Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Like a lottery? Sweepstakes? Raffle? Grocery store monopoly game? Something involving dumb luck with a big payoff?

Have you ever entered and won a grand prize or some money on a game show or had a lucky pull on a slot machine? Did it impact your life in a positive or negative way?

I have never won anything but I would love to hear stories of people winning something.

Ralph Hurley fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Dec 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Last year I entered every contest I could find where the prize is a guitar. Epiphone for instance used to have guitar giveaways on a monthly basis. I haven’t won a guitar yet.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
when I was in high school the local

:sigh:

rodeo parade street fair,

had a rip-off plinko board that they just called plinko, because, like, what, is The Price Is Right going to sue them?

anyway I won as much as it is possible to win
I won as many pucks as I could and they all went in the middle one
I don't remember what the prize was, I mostly just remember feeling vindicated for all the times I watched The Price Is Right and thought "man I would do so much better" even though in retrospect that makes no sense as something you could be "good at"

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

I won a lovely wayne gretzky book in a balloon pop raffle

e: oh yeah I also won a random comedy central draw for a some CC branded pens and paper, and a few small stuffed dolls from some show I can't remember anymore

FormaldehydeSon fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Dec 1, 2020

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i was born white and upper middle class

MOOBS!
Dec 10, 2013

apparently i won a loving 6800 ULTRA EXTREME EDITION way back when but never got an email or used a throwaway email or something and had no idea till a tinder date looked up my name to make sure i wasnt too freaky and yeah fuckers its on this list

https://www.evga.com/articles/188.asp

MOOBS!
Dec 10, 2013

i swear to god the dicks i would suck if i could go back in time and claim my prize it would have changed my life

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
I won $500 on a $1 scratcher a year ago.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah I won a cheese during a red cross auction/lottery, some home made poo poo made by an old lady.
There was one cheese for auction as well and it went for like 200$+. This is the most expensive thing ive ever won, it was a raffle and I was 8, I was a sorely disappointed kid lugging around a cheese larger than my head. All the little old ladies were looking at me with a mix of jealousy and respect that evening. The grumpy cheese boy.

Zombiepop fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Dec 1, 2020

MOOBS!
Dec 10, 2013

Zombiepop posted:

Yeah I won a cheese during a red cross auction/thingy, some home made poo poo made by an old lady.
There was one cheese for auction as well and it went for like 200$+. This is the most expensive thing ive ever won, it was a raffle and I was 8, I was a sorely disappointed kid lugging around a cheese larger than my head.

man i bet you would kill for a cheese larger than your head these days especially some of that dank home made grandma poo poo

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

MOOBS! posted:

man i bet you would kill for a cheese larger than your head these days especially some of that dank home made grandma poo poo

Hell yeah, that was some really nice cheese I have been told, could go for that and some nice red wine right about now.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
My best friend's family won the $1M Publishers Clearing House prize back in the 90's. His pretty teenage sister answered the door in a towel and it was used in their commercials for a while. We had a falling out afterwards as he became just... kinda mean and was pretty vocal about everything he had was better than mine. Anyway, their mom was a gambling addict and they blew through the money in a few years. I got back in touch with his sister a while back and she ended up doing well for herself. My friend got hardcore into drugs and when I tried to reach out to him on Facebook, he just aggressively hit on me so I dropped contact. :smith:

Uh... When I was in high school, I won first place in the Academic Olympics(?) for English in my state. I don't remember much, I just know I got a day off of school and I was reading a book of Stephen King short stories between tests. I was so loving depressed in high school, I barely remember any of it.

