Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
hasan should stick to some poggers among us streams with AOC IMO

:smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
Northern Regalia vitality build at level 60 is pretty funny. With Marion Blade and Clever Rat's Ring I just one-shot everybody invading in 1-1.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
So I accidentally said No to releasing a guy in a cage in 3-2, but now I want to release him, but it seems that was my only chance?

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Is it considered in poor taste to run Old Monk invades using the scraping spear? Because I think I just ruined every weapon and piece of gear this one guy had.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Sammus posted:

Is it considered in poor taste to run Old Monk invades using the scraping spear? Because I think I just ruined every weapon and piece of gear this one guy had.
yes, and also everyone does it

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Sammus posted:

It’s grief and/or invitation for others to grief you. But that’s what the fight’s all about

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

when I run old monk I honorably turtle up with max regen and warding. seeing the old monk boss bar endlessly go up as I just go around the room avoiding spells is fantastic you can tell they're getting madder by the second.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I remember being the Old Monk in the original and just having super lovely weapons but also baby's nail so I plagued some poor dude and we ran in circles for literally 20 minutes popping grass endlessly at each other

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
As Old Monk I ruthlessly one-shot like 8 people with FireStorm before someone finally counter-cheesed me with Homing Soul Arrow

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold
Jesus I really wish pushing forward and hitting R1 with Meat Cleaver + shield wasn't a slowly-scraping-poo poo-off-the-floor-for-zero-damage move.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Awww yea. Upgraded my Compound Long Bow +2 to the Lava Bow and owned the poo poo out of Maneater.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I beat the fire spider in 2-1 by cheesing it with a bow. :)

And now I have the Great Club and loving LMAO @ harvesting skellies. I can't believe these were my mortal enemy last week.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

my sl18 troll build is letting me witness the 5 stages of grief with every invasion

it's surprising how many people simply sit down and accept death or just jump off a ledge after only a few minutes

also thanks to the user that brought up poison, kunai seem to surprise people every time

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

Also despite being 2 DEX from the Lava Bow stat requirement, the fire damage isn't hampered at all and it fires normally, so hell yeah gonna start using that for clearing ng+ world 5

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I spent my second night just watching people flail their hands around uselessly in the Old Monk room.

I just love mages that roll towards me trying to drop a firestorm

Anti Magic owns

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Raine posted:

Also despite being 2 DEX from the Lava Bow stat requirement, the fire damage isn't hampered at all and it fires normally, so hell yeah gonna start using that for clearing ng+ world 5

I'm still slowly working through my NG run to make this build, doing everything at SL18 is surprisingly tough. I took the time to get to PBWT to kill some BPs to strengthen Demonbrandt but I'm starting to think I should just say gently caress it and rush to beat the game, aside from killing BP Scirvir to get Talisman of Beasts

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

CodfishCartographer posted:

I'm still slowly working through my NG run to make this build, doing everything at SL18 is surprisingly tough. I took the time to get to PBWT to kill some BPs to strengthen Demonbrandt but I'm starting to think I should just say gently caress it and rush to beat the game, aside from killing BP Scirvir to get Talisman of Beasts

Don't forget to use an Archstone Shard after you kill the last boss for Soulbrandt (don't accidentally walk into the ending cutscene lol), so you can glide into ng+ with the best sword in the game (at that level). Also upgrade your nail to +5 if you haven't already.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

Also, if it helps, I've found that the Imperial Spy Hood (which you can put on after invading with the Silver Corset/Silver Catalyst for the SC cast), and Leather Armor/Gloves/Boots work perfectly at keeping my equip load under 50%, even when I'm playing around with other weapons.

Edit: one last thing, having a +10 Kite Shield for PvE is extremely useful, it has a massive guard break rating of 75 with only 3.5 weight

Raine fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Dec 2, 2020

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Sammus posted:

yes, but you should do it anyways haha

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Sammus posted:

its hilarious and you should do it

its also even better if you make your stats so you cant properly wield it, so you do like 1 damage and do 10 durability per hit anyway

also :toot: first time beating it

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1qXcgERKk4

also here is some old monk scraping spear content if you want to see how widespread it is

the most fun thing to do is break all their poo poo, and then when their spirit and will are broken you parry with a sword to one shot them

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
I feel very lucky to have gotten what appeared to be a very non-meta / not very good player as my Old Monk.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

eonwe posted:

hasan should stick to some poggers among us streams with AOC IMO

:smug:

He beat Sekiro and Dark Souls 3, which surprised me.

Also holy poo poo I just beat the Vanguard in the tutorial and you get aslightly different fluted helmet that looks more like the original I guess? Looking it up, it’s just more like the original, and you pick it up, and only the helm, no other piece of the set, after the vanguard, in the area with the dragon god. I didn’t even really realize it was that different but I forgot how the original’s looked and how long the like ‘beak’ is. I took a screenshot, but I only just got to the nexus and I started as Royalty so I can’t directly compare the two unless I switched characters, but I’m glad they did this cause the original fluted armor is my favorite like traditional, like starting, or ‘regular’ knight set in any of the souls games:

imhotep fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Dec 2, 2020

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Are we sure the game doesn't sync to server averages for tendency anymore? Only asking because I went to 1-1 with PWWT and went through the extra area. Then I looked last night and it doesn't look like Boletaria has PWWT anymore, just going off the icon. I didn't do anything else in World 1 that could have impacted it that I know 0f, unless killing the human enemy who attacks you in the PWWT area of 1-1 counts.

