Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Declan MacManus posted:

pretty much, it’s a bunch of collegehumor people who i think mostly have ucb training

most of the other successful dnd things i can think of follow the same model of people who have a proven track record of being funny or being able to improv or are at least comfortable on camera or otherwise performing in some way. anything else would be a huge drag imo (and a lot of times it ends up being a huge drag in spite of having all those baked in advantages)

went on a road trip a few years ago and tried to get a friend of mine to listen to comedy bang bang but he wasn't into it, but then on the trip back he was like, oh another of my friends got me into this and put on hello from the magic tavern and i was like, this is literally just less funny comedy bang bang with worse actors i hate it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Serf posted:

jack torrance's history of alcoholism. this was a biographical element for king, so it was very important to him that it be included. there is little reference to jack's addiction to alcohol, not nearly as much exploration of the topic as was done in the book. this is why in doctor sleep we see danny's struggle with alcohol and we get an extremely overwrought speech from jack's ghost later in the movie about how alcohol is his medicine.

I can kinda see the other points of this post (i disagree with king about thier importance but i definitely can understand them) but this makes no sense. jack literally relapses on screen and its very clear that part of his insanity before was him going thru withdrawal. like what

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Frog Act posted:

doctor sleep sucked, my GF and i watched the Shining recently, since I had never seen it, and followed it up with doctor sleep, which was just embarrassing. the travelling clan of psychic monsters that were described as "gypsies" when they were in europe? the incredibly boring version of the original kid who monopolized the first half of the movie doing completely unrelated-to-the-story things to get sober? like, it felt totally unrelated to the shining, except for the end when they shoehorned in the overlook in a way that totally ignored the actually interesting part of the setting, the time-warping hotel that drives people mad and sucks them into it's atemporal hell party

stephen king's modern stuff seems to mostly suck rear end, it's just him ruminating on "what if psychic? :thunk:". mr mercedes sucked too, the first season was good but then it completely went off the rails

Not sure what you're quoting me for

Serf
May 5, 2011

mandatory lesbian posted:

I can kinda see the other points of this post (i disagree with king about thier importance but i definitely can understand them) but this makes no sense. jack literally relapses on screen and its very clear that part of his insanity before was him going thru withdrawal. like what

i disagree. before that scene in the gold room alcohol isn't even a thing that comes up. kubrick clearly didn't care very much about it, and, much like jack's history of domestic abuse, only references it in one scene of the movie (to be fair, the abuse does get sorta halfway referenced in the scene where wendy accuses jack of hurting danny after he goes into room 237, but you could easily chalk that up to her making the only logical leap possible). up until the gold room scene jack reads as nothing more than a struggling writer with a clear anger problem, and even after it we only ever see him drinking twice

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

How many scenes of Jack explaining that he hurt Danny do we really need?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Alhazred posted:

How many scenes of Jack explaining that he hurt Danny do we really need?

after the initial screening of the movie kubrick chopped a lot of stuff out for the later showings, including a scene where wendy takes danny to the doctor and they allude to the fact that jack broke his arm

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 9 days!)

Critical Role is a soap opera told through the medium of a dnd game just like wrestling is a soap opera told through the medium of a fake sport.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

https://twitter.com/DouthatNYT/status/1333221795034525698

lovin that ratio

for the sake of reference last jedi has a rating to review ratio of around five hundred

The Croods movie that's in theaters right now how more verified audience reviews

Frog Act posted:

doctor sleep sucked, my GF and i watched the Shining recently, since I had never seen it, and followed it up with doctor sleep, which was just embarrassing. the travelling clan of psychic monsters that were described as "gypsies" when they were in europe? the incredibly boring version of the original kid who monopolized the first half of the movie doing completely unrelated-to-the-story things to get sober? like, it felt totally unrelated to the shining, except for the end when they shoehorned in the overlook in a way that totally ignored the actually interesting part of the setting, the time-warping hotel that drives people mad and sucks them into it's atemporal hell party

stephen king's modern stuff seems to mostly suck rear end, it's just him ruminating on "what if psychic? :thunk:". mr mercedes sucked too, the first season was good but then it completely went off the rails

the Outsider series on HBO was pretty decent. It shifts genres twice, but was pretty interesting throughout. The first few episodes before it becomes focused solely on the supernatural were probably the best though

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
started watching Mosul (2020, do not watch 2019 Mosul) and it's grim as gently caress, absolutely incredible opening scene. bunch of Iraqi SWAT rolling around fighting ISIS in the midst of a warzone, and the action is just gnarly and radical. definitely my surprise hit of the year

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Atrocious Joe posted:

