I will do everything that I can to ensure a good Secret Santa this year, regardless of this hiccup.

Safety Biscuits has used more or less the same OP since 2016, so I won't be reinventing the wheel here.

Hello goonlings and welcome to the 2020 Book Barn Secret Santa! Are you ready to give the gift of books for Christmas?

If so, you're in the right thread. Just sign up, send someone a present in time for Christmas, and sit back to await your own. As this involves personal information and money, I'm going to go into more detail first. If you're interested, read this whole post and then you can join the fun. Feel free to check out the threads for 2016's, 2017's, 2018's, and 2019's Secret Santas.

Can you join?
Yes, if you have an account at least six months old and at least one post outside the thread so we know you're not trying to join4books. If you don't, ask a goon who fulfils these critera to email me saying you're a good egg, and you're in.

Do you want to join?
There are three conditions you must accept when you join. Firstly, sending ebooks or audiobooks internationally may be an issue, so you must be willing to post and accept a physical present.

Secondly, you must be willing to let me, Hieronymus Alloy (who will also have access to the gmail account), and your Santa know your real name and address, and provide some extra information, such as phone number or email, if the Post Office needs it to deliver to you. Obviously, this is all personal information. You must not use it outside of the Secret Santa. I will only use it to match goons up and tell Santas where to post their stuff. If you need to contact your match, please do so via me.

Lastly, this is a commitment. If you're about to have a baby, be sued for everything you own, or otherwise have trouble fulfilling that commitment, please think twice before joining in. There's always next year. Unless you're terminally ill, but then you've got bigger problems.

Signing up
I want to make postage as quick, cheap, and easy as I amcan. When you sign up, choose a postage option. They are:
[My country] only if you're only ready to post things within your country.
Regional if you can post something to a nearby country.
Worldwide if you're rich and organised. I'll still try to put your match in your region, though.

The regions are usually North America, Europe, and Pacific. If you're in the USA, restricting things to your country shouldn't be a problem. If you're anywhere else, it might just be, so consider plugging this Secret Santa somewhere other people from your country post. If it looks like there might be issues with postage, I'll be in touch before signups end. There haven't been yet though, don't worry.

What to get
The idea of the Secret Santa is to spread joy and love. Here's how. First, read your match's sign-up post, and get something you think they'll like. Second, your present should be worth roughly the cost of a new hardback novel in your country – about US$25. This does not include postage, so don't spend $5 on a present and $20 on postage!

Apart from that, everything is ok. More than one book? Great. Good-as-new books? Super. Book-related things or a little extra? Awesome. Look at previous threads for ideas, and try to surprise your match – that's part of the fun! Just remember that a book token is boring, so don't send that.

Your match may already have the book you sent them. This is unlucky but not your fault if you read their sign-up post. However, please try to get a gift receipt in case this happens – it may not work internationally but is a nice idea.

How to post your gift
Quickly. You must post with enough time for it to reach your match by Thursday, December 24 31, at the latest. Take a photo of your proof of postage and the parcel. You don't need to show me, but if your present is late it'll be useful to prove that you sent it on time with the correct address. Label the present as being part of the Secret Santa so they know what it is.

Remember, if you're posting internationally, you may be able to buy your gift online in their country, post to their address, and save time and money.

Anything else?
It's unlikely to happen, but if you mess up, expect the moderator's wrath, depending on how grievous a sin you have committed. Obviously if something is delayed, lost, or damaged in the post that's not your fault. Again, this hasn't happened yet, so don't let fear of this stop you joining in.

If you'd like to send extra Christmas presents to everyone, please get in touch! I'd be delighted to make it happen. If it does, I'll post in the thread and participants must tell me they want it by email or post. You don't get it automatically.

Please tell other subforums and threads about this. The more the merrier!

What to do in step-by-step detail
1. Finish reading this whole post and ask any questions you have in the thread.

2. Post in this thread and bookmark it. Tell us what you'd like or not like, if an e-book or audiobook is okay, and what equipment you've got. Be explicit; your Santa may be a Luddite. Add anything else you'd like to be public, such as your goodreads profile or whatever.

3. Email sabookbarnsecretsanta@gmail.com telling me this:
Username: Please put this in your email's subject line!
Real Name and Address: Including the country. If you're in a non-English speaking country, please send me your address in both English and your local language.
Postage: Your country, regional, or worldwide.
Anything else: Anything else I or your Santa might need to know that you want to be private, or that you need to be sure I've read.

Do this even if you've been in a Secret Santa before.

4. When I get your email, I'll note your information and send a confirmation email. You need the confirmation, so bug me if you don't get one.

5. Signups will close on Tuesday, December 1. I'll email you with your match's information the following day. You should then read their post and think of something they'd like.

