Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Zeos embraces his fat anime trash hoarder identity [because I think that's a big portion of his audience] but he's actually pretty good at explaining audio to people who don't understand it and he has basically zero tolerance for audiophile BS which is super unusual. I don't usually watch his headphone stuff, I just thought the dick-shaped processor was funny and I bet if 6moons reviewed it they wouldn't mention the design at all. Nice to have an alternative alternative to wannabe fancy lads like Andrew Robinson or Darko, IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
It’s weird because a lot of the sexy bikini babe underboob fanart he features and performatively lusts over is of characters who are canonically teen and preteen middle/high school students.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

qirex posted:

Nice to have an alternative alternative to wannabe fancy lads like Andrew Robinson or Darko, IMO.

Lol that’s a great take.

If Darko and Robinson are wannabe fancy lads, and Zeos is an unapologetically fat anime pervert trash hoarder, is Zerofidelity an underarmor hat salesbro who “tells it like it is and isn’t afraid to trigger the snowflakes”?

Is Thomas&Stereo a stereotypical Asian weird hobby dad who would be breeding tropical fish if he weren’t collecting amplifiers?

Is Dave Guttenberg an effete NY old timer in the vein of Herb Reichert?

Are Josh Valour and DMS dumb headphone jocks?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Ok Comboomer posted:

Lol that’s a great take.

If Darko and Robinson are wannabe fancy lads, and Zeos is an unapologetically fat anime pervert trash hoarder, is Zerofidelity an underarmor hat salesbro who “tells it like it is and isn’t afraid to trigger the snowflakes”?

Is Thomas&Stereo a stereotypical Asian weird hobby dad who would be breeding tropical fish if he weren’t collecting amplifiers?

Is Dave Guttenberg an effete NY old timer in the vein of Herb Reichert?

Are Josh Valour and DMS dumb headphone jocks?

Did someone insult your favorite youtuber with a throwaway joke? I don't think they meant it as an attack against you personally.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

shortspecialbus posted:

Did someone insult your favorite youtuber with a throwaway joke? I don't think they meant it as an attack against you personally.

Neither did I? I was participating in the joke and mildly roasting a bunch of youtubers, all of whom I like to varying degrees and don’t have anything really negative to say about (minus Zeos’ apparent predilection for underaged bikini babes).

Rereading my post, I can see why it comes off as combative or sore, but that really wasn’t my intent at all. I legit thought the OP I was responding to was funny.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

If I didn't know who Steve Guttenberg was my mental image of an analog-centric audiophile would look exactly like him: in his 60s, long hair, ugly shirts, loves giant coffin-sized walnut speakers and Steely Dan. The Zero Fidelity guy is weird because he looks like that guy in sales who takes your office fantasy league way too seriously but he talks like an old Guttenberg-era vinyl guy. Thomas seems pretty harmless but he can definitely hear money. It's cool he gets his hands on really expensive stuff without having to be a press person, like you don't usually see people actually using $20k+ gear in videos.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I review iems sometimes. Feel free to trash my channel since I don't monetize anything.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHjFG6i2KZN78170BhyD8Vg/

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

qirex posted:

If I didn't know who Steve Guttenberg was my mental image of an analog-centric audiophile would look exactly like him: in his 60s, long hair, ugly shirts, loves giant coffin-sized walnut speakers and Steely Dan. The Zero Fidelity guy is weird because he looks like that guy in sales who takes your office fantasy league way too seriously but he talks like an old Guttenberg-era vinyl guy. Thomas seems pretty harmless but he can definitely hear money. It's cool he gets his hands on really expensive stuff without having to be a press person, like you don't usually see people actually using $20k+ gear in videos.

About a decade ago when I was just getting into 2 channel and vinyl and Steve was still writing for CNET, I emailed him for advice on system-building and he wrote me back a very nice and very detailed letter which set me on the path to make some very good decisions that I otherwise wouldn’t have made when picking out my first set of components.

Steve’s also low-key very involved in progressive politics which is rad on its own, but also always seemed sort of rare to me in the world of old white audiophile dudes with wicked expensive audio systems. A lot of the old audiophiles I’ve interacted with are pretty fiscal GOP. Also he and his movie projectionist wife have a pretty cool background in the NY art/punk/weirdo scene.

I like that Thomas has been on an affordable Chi-Fi tube amp kick lately (apparently the Doge 10, R8, and Cayin are his holy trinity with all of them seriously impressing him and displaying different and complementary strengths). Also he appears to have a friendly tube amp beef going with ZeroFidelity at the moment.

He’s also a really nice dude to interact and correspond with and I’ll often go back and forth with him in YouTube comments.

ZeroFidelity gives pretty good advice but every interaction I’ve had with him has been kinda brusque, and last week he had a small meltdown about how he was “gonna be reviewing some expensive gear ($10k+) because this is a high end audio channel and that’s what ‘high end’ means and if that offends you then maybe you should go check out some $99 Black Friday deals instead” and the whole thing came off as needlessly combative and lovely to me (and kinda poor-shamey) in an announcement for a video.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Dec 1, 2020

evilcat
May 16, 2009
Speaking of high end audio and vinyl!
I thought records were supposedly the be all end all of audio but apparently they need a static electricity eliminator and magnet because the plastic will have a charge and magnetic field that will absolutely ruin the audio quality. Also, apparently the best players are made from granite and need a phono preamp that is battery powered. Oh, and a amplifier with no feedback using a massive triode and a telecom repeater tube. I was surprised to read that it wasn't all a linear power supply for that 1400V triode.
On the completely serious side of things, it can be hard sometimes to sort out what is and isn't real. A multi-thousand-dollar cartridge seems obvious enough or silver cables, but things like anti-skate weight of one style or another is a lot harder to pick out what is and isn't useful. I was just trying to actually find a decent, cheap record player with the intent to be to get cool albums that are out on vinyl as special editions that come with digital codes. Have some cool thing for special occasions or fun and have the good copy for actually blasting music 99% of the time.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Ok Comboomer posted:

Neither did I? I was participating in the joke and mildly roasting a bunch of youtubers, all of whom I like to varying degrees and don’t have anything really negative to say about (minus Zeos’ apparent predilection for underaged bikini babes).