The Croods movie that's in theaters right now how more verified audience reviews

the Outsider series on HBO was pretty decent. It shifts genres twice, but was pretty interesting throughout. The first few episodes before it becomes focused solely on the supernatural were probably the best though

i started watching that and while the first episode was intriguing it didnt pull me in. ill give it another shot

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

I am getting close to finishing up a run through of voyager and season 6 has some good poo poo in it, I just finished the episode Memorial s06e14 and Tsunkatse s06e15

Memorial is the second time that Voyager places members of the crew mysteriously into a situation that is a purposefully blatant vietnam war analogue.

the boys are feeling fine coming back home with a cargo hold full of deuterium ore

after getting back to voyager, one by one they all have flashbacks to a Mai lai massacre style incident wherein they are the perpetrators

this fucks them all up and they all have mega rage bouts fueled by guilt and grief and it gets loving dark as hell with Neelix flipping the gently caress out and hunkering down with Naomi behind the counter of the mess hall holding everyone at bay with a phaser

so we are all thinking, drat, did these fuckers get brain slugged and get forced to war crime like Chakotay did that time before?

THEN Janeway starts to have the same flashbacks! Then everyone is doing it! Everyone is dead loving certain that they have been the perpetrators of a massacre that we know they could not have committed.

So they back track along the route that the boys took on their mining expedition and they find the planet

the only evidence they can find of the massacre is 300 years old and then they stumble upon a monument

they find that this thing has been loving with their brains to make them feel the reality of perpetrating a massacre so that it would educate them into never perpetrating a massacre because of how much it sucks

So the show ends with the question, "should the memorial be destroyed?" The answer? No, let people PTSD themselves into pacifists but put up a warning buoy

Tsunkatse of course, is the non-consensual MMA episode built on the strength of its guests stars

The Rock

Martok

Jeffrey Combs

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

ehhh memorial sounds like strong ninety lib brain thinking that you can get people to not do war massacres if you frame it in the most selfish possible terms

never minding the fact that commanders not soldiers are the ones actually responsible for war massacres and are also not coincidentally the ones least likely to lose sleep over them

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
thinking about that dumbass black mirror episode where they rope the military into doing full on pogroms but they give them augmented reality contacts so all their victims looks like ghouls to them or something

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Dr. Killjoy posted:

thinking about that dumbass black mirror episode where they rope the military into doing full on pogroms but they give them augmented reality contacts so all their victims looks like ghouls to them or something

by far the best part of that episode was the final scene where the soldier goes home to a desolate ruined home but his augmented brain tells him it's picturesque picket fence suburbia with a beautiful wife waiting for him

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Some Guy TT posted:

ehhh memorial sounds like strong ninety lib brain thinking that you can get people to not do war massacres if you frame it in the most selfish possible terms

never minding the fact that commanders not soldiers are the ones actually responsible for war massacres and are also not coincidentally the ones least likely to lose sleep over them

voyager really picks up the succ ball dropped by TNG and runs with it for sure

I left out the best part which is neelix arguing that they shouldn't disable the memorial because someone worked really hard to make it

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

despite being the origin story of my guy mike milligan, this season of fargo was pretty weak. i know it’s partly on the pandemic but drat, they were just running on fumes by the end

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

double negative posted:

despite being the origin story of my guy mike milligan, this season of fargo was pretty weak. i know it’s partly on the pandemic but drat, they were just running on fumes by the end

Apparently the ending they originally shot had a bunch of Mike Milligan scenes that were cut in the final version. It felt like this season had too many characters and introduced too many subplots. It's weird that this was supposed to be his backstory but he ended up with 1 episode about him, and then a bunch of B and C plots revolving around him.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Taintrunner posted:

started watching Mosul (2020, do not watch 2019 Mosul) and it's grim as gently caress, absolutely incredible opening scene. bunch of Iraqi SWAT rolling around fighting ISIS in the midst of a warzone, and the action is just gnarly and radical. definitely my surprise hit of the year

it's really good. really demonstrates the brutality of fighting isis specifically and generally being on the offense in any urban environment

perfect ending too

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
i finally watched the star trek black mirror episode and most of it feels like they wanted to pay tribute to harlan ellison and star trek at the same time.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Dr. Killjoy posted:

i liked the miley cyrus episode

the head like a hole payoff at the end was :discourse:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
What the gently caress did wong kar-wai just do

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 245 days!

mastershakeman posted:

What the gently caress did wong kar-wai just do

people are asking questions. who is wong kar-wai? why does mastershakeman believe that they may have done something?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

so ellen page is elliot page now news i find kind of odd since im assumed to associating him with aggressively girly and heterosexual roles but whatever good for him

im posting about this mainly to call attention to the absurdity of wikipedias policy that male specific pronouns need to be backdated but no one seems to be putting the slightest amount of effort into replacing his pictures with ones even vaguely resembling his actual gender identity

imdb seems to have the much better one of using a gender neutral pronoun that looks much less weird when describing his playing obviously female characters and forcing you to dig deep for the girly pictures instead of using them prominently