6. Post it to them so it arrives on Thursday, December 24 31, at the latest.

7. When your present arrives, post in the thread so your Santa and I know it arrived safely. You can open it whenever you like, but when you do, post photos and thank your Santa. This is a rule, not a suggestion.

8. When your match posts to say thank you, step forward and take a bow.

The most important thing...
I know there's a lot of rules here, but they're purely to prevent drama. Hopefully it'll come down to nothing more complex than “give your match a nice present well in time for Christmas”. Don't sweat it.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Signing myself up to start. I was overthinking this post pretty badly, but then I realized that I just want a really good novel that I can take seriously or a really bad one that I can have a nice laugh at. Anything that falls into either place (or both? it's conceivable) works for me. Physical, please, and in good condition.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Nov 20, 2020

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

This is totally unorthodox (and it doesn't help that I'm the first non-OP reply), but I've been lurking TBB for like 10 years so I hope this is taken in good faith. I'm dead god drat broke but full of holiday spirit, so I want to extend the same offer I'm doing for the TradGames Secret Santa.

I'm broke as poo poo but I read and write like 8 kinds of Chinese across thousands of years of history and am a decent calligrapher so I'm offering decorative scrolls to any goons who want them* at the cost of shipping without asking for a dime in profit. I don't even want a gift, I just want to give people nice things and this is the skill I have. We can work out the particulars over PM's or e-mail or using the OP as a cut-away or whatever is best for everyone.

So if you want like some old-rear end poetry or some lines of the Dao De Jing or "butts butts balls cock" but in 500BCE era Chinese, hit me up. Happy holidays, everyone!

*Within reason, obviously. But I'll try really hard!

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Fine by me! In the Christmas spirit, I will sponsor five of them.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Nov 20, 2020

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I would be very interesting in joining this :)

I love reading books that were translated to English from a different language. especially if it is written by someone outside of the US/UK/Canada, or just overall concerns a cultural experience or POV I would have no clue about as a white american.

e. I feel weird being so picky so--if that is not your jam--send me your most favorite book, good or bad

Xiahou Dun posted:

This is totally unorthodox (and it doesn't help that I'm the first non-OP reply), but I've been lurking TBB for like 10 years so I hope this is taken in good faith. I'm dead god drat broke but full of holiday spirit, so I want to extend the same offer I'm doing for the TradGames Secret Santa.

I'm broke as poo poo but I read and write like 8 kinds of Chinese across thousands of years of history and am a decent calligrapher so I'm offering decorative scrolls to any goons who want them* at the cost of shipping without asking for a dime in profit. I don't even want a gift, I just want to give people nice things and this is the skill I have. We can work out the particulars over PM's or e-mail or using the OP as a cut-away or whatever is best for everyone.

So if you want like some old-rear end poetry or some lines of the Dao De Jing or "butts butts balls cock" but in 500BCE era Chinese, hit me up. Happy holidays, everyone!

xiahou, that sounds incredibly cool! I have some spare cash, so I would prefer if someone more broke then I took up Sham's offer, but I would absolutely love a scroll. let's get in touch!

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I have updated the email address in the OP.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Xiahou Dun posted:

This sounds awesome and I would like one of these. I can afford the shipping, so I too will pass on Sham's offer of funding.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Also I was just trying to be sweet. Go buy some people copies of Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell or Lovecraftcountry or something. If you must continue my silly derail, there's a very nice translation of Romance of the Three Kingdoms that's on the other side of the house that I'm too lazy to reference. Or I can root up the least bad translation of Dream of the Red Chamber/Story of the Stone.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I was hoping this Secret Santa was back this year, last year's was great, and things are even better for me right now than they were back then.

I like to read both fiction and non-fiction. Novels, novellas, graphic novels, chunky manga, poetry, essays, historical non-fiction, philosophy, language, anything is cool! This is my goodreads, which is about as comprehensive as you can make it. Everything on there I already own, just a matter of whether or not I have read it yet. I have an AU Amazon wishlist and an older UK Amazon wishlist from before the AU site existed that I've been too lazy to consolidate (also because the AU site sucks and has less than half the content). Don't feel constrained by the wishlists though, there's a great many books out there that I don't even know I want yet! :buddy:

Also if you're anti-Bezos (and with good reason) and buying from your local bookstore and shipping yourself is too pricy, the friendlier option is Booktopia

I can ship worldwide if you need me to

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I have removed the request for a real name for the rules; a handle should be enough for our purposes here. An address is obviously still necessary.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 22, 2020

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys
I'll join again this year!

