Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

Haven’t seen the finale yet but episodes 1-2 were meh, episodes 3-4 were more promising, and then 5 was outright bad. Hugh Grant is the best thing about it, he is very good at playing a huge piece of poo poo

Update: the finale was extremely bad!!!!!! Just watch Big Little Lies season 1 again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

LionArcher posted:

You know what show should become either a Netflix show or a franchise of movies? The real adventures of Jonny quest. Modern. Quest world VR. Jonny and Jessy as the main leads. Hodgy is gay. It would be legit. (No, shut up about V bros it’s not the same thing. Parody of something doesn’t mean the thing can’t be remade better).

You're sort of getting your wish because CW is reportedly planning a Tom Swift -- the spiritual father of Johnny Quest -- show as a spin-off from Nancy Drew.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

howe_sam posted:

You're sort of getting your wish because CW is reportedly planning a Tom Swift -- the spiritual father of Johnny Quest -- show as a spin-off from Nancy Drew.

Maybe people will finally finally get that taser is an acronym.

No of course they won't.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

Update: the finale was extremely bad!!!!!! Just watch Big Little Lies season 1 again

Was it incredibly stupid or just poorly executed? I thought episodes 3 and 4 really showed promise, but that's as far as I've got

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
The Undoing:

People make a lot of stupid loving decisions and there are a lot less twists than expected, which is to say, none whatsoever.

I love psychological murder limited series, like all the Harlan Coben ones that Netflix has I ate up. I watched it all but was pretty disappointed by the end.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
John Wilson season finale was great, the start of the pandemic was the perfect ending to this show.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

TheAardvark posted:

The Undoing:

People make a lot of stupid loving decisions and there are a lot less twists than expected, which is to say, none whatsoever.

I love psychological murder limited series, like all the Harlan Coben ones that Netflix has I ate up. I watched it all but was pretty disappointed by the end.

That's a shame, it felt like it was leading up to some massive crazy event

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Revisiting Deadwood after a decade. Turns out it's still in the running for greatest TV show of all time.

Really excited about/dreading capping it off with the movie.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

feedmyleg posted:

Revisiting Deadwood after a decade. Turns out it's still in the running for greatest TV show of all time.

Really excited about/dreading capping it off with the movie.

The movie is a perfect coda to the series and setting it 10 years later was brilliant even if it took a few extra historical liberties!

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
We Are The Champions on Netflix is good fun. Rainn Wilson's narration plays it way more serious than he should and it works brilliantly as a result.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

howe_sam posted:

No this is terrible because it will be total trash and not what I want/imagined but I will watch and love every second of it, as I do with all CW shows and don't tell anyone. Except 100, that was legit just good/great and totally insane which helped.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

LionArcher posted:

No this is terrible because it will be total trash and not what I want/imagined but I will watch and love every second of it, as I do with all CW shows and don't tell anyone. Except 100, that was legit just good/great and totally insane which helped.

Well one big change for the Tom Swift show on the CW is that they're making him black and gay.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/glamourmag/status/1333540180037423106?s=20

Wait til I blow the lid of the story that Han Solo and Indiana Jones are BOTH played by Harrison Ford.

Pulitzer, here I come!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
truly shocking news

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Harrison Ford playing both characters really did blow me away when I was 9

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Boy have I got an exclusive, she was Delia in Beetlejuice!

Heard it here first people.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
You probably didn’t know this, but Mufusa and Darth Vader were actually voiced by the same guy!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
:lol: they took it down. Some clickbait apparently is just too dumb.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I really want to know what that tweet said.

My guess is something like: "The hidden connection between Queen's Gambit and Harry Potter" (Beltik and Dudley are not just played by but literally the same person)

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Argue posted:

I really want to know what that tweet said.