Rereading my post, I can see why it comes off as combative or sore, but that really wasn’t my intent at all. I legit thought the OP I was responding to was funny.

Fair enough - on initial read it seemed salty and really defensive, but I may not have been in the best of moods myself at the time. A reread it seems less so, my bad.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I'm not convinced there is such a thing any more as a record player that is both good and cheap since vinyl is such a money burning hobby anyway.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

shortspecialbus posted:

Fair enough - on initial read it seemed salty and really defensive, but I may not have been in the best of moods myself at the time. A reread it seems less so, my bad.

Nah, I’ve been a smidge testy all day myself. I’ve been getting horrible sleep the last few days and it’s probably triggering some hypo-hypo-hypomania or whatever.

njsykora posted:

I'm not convinced there is such a thing any more as a record player that is both good and cheap since vinyl is such a money burning hobby anyway.

There’s tons of good gear, new and used. What do you call “cheap”?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Stereo gear is more expensive because they sell about 1/10 as many record players as they did in the 70s [and most of what does sell today is those Crosley suitcase deals]. Stand alone turntables are niche items now, Paying $200-300 for a decent audio component doesn’t seem especially unreasonable to me.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

qirex posted:

Stereo gear is more expensive because if they were cheap, people wouldn't buy them.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Uh, what? The best selling audio gear is all the cheapest.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

qirex posted:

Like... what?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Like... what?
Sub-$100 bluetooth/smart speakers outsell any other audio product by probably at least 10:1. The best selling turntable on amazon is $45 including built in speakers and it looks like an old suitcase.

"Real" audio components are a low volume niche item compared to say a Logitech Wonderboom that they can sell 100,000 units of. Economies of scale don't really apply.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

LRADIKAL posted:

Isn't this something that computers can just do in software anyway? It's how VR works, right? How could virtual speakers be something you WANT while listening to music?
Yes, a goon informed me of HeSuVi which can do various virtualizations.

I use it on my sennheiser hd600 for gaming.

Instead of cheapo gimmick gamer headphones, I have longer lasting ones that I can use for positional sound.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

qirex posted:

Sure, but the expensive crap sells because it's expensive. Can't brag to your friends about a $650 setup even if it does sound better than a $65,000 one.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
Just have friends with 100$ systems

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

taqueso posted:

Just have friends with 100$ systems

In the land of Logitech desktop speakers, the man with Kef LS-50's is King.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Lots of people want their music/games/movies to sound good.

Most of those people (rightfully) want nothing to do with being an audiophile because audiophiles are morons that argue about how a particular speaker is clearly inferior because the crossover wasn't built with the right kind of solder.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I know a lot of people who really like music and movies and want it to sound "good" in their home.
Can you guess how many of those people can be loving bothered to jump into the world of audio gear? Absolutely zero. They would rather get a sound bar that fits their budget and be done with it.

We have broken minds, this is why we buy and care about audio equipment.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I have a $1200 audio system and people who I know have like a $700/month car payment look at me like I'm insane for spending "so much." It's all about priorities.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

And people think I'm weird for spending £70 to fix up an old iPod.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

qirex posted:

I have a $1200 audio system and people who I know have like a $700/month car payment look at me like I'm insane for spending "so much." It's all about priorities.

“Why would you buy vintage gear? Because it looks nice? There’s no Bluetooth”

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
The bread and butter of “audiophile gear” from a sales and market standpoint is like a Yamaha AS301 or 501 for $300 and an LP120. And an RCA-to-headphone cable for plugging in a phone.

Like once you’re even thinking of the word “DAC” you’ve already metastasized to Tier 2. Anoraks and wannabe rich dudes turn up their noses at entry level gear, but the entry level gear is the 99.9% of the 0.00000001% of the market that even ever thinks about speakers.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

qirex posted:

why not a 700/mo stereo financing payment?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

taqueso posted:

why not a 700/mo stereo financing payment?

I’d need a patreon and a YouTube channel first

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

qirex posted:

One single $1200 system is not bad. Unless you also have a closet of several thousands of dollars of other equipment you don't even use because you just can't stop collecting poo poo.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

qirex posted:

I know people who own shoes more expensive than my system and they still think I am the weird one

Take the plunge! Okay! fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Dec 2, 2020

strtj
Feb 1, 2010
Magnets on cables are nothing new in the world of scammery, but I bring you the next level:

Magnets for your optical cable!
https://www.highfidelitycables.com/digital/reveal/

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

strtj posted:

Magnets on cables are nothing new in the world of scammery, but I bring you the next level:

This has to be an April Fools joke

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

strtj posted:

"a common-sense yet controversial technology."

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

*raises hand*

...but that's not an optical cable.

Have I missed the joke?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
^^^ I was gonna miss whatever the joke is but you beat me to it

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Thirded. Just, like, look at the cable.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
lol that's what I get for looking at it on my phone

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

lol that's what I get for looking at it on my phone

S/PDIF is almost always coaxial. You're thinking of Toslink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

RCA ended SPDIF cables are pretty common. https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Coax...ts&ts_id=597550