Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
2020 giveth and 2020 taketh away.

gently caress those guys if those racist tweets are true though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I’m sure no one in this thread posted anything racist on the internet when they were a teenager.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Mister Chief posted:

I’m sure no one in this thread posted anything racist on the internet when they were a teenager.

Don't know about you, but I managed to avoid saying I wanted to run over black people with my car when I was 18. I've said, and continue to say dumb poo poo all the time but never to that extent.

Even if some did there's a bit of a difference between being an ignorant dumbass that doesn't know something is a racist phrase or whatever, and throwing out the equivalent of the N word.

Vaders Jester fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Dec 1, 2020

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Mister Chief posted:

By the time I was 19 I knew that poo poo was stupid and to not post it. Did I post some stupid stuff that makes me cringe now? Yeah absolutely. But come one man. You're defending someone posting that all black people should be killed. Is this really the hill you want to die on?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

What?

No one linked anything in this thread. I googled afterwards and saw the original tweets and was told they were racist but the same article said they didn’t know the actual contents as they had no official translator.

I’ve seen there were bans issued but still have no idea what was actually said by the players.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Mister Chief posted:

What?

No one linked anything in this thread. I googled afterwards and saw the original tweets and was told they were racist but the same article said they didn’t know the actual contents as they had no official translator.

I’ve seen there were bans issued but still have no idea what was actually said by the players.

Yeah just imagine being dumb enough to fire off a message in defence of some guy despite not know what he did? The follies of youth.

Here are some excerpts for you

quote:

"SOUTH AFRICA baby! I'm finally leaving this country full of blacks ouch."

quote:

"Today is a good day to get in the car and drive over blacks."

Not saying he should be in jail or anything, but maybe shouldn't be captain of his national Rugby team.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Even if we accept he meant black as in poor people, yikes

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

Even if we accept he meant black as in poor people, yikes

That's what I heard as a justification, as if rampant classism and snobbery was okay.

Apparently all of this kicked off because the team didn't pay proper respect to Maradona, so a bunch of people went back through people's entire twitter history.

More evidence that twitter is poison.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

Plucky Brit posted:

That's what I heard as a justification, as if rampant classism and snobbery was okay.

Apparently all of this kicked off because the team didn't pay proper respect to Maradona, so a bunch of people went back through people's entire twitter history.

More evidence that twitter is poison.

I mean I don't have a problem with holding people to account for saying racist poo poo, especially in public. But man what a petty reason to dig through someone's Twitter history.

Also lol at blaming Twitter for them saying stupid poo poo. Cuz really paper is responsible for The Turner Diaries. Come on dude.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

drunk leprechaun posted:

I mean I don't have a problem with holding people to account for saying racist poo poo, especially in public. But man what a petty reason to dig through someone's Twitter history.

Also lol at blaming Twitter for them saying stupid poo poo. Cuz really paper is responsible for The Turner Diaries. Come on dude.

I phrased that poorly. I don't blame twitter for what he said, I just hate the website. In any case it's not that relevant.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

Plucky Brit posted:

I phrased that poorly. I don't blame twitter for what he said, I just hate the website. In any case it's not that relevant.

Fair. I agree Twitter is a mess. Still responsible for what you out up on that poo poo site though.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
It's ok to hope he has changed and not want to punish him for something 10 years ago...if he is apologetic and has reformed. Because his apology is reactive to being caught, and not proactive (why would the tweets still be up, why hasn't he acknowledged it before, etc etc) it's probably right to assume that, at best, he doesn't realize how harmful his racism was, or at worst, he still holds those racist views. So he should be stood down while they investigate

It's a shame because I really liked his play. Maybe if he recants. I'm able to compartmentalize in other categories somehow like comedy or wrestling that these are mostly terrible people, maybe it's just the whiplash from the New Zealand win to this in the span of a few aedks

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys
Apparently he's now said he's never playing for Argentina again after they didn't support him, and blaming the "thought police" for infringing on his free speech. So I suspect he wasn't really sorry about what he said after all.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
Man going from toast of the rugby world to unrepentant racist in two weeks. Life comes at you fast.

drunk leprechaun fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Dec 3, 2020

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Well the UAR has already backed down and removed the suspensions for Matera and co

Apparently the players were protesting, didn't practice yesterday or today, and were considering boycotting the game. Or at least enough of them were that Argentina rugby had to back down.

What a poo poo show.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

When do Argentina next play South Africa?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Cool, UAR must stand for "Unrepentant Arsecunt Racists." Good to know.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
Wow, never thought I'd be rooting for Australia to win a rugby game.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

All the Autumn Nations Cup games are starting with a mins silence in support of Rugby Against Racism. This is why they need to do that kind of thing still.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

sleep with the vicious posted:

Well the UAR has already backed down and removed the suspensions for Matera and co

Apparently the players were protesting, didn't practice yesterday or today, and were considering boycotting the game. Or at least enough of them were that Argentina rugby had to back down.

What a poo poo show.

loving cowards.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Just watched Chasing the Sun. That's a hell of an emotional rollercoaster, especially in episode 5. Top documentary and well worth a watch if you can. That and Oceans Apart have been excellent this year.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
I need to figure out. How to watch Chasing the Sun in the US. Haven't found any good source yet alas.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Jesus Christ the card system is broken

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

drunk leprechaun posted:

I need to figure out. How to watch Chasing the Sun in the US. Haven't found any good source yet alas.

A guy posted up some :filez: on this forum that were really good.

https://www.therugbyforum.com/threads/chasing-the-sun-springbok-documentary.47322/

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

fiji georgia been entertaining so far. bit wet now like.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Good game so far, don't envy the players though, it's freezing here as well as pissing it down.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

McInally out for the Scotland game as he's headed home for the birth of his first child, George Turner comes in on the bench as a replacement.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Jaco van der Walt has some boot on him.

Ireland still look shaky but at least Scotland seem up for it.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Far too many penalties and mistakes. Scotland going full Scotland as ever against a pretty middling Irish side. Jaco looked good in his debut and was playing really well in the first half but poor discipline let Ireland get confidence and momentum too often.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Did he ground that?

e- Yes, he did, ok.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The Welsh lineout is hosed.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Stood up for him beautifully.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

goatface posted:

The Welsh lineout is hosed.

Which is no different from any other part of their game.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

That's a soft try to give away, good of Italy to see the space though.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

bessantj posted:

Which is no different from any other part of their game.

It's a noteworthy level of hosed even among the rest of it.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

It's a small comfort that at least it's not just Scotland playing like poo poo for a change.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

This has 2007 written all over it.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

forza italia!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He just bounced off him. Top work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Isn't LRZ meant to be really fast? Got absolutely done by a forward.