Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

I owe my brother in law a big present this year. He's a kayakers and canoer, and I think he already has shells he likes. I was thinking of good accessories. Upgraded seats, paddles, pdfs, etc. They have a van they load the kayaks or canoes on top of when they go camping. He's also a budding fisherman, but I think he just likes playing with the reels and lures if I'm being honest.

Any gift ideas for me to give him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Watershed drybag, one of the smaller ones. Makes a great day bag and are the best drybags out there.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Can you guys posts more pics please? I just bought a small 3m sit in touring kayak for myself, but it’s in the mail...

I live 10mins from the bay, so I really need some paddle imagery to help soothe me during this difficult time.

Thank you

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

toggle posted:

Can you guys posts more pics please? I just bought a small 3m sit in touring kayak for myself, but it’s in the mail...

I live 10mins from the bay, so I really need some paddle imagery to help soothe me during this difficult time.

Thank you

I miss summer :(

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009
Here's some northern Ontario content:

And one from a while back in northern Manitoba:

Can't wait until winter's over.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
[redacted]

WerrWaaa fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Dec 7, 2020

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Thanks for these.. so good. Do you guys have an issue with those lakes blowing up and getting really choppy?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I only go out when it's warm and calm, I'm just into this hobby to chill on the water and maybe catch a few fish

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

Anyone have a lead on a good starting paddle board? I want to get one for my spouse. Long, wide, high weight capacity. Rigid, not inflatable. My budget is $600 or less, then PFD and paddle on top of that. I know nothing about these things other than what I see in the REI intro videos. Newb guide links also very welcomed. Anyone who wants to spot the DFW Craigslist or Marketplace ads and scoop a sweet deal would be a forever friend.

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009

toggle posted:

Thanks for these.. so good. Do you guys have an issue with those lakes blowing up and getting really choppy?

I've canoed on some really big lakes, keep an eye on the weather conditions, particularly behind your canoe/kayak, and generally try to stay within a kilometre of shore. If you need to cross, go directly on the shortest route. Always wear your PFD. Make sure you have accurate navigation charts at hand (and a compass) and if possible chat a little bit with someone experienced with the body of water about what conditions are likely to be experienced.

If in doubt, don't go out. If you're out and things are shifting in the wrong direction, head close to shore immediately. Always have an idea of the fastest way to get off of the water, and any hazards like cliffs or bluffs that will prevent it. Also keep your eye out for islands, points, or peninsulas that may be blocking significant wind. It's often helpful paddle in the lee when you can, but things can shift very quickly when you go around a point in ways you may not expect.

If a strong wind does catch you out on the water, it's better to head directly into or away from the waves rather than on an angle where the boat can roll. This is also where it's important to have your bailer at hand. The canoeist at stern can help keep the bow pointed the right direction while bailing. It's good to practice your braces too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw-44B-FmE0

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

WerrWaaa posted:

Anyone have a lead on a good starting paddle board? I want to get one for my spouse. Long, wide, high weight capacity. Rigid, not inflatable. My budget is $600 or less, then PFD and paddle on top of that. I know nothing about these things other than what I see in the REI intro videos. Newb guide links also very welcomed. Anyone who wants to spot the DFW Craigslist or Marketplace ads and scoop a sweet deal would be a forever friend.

What is your opposition to inflatable?

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

Purely aesthetics, but the more I browse the more I'm coming around. On that note, a great local bike store has full Retrospec isup kits for $299 and I'm heavily considering getting two of them so we can both try it out.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I don’t have experience paddling a rigid board, but my neighbor’s fiberglass Tower board punctures and gouges really easily if you hit rocks and stuff whereas my wife’s inflatable NRS Baron is extremely tough. Drop-stitched inflatables are extremely hard at 15 psi and the hypalon and pvc they’re made from is some really tough poo poo. I use it like a bulldozer getting around brushy poo poo and snags when I fish bass in the spring and the only marks on it are in the foam standing pad from my dogs claws.

The NRS Baron 4 is a great beginner board. It’s stable, packs down pretty small, and it should come with a bag, pump, repair kit, and two sets of skegs. NRS always has some boards on clearance from last year on their website. I like the Advanced Elements two piece paddle, which is a low budget item. The NRS budget paddle is pretty good too. Just make sure you get an adjustable 2-piece.

I think Hala and Tower inflatables are supposed to be pretty good too, but I have no experience with them.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

That's really helpful, thank you!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Sure thing. Another thing to consider: generally speaking, longer boards are easier to learn on because they track straighter. Wider boards are more stable, but a short fat board is more of a headache than a long skinny one.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
After decades of living in the North San Diego county area, I found out that one of the lagoons allows kayaks and canoes.

So now I really want to find a good used lightweight canoe just to go out there. :-)

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Welp. Got the brooklyn boats in a week before Christmas and took the kids out on them today. Was awesome. Going out again tomorrow with rods searching for crappie!