I read a lot of fiction and non-fiction, so I'm open for a lot of stuff! It would be cool to get some good literature from your country, but if you have something else in mind I'm sure I'll enjoy it. My only thing is that I don't really enjoy most fantasy or sci-fi, but don't take that as a hard no if you want to send me something you find interesting. I'm open for audiobooks, but my Kindle just broke so unfortunately no e-books. I'll send my google-docs of all the books I've read since like 2013 in the email, so you can check if I've already read something. Books in english, german and scandinavian languages are all fine.

I would also really enjoy a scroll, I'll send you a PM, Xiahou Dun

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Due to the pandemic and the delay in getting this set up, I have added a one-week grace period for presents to arrive.

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres
I'd like to participate. I would love a physical book, ideally a history book or some other cool non-fiction, or some poetry.

Xiahou Dun posted:

I'd love one of these too, and happy to pay for my own and sponsor 2 or 3 others who want them.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Ani posted:

I'd like to participate. I would love a physical book, ideally a history book or some other cool non-fiction, or some poetry.

I'd love one of these too, and happy to pay for my own and sponsor 2 or 3 others who want them.

Yeah of course. I've been hoarding appropriate boxes for weeks.

Just let me know what you want it to say cause otherwise I'll pick a poem I like or something.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
hello I am joining the human santapede

I like literature, my absolute favorite is W.G. Sebald, but I already have all his books (except maybe for poetry, i only have After Nature) so that is just an example. I also very enjoy Mishima, Bolaño and Borges and Lispector for more examples. I like surprises so if it's something I've never heard of that is also great, as long as it is very great literature.
would prefer a physical book because it's fun to get things in the mail.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Hello! I will join the transfer of books from my Half-Price to Sham bam's Half-Price fun!

Things I Like: I would prefer physical books -- no ereader, and I'm not a big fan of audiobooks, so physical it is. I'm fine with used books as long as they're in good shape; margin notes and highlights are fine, and kind of fun, but please nothing with weird stains or questionable structural integrity.

My current preferences run towards mysteries (I've got a huge stack of Christie and a somewhat smaller stack of Nero Wolfe, but I'd love to get some of the other classics), surreal/weird horror (been on a huge Robert Aickman kick recently), and literary fiction, although my pile of good literary fiction to read keeps getting taller and taller. I'm particularly interested in contemporary short stories and poetry. SA introduced me to James Tate this year, and two collections later (Worshipful Company of Fletchers and Dome of the Hidden Pavilion) I'm hungry for more, from Tate or poets like him.

Finally, well, I'll admit it: I am always interested in crappy books, particularly interesting crappy books. (My secret holy grail is a copy of J-F Bibeau's Felsic Tension, which seems to have disappeared from the Internet completely, as perhaps only a book that was sold exclusively by the author over eBay could.) If you find a particularly wild monstrosity, send it my way.

If you're concerned about duplicates and want to check on my collection, my fiance's SA username is hexwren. Feel free to PM them.

Antivehicular fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Dec 1, 2020

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm in, and I'm willing to go world wide because I'm in a position to spend a little more on postage this year and I'm on vacation from the 7th to the 11th so even an idiot like me can figure out how to mail a book internationally.

As for what I'd like, any kind of physical book from your country/region. Doesn't necessarily need to be in English, though I can only read that and a little French.

I'll go on to step two and email my details on my lunch break today.

Edit: If we get matched together and you can't mail me a physical book a postcard recommending a book would be very nice; then I could go find a copy and use that as a book mark!

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Dec 1, 2020

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
I'll join up, as long as impersonally shipping a book via an online retailer is allowed. Rummaging through a physical bookstore and joining the holiday crowd at the post office aren't really in the cards right now. But that means I'll ship to anywhere as long as someone in your country sells books.

I would love a book that's fun to read for kids and adults. My daughter is turning 2 soon and loves to read with us. Something pleasant to look at that won't drive an adult braindead would be great: a biography of someone you admire, a folktale from your part of the world, an illustrated introduction to your favorite science discipline. (The Little People, Big Dreams series is a good baseline for what catches her interest. Also a really good gift idea for any other kids in your life.)

I also read books without pictures sometimes. I'd love interesting science fiction or fantasy that isn't from the classic Big Names or recent Hugo hotness, or non-fiction that will introduce me to leftist history or theory as a well-meaning but clueless liberal. Fair warning though, kid stuff is still at the top of my reading list at the moment so it may be a while until I can read your gift and properly thank you.

If you want to shop locally, my bookstores are Broadway and Powell's.

wizzardstaff fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 1, 2020

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

wizzardstaff posted:

I'll join up, as long as impersonally shipping a book via an online retailer is allowed.
Absolutely.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I am in this year!

