Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Punkin Spunkin posted:

What?? Tim Burton died in 1998 during the production of Sleepy Hollow
Who knows what even greater films he could have directed...but drat what a career

Man you're really gonna skip past Big Fish like that, huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Probably see more of this but Clive Barker is getting the rights back to the Hellraiser movie franchise due to the copyright rule about original creators being able to get their stuff back after 35 years.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Pirate Jet posted:

seriously people need to stop sleeping on Big Fish

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Too bad that movie sunk so hard when it released that it sleeps with the fishes instead.

muscles like this! posted:

Probably see more of this but Clive Barker is getting the rights back to the Hellraiser movie franchise due to the copyright rule about original creators being able to get their stuff back after 35 years.

I'm so excited about this. I hope that it somehow results in one, like just ONE actually decent Hellraiser flick again and then they never do another.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

hope the new hellraiser movies (if he's interested in making more) will be better than the recent Book of Blood on Hulu, where they somehow didn't think to adapt that crazy-rear end village with towers of people killing each other in the distance while a gay couple have sex on the hood of a car

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

sexpig by night posted:

:confused:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

sexpig by night posted:

I saw it for the first time last year and it quickly became one of my faves. It’s a very beautifully told movie.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The Saddest Rhino posted:

hope the new hellraiser movies (if he's interested in making more) will be better than the recent Book of Blood on Hulu, where they somehow didn't think to adapt that crazy-rear end village with towers of people killing each other in the distance while a gay couple have sex on the hood of a car

Not only that, it didn't adapt a single story from the books of blood.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Pirate Jet posted:

I liked Big Fish a lot when i saw it 200 years ago but Burton filmography-wise it's bobbing alone in such a sea of poo that i considered it a sad but necessary sacrifice

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

:hmmyes:

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Last I heard HBO was doing a Hellraiser series that Clive is producing https://deadline.com/2020/10/clive-barker-hellraiser-hbo-series-adaptation-1234606166/

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
There was that great post talking about Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland movie, comparing it to a gifted but uninspired student given a project that absolutely should be a great project for them, only to tun in the most disappointing, generic poo poo.

It's not even that Tim Burton's schtick got old, it's that he straight up forgot what it was.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
My disappointment about Burton's Planet of the Apes would have been considerably lessened by the knowledge that this would be the norm for him a few years down the line.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
It has been my experience that the old and comfortable often lose their creative spark.

But not always.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Burton started imitating himself. I think that's where things went wrong. Instead of making films with his unique perspective, he started trying to make "Tim Burton" films. He allowed himself to become a brand.

Big Fish was incredible though. Sweeney Todd was alright as well.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Snowman_McK posted:

There was that great post talking about Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland movie, comparing it to a gifted but uninspired student given a project that absolutely should be a great project for them, only to tun in the most disappointing, generic poo poo.

It's not even that Tim Burton's schtick got old, it's that he straight up forgot what it was.

I almost want to read an intentional satire into Tim Burton being handed Alice in Wonderland and immediately morphing it into the most basic Hero's Journey plot possible.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I'm a little late on the John Carter chat, I just wanted to say that I feel better knowing that Tars Tarkas is some nonsense word someone came up with a century ago and not some nonsense word a certain goon came up with while they were trying to think of a username for their forums account. That's basically the sum total of my knowledge of John Carter of Mars (well that and it takes place on Mars I guess).

Fake Edit: I initially typed that as John Carpenter of Mars which is kind of a funny coincidence now that I think about it.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Tall Girl 2: Girl Taller

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1333887525094612993

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I guess the first one didn't end with her shrinking, so why not.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

2 Tall 2 Furious
She's The Total Package

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Girl 2: Hypertall

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Tall Girl 2: Girling Tall

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
This stealth Phantasm reboot looks promising.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Gonz posted:

This stealth Phantasm reboot looks promising.