EDIT: OH WELL GREAT GUESS THAT DOES COUNT. (Thanks for the replies and info :shobon:)

Agrias120 fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Dec 2, 2020

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Agrias120 posted:

Are we sure the game doesn't sync to server averages for tendency anymore? Only asking because I went to 1-1 with PWWT and went through the extra area. Then I looked last night and it doesn't look like Boletaria has PWWT anymore, just going off the icon. I didn't do anything else in World 1 that could have impacted it that I know if, unless killing the human enemy who attacks you in the PWWT area of 1-1 counts.

It does, I think it’s +3 black or something

the tendency system sucks! it’s the worst! opaque Byzantine bullshit that will make you even more miserable if you choose to ignore it entirely!

robostac
Sep 23, 2009
That does count. My world tendencies have stayed as expected throughout multiple quits / crashes / power offs so I'm pretty sure they're only based on my world now instead of drifting towards an average.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i have no idea why From didn't take the extremely obvious step of making assists push your WT and CT towards White like invasions do for Black. it means trying to get any of the tendency-related content is this painstaking micromanagement-laden gauntlet of metagaming, because there's so few opportunities to achieve White tendency whereas death pushes you to Black, which is a problem when everything in the game wants to murder you

making invader phantom kills count towards White is worthless too, because most invaders are exceptionally good at killing other players in the most infuriating ways possible. that's why they're invaders! i'd be disappointed if they weren't good at it!

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Making invaders count towards white is double dumb because if you're at the point where you realize you've hosed up (AKA you've killed the bosses) you can't actually get invaded anymore.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

robostac posted:

That does count. My world tendencies have stayed as expected throughout multiple quits / crashes / power offs so I'm pretty sure they're only based on my world now instead of drifting towards an average.

Yep, will confirm. I have had worlds 2 and 4 at PWWT for many days while I have switch world 3 to PBWT and played Astrobot.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Saint Freak posted:

Making invaders count towards white is double dumb because if you're at the point where you realize you've hosed up (AKA you've killed the bosses) you can't actually get invaded anymore.

Yeah. They should set default tendency to +1 White which is where it hovered on PS3. Get to PWWT with a boss kill or two. Boletaria used to be close to +2.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Saint Freak posted:

Still works with a password though so it's easy to fix it with a friendly helper.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
Man, I'm trivializing this game with a Dex build and a +5 Sticky Compound Longbow. Did Bluepoint tweak the bow mechanics from the original game? I never used a bow in the original but I remember them feeling like poo poo in Dark Souls and requiring 2 button presses too many just fire the drat thing. But here they feel great and the bowstring thwap and arrow impact SFX make it feel surprisingly punchy to use.

Although, they really monkey's pawed the Pure Bladestone fix, because now Chunks seem impossible to accrue. :argh:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

FuriousGeorge posted:

Man, I'm trivializing this game with a Dex build and a +5 Sticky Compound Longbow. Did Bluepoint tweak the bow mechanics from the original game? I never used a bow in the original but I remember them feeling like poo poo in Dark Souls and requiring 2 button presses too many just fire the drat thing. But here they feel great and the bowstring thwap and arrow impact SFX make it feel surprisingly punchy to use.

Although, they really monkey's pawed the Pure Bladestone fix, because now Chunks seem impossible to accrue. :argh:

Bows are bonkers OP in DeS and always have been. They were good in DS1 for sniping, and pretty trash ever since. The opposite could be said for crossbows; they're utterly unusable in Demon's and borderline OP throughout Dark Souls.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I find bows really useful in Dark Souls 3 to help pick off enemies from groups, or pull one or two enemies at a time. That game loves to throw multiple aggressive, high-poise, super tanky enemies at you at once, and being able to whittle one down a bit with a bow and then deal with it one-on-one when it comes to you is great.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Harrow posted:

I find bows really useful in Dark Souls 3 to help pick off enemies from groups, or pull one or two enemies at a time. That game loves to throw multiple aggressive, high-poise, super tanky enemies at you at once, and being able to whittle one down a bit with a bow and then deal with it one-on-one when it comes to you is great.

Oh there's nothing wrong with the idea of a bow, it's just they're statistically inferior in DS3. Crossbows require no stat investment and will out-damage any bow at any point in the game, and you can free-aim them in 3 so that niche is gone. Just use crossbows instead.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
In the original game I did a bow-only run and it owned, I highly recommend it and have been considering doing a run of it in the remake

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Oh there's nothing wrong with the idea of a bow, it's just they're statistically inferior in DS3. Crossbows require no stat investment and will out-damage any bow at any point in the game, and you can free-aim them in 3 so that niche is gone. Just use crossbows instead.

Oh huh, for some reason I just have it internalized that "crossbow = no free aim" so I didn't even try :v: That's good to know, since I haven't upgraded my longbow yet on my new DS3 run.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Just realized I missed the Colorless Demon's Soul in the PWWT area of 1-1. If I killed Miralda is it possible to get back to PWWT in Boletaria? I haven't done 1-3 or 1-4 yet. I got the two Colorless Demon's Souls from the crow, I was just hoping to be able to upgrade my Adjudicator's Shield again without doing the assassin quests.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Kill invaders. You can have a friend invade your game with a password and kill them until you get back up to PWWT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Agrias120 posted:

Just realized I missed the Colorless Demon's Soul in the PWWT area of 1-1. If I killed Miralda is it possible to get back to PWWT in Boletaria? I haven't done 1-3 or 1-4 yet. I got the two Colorless Demon's Souls from the crow, I was just hoping to be able to upgrade my Adjudicator's Shield again without doing the assassin quests.

That area also opens up with PBWT, so just go die a bunch and you can head back. Just note that there will be a BP for Miralda. Though she is relatively easy if you just block and backstab her