Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
That conspiracy sounds like a lot of complaining about the ending of a show they didn't even like, apparently. The Twitter hashtag revealed some of the characters "silenced."

I am also very confused why people thought Claire Novak was a good character who got "silences" for being a lesbian.

She was already a minor, recurring character and the actress has since gone on to be busy filming movies so I guess she wasn't available for her once a season cameo. She was annoying, who cares, the actress has been doing much better in other roles.

And the random lesbian townies? They were background characters, how were they "silenced?"

Charlie is at least a legit complaint. I was never a big fan but oof, her death was an awful disservice to the character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

I never viewed Supernatural as having a “bury your gays” problem so much as “fridging women” problem. Like, they did kill open lesbian Charlie in a bullshit way, but they kill off women characters in general in lovely and unceremonious ways constantly, all to serve Sam or Dean’s man pain.

Mostly, the reactions from queer fans of the show make me sad because that’s how starved they are for representation in a genre space. Sam and Dean are both straight...it isn’t fair to expect a gay plot line involving either because that’s not how the characters were conceived, but *wanting* a gay plot or wishing characters in this setting were gay is a very valid thing.

Queer supernatural romance should happen more. I mean, Anne Rice existed. It’s not without precedent.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
If you're a lady, or some kind of non-cishet, non-white guy, you're either fridged or you have plot armor; there is no in between.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
They did kill off several main characters who were (I presume) cishet and white.

Mom, Dad, Bobby, just to name a couple.

But yea, if you are female and remotely interested in either winchester, you gon' die. I think Dean's black girlfriend from the racist truck episode was the only one to really live through the whole series, except for what's her name, the lady with the kid he was living with. They just got memory wiped.

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Sam Winchester's poison dick is a cliche for the show for a reason.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0QhgQ-g4C0

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Side note, I think Jack would leave monsters alive because a bunch of episodes showed that they're not all evil and that evil ones have the potential to become good.

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Less Fat Luke posted:

Side note, I think Jack would leave monsters alive because a bunch of episodes showed that they're not all evil and that evil ones have the potential to become good.

I agree with that idea. Otherwise, why stop there? Why not only bring back good people and leave the rest wiped out? Why not just go back to smiting the wicked?

It makes more sense that Jack would put everything back how it was, step back, and let the world handle itself.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

#DestielGate is QAnon for Supernatural fans

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I've just seen the old man makeup for Padalecki for the first time and it's the funniest poo poo I've seen in ages. Glad that some people enjoyed the show til the end, but also happy I stopped watching years and years ago (and honestly, outside of that one episode in season 6 where they accidentally arrive in the real world, I should have stopped watching at the end of season 5).

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I've just seen the old man makeup for Padalecki for the first time and it's the funniest poo poo I've seen in ages. Glad that some people enjoyed the show til the end, but also happy I stopped watching years and years ago (and honestly, outside of that one episode in season 6 where they accidentally arrive in the real world, I should have stopped watching at the end of season 5).

The show is still really fun after season 5, there are some great MOTW eps and season premier/finale eps. Sacrifice, Baby, Scoobynatural. Yeah it starts to wane a bit in season 11+ but you're missing out if you give up after Swan Song.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

I have always liked her videos because she addresses fandom stuff from a nicer place and not "LOOKATTHESEFUCKINWEIRDOS" even if the fans are being fuckin weirdos. Her video on The JohnLock Conspiracy, ESPECIALLY for the unintiated, is a treat and a half to watch.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Less Fat Luke posted:

He could have turned them human though? He wasn't forced to choose between doing nothing and doing this one specific thing (killing them). He's literally omnipotent.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Tiggum posted:

He could have turned them human though? He wasn't forced to choose between doing nothing and doing this one specific thing (killing them). He's literally omnipotent.

I'm fine with him taking his time. Just because he doesn't do something the first week, the first year, or the first century doesn't mean he is doing nothing. As far as we know he also didn't snap his fingers and do away with war or hunger on earth, he just gave everyone the inner knowledge that doing better is possible.

While in our world it would be a cop out, in their world fixing the afterlife may be more important. He's not making heaven on earth, he's making heaven in heaven. Getting into heaven isn't hard, you don't have to religious to get into heaven, very flawed people get into heaven. And while earth was still trucking along pretty well, heaven was on the brink of collapse. In Supernatural becoming a ghost is seriously worse than almost anything that happens to the living, and with heaven near collapse and a huge chunk of Reapers gone the danger of mass ghosting had never been higher.

Jack is omnipotent, but he's also literally a child. He was born in season 12, so he's 3 years old. Not rushing in and messing with a bunch of systems he doesn't understand is very mature for his age.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Tiggum posted:

Pfft that’s a pretty speciesist solution!

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

Sirotan posted:

The show is still really fun after season 5, there are some great MOTW eps and season premier/finale eps. Sacrifice, Baby, Scoobynatural. Yeah it starts to wane a bit in season 11+ but you're missing out if you give up after Swan Song.

anyone who dropped it before scoobynatural needs to watch that episode. it's a top 10. so fun.

finale was alright. didn't expect jack to change anything. makeup was so awful. but cas not being in it was crazy. he's just as big as sam and dean. just skipped the first couple seasons.

Quotey fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Dec 2, 2020

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It was weird but I kinda agree with him not being in it. He had one hell of a farewell scene, so having him show up 2 episodes later like "Sup?" would have kinda made it all moot.

