Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ransome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
vcd chat reminded me of that dumb thing games did for a while where they only rendered alternate lines of their fmv. god it looked awful, and I say that as someone with a glossy monitor

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Soricidus posted:

vcd chat reminded me of that dumb thing games did for a while where they only rendered alternate lines of their fmv. god it looked awful, and I say that as someone with a glossy monitor

that’s because crts have used interlacing or lit up only one half of the lines for decades. everyone has been using various lcd and similar displays for 10-15 years so interlaced video seems really bizarre on them. if you played those rendered scenes on an old tube tv they’d look fine.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Mr. Nice! posted:

that’s because crts have used interlacing or lit up only one half of the lines for decades. everyone has been using various lcd and similar displays for 10-15 years so interlaced video seems really bizarre on them. if you played those rendered scenes on an old tube tv they’d look fine.

I’m pretty sure I wasn’t playing games on an lcd display in 1996

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Soricidus posted:

I’m pretty sure I wasn’t playing games on an lcd display in 1996

i misunderstood your complaint.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
juicero

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
oh god lol

juice, at best, is OK and it’s not full of a stimulant drug like bean water

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the juicero machine was quite a device huh. like applying hulk levels of pressure to squeeze puny fruit chunks

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

echinopsis posted:

the juicero machine was quite a device huh. like applying hulk levels of pressure to squeeze puny fruit chunks

it wasn’t even doing that much, it was just compressing a bag of rotten juice.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
puny has been reintroduced into my lexicon thanks to the puny thread

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
those computers sure are small

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Midjack posted:

it wasn’t even doing that much, it was just compressing a bag of rotten juice.

missed the “rotten” part of this story?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

mod saas posted:

missed the “rotten” part of this story?

the juice bags were shipped refrigerated but not frozen; part of the juicero guy's thing was that the juice had to be "living" or some such bullshit. that meant that they could only ship the juice packs within a certain distance from the juicero HQ (which was in California) so they couldn't be sold in the eastern US (where more than half the population lives). that was also the justification for the drm qr code which blocked you from using a bag past its expiration (and conveniently also blocked you from using third-party bags, or reusing bags), since it didn't have any kind of preservatives so it would expire in like a week or two even with refrigeration.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
wow

I get pretty hosed off when can’t use my own things but I think I’d get extra loving furious if I couldn’t even use their own bags just coz they were a day old

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
you could still use their bags

you'd just have to squeeze them by hand like a poor

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Soricidus posted:

Either Command & Conquer or Red Alert did this in the Windows version but not the DOS version (or maybe it was the other way around) which was mystifying. And yeah it looked like rear end.

The CD-ROM had both versions but still...

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

tag yourself champs i’m “@juicero #juicero”

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If you put your balls in a juicero you don't need to shake.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

this looks like it delivers hand sanitiser

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

echinopsis posted:

this looks like it delivers hand sanitiser

if the pump cost $400 $700 usd then yeah lol

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

that much to smush a whoopee cushion of juice

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I think it had to be quite powerful to apply the load required across the entire face of the packet, if I remember correctly.

I remember a tear down coming away quite surprised at the required level of engineering, given what they wanted to achieve

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

mod saas posted:

tag yourself champs i’m “@juicero #juicero”

wwhy juice is piss @juicero #juicero

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

echinopsis posted:

I think it had to be quite powerful to apply the load required across the entire face of the packet, if I remember correctly.

I remember a tear down coming away quite surprised at the required level of engineering, given what they wanted to achieve

this example of applying a load across the face was a dumb thing executed well.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

echinopsis posted:

you could just squeeze the bags by hand, instead, because to get into a pouch you had to basically puree it anyway, but you had to own the machine to buy the pouches, so whatever

by hand only got to 90% efficiency and no uniform compression from the overengineered machine and didn't squeeze all the woo particles out

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
god

if only orange juice naturally came in an easy to open biodegradebale storage device

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

echinopsis posted:

god

if only orange juice naturally came in an easy to open biodegradebale storage device

orange juice is stored ... in the 🍊🍊???

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

Midjack posted:

people don't usually pay $700 to get a load across the face

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Midjack posted:

I applied a load across ur moms face

3D Megadoodoo posted:

If you put your balls in a juicero you don't need to shake.

balls are stored in the juicero bag

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

ultravoices posted:

people don't usually pay $700 to get a load across the face

Not to you maybe

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

there we go

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Either Command & Conquer or Red Alert did this in the Windows version but not the DOS version (or maybe it was the other way around) which was mystifying. And yeah it looked like rear end.

The CD-ROM had both versions but still...

just remembered, a dedicated fan did a thing reconstructing the FMVs using the recently released betacam footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-E1YJRMwMM

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Dec 1, 2020

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

imagine if this kind of video game aesthetic had stuck and games like call of duty and battlefield played crazy plots with random scifi and hammy acting straight instead of whatever it is they're on about. such a beautiful world.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Yeah imagine if games were good :mmmhmm:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

case in point: Fallout New Vegas had Chinandolor Boing in the cast and they gave him exactly zero good lines??!? The heck did they think they were making - Friends?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

imagine if this kind of video game aesthetic had stuck and games like call of duty and battlefield played crazy plots with random scifi and hammy acting straight instead of whatever it is they're on about. such a beautiful world.

tf2 is the only modern game i can think of that leaned into this and man they leaned into it HARD

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

what you need, when you need it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

3D Megadoodoo posted:

case in point: Fallout New Vegas had Chinandolor Boing in the cast and they gave him exactly zero good lines??!? The heck did they think they were making - Friends?
i've played that game enough to probably hear all benny's lines of dialogue multiple times and i still can't quite believe it's matthew perry