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Sorry for double post. Not sure exactly where to ask this. I'm trying to decide between 60 inch and 70 inch bars for the roof of my expedition for yak hauling. I'm leaning towards the 70s because 10 inches but willing to listen to input. Anyone got an opinion?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

What car?

You’ll knock the absolute piss out of your head right around the hairline a few times before you learn where they are
(maybe not on a car that tall), but wider ones are nice for if you ever need to haul stuff other than the boats. Also allows for boat+box and other rail attachments. My wife keeps tennis balls on the end of hers, also makes it much easier to find in parking lots.

If they’re Yakima, there’s a boat loading helper called the sand dollar (I think) that telescopes out the end of one of the rails. It’s got a little sand dollar shaped thing on the end. It’s handy.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Employer is moving the corporate apartment I currently stay at during the week, to a place that is on the water and has paddle boards and kayaks.

Fuckin-A

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

VideoGameVet posted:

Employer is moving the corporate apartment I currently stay at during the week, to a place that is on the water and has paddle boards and kayaks.

Fuckin-A

uh what's your job

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

PokeJoe posted:

uh what's your job

I run the video game division of a diversified company. How I got that job (last August) is a miracle because in the video game industry I am well past my expiration date. Heck in 2007 I had an offer to do something similar in Seattle and they withdrew the offer after telling me to find a place to live (from what I know age related), and I was only 50 years old back then.

"No consoles for old men."

I was a VP of Tech for a major video game company in the early 1990's, did educational games after that and then mobile games for over a decade (co-founded a few mobile game companies).

How long have I been in the business? My first published game shipped on cassette tape.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
2020 was the year I bought a kayak and became a "lake guy". I went out on the water 10-15 times, each time was a blast. Can't wait for the snow to melt!! I bought it in July last year, so the season was somewhat shortened, but this year I won't be able to wait very long after temps come back up :D

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Thats what is great about Texas. I'm planning on hitting the water first thing in the morning

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker
Finally made it out to a river yesterday for some kayaking. It was a really nice day, and it was really pretty seeing all of the trees and such without any leaves; we could see much further into to woods on both sides.

Plus, this was a great opportunity for me to play around with my GoPro!

https://i.imgur.com/T79LoTV.gifv
https://i.imgur.com/M8DucWN.gifv
https://i.imgur.com/kTWcUxy.gifv

pseudorandom fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 3, 2021

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I've had my kayak for a month now and it's great. So much freedom. The weather has been putrid the last couple of weeks though. Yesterday I did find a window where I could get out with a good tide and no wind, but as you can see, it didn't last long.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Beauty. We got 20cm of snow over the weekend and we're looking at another 15-20cm tomorrow. Feels like I'll never be on the water again.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

On the bright side, I’m pretty sure my kayak glides well over snow. I just need shorter paddles :)

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Martytoof posted:

On the bright side, I’m pretty sure my kayak glides well over snow. I just need shorter paddles :)

My friend had a lot of fun taking his kayak down the snowed over the very tall steps of a park in my city until he got to the very bottom, tried to stop against a wall and broke nine bones in his leg and foot. We then dutifully dog-sledded him to the ER. Kayaks are great on the snow.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I have a mental image of someone bungee'd to the top with gear straps, heading into the ambulance bay....

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
Usually I'm able to be pretty patient during the winter, but this is my first winter waiting for kayak season to start back up, and it's a lot harder than usual.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Don't know where you are but cold weather kayaking is pretty fun with the right gear and can be especially pretty in the winter

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Plus if you drown, better odds of resuscitation!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I don't go outside on purpose when it's below 7C

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Don't know where you are but cold weather kayaking is pretty fun with the right gear and can be especially pretty in the winter

I'm in Quebec, pretty much everything is frozen here. With my 10ft kayak I'm not too keen to go on the St-Lawrence...

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I've got a narrow section of river near me where the current is fast enough to have worn a pretty sizable hole in the ice. I'll have to drag my canoe out there and paddle against the current like a water treadmill (of death) :black101:

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Where I’m at in Australia the temp never gets below 25 degrees celsius so I can’t imagine what it would be like to be out on the water in that freezing temperature.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I bought a Nucanoe Frontier 12 last week. Can't fuckin wait to get it out on the water this weekend. Hopefully the weather cooperates here in Chicagoland. Now to figure out if I want to get the pedal drive, electric trolling motor, gas outboard or just paddle it. Slowly outfitting it with everything necessary to take it out on Lake Michigan once I am comfortable on it. Gonna catch hella smallmouth in the harbors and off the breakwalls hopefully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I personally think paddling is where it's at. I do not enjoy just sitting on a boat and it kills the experience of being out on the water for me. I might be able to fish "more spots" but if I'm not lucky, I at least get to enjoy the feel of my paddle in the water.
I also find I fish better when paddling. I pick up on interesting structure a lot easier at that speed, and definitely cast at a lot more stuff since I don't need to worry about killing (and restarting) a motor. That might explain my success alone, but I'm starting to believe rolling up silent gives you better results too.

All that said.. it's a personal thing and if you're on big water that might change things pretty substantially for you.