Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

rpgs are the best genre out there and that's a fact. we dont have a general purpose thread for them, so let's use this one. currently playing four of them right now and all of them kick rear end in a big way

paper mario: origami king is pretty rpg-lite and easy, but the writing is very charming, the music is great, and it's super pretty. i'm getting kind of bored of the regular combat although the boss fights are pretty cool. think i'm going to take a break for a while to recharge, but in the meantime i picked up

divinity: original sin II kicks huge rear end on a mechanical level. fights are sick, interacting with the world is great, and it seems like almost every possible mechanical interaction was accounted for, even down to small poo poo. for instance, if you're playing an undead the game makes a big deal out of how no one can find out or they'll kill you dead, which is fair, then your magic mask that makes you look human gets stolen. that seems like a big problem but the first helmet you can find is a bucket and if you're wearing a bucket no one can tell you're a skeleton. small poo poo like that is real cool, it makes the world feel more tangible and coherent. the writing seems kind of standard wrpg poo poo but it's fine for now

i'm also finishing up the ff7 remake, i was on the last chapter before my buddy borrowed my ps4 for a couple weeks and havent been able to game on it because of holiday stuff until tonight. i'm still shocked at how good this game was, the initial announcement sounded so much like a cash grab but the actual game's anything but. the combat system is great, the game looks fantastic, and a lot of the changes they made were insanely good (wall market is absolutely incredible). a lot of the new content felt like padding, but the combat was good enough that i didn't care. i've heard the ending is buck wild, so i'm excited to get to it. hopefully chapter 2 will keep it going someday

last, i'm also about a third of the way through alpha protocol and man, this game's so cool. i've bounced off a couple times over the last few years but the dialogue and mission structure is super good, i think this is the time that i see it through. the first couple times the lovely shooting annoyed me because i was treating it like a stealth game, but that's not what the game is. it's billed as a tactical espionage rpg and that's how i'm treating it this time. turns out it's really fun to use the busted skills to murk tons of enemies super fast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
jrpg gamers cannot fail, good releases every year and if theres not? theres surely some epic ps1 or snes game you havent got around to yet, or you can replay a 80 hour classic

western rpg gamers i dunno... a friend told me bards tale 4 made him throw up

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

elf help book posted:

jrpg gamers cannot fail, good releases every year and if theres not? theres surely some epic ps1 or snes game you havent got around to yet, or you can replay a 80 hour classic

lol

Fartlancer
Nov 18, 2003
any game where you can level up is a rpg

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Quest 64 is the first "RPG" to come to the Nintendo 64, which is pretty
sad and pathetic when you think about it. Actually, I think the entire
"RPG" concept it stupid. Think about it..."Role Playing Game." That
means you are playing the role of a character, and are totally submersed
in their world, and can interact with it. Using that definition, Mario
64 is an RPG. So is GoldenEye 007. The only genre that isn't an RPG is
the puzzle genre...most of the time at least. RPG really means "Retarded
Pretend Game."

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

elf help book posted:

wrpg are definitely the more fail rpg but theres still some good ones. ive never played a bards tale game but they look like the most gbs thing possible

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I call them Retard Pretend Games

e: oh, thank you herculon

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

elf help book posted:

Lol

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I installed bards tale 1 because I never got around to renting it for PS2 and I didnt even get past the intro before turning it off lol.

Fartlancer
Nov 18, 2003
youre supposed to play bards tale on the NES

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

in alpha protocol theres literally a skill where you can go invisible and can kill mutliple enemies without breaking stealth and its loving kickass

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004
do NOT have the mental capacity to play 4 rpgs at the same time. 1 rpg at a time, enjoying it like a fine wine is the way for me

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

John Romero’s game thing just put out a tactical crpg where you run a mob family

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Agreed with the OP.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

trying to jack off posted:

in alpha protocol theres literally a skill where you can go invisible and can kill mutliple enemies without breaking stealth and its loving kickass

that shits so fun

i beat that game like 3 times in a row going for all the achievements, and on the final one i needed the game bugged and didnt award it and i just walked away

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

trying to jack off posted:

in Oblivion you can just put 20 percent chameleon on all your armor and as long as you're sneaking, everyone just stands there and let's you kill them.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Fartlancer posted:

any game where you can level up is a rpg

leveling up kicks rear end

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i love selecting perks, increasing percentages, and unlocking new gear

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

little munchkin posted:

que sera sera
Aug 4, 2006

The best part of old jrpgs is getting to the next town and buying a slightly better sword

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

little munchkin posted:

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

que sera sera posted:

The best part of old jrpgs is getting to the next town and buying a slightly better sword

the gamble of saving your money and waiting for the next town after, or even better, finding a even better sword in the nearby dungeon. oh baby

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

que sera sera posted:

This.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

little munchkin posted:

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Nutmeg posted:

do NOT have the mental capacity to play 4 rpgs at the same time. 1 rpg at a time, enjoying it like a fine wine is the way for me

This, for me as well.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

little munchkin posted:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

elf help book posted:

the gamble of saving your money and waiting for the next town after, or even better, finding a even better sword in the nearby dungeon. oh baby

getting a sword you just spent all your money on in a chest in the next dungeon :whitewater:

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Fungah! posted:

getting a sword you just spent all your money on in a chest in the next dungeon :whitewater:

Getting the +10 Legendary Godslayer halfway through the final dungeon

Fiend Matador
Feb 19, 2011

using the dq8 alchemy pot or the dq11 forge to make a badass sword way before youre supposed to have it ftw

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Fiend Matador posted:

using the dq8 alchemy pot or the dq11 forge to make a badass sword way before youre supposed to have it ftw

Hell, bad rear end swords ftw.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
hoarding uncommon recovery items meant to be used sparingly and literally never using any of them ever ftmfw

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Fiend Matador posted:

dq11 forge is the best crafting minigame in any rpg imo, its basically perfect and i enjoyed doing it all game

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I legitimately love watching my numbers go up while the enemies’ numbers go down.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

big numbers ftw, small numbers ftl

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Numbers flying out of heads, skill trees that get maxed out before finishing the story and and open world are my RPG big three ftw mechanics.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Getting xp AND reveling points of interest on the map for climbing up a tower...ftw.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
I'm looking for an RPG that I can escape into. something like skyrim, but good.

Salacious Spy
May 29, 2010

Well the word got around they said this kid is insane, man
Banged in the mouth and now he's got AIDS, man
Pillars of Eternity 2 is a real good CRPG with a cool class system and a pretty great story imo. especially on higher difficulties the combat can require a lot of micro but it's real rewarding when you negotiate the fight just right and all the biggest bads are stuck trying to get past your invincible tank while your monk/rogue pops out of stealth and starts boxing them in the ear. all my party members keep trying to gently caress me though

Salacious Spy
May 29, 2010

Well the word got around they said this kid is insane, man
Banged in the mouth and now he's got AIDS, man

SpaceAceJase posted:

I'm looking for an RPG that I can escape into. something like skyrim, but good.

there's a total conversion mod for Skyrim called Enderal, I haven't played it myself but from what I've heard it revamps the game mechanics for the better and has a story that doesn't suck rear end. IIRC it got a standalone release on Steam recently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Jim Long-un posted:

there's a total conversion mod for Skyrim called Enderal, I haven't played it myself but from what I've heard it revamps the game mechanics for the better and has a story that doesn't suck rear end. IIRC it got a standalone release on Steam recently

drat this looks great thank you