I read somewhere that they were planning on having Jimmy Novak back for the ender, in a big roadhouse party, but covid kinda ruined any big plans for a lot of cameo appearances.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Sirotan posted:

#DestielGate is QAnon for Supernatural fans

it is but it was SO loving funny to watch if you weren't into the show

e: especially because it broke right as people were also stress-refreshing and doomscrolling election updates

Pick fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Dec 3, 2020

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
November 5/6 was one of the most apeshit days I've ever seen Tumblr-wise. The Bolivian President was attacked with dynamite, a new SOAD album came out after 15 years, Georgia flipped blue, and for about six hours everyone thought Vladimir Putin was stepping down...

I don't think I've seen people flip out this hard since 2012, it's great.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

BrendianaJones posted:

I don't understand why fans feel like the writers HAVE to go along with their fanfics, anyway. It's not the story they want to tell, get over it, criticize them for actually good reasons instead of saying it's homophobic for them not to make two characters hook up that they never intended to have hook up.

I also think it's gross that any time two men show any love or affection in a show it's decided it MUST be sexual or romantic in nature, like men can't have close friendships without wanting to gently caress.

To be fair, the final big bad came from the writers following a fan theory, so they were emboldened. :D

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Auction with a bunch of set props and wardrobe just went live: https://www.maynardsfineart.com/auction-catalog/major-tv-series-online-auction_NB9WMFXTY6

Outside of all the flannel shirts, here's about the only good thing available:

Also you can get Naomi's torture drill, lol: https://www.maynardsfineart.com/auction-lot/grinder-w-flex-shaft-comes-with-case_54B430BBAC

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

this is the best

https://www.maynardsfineart.com/auction-lot/cast-iron-pan-with-embeded-face-made-of-plastic-p_B054A24A27

i don't remember what episode, or who that is, but i love it

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The old psychic in the nursing home that made cartoon logic real. That's dean I'm pretty sure

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

It was weird but I kinda agree with him not being in it. He had one hell of a farewell scene, so having him show up 2 episodes later like "Sup?" would have kinda made it all moot.

I read somewhere that they were planning on having Jimmy Novak back for the ender, in a big roadhouse party, but covid kinda ruined any big plans for a lot of cameo appearances.

It's like Blacklist "now its animated" levels of throwing poo poo together they had to do to wrap it up in covid times. The whole episode just feels so awkward. It's the 2 main cast palling around on super small stage areas, no recurring main cast, some random actress from...season 3?4? I have no clue where she's from but was supposed to be significant enough for Dean to remember.

I'm sure the original plan was for a 15 year long show that was gonna have a new, friendly God take over end with literally every major actor/actress who was in the show to welcome the Winchesters into heaven with a big rear end party.

rip my boy Kevin he got done dirty.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Nah man, first season, episode 20. She was the chick in one of the first vamp episodes where dad and the boys were trying to get the colt. Her and her boyfriend got taken hostage, and she got turned off screen, and hauled rear end with another girl named...kate? I think, at the end of the episode when the rest of the nest was getting winchestered.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Same actress also played a nurse on Dean's hospital show in Changing Channels.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Jesus christ, looking through some of the poo poo on that auction and with 6 days to go people are in bidding wars already. loving... WHY? There's 6 more days! All you are doing is raising the price up on yourself.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

People are dumb and a whole lot of them are going to be shocked once they win an item and see the 23% buyers premium added to their bill.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Supernatural fans are in general, goddamned terrible.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yea, just surprised at the lack of basic awareness. That pan linked above is already at $1,100. There's 5 days to go.

poo poo is insane.

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
I decided to rewatch the first five seasons and I forgot how young they looked in the first season. What's everyone's favorite opening? I always remember the one with the couple that ate each other, definitely one of the gorier openings.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Spuzzz posted:

I decided to rewatch the first five seasons and I forgot how young they looked in the first season. What's everyone's favorite opening? I always remember the one with the couple that ate each other, definitely one of the gorier openings.

That one is great, and off the top of my head I can think of both times Dean manages to rise from the dead and has to climb his way out of the ground. The second time in the season 8 premier accompanied by Styx's Man In The Wilderness was a treat the first time I saw it.

I just started doing a rewatch too (of the whole thing maybe? dunno yet) and the show looked so good in the early seasons. Dark with lots of film grain, dramatic lighting. The later seasons look almost soap operaish in how bright and clean they became. Knowing they defeat God in the end it's hilarious and cool to rewatch them struggling with the absolute basics of hunting

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They switched to all digital after the first season, and it really changed the look of the show. I loved the first season just for that dark look it had going on.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
However the first season's music is all in-house and lovely.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Nah, when it aired it was awesome, but netflix couldn't get the rights to it all. They had to make some changes, and those changes all sucked.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I've only seen it on netflix :(

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm like 80% sure the DVDs have the right music.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

They do and I just spent the week transcoding my season 1 blurays for my Plex server so that I could hear it with all the original music. I had only ever seen it on Netflix before and while I never really noticed the music being bad I also just never actually noticed the music- the replacement songs are so vanilla and inoffensive they leave no impression whatsoever. There's only a couple actual music cues (first reveal of a reaper while "(Don't Fear) The Reaper" is playing etc) but yeah you lose something without the classic rock.

Edit: also I made it to season 2 and I'm back to Netflix, don't sleep on the last episode recaps because they all use great music

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Dec 8, 2020

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Nah, when it aired it was awesome, but netflix couldn't get the rights to it all. They had to make some changes, and those changes all sucked.

drat, how is this still a thing this far into the 21st century?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The substitution from In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida on the opening of the skinwalker ep where the SWAT team raids the house with Fake Dean as a serial killer is a crime against humanity.

A lot of the iconic uses of rock music that defined the show in S1 are lost on Netflix.