MOOBS!
Dec 10, 2013

Das Boo posted:

My best friend's family won the $1M Publishers Clearing House prize back in the 90's. His pretty teenage sister answered the door in a towel and it was used in their commercials for a while. We had a falling out afterwards as he became just... kinda mean and was pretty vocal about everything he had was better than mine. Anyway, their mom was a gambling addict and they blew through the money in a few years. I got back in touch with his sister a while back and she ended up doing well for herself. My friend got hardcore into drugs and when I tried to reach out to him on Facebook, he just aggressively hit on me so I dropped contact. :smith:

Uh... When I was in high school, I won first place in the Academic Olympics(?) for English in my state. I don't remember much, I just know I got a day off of school and I was reading a book of Stephen King short stories between tests. I was so loving depressed in high school, I barely remember any of it.

hey das boo- you won there a day off is def better than a)openening a door in a towel b)gambling a million a way c)doing drugs until they arent fun and you hit on people on facebook

having to read steven king is def 4th worst on that list good job

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
in middle school they were giving away school supplies to like 200 students at a time by playing bingo in the cafetaria and i kept winning over and over

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

MOOBS! posted:

hey das boo- you won there a day off is def better than a)openening a door in a towel b)gambling a million a way c)doing drugs until they arent fun and you hit on people on facebook

having to read steven king is def 4th worst on that list good job

This is true! Choosing to read Stephen King might elevate the worseness a bit, but your point stands.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I won a "VIP trip" from Yamaha to the Superbikes event on Phillip Island. The email went into spam of course with a post script like "If you don't reply to this within X days we will re-issue the prize" so I went a bit frantic trying to get into contact with them.
Luckily I did actually get the prize despite it being past X days so I took my Dad and we had a good time. The sweepstakes was supposedly worth $5000 but if you add up the flights, accommodation, and the entry to the event it was probably only $2K, but still nothing to sneeze at for free obviously.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I won a trip to Austin texas through work. I got full pay for the week and was flown out and put up in a really nice JW Marriot, i got really drunk every night on the company's dime, they had 3 seperate "VIP events" with a lot of cool free stuff, and they had a private concert by Darius Rucker on the final night and he played wagon wheel. Its easily the best thing ive ever won.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

MOOBS! posted:

apparently i won a loving 6800 ULTRA EXTREME EDITION way back when but never got an email or used a throwaway email or something and had no idea till a tinder date looked up my name to make sure i wasnt too freaky and yeah fuckers its on this list

https://www.evga.com/articles/188.asp

I won an Nvidia 7800 GTX from New Egg years ago when they first started out, I was so loving floored to have won such a cutting edge card- I was playing Everquest at the time, too so it was such a monsterous upgrade. my face hurt for a week I smiled so hard...

In the 5th Grade, I won the King of the Ragamuffin Parade sponsored by the Knights of Columbus. I still even have the trophy. It was a big deal because in order to get the nomination, I had to be nominated by the school that was selected for that year, which was my school. There was a huge writeup in the newspapers, complete with a photo op. I was pulled around the racetrack in a racing harness sulky (that's the kind of horse racing where instead of sitting on top of the horse in a saddle they sit in a racing harness with 2 wheels that the "drivers" ride in behind the horse) along with the Queen of the parade, at Yonkers Raceway in Yonkers, NY.

I was number 1 in the Air Force to sew on Staff Sergeant when I made rank, that was a really bizarre and surreal experience, notably because I did not want the promotion, but I had to test, and didn't want to just "throw" the test, but by passing the test and getting the promotion, I lost out on a separation incentive payment.

I won my settlement after 24 years with the VA for my disability claim.

I'm 55. I would've outlived my medieval counterpart by a couple of decades.

I win at life...

MOOBS!
Dec 10, 2013

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

I won an Nvidia 7800 GTX from New Egg years ago when they first started out, I was so loving floored to have won such a cutting edge card- I was playing Everquest at the time, too so it was such a monsterous upgrade. my face hurt for a week I smiled so hard...

In the 5th Grade, I won the King of the Ragamuffin Parade sponsored by the Knights of Columbus. I still even have the trophy. It was a big deal because in order to get the nomination, I had to be nominated by the school that was selected for that year, which was my school. There was a huge writeup in the newspapers, complete with a photo op. I was pulled around the racetrack in a racing harness sulky (that's the kind of horse racing where instead of sitting on top of the horse in a saddle they sit in a racing harness with 2 wheels that the "drivers" ride in behind the horse) along with the Queen of the parade, at Yonkers Raceway in Yonkers, NY.

