Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Parts of Community are so much harder to watch when you know Harmon was taking out his sexual hang-ups on the character of Britta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

hawowanlawow posted:

it's funny in a sad way because Harmon got fired for creeping on a coworker

It's a lot more complicated than that. He wasn't just creeping on her, he was completely in love with her, broke up with his gf at the time so he wouldn't be "cheating" and when she, his employee, turned down him, her boss, he decided to treat her like absolute poo poo and almost drive her out of the industry.

One big podcast length apology later despite facing no actual consequences suddenly he's 100% hireable and in everyone's good graces and now doing the exact same poo poo with Rick and Morty and being praised as a nerd god.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

pentyne posted:

It's a lot more complicated than that. He wasn't just creeping on her, he was completely in love with her, broke up with his gf at the time so he wouldn't be "cheating" and when she, his employee, turned down him, her boss, he decided to treat her like absolute poo poo and almost drive her out of the industry.

One big podcast length apology later despite facing no actual consequences suddenly he's 100% hireable and in everyone's good graces and now doing the exact same poo poo with Rick and Morty and being praised as a nerd god.

I think he gets leeway on Rick and Morty because he seems normal and harmless compared to the other bloke.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
justin roiland is a manic weirdo but it seems that all of the mawkish sad suicidal rick stuff is harmon's contribution, as is all of the im-so-clever writer injoke stuff. like if rick references what act of the narrative the show is currently in, that is harmon

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

luxury handset posted:

justin roiland is a manic weirdo but it seems that all of the mawkish sad suicidal rick stuff is harmon's contribution, as is all of the im-so-clever writer injoke stuff. like if rick references what act of the narrative the show is currently in, that is harmon

that's what I was thinking, but unfortunately roilands newer show isn't even a little bit funny

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Rick and Morty is not going to age well.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Josef bugman posted:

Hell it barely made it two seasons before going to poo poo

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Part of me wants to blame fans more than anything in Rick and Morty's case.
I mean, it got latched onto and hard by the same idiots who jerk off to Tyler Durden and post long-winded atheist screeds about being euphoric.

Don't get me wrong, R&M is far from blameless, especially since they continue to cater to those same idiots no matter how many "Rick is miserable and hates himself and should not be idolized ;)" episodes they try to put up as a smokescreen, but I don't think they're carrying the lion's share of the blame.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
people latch on because the show has a godlike antihero who is celebrated for being a righteous rear end in a top hat who also happens to be correct nearly all of the time

the writers may steer away from this depiction of rick in coming seasons as his family moves on and abandons him but the image of strong, cool right flipping entire universes the bird is already set among the worst fans who take the wrong message from the show

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

BrigadierSensible posted:

This may be a bit of a hot take:

But whilst most of them are fine, I find Christopher Guest's later mockumentaries, (A mighty Wind being one of them), to lack the bite and energy of his earlier ones. Also they tend to get a bit samey, and the jokes feel re-done.

This is not to disparage Mr. Guests work. He is very good and mostly very very funny, I just feel he has been remaking the same movie, but changing the subject of it for a little while now.
His earlier stuff is definitely better, with Best In Show and Waiting for Guffman being the highlights. I like A Mighty Wind because it reunites the Spinal Tap guys, and they're pretty talented musicians.

On the other hand, For Your Consideration was incredibly bitter, and while it had some funny parts, and industry in-jokes, it didn't really do anything new. "Fame causes you to sell out, then burn out" isn't a novel or particularly funny idea.

Mascots has an interesting premise and some nice choreography, but is ultimately forgettable. I remember one reviewer saying it felt like a throw-away joke made into a feature length film, and I kinda have to agree.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

luxury handset posted:

people latch on because the show has a godlike antihero who is celebrated for being a righteous rear end in a top hat who also happens to be correct nearly all of the time

It's like a tvtropes post about a show/book they'd like to write that became real.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

I think someone wrote a piece about how S1/2 were almost perfect television because you see the complete destruction and anarchy a self absorbed narcissistic person wrecks on the lives of the people around them and how victims of the abuse (i.e Beth) will cling to any scrap of affection or love in the hope of achieving the mythical "perfect family". The only option is to remove that destructive force from your life for the betterment of your own well-being, which Rick finally choose to do himself rather then let his only family be ruined and wrecked in perpetuity.

Then S3 went all in with the "God-like Rick never wrong" and just squatted and poo poo all over the idea of any consequences or repercussions for rear end in a top hat behavior, everything was a loving goof, let's have the nerd Jesus constantly rant at the audience.

I may have either misunderstood or imagined that, I just recall the first two seasons seem to actually have Rick take some hits and ending with him accepting punishment for what he's done.

Ugh I made myself sick checking if I was right, as the review for the S2 finale loving IGN review contains the line "This show really knows how to hit fans in the feels" loving write it off 500 years of language, wisdom and wit has been taken over by tv tropes lingo.

pentyne has a new favorite as of 18:05 on Dec 1, 2020

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

All true but did you see the pickle rick episode? Swear to god the funniest poo poo I’ve ever seen in my life

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Rick also start solving every confrontation by just being John Wick in season 3.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
People really need to stop taking cartoons so seriously.