I like . . books. I like to be surprised. I like happy endings and good vibes. I like books about platonic male friendships (Aubrey/Maturin, Frodo/Sam, Master Li and Number Ten Ox; Steinbeck's Cannery Row; Howard Pyle's The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood). I like well-done nonfiction on interesting topics. I like genre fiction if it has something unique and interesting about it. I like giving books to people.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Dec 3, 2020

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Sign-ups are officially closed. I will send emails tonight when I get back from work.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Emails have been sent.

DirtyCheeseburgers
Apr 15, 2003

College Slice
Oh geez - I signed up and forgot to post. Sorry about that. We have a six month old so between that and general 2020 my brain is mush.

That said, I love to read! Here is my goodreads profile. Over the past year-ish I've listened to (after reading years ago) most of the Joe Abercrombie novels, and I'm currently listening to the latest Stormlight Archives on audible. I'm also on the last book of the Lightbringer series by Brent Weeks. So I'll need a new fantasy series soon I guess? But also, I am pretty happy to read most fiction. Also like graphic novels.

Edit: Gifts deployed! Estimated date of arrival is the 10th.

DirtyCheeseburgers fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Dec 3, 2020

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Gifts have been sent! The shipper didn't have a field for a gift notice, so they'll be anonymous, but I'll claim it once the Santee receives it. Santee, you will receive a package from a bookseller -- do not fear!

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Packed and sent! I hope my recipient enjoys :)

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
oh yeah, i sent mine a while ago, in fact it should have arrived by now, i hope it arrived at the correct place!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Cheer has been deployed in two parts

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
My gift has arrived! A watercolor-illustrated biography of Virginia Woolf. I tried to take a picture of my kid reading it but she was too antsy to be photogenic. But I'm sure she'll come to appreciate it soon enough. Thank you!

I have also sent my contribution to the exchange which I expect will arrive in the next week or two.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I uh got some bad news.

I hosed up my right arm/hand the other day so scroll production is grinding to a halt.

Not gonna grinch and they're all still coming but I can't really make them lefty/with my teeth or something so this might be more of like a New Years thing.

I'm really sorry.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
i'm not participating but i did want to say i really don't think you need to apologize. get well soon! :)

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Package sent!

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys
Just a quick note to whoever got me as secret santa: I had to travel for a funeral (luckily this is still possible in my country), so I won't be home before the new year to receive or post about the package.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

So uh hand worse than thought. I was spoilers for gross bleeding from my fingernails and it kept swelling ; turns out I broke a knuckle.

Really sorry for everything. My bad.

Happy Holidays though!

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

So uh hand worse than thought. I was spoilers for gross bleeding from my fingernails and it kept swelling ; turns out I broke a knuckle.

Really sorry for everything. My bad.

Happy Holidays though!

Holy poo poo that's gnarly. Recover well friend, and thanks for your kind offer.

Just next time, maybe don't go bareknuckle boxing before Christmas :arghfist:

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Thanks santa! Who knew they have 3d books now :o interested to see what modern fantasy is like, haven't read one in 10 years are so. Neat!

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

wizzardstaff posted:

My gift has arrived! A watercolor-illustrated biography of Virginia Woolf. I tried to take a picture of my kid reading it but she was too antsy to be photogenic. But I'm sure she'll come to appreciate it soon enough. Thank you!

I have also sent my contribution to the exchange which I expect will arrive in the next week or two.

also this was me :) i hope she enjoys it eventually!

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

derp posted:

also this was me :) i hope she enjoys it eventually!

Thanks! I've never read any Virginia Woolf myself either, so maybe we'll get to it together someday.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

http://imgur.com/a/yO9rVtN

absolutely beautiful covers, just what I wanted in terms of varied experiences and foreign authors. thank you so much!

arrived just in time for me to sequester myself in a cabin in the woods, so curious if my Santa has a favorite I should start with :)

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 14, 2020

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Famethrowa posted:

http://imgur.com/a/yO9rVtN

absolutely beautiful covers, just what I wanted in terms of varied experiences and foreign authors. thank you so much!

arrived just in time for me to sequester myself in a cabin in the woods, so curious if my Santa has a favorite I should start with :)

Awesome, glad they got there!

In terms of a favorite... I admit, I've actually only read the Ror Wolf, which is charmingly absurd; the others were just a variety of interesting-looking titles from the same publisher. I'd just start with whatever looks good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Antivehicular posted:

Awesome, glad they got there!

In terms of a favorite... I admit, I've actually only read the Ror Wolf, which is charmingly absurd; the others were just a variety of interesting-looking titles from the same publisher. I'd just start with whatever looks good.

I read a few selections in Ror Wolf, which was completely my speed and hilarious.

Brought Flowers of Mold with me and am currently in front of a nice fire with a beer reading it. :cheers: Happy holidays.