My guess is something like: "The hidden connection between Queen's Gambit and Harry Potter" (Beltik and Dudley are not just played by but literally the same person)

Tweet is gone but the article remains:

https://www.glamour.com/story/um-moira-from-schitts-creek-and-the-home-alone-mom-are-played-by-the-same-person

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Who'd win in a fight? Sophia Lillis or Jessie Buckley?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I started watching Industry. It seems good but the problem is that people working in banking in London are some of the worst and slimiest pieces of poo poo in the entire world and despite clearly being satirical I don’t know if I can handle a show that humanises any of them even a little bit

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

I started watching Industry. It seems good but the problem is that people working in banking in London are some of the worst and slimiest pieces of poo poo in the entire world and despite clearly being satirical I don’t know if I can handle a show that humanises any of them even a little bit

The most unrealistic thing about that show is how much anyone there cares about that one employee dying.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

I didn't really felt sorry for any of the characters so I think you're okay there.

socialsecurity posted:

The most unrealistic thing about that show is how much anyone there cares about that one employee dying.
It's explicitly played as strictly a PR concern though. ;)

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

YoutubeTV cancelled Tennis Channel and only gave users 3 hours notice. All recorded content was also removed. Rumors are Sinclair, which owns Tennis Channel and the Fox Sports networks, is going to launch their own streaming service next year.

Considering live news and sports are the main reasons why people subscribe to streaming packages, I feel like the TV landscape is just going to get worse.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The way Industry handles the fallout from Sarah Parish's character is just *chef's kiss* levels of "these people are all horrible shitstains with no comprehension of human morality".

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Price is Right channel is live!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1333778374129553410

No it was so young

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It was so dedicated to the idea of short form content that even the service was over quickly.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

muscles like this! posted:

It was so dedicated to the idea of short form content that even the service was over quickly.

they just wanted to kill a product faster than Google

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Josh Lyman posted:

YoutubeTV cancelled Tennis Channel and only gave users 3 hours notice. All recorded content was also removed. Rumors are Sinclair, which owns Tennis Channel and the Fox Sports networks, is going to launch their own streaming service next year.

Considering live news and sports are the main reasons why people subscribe to streaming packages, I feel like the TV landscape is just going to get worse.

I know a ton of people have said it but "Man it's a shame I can just pay a monthly fee and get a large group of channels straight to my tv as opposed to the ala carte paying a million people for a million channels". Now queue the response.

Chairman of Roffle Mao

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Finally watching Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist and it's a fun show even though some of the song choices make me roll my eyes. I know an idea like this probably doesn't get off the ground without going for a generic playlist but there are some missed opportunities on some big numbers. Overall though it's a really fun musical show.

Dreama Walker needs to show up as a cousin or something at some point.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Quick(ly) Bites (the dust)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Head's up
https://twitter.com/TheElliotPage/status/1333820783655837701
Umbrella Academy actor comes out as trans.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Have they shot any of season 3? And how does that work, does he still play a female character? I understand that being repeatedly misgendered can be very, if not simply irritating, traumatic for trans individuals, but maybe as an actor he's used to playing people he isn't. Do they recast with a person who IDs as female? I don't know what the correct thing to do here would be. I guess if Elliot is fine continuing to play the UA character that's ultimately his choice, but I could see how a person who is trying to transition would be confused and dismayed at having to essentially de-transition for work every day. I'm not very conversant on these issues so I apologize if I've misspoke, it was only in ignorance and not malice.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The season ended with them changing the past so they could just kind of hand wave some minor changes to everyone else and Vanya is all of a sudden a guy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Don't even have to change the name, as I believe Vanya is a masculine name in Russian (I'm going off of knowing one Chekov play being called Uncle Vanya)

Has this ever happened before while a show was still in production?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I imagine there are one of two ways it goes:

1. Page is fine with playing a female character and simply films it as such
2. He isn't and they either make the character male with in-universe justification or without

Recasting it would be loving stupid lmao

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I would expect that it comes down to what Elliott is comfortable with.

Currently on ST:D, there's a non-binary individual playing a female character and I really don't think the writers would have had an issue making the character non-binary as well if they would have wanted it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/netflix/status/1333821049381679111?s=20

Netflix seems to be fine with it