Now I'm disappointed it's not this.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Beachcomber posted:

It has been my experience that the old and comfortable often lose their creative spark.

quote:

Sick Boy : It's certainly a phenomenon in all walks of life.
Mark "Rent-boy" Renton : What do you mean?
Sick Boy : Well, at one time, you've got it, and then you lose it, and it's gone forever. All walks of life: George Best, for example. Had it, lost it. Or David Bowie, or Lou Reed...
Mark "Rent-boy" Renton : Some of his solo stuff's not bad.
Sick Boy : No, it's not bad, but it's not great either. And in your heart you kind of know that although it sounds all right, it's actually just shite.
Mark "Rent-boy" Renton : So who else?
Sick Boy : Charlie Nicholas, David Niven, Malcolm McLaren, Elvis Presley...
Mark "Rent-boy" Renton : OK, OK, so what's the point you're trying to make?
Sick Boy : All I'm trying to do is help you understand that The Name of The Rose is merely a blip on an otherwise uninterrupted downward trajectory.
Mark "Rent-boy" Renton : What about The Untouchables?
Sick Boy : I don't rate that at all.
Mark "Rent-boy" Renton : Despite the Academy Award?
Sick Boy : That means gently caress all. Its a sympathy vote.
Mark "Rent-boy" Renton : Right. So we all get old and then we can't hack it anymore. Is that it?
Sick Boy : Yeah.
Mark "Rent-boy" Renton : That's your theory?
Sick Boy : Yeah. Beautifully loving illustrated.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

It's all leading up to her fighting Kong and Godzilla.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

Neo Rasa posted:

Too bad that movie sunk so hard when it released that it sleeps with the fishes instead.

I'm so excited about this. I hope that it somehow results in one, like just ONE actually decent Hellraiser flick again and then they never do another.

There literally are no decent hellraiser flicks, though?

(theyre all bad)

Good concept for a horror but jeesh, the movies suck

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Eat Predate Tall

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Beachcomber posted:

But not always.

https://twitter.com/CharlizeAfrica/status/1261045737460166657?s=20

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

On the other hand, he destroyed a national park to make that movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

On the other other hand, Fury Road...

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Ah, so the movie studios are going to start helping the music studios campaign against the effects of that law.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Apparently a stupid thing about that change is that you have to be on top of it when those 35 years are up because creators only have like 5 years to get their rights back.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

He should do a completely faithful translation of the Scarlet Gospels and see if he can get Scott Bakula to star.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

All I can think of is the bit from Deuce Bigelow.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Apparently a stupid thing about that change is that you have to be on top of it when those 35 years are up because creators only have like 5 years to get their rights back.

can you get rights sniped?

Oh whoops some dude in India snatched up Hellraiser and cast himself as Pinhead

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Hellraiser 12: Predator 5

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
They even stopped using Doug Bradley in the most recent movies, not to mention how many of the sequels started out as another script and then had Pinhead shoehorned into it.

Also, that copyright law is why anything related to Friday the 13th has been held up recently, including movies and the fact that all support and DLC was dropped from the video game. Victor Miller jumped on that poo poo as soon as he could because he's maintained for decades that he was screwed out of how much money he was entitled to considering he created the loving characters.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Collapsing Farts posted:

There literally are no decent hellraiser flicks, though?

(theyre all bad)

Good concept for a horror but jeesh, the movies suck

Wrong, Hellraiser 1 and 2 are fantastic horror films and the rest of the franchise is trash. Especially Hellworld. God that movie loving sucked so hard. How do you manage to gently caress up a Hellraiser movie with Lance Henriksen and Doug Bradley? Watch Hellworld to find out! Or don't because it's loving awful.

I'm very happy to hear Clive is getting the rights back to his works and I hope the HBO series for Hellraiser is good like the Nightbreed series that Showtime(?) is doing. Dude has incredibly creative vision and hopefully now that special effects have caught up we might get some really amazing stuff.

:colbert: Rawhead Rex is rules however and I love that big dumb Gwar looking idiot monster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Alan Smithee posted:

can you get rights sniped?

Oh whoops some dude in India snatched up Hellraiser and cast himself as Pinhead

No, it is specifically for the original creator/their estate.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

They even stopped using Doug Bradley in the most recent movies, not to mention how many of the sequels started out as another script and then had Pinhead shoehorned into it.

Also, that copyright law is why anything related to Friday the 13th has been held up recently, including movies and the fact that all support and DLC was dropped from the video game. Victor Miller jumped on that poo poo as soon as he could because he's maintained for decades that he was screwed out of how much money he was entitled to considering he created the loving characters.

It is a little muddy because Sean Cunningham (who directed/produced the first movie) says that Miller's draft barely has anything to do with the finished product.