Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

matti
Mar 31, 2019

dang someone actually managed to sell me on an anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

:rip:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

matti posted:

dang someone actually managed to sell me on an anime

no don't

matti
Mar 31, 2019

i should rewatch major, thats an anime i like

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
The only good anime is Cowboy Bebop, everything else is TRASH i assume

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

shoeberto posted:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
anime obeys sturgeon's law like everything else

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

shoeberto posted:

i have an astonishing doctrine wrt anime but you’re on the right track

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I recently watched AKAGI, the overly dramatic mahjong anime that is 90% close shots of mahjong tiles

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

shoeberto posted:

my list is roughly:
cowboy bebop
ghost in the shell
akira
macross plus
nausicaa
winds of amnesia

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

no particular order
if I had to rank them, nausicaa would be first and I’d have to think about the rest

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
got reminded of it and started rewatching pop team epic the other night. good show

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
I downloaded SAC recently to actually watch all the way through since my knowledge of it mostly comes from half-listening to it when it was on Adult Swim while I hosed around on IRC back in high school.

Actually AS has carried some pretty tight anime, or at least did back then. Evangelion, paranoia agent, GitS, Bebop.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

The Fool posted:

winds of amnesia

ivr never heard of this I searched and the closest I found was A Wind Named Amnesia. is that the same thing?

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Goons talking anime on the sex number page.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

hbo sub is running out but i made it to “headstone that says peeps” far into season 5 in sopranos

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

i went ahead and watched the series finale the other day. tony lives

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

nice

matti
Mar 31, 2019

is sopranos an actually good show? never watched that un

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
it's technically urban fantasy that such a fat man would gently caress so much

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

matti posted:

the good parts are great but there's so much dumb garbage, 90% of which is people self-inflicting horrible wounds on themselves because they're miserable shitlords

I don't regret watching it but I doubt I'm ever going to re-watch it.

matti
Mar 31, 2019

ah yea so an i could have it on the background and id enjoy it sort of thing

could watch it

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

matti posted:

the first 3 are great fun, strong recommend. the last 3, well, if you’re committed you’ll stick with them but they’re a different show that is okay to good mostly so far

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

The Fool posted:

my list is roughly:
cowboy bebop
ghost in the shell
akira
macross plus
nausicaa
winds of amnesia

spirited away?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

totoro is good

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

matti posted:

i tried to watch it 2 or 3 years ago and i couldnt get into it. tony is such an embarrassing baby and it doesnt matter if thats the point its just too boring to watch

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Shaggar posted:

i tried to watch it 2 or 3 years ago and i couldnt get into it. tony is such an embarrassing baby and it doesnt matter if thats the point its just too boring to watch
i can’t imagine how people took the show seriously at the time. it’s hilarious. he is such a stupid crying lucky shithead and it never lets up

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

tonny soprano is the platonical ideal of boomer

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Achmed Jones posted:

totoro is good

my 3 year old is terrified of totoro

she loves ponyo

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Kenny Logins posted:

i can’t imagine how people took the show seriously at the time.

Kenny Logins posted:

tonny soprano is the platonical ideal of boomer

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

oh nice, B5 is getting a remaster rerelease

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4HS5K3MdMY

not sure if it's from a better source, an AI upscale or a combination of the two, but a lot of the shots here have far more detail. Some of the skin tones are a bit warm, but I'll take it. Hopefully it's 4:3 and not cropped 16:9, and if I'm really wishing the CG could be redone in proper-res with a bit of effort.

been a while since I last watched it, this might give me some impetus.

matti
Mar 31, 2019

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

my 3 year old is terrified of totoro

she loves ponyo

im going to watch ponyo now i need some cute poo poo in my life right now

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

NoneMoreNegative posted:

not sure if it's from a better source, an AI upscale or a combination of the two, but a lot of the shots here have far more detail. Some of the skin tones are a bit warm, but I'll take it. Hopefully it's 4:3 and not cropped 16:9, and if I'm really wishing the CG could be redone in proper-res with a bit of effort.

neat. never watched it due to dated quality so might watch thus time around

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

and if I'm really wishing the CG could be redone in proper-res with a bit of effort.

oh no. that loving amiga era poo poo is critical to the plot

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

ivr never heard of this I searched and the closest I found was A Wind Named Amnesia. is that the same thing?

Yeah, that’s it, sorry it’s been like two decades since I’ve watched it

Roosevelt posted:

spirited away?

haven’t seen it

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The Fool posted:

Yeah, that’s it, sorry it’s been like two decades since I’ve watched it

haven’t seen it

upon googling, wind of amnesia is the uk/aus release so that must have been where the old bootleg came from

matti
Mar 31, 2019

alfred j kwak was a good anime

The cartoon is also notable for the political themes on which it touches. In the cartoon, Alfred fights against a fascist dictator, takes in refugees fleeing from a country under Apartheid (with white geese and black ducks), saves whales against hunters, and oversees the changeover of his country from an absolute monarchy to a constitutional monarchy with a democratically elected president.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/RealEOC/status/1197575978706489346

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

NoneMoreNegative posted:

i don't think itunes would sell an AI upscale, though i could be wrong. this was originally shot on widescreen 35mm, the issue as you note is the CG which was rendered at 720x480. some of those shots, especially anything showing an instrument panel is like night and goddamned day, it's nuts. no way that's an AI upscale at this point in time imo. some of them go from unrecognizable blurs to clear, sharp lines. what would be neat is if they machine upscaled the CGI, maybe (vs a proper rerender and/or edit); surely some combination would be cheaper than the TNG effort?

i wonder whether they rescanned film or used one of the film transfer produced for 4:3. either way i might finally watch more than a few episodes.

in re anime chat, i pretty much can't stand the majority of series i've seen but some of the movies have been watchable. i liked some of the ghibli stuff. spirited away was nice, princess mononoke was ok, had an interesting conversation with neil gaiman about how the studio hosed all over the translated screenplay he came up with apparently.