Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Got a great deal on my place thanks to the previous owners going through a nasty divorce. According to the neighbors all they did was fight and neglect the property until it was time to sell. Whatever contractor they got to redo the front lawn didn’t bother to use any sort of plastic layering so the whole place got overrun.

Neighbor came out to thank me once just for pulling weeds, got the feeling he wasn’t used to even seeing that happen.

When I moved in the mailbox had a label with their married name angrily scratched out with “NO!! ONLY <MAIDEN NAME>“

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Some of the rooms were hastily slathered in white paint, including the molding and every nook and cranny of it. It’s that “I’m doing this because I’m obligated to. gently caress you” style you see in apartments all the time

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Fortaleza posted:

Got a great deal on my place thanks to the previous owners going through a nasty divorce. According to the neighbors all they did was fight and neglect the property until it was time to sell. Whatever contractor they got to redo the front lawn didn’t bother to use any sort of plastic layering so the whole place got overrun.

Neighbor came out to thank me once just for pulling weeds, got the feeling he wasn’t used to even seeing that happen.

yeah kinda same here, the previous owners were old as poo poo, so they weren't weeding or anything time consuming despite being retired all the time. so we had to rip up a ton of that invasive mock strawberry that was trying to take over everything, in addition to all the new trees that were trying to take root, esp those fast as gently caress invasive chinese silk trees. poo poo took weeks. neighbors were somewhat horrified at the big pile of mulch that a dumptruck had to deliver that took us a week to dissipate

that mulching independence day weekend was apparently particularly tough because the front yard had a buncha beds covered in exposed broken down amazon box cardboard while they were trying to have a grilling day with guests. like yeah, that's the plan, your new neighbors want to cover all their front yard with cardboard, yep you figured it out. tbf after that week when the mulch all got spread out they chilled the gently caress out again, but yeah you'd think we'd had a car up on blocks in the front yard lol

Fortaleza posted:

When I moved in the mailbox had a label with their married name angrily scratched out with “NO!! ONLY <MAIDEN NAME>“

lol

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the backsplash there is a vineyard, the previous owners had a hardcore wine fetish and had their own label or something, idk they went bankrupt renovating the place and getting divorced. all the neighbors keep telling us how awful they were lol

e: here you go

and this kinda thing is all over the place too

old white people here are just bananas for wine. it's kinda down on the list of stuff that's getting replaced

powerful boomer energy going on in your kitchen

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i counted more than 60 mirrors in this house when we moved in; apparently the previous owners were big into dung shui

yards are literally a waste. they exist solely as a means of showing off wealth. we’re slowly converting all of our grassy areas to some kind of garden.

we moved in during snow times. when it melted i noticed a piece of blue sticking out of the mulch in the backyard. it was a tarp; there were 40 tarps buried in the yard to prevent weeds. i removed them and we got a free ridiculous flower garden out of it, dozens of varieties of old flowers that the old lady who owned the house before the last owners had cultivated.

i don’t get burying plastic. landscaping fabric will at least break down over time and not mess with water flows. as mentioned above you can kill a lot of weeds by denying them sunlight, then mulch on top and weeding maintenance is pretty easy after that.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
burying plastic tarps has big boomer energy

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
“just spray gasoline everywhere!”

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i occasionally find another one years later that i managed to miss

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

worst time capsule

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

old white people here are just bananas for wine. it's kinda down on the list of stuff that's getting replaced
be careful when knocking down load-bearing personality substitutes lol

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Kenny Logins posted:

:grovertoot: but it's weed.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

old white people here are just bananas for wine.

That's old white people everywhere, my trips to gulf coast florida have been eye-opening. happy hours on Anna Maria Island run from 2-4 PM and everyone's poo poo faced every single day. It really is something.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Kenny Logins posted:

lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

mediaphage posted:

apparently the previous owners were big into dung shui

the yospos path

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I've used enough firewood that I've uncovered all the poo poo in my shed that got buried last time I had wood delivered. A surprising amount of it is antique glass I forgot about, that somehow isn't broken.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

the yospos path

is that the one with the 219 noble truths?

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I've used enough firewood that I've uncovered all the poo poo in my shed that got buried last time I had wood delivered. A surprising amount of it is antique glass I forgot about, that somehow isn't broken.

You store your antique glass under your woodpile?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

those outlets are setting off my ocd

back a page or two, but having kids without being married in some way can really bite you regarding child support if you ever split up in some jurisdictions. it doesn't matter if you cohabitated and shared all of the expenses or were even the sole financial support, if someone petitions the court for child support you are automatically considered a deadbeat dad in the eyes of the law since you were never married and they're going to make you pay all the way back to when the kid was born

don't have tens of thousands of dollars laying around? no problem, they'll find some way to wring the money out of you such as by revoking your drivers license, because obviously the best way to get people to pay debts is to take away their ability to get to their job

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Asleep Style posted:

You store your antique glass under your woodpile?

I forgot it was there. It was under some other stuff.