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
that's almost certainly the result of the specific personalities running wikipedia, or even the specific person lording over that person's page

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

wikipedia got worried they'd be sued by gettyimages at some point so now photos are pretty much the hardest thing to add or change because you have to write a little essay about copyright for each one

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

I agree that the communities on these platforms could be doing a better job

I think though, that Elliot could use his time between roles to update the public information about himself if so inclined

just a square 8 hour day posting on his part could really clear things up

you've got the time and money bro, go for it!

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Some more TTRPG chat, I prefer One Shot over Critical Roll cause I enjoy them playing a bunch of different systems instead of just D&D.

Also the Alpha rules set for the newest edition of Twilight 2000 came out for kickstarter backers, ( a quick primer for those who might not have heard of it, it's an 80s post apocalypse game with realistic trappings in a what if World War 3 happened and the players are usually US soliders stranded in Poland after the Soviets destroy their division.) And I'm seeing a bunch of Gen Xers who are really upset that in this new timeline where the August coup prevented the collapse of the Soviet Union to them they atm unrealistically competent a military threat and their mad that it's the US that uses tactical nukes first. Personally I thunk it's just a bunch of chuds mad that Communism isn't some cartoon evil abd that the US did a bad thing first.

Personally I think the most unrealistic thing in their new timeline is having police in the US join in on antiwar protests

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

KomradeX posted:

Some more TTRPG chat, I prefer One Shot over Critical Roll cause I enjoy them playing a bunch of different systems instead of just D&D.

Also the Alpha rules set for the newest edition of Twilight 2000 came out for kickstarter backers, ( a quick primer for those who might not have heard of it, it's an 80s post apocalypse game with realistic trappings in a what if World War 3 happened and the players are usually US soliders stranded in Poland after the Soviets destroy their division.) And I'm seeing a bunch of Gen Xers who are really upset that in this new timeline where the August coup prevented the collapse of the Soviet Union to them they atm unrealistically competent a military threat and their mad that it's the US that uses tactical nukes first. Personally I thunk it's just a bunch of chuds mad that Communism isn't some cartoon evil abd that the US did a bad thing first.

Personally I think the most unrealistic thing in their new timeline is having police in the US join in on antiwar protests

okay I am fuckin' sold is there a way I can still hop on this particular bandwagon

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

KomradeX posted:

It's hard to associate t2000 really with the setting in particular rather than gdw's extremely groggy way of doing rules. I mean, i respect somebody giving it a go in a modern system but part of the appeal of the GDW games is how hefty they are in what they're trying to do. The setting is almost secondary- an excuse to be able to play an RPG with the toys and systems they want to have.

But then i kinda see GDW's rpgs as a weird anomaly.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Hodgepodge posted:

people are asking questions. who is wong kar-wai? why does mastershakeman believe that they may have done something?

https://twitter.com/Nick_Newman/status/1333805557040386050

https://twitter.com/steph_turkey/status/1333899326746210315

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

KomradeX posted:

This is tangential to what you were talking about, but it's worth noting that even in their own wargames, NATO was often the side that used nuclear weapons first. For example, in the most famous one, Able Archer 83, the basis of the exercise was to simulate NATO escalating from conventional to tactical to strategic nuclear weapons in response to a non-nuclear Soviet offensive:

quote:

The exercise scenario began with Orange (the hypothetical opponent) opening hostilities in all regions of ACE on 4 November (three days before the start of the exercise) and Blue (NATO) declaring a general alert. Orange initiated the use of chemical weapons on 6 November and by the end of that day had used such weapons throughout ACE. All of these events had taken place prior to the start of the exercise and were thus simply part of the written scenario. There had thus been three days of fighting and a deteriorating situation prior to the start of the exercise. This was desired because - as previously stated the purpose of the exercise was to test procedures for transitioning from conventional to nuclear operations. As a result of Orange advances, its persistent use of chemical weapons, and its clear intentions to rapidly commit second echelon forces, SACEUR requested political guidance on the use of nuclear weapons early on Day 1 of the exercise (7 November 1983).

By the evening of 7 November the situation of the Blue forces had deteriorated further, particularly in the northern region, and increased Orange use of chemical weapons had been reported. On the morning of 8 November SACEUR requested initial use of nuclear weapons against fixed targets in Orange satellite countries. SACEUR's request was agreed late on 8 November and the weapons were fired/delivered on the morning of 9 November.