Apart from The Transformers, but that's more a religion than a cartoon.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Sunswipe posted:

Apart from The Transformers, but that's more a religion than a cartoon.

Transformers is definitely not afraid to handle serious topics:

(I never get tired of posting that. I mean...it's Optimus Prime... quoting Tony Benn)

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

oldpainless posted:

All true but did you see the pickle rick episode? Swear to god the funniest poo poo I’ve ever seen in my life

Pickle rick is the new Monty Python and the Holy Grail for insufferable nerds.

Change my mind

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

AceOfFlames posted:

Transformers is definitely not afraid to handle serious topics:

(I never get tired of posting that. I mean...it's Optimus Prime... quoting Tony Benn)

Uhhh...he's clearly quoting Megatron, he says so right there.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Violet_Sky posted:

Change my mind

I've seen every episode of R&M and I'm in the same place as most of the above posters that it has a few hits and a lot of misses.

Don't really recall that one except maybe they were doing family therapy and then Rick does a thing to prove he's better than the simple act of reconciliation and bonding?

Also he is a pickle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7qT-C-0ajI

Aged well afaict

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

The Rick and Morty guys are still under contract for sixty more episodes.

Strap yourselves in, we're going to be in it for a while.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Vandar posted:

There's literally no way they'll fulfill that order in the next 50 years.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

luxury handset posted:

It's the Cartman Problem (or House, or Gordon Gecko ((kinda)) problem. They are given the best lines, the funniest things to say, and even when they are proven wrong they are still kinda right by dint of the show being about them. So you can say, don't be like this COOL FUNNY PERSON WHO IS AWLAYS RIGHT but the negatives don't really show up to most people because well they are funny and always right.

I was going to include Dr. Cox on that list too but he is not only wrong but they show the full extend of his rear end in a top hat behavior as destroying his life.

I also said it before too but the fact that Rick is an all powerful scientist too isn't helpful because the writers poo poo on anything that they consider dumb for being some what intelligent in like politics or society or educators ect.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Many people keep saying, and I actually am still inclined to believe that Scrubs is actually closer to real-life hospital career story than what it seems as a comedy show.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Vandar posted:

The joke at the time was Dan Harmon was probably cackling all the way to the liquor store, there's no way in hell they get that show done in less then 10 years.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Der Kyhe posted:

Many people keep saying, and I actually am still inclined to believe that Scrubs is actually closer to real-life hospital career story than what it seems as a comedy show.

Yeah, but most residents don't end up working for the institution they do their residency with, and most for-profit hospitals like Sacred Heart don't serve as teaching hospitals.

(I could well be wrong on both accounts, that's the general impression I've got though)

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

My wife stayed on where she did her residency. But it's veterinary medicine, so like, maybe not 1:1.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

There's literally no way they'll fulfill that order in the next 50 years.

I'd put money on the fact that we will get an entire season of Dimensional Cable at some point.

AceOfFlames has a new favorite as of 20:51 on Dec 1, 2020

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Sunswipe posted:

I'd rather people just stop making Cartoons But, You Know, For Adults b/c most of them are garbage and want to rely on the excuse that 'it's just a cartoon' to get away with it

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Violet_Sky posted:

Change my mind

Monty Python and the Holy Grail was funny the first time.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I’ve heard medical professionals say Scrubs feels truer to life than the medical drama shows.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Jedit posted:

Monty Python and the Holy Grail was funny the first time.

I am genuinely starting to resent Holy Grail. Like, yeah it's funny, but also shut up about it.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Little late but I had to say that

Henchman of Santa posted:

Rocketman was definitely a bad movie but I watched it in the ideal setting: on an airplane

Rocketman was great!

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

DeafNote posted:

Little late but I had to say that

Rocketman was great!

It really was.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I’ve heard medical professionals say Scrubs feels truer to life than the medical drama shows.

Probably because In Scrubs they have to do actual research while in shows like House someone just have to accidentaly say the right Word yhst triggers House's brain.

Jaxts
Apr 29, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

My wife gives Scrubs credit for occasionally remembering pathologists actually exist and for portraying then in a non House way.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Dr. Cox is actually also shown to care about people and gets called out for being an rear end in a top hat regularly. He's also wrong on the show quite a few times.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Push El Burrito posted:

Dr. Cox is actually also shown to care about people and gets called out for being an rear end in a top hat regularly. He's also wrong on the show quite a few times.

Like being a Red Wings fan.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Push El Burrito posted:

It probably helps too that he's not any less hard on himself than he is on other people and the one time he feels like his actions led to the death of a patient he just crumbles immediately.

E: Actually I like that one too because his breakdown is portrayed both sympathetically and as, maybe not a failing exactly, but not the healthy response.

christmas boots has a new favorite as of 22:58 on Dec 1, 2020

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Scrubs did try a female Dr. Cox type surgeon, but it didn’t work as well, mainly because Cox for all his personal failings tries his best to help patients.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MariusLecter posted:

Like being a Red Wings fan.

IIRC that detail is because John C. McGinley works out with Chris Chelios or something.