I was number 1 in the Air Force to sew on Staff Sergeant when I made rank, that was a really bizarre and surreal experience, notably because I did not want the promotion, but I had to test, and didn't want to just "throw" the test, but by passing the test and getting the promotion, I lost out on a separation incentive payment.

I won my settlement after 24 years with the VA for my disability claim.

I'm 55. I would've outlived my medieval counterpart by a couple of decades.

I win at life...

hey man good loving run at everything but as a dude that played (sometimes plays) everquest LOL you know just how unhappy you really are.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

I won a copy of The Vagina Bible. I forgot I'd entered and it showed up in my mailbox and I couldn't figure out who it was from since there was no congratulatory letter or anything.

Also I don't consider it a random draw win, but when I was 7, I opened a box of Cracker Jack with no prize. After my mother sent a strongly-worded letter, I received a huge box full of Cracker Jack, and one of pretty much every available prize, including a child-size fake gold bracelet, and coupons for a year's worth of free Cracker Jack. I wish I still had the letter that came with it. It was personalized and had a real signature and everything.

Ninja edit: oh and I won 2nd place in a nationally televised karaoke contest. Should've come in first but the host (a sock puppet) tallied the scores incorrectly, but I don't think talent or merit winnings count in this thread, right?

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
I won the top prize raffle at a church I used to work at. It was an all expense paid trip to Hilton Head. The church was homophobic so it was extra sweet to take my boyfriend and propose to him amongst the dunes at sunset.

Other than that I once was lucky enough to win $500 off of a $1 scratch off lottery ticket when I was 18/19. I can totally understand how people can become gambling addicts. Still remember the high I felt when the clerk counted out my winnings; even remember how I had to tear myself away from the sparkling tickets under the glass counter.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

I won a copy of Tales from the Borderlands in an LP thread on this very forum and I also won a free Platinum account upgrade for correctly guessing that Trump would tweet zero times between 8pm and 12am on election night in the lol at Trump thread.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I won an impromptu Twitter contest that a videogame studio threw. They gave me the choice of a couple of things from their cupboard full of years-old promo crap. I ended up with a soundtrack CD and a comic book, and they threw in some local candy as a bonus.

A blatant and transparent attempt to clean out their office, to be sure, but better than kick in the rear end!

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Chinatown posted:

i was born white and upper middle class

This and male and able bodied. 10/10 would do it again.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Matador had some contest to write a funny caption for a picture of Jon Spencer Blues Explosion in gorilla suits. Can't remember what I wrote, just that I wrote it in like 10 minutes while stoned and certain I wouldn't win

But I did win

Life's been more or less downhill since then tbh

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

In 3rd grade I won that game where you toss a ring over the top of a bottle on the 2nd toss. I had a huge bucket of rings left and my Dad goes "So he gets to throw the rest, right?" and the guy said no. My dad was pretty pissed, but I did win a giant stuffed dolphin.

I also won a radio contest for tickets to a WWE show like 12 years ago, that was pretty cool. I saw Benoit like a month before he killed himself and his family.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I won grand prize in S.W.A.T. Pro (a sister magazine to GamePro) magazine in 1993 for beating a video game before anyone else and sending in a video tape of the ending. In hindsight it probably cost $5 for the VHS tape and $5 for shipping the tape just to have a tiny shot at winning, which is ridiculous when you consider the prize was worth all of $90.

The prize was you got to choose one 16 bit game, or three 8 bit games. Game Boy counted as 8 bit, so I picked that, because even at 12 years old I knew 3 Game Boy games were worth $90 and one 16 bit game was worth maybe $60.

You got to choose whichever game you wanted, and I remember picking Marble Madness for Game Boy, Tiny Toon Adventures 2: Montana's Movie Madness, and a third game I can't remember (I think it was Vegas Stakes). Anyway I remember it was like pulling teeth to get them to send me the games. I wrote them letters for the better part of a year asking where my games were, and I would always get the same woman replying to me that they were "working on it". After a year of back and forth with them they finally sent them, but they sent me Tiny Toon Adventures: Bab's Big Break instead.