Blue's use of nuclear weapons did not stop Orange's aggression. Therefore, SACEUR requested follow-on use of nuclear weapons late on 9 November. This request was approved in the afternoon of I 0 November and follow-on use of nuclear weapons was executed on the morning of 11 November. That was the final day of the exercise, which ended in accordance with the long-planned schedule, not early as has sometimes been alleged. An after action report noted that because the exercise scenario began at a low crisis level, there was actually less nuclear play than in previous years.

https://nsarchive2.gwu.edu//NSAEBB/NSAEBB427/docs/6.a.%20Exercise%20Able%20Archer%20SHAPE%20March%202013%20NATO.pdf

Just for anyone who was curious reading that post.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

okay I am fuckin' sold is there a way I can still hop on this particular bandwagon

I think you can make a late pledge on pledgemanager

https://fria-ligan.pledgemanager.com/projects/twilight-2000/participate/

Panzeh posted:

It's hard to associate t2000 really with the setting in particular rather than gdw's extremely groggy way of doing rules.  I mean, i respect somebody giving it a go in a modern system but part of the appeal of the GDW games is how hefty they are in what they're trying to do.  The setting is almost secondary- an excuse to be able to play an RPG with the toys and systems they want to have.

But then i kinda see GDW's rpgs as a weird anomaly.

Yeah it seems to be a lot of Grognards mostly mad at the story, it's from Free League so their using they'r system that powers Tales from the Loop and Alien on it adapted to be a bit more crunchy but still rules light enough to make it accessible to modern players. I misses out on all the GDW games having been born in the late 80s, and didn't get into Ttrpgs till college where I was drawn to the game cause I liked the setting idea, but aster picking up a copy of the 2nd edition, or 2.1 on drivethrurpg I saw this was far too much for me to run, let alone my players to hold internet. So I'm glad it's muvh more accessible and will hopefully bring in new players to off set some of these reactionary Gen Xers would be nice.

vyelkin posted:

This is tangential to what you were talking about, but it's worth noting that even in their own wargames, NATO was often the side that used nuclear weapons first. For example, in the most famous one, Able Archer 83, the basis of the exercise was to simulate NATO escalating from conventional to tactical to strategic nuclear weapons in response to a non-nuclear Soviet offensive:

Just for anyone who was curious reading that post.

Wow they didn't even wait a single day to start asking to use nukes, really makes all these veteran fans saying that it's unrealistic (and different because in the first edition the Soviets use them first when NATO crosses still Communist Poland (cause this was '84) and invades Belarus)

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

KomradeX posted:

Wow they didn't even wait a single day to start asking to use nukes, really makes all these veteran fans saying that it's unrealistic (and different because in the first edition the Soviets use them first when NATO crosses still Communist Poland (cause this was '84) and invades Belarus)

I mean it's worth noting that they go straight to nukes on day one mostly because it was an exercise to simulate using nuclear weapons, so it makes sense to get straight into the thing you're actually practicing. What I find most revealing is that even in their own made-up backstory to justify their simulated use of nuclear weapons, they didn't bother writing in the Soviets nuking them first. In their own best-laid plans of how the war would play out, they go straight to tactical nuclear first strikes three days into the war, it doesn't work, and so they go "gently caress it" and nuke Moscow the next day.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

i can’t deal with this man, all this poo poo is so dumb, bong was prob already the biggest korean director internationally before parasite and there is really barely any violence and sexualization

https://twitter.com/virtuaidoii/status/1334177923188858884?s=21

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
holy poo poo that’s impressively broke-brained

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

bong, please think about how your movies will impact east asian americans and perceptions of them in the usa before making them thank you

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020
remember the meltdowns over bong saying 'watch it with subtitles or dont watch it at all' re: parasite

the number of americans who are terrified of subtitles is wild

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
signed up for a month of HBOmax and am rewatching the Sopranos for the first time in years. i think it's making me go prodromal. i can't stop singing the theme song and over time the lyrics have begun to mutate and devolve.

woke up this morning, got some poo poo in my eye, poo poo in my eye. i can't stop.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

the roku remote broke down and so instead of using my pirate app to watch whatever i want i had to use netflix like an animal. anyways i ended up trying out cobra kai and i just cant get over what an insufferable dweeb daniel is. im not sure if im supposed to like him or not but drat do i hate that lovely little cop loving, petite bourgeois, succlib fucker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

i can’t deal with this man, all this poo poo is so dumb, bong was prob already the biggest korean director internationally before parasite and there is really barely any violence and sexualization

https://twitter.com/virtuaidoii/status/1334177923188858884?s=21

holy poo poo lmao

apparently she took it down and is actually apologizing to the commenters for being dumb. looks like someone did a growth