It wasn't like... fine glass. A big-rear end poison bottle in a basket and a wooden case with old-rear end beer bottles.

e: like this:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I would like to move somewhere with central heating that actually has a filter

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

it's the people actively looking to get pregnant during a pandemic that are most baffling to me. yeah let's plan to undergo a process that can cause major, sometimes life-threatening complications requiring medical care, during a time when the healthcare system will be overstrained and where going to a hospital will be even more hazardous than usual!

hell, depending on where you live and how bad this poo poo gets in the next few weeks, it might not be possible to get medical care!

and yeah you can plan on delivering at home or w/e but sometimes the human body isn't so cooperative.

the last 6 months in this house have been a complete shitshow with our pre-covid plan to start trying this fall and my flatout refusal to even entertain that notion until some amount of vaccine will curb the looming catastrophe that is coming to our healthcare system. her respiratory system sucks and the idea that she either picks up covid from all the prenatal doctors visits or from seeing family, or has a critical need to save herself/child the resources simply are no longer there is completely intolerable but she was too busy huffing good lib vibes that this was all going to magically stay in control with masks in this country. took until november when she finally broke and admitted we're walking in to a catastrophe and waiting is for the best right now. absolute emotional devastation on a 3-4 week interval as her cycle would start up and once again prompt a discussion to which there is no resolution, was absolutely killing me

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
c w(fh) s: trying out a pomodoro style workflow for in case i get bumped back to (partial) wfh soon

i.e. 5 min break, work 25 mins, repeat 4x more, then do a 35 min break, work for 25 mins, 5 min break, repeat 4x more, etc. breaks always start on the hour and half hour mark

it’s wiggy but just enough to knock the crud out of my addled brain

i wonder if i can keep it up even through the end of this week

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

our pre-covid plan to start trying

you don't need to use the euphemism, you can just say "our pre-covid plan to start blasting messy creampies every night"

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

for a long time I just wondered what was up with me not finding the energy or motivation to be productive but part of it is just that I'm not that interested in the work I have to do at times and I'm just not that good at tricking myself into doing it anyway anymore

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Kenny Logins posted:

c w(fh) s: trying out a pomodoro style workflow for in case i get bumped back to (partial) wfh soon

i.e. 5 min break, work 25 mins, repeat 4x more, then do a 35 min break, work for 25 mins, 5 min break, repeat 4x more, etc. breaks always start on the hour and half hour mark

lmao if you don't just let your self get sucked into doing something and then feel like death after working for numerous hours straight. lol!

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

President Beep posted:

lmao if you don't just let your self get sucked into doing something and then feel like death after working for numerous hours straight. lol!

i used to do this (working, coding, playing bideo shames) but even before covid my rsi put a stop to that

"wow i'm in the zone been at this for six hours straight hell yeah ow ow OW oh cool someone's stabbing my wrist and it's going to feel like this for three days now"

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Cold on a Cob posted:

i used to do this (working, coding, playing bideo shames) but even before covid my rsi put a stop to that

"wow i'm in the zone been at this for six hours straight hell yeah ow ow OW oh cool someone's stabbing my wrist and it's going to feel like this for three days now"

it's something i'm totally fine doing until suddenly i'm really not.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

loving hell. i treat myself life poo poo and need to stop.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Kenny Logins posted:

I do pomodoro every now and again when I find I'm having a really hard time focusing, especially when there's lots of Slack distractions. It's alright, just sort of hard to keep up long-term. Dunno if I've ever done more than a week at a time with it.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

All the cool stuff I was working on and motivated to do got yanked completely thanks to a missing feature we should've known about ahead of time. There's probably a way to do what we want but there's no way we would be able to do it. Lots of discussions with managers using the "not enough resources" euphemism even though it's a 10 person team, really beating around the bush that we as a team are too stupid and talentless to pull it off. Which we are :/

All the talented people left ages ago, it's just me and one other dude and we stuck around because we both moved out of SF but kept the comp so finding closer jobs with the same pay just wasn't gonna happen for a while.

On the plus side I get tons of sleep now and have picked up a lot of satisfying time-consuming hobbies instead of logging into work in the morning.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

you don't need to use the euphemism, you can just say "our pre-covid plan to start blasting messy creampies every night"

also don't be fooled by movies and tv or whatever, getting a woman pregnant is actually quite disgusting

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Sagebrush posted:

you really only wanna do big cums over like a 2 or 3 day window about 14 days from the start of the last period I believe

matti
Mar 31, 2019

my pomodoro is just having a smoke break

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Just call it "preggo" or "preggers" until she gets disgusted and stops bringing it up

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
but really, you almost certainly won't need to pencil in much of the calendar for "trying" - it'll probably be the first month immediately after dropping the birth control

if it takes longer than that you're holding it wrong

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

well that's what was already happening but then the iud expired and now everything is dangerous

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

shoeberto posted:

I do pomodoro every now and again when I find I'm having a really hard time focusing, especially when there's lots of Slack distractions. It's alright, just sort of hard to keep up long-term. Dunno if I've ever done more than a week at a time with it.
yeah i’m trying now to avoid ny resolution-itis, and because my brain needs a zap after having the worst headcold ever for the past 2 werks. doing it now bakes in a hard out by xmas, but we’ll see

it only really suits my lifestyle at all right now because i’m working through lunch breaks to make up for lost time from being sick

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

but really, you almost certainly won't need to pencil in much of the calendar for "trying" - it'll probably be the first month immediately after dropping the birth control

if it takes longer than that you're holding it wrong

oh god don't worry about that, she's professionally a scientist, has now read multiple books on the subject, and has a bluetooth pussy thermometer that tells her EXACTLY where she is on her cycle. bit of a control freak, way more worried about it than I am so spin those wheels away I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

kitten emergency posted:

you really only wanna do big cums over like a 2 or 3 day window about 14 days from the start of the last period I believe