The only other prize I ever won was oddly enough the same year.

I bought this game for the SNES:

I remembered reading about it in Nintendo Power magazine and it seemed like such a cool idea for a game (basically it's an Out of This World/Flashback/Blackthorne-style game where you on a sinking cruise ship in the 1920s and can choose from a few different characters who all have different plots and abilities). I could not find it in stores anywhere. So I actually had to mail-order it from one of those gaming stores that advertised in the back of video game magazines. I don't even remember how I paid for it. I was way too young to have a credit card.

Anyway when I opened the game, there was the usual warranty/customer survey card that no one fills out. Even though they usually claim they will enter you in a raffle, I never bothered to ever do any of them because I figured it's not worth the stamp or my time when 20,000 other people probably filled it out too. But then I remembered what a pain in the rear end it was to buy this game and said gently caress it, and sent it in. Sure enough 2 or 3 months later a package arrives at my house and in it is 3 brand new Vic Tokai SNES games. One of the games were Super Conflict and one was Time Slip. I don't remember what the third one was. What I do remember is this weird feeling of guilt I had that I won. I really liked SOS and I felt bad that there had to be so few people that bought it for me to have won. I even pictured in my head some depressed Vic Tokai employee turning the handle on one of those barrels that mixes up the cards; upset that there were only 3 of them flopping around in there. I was a weird kid.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE
The only thing I've really won was a really fancy $150 purple silk tie. I still wear it occasionally. It's way more than I would ever pay for a tie, but I do have to admit, the material is much nicer than most of my other ties so I can see where up to a certain price point there is a quality increase.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
An old roommate of mine worked for a cable company where he would go to sporting events and sell people cable but also run a raffle event. He would always enter my name in every drawing.

Eventually I won a signed hockey stick by a Red Wings player, but I don’t remember who actually signed it. I let him sell it on eBay for me and keep half the money. Got $100 in my pocket for doing nothing.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Bag Flying At Noon, (2024)
I won a GameCube from like EB or somewhere. I don’t remember the full details.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
i once bought a $1 raffle ticket and won a half a beef. i had to pay for the cut and wrap but it figured to about 22 cents/pound when it was all said and done.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I won bingo once at winter camp in the boy scouts. I got an inner tube for going down the tube/sledding runs at the camp. It was terrible, and I ditched it for the better ones.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
As a kid, I won that Hook-a-Duck game every year at that rigged fair. And every time I chose the inflatable hammer to hit people with.

Those were the days.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
I won second prize for some record release thing one of the bands I like was doing. First prize was hanging out with the band in NYC. Second prize was copies of their new album (that I actually already had) on both CD and vinyl, a few shorts, a flag, and a bunch of other swag.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Won my divorce. Got the house, got the kid, and she immediately moved out of state with her internet boyfriend and was remarried in a month.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

In early 2000s there was a cereal promotion from "Eet & Ern" where I don't think you even needed to buy anything but could enter on their website and it seemed like they were picking winners every few seconds. I gave it a try and was immediately informed I had won a sealed copy of PaRappa the Rapper 2. I'm not sure how that contest worked but I got the game in the mail fast so ok.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I won a copy of Ape Escape and a PS1 controller from that one Toonami contest where you had to phone in at a specific time.
Next best thing I can think of value wise is getting $100 from a $3 scratch off ticket.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

There was a thread on MacGamer where someone was giving away Deus Ex and I think I won as I was the only entrant (the Mac gaming scene was booming). I didn't know a thing about the game and went in cold and it was a great time.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
One time at a cake walk sponsered by my school I landed on the "DOUBLE CAKE" space and won two cakes. There I was, at a catholic school fundraising carnival walking around with two huge cakes someone bought at the Safeway.

It sucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
I love to gamble on horse races. I've won a few hundred on 10 dollar bets a couple times.

A couple months ago I had a Pick 6 where I picked the winners of 6 races in a row. I got the first 5 right. I missed the 6th and an 88,000 dollar payout on a 40 dollar bet. Story of my fuckin life.