Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I still don't have an xboxsex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
This 'Unto The End' game is coming to gamepass next week, I think it looks quite good. I tried it out at a gameshow back in the old world and it seemed interesting. Definitely going to try it out, its free afterall :smug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTLN3pLB1Vk

There's a new dashboard update coming too, so you can pre-load upcoming gamepass games which is a nice touch for some of those giant titles

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-12-01-first-xbox-series-x-s-update-adds-more-dynamic-backgrounds-game-pass-preloading

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer

barnold posted:

this. it's like rooting an android. the potential cons far outweigh the pros and I 100% am going to laugh at someone who bricks their poo poo. fool's errand.

don't root your android, and don't install Insider builds (unless you have a really really good reason why, but unlike rooting there is legitimately zero benefit to installing an Insider build)

This is a dumb take. Google doesn't put out an app that says hey sign up for a rooted phone and here's all the cool features and games you'll get to try out. They explicitly warn you a million times that your phone might get screwed if you do this.

Xbox Insider is more like Tesla Autopilot where the company is actively promoting a feature that if used as marketed can easily break your device in non obvious ways (can't flash back to public builds? really?) and you're SOL with support. It's some shady poo poo.

FWIW the repair shop's proposed solution was "buy a PlayStation" as they're much easier to recover.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Crafty posted:

There's a new dashboard update coming too, so you can pre-load upcoming gamepass games which is a nice touch for some of those giant titles

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-12-01-first-xbox-series-x-s-update-adds-more-dynamic-backgrounds-game-pass-preloading

I think you can already pre-load on game pass? I have DQ pre-loaded since last week.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Evil Robot posted:

This is a dumb take. Google doesn't put out an app that says hey sign up for a rooted phone and here's all the cool features and games you'll get to try out. They explicitly warn you a million times that your phone might get screwed if you do this.

Xbox Insider is more like Tesla Autopilot where the company is actively promoting a feature that if used as marketed can easily break your device in non obvious ways (can't flash back to public builds? really?) and you're SOL with support. It's some shady poo poo.

FWIW the repair shop's proposed solution was "buy a PlayStation" as they're much easier to recover.

You can rationalize your complete lack of due diligence however you like but the Xbox Insider page literally says this in the first paragraph:

quote:

Thank you for joining the Xbox Insider Program (“Program”). By choosing Accept, you’re telling us that you’re eligible to participate under the terms of the Microsoft Service Agreement and willing to access and participate in previewing and providing feedback on Xbox content before it is rolled out to the general public. Please note that Program updates may not be as stable as the general public release and may temporarily cause diminished or lost functionality.

I have way more experience with the Insider program than you do and I have never seen MS advertise or market the program the way you describe it, so whatever point you're talking about w/r/t Tesla is equally dumb and makes zero sense. The only thing I've ever seen advertised as an Insider perk is the Minecraft beta from like three years ago, and you didn't even need to sign up for the console OS preview rings to do that, all you had to do was open the Insider app and click the link to open the beta page in the Store.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME

barnold posted:

You can rationalize your complete lack of due diligence however you like but the Xbox Insider page literally says this in the first paragraph:

I have way more experience with the Insider program than you do and I have never seen MS advertise or market the program the way you describe it, so whatever point you're talking about w/r/t Tesla is equally dumb and makes zero sense. The only thing I've ever seen advertised as an Insider perk is the Minecraft beta from like three years ago, and you didn't even need to sign up for the console OS preview rings to do that, all you had to do was open the Insider app and click the link to open the beta page in the Store.

Good to know "temporarily cause diminished or lost functionality" also extends to "you're temporarily out of a console until you pay us to fix it" in your mind.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

buttchugging adderall posted:

Good to know "temporarily cause diminished or lost functionality" also extends to "you're temporarily out of a console until you pay us to fix it" in your mind.

It does when combined with negligence on the user's part when they kept the console offline for several months and refused to install the subsequent system updates while enrolled in a program that expects users to update as soon as a new build is pushed, which they already admitted to. Do you think Microsoft designed the system to prompt you to update on boot just for their own health? Or maybe, just maybe, do you think that there might be some importance to staying up-to-date?

The only thing I'll fault Microsoft for is not hard-locking Insiders out of the console with out of date builds like they do with Windows 10. They should provide a method for users to perform an offline update of Insider builds and prevent outdated consoles from booting until the user updates the console manually or unenrolls from the program. I'll meet you in the middle on that one.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME

barnold posted:

It does when combined with negligence on the user's part when they kept the console offline for several months and refused to install the subsequent system updates while enrolled in a program that expects users to update as soon as a new build is pushed, which they already admitted to. Do you think Microsoft designed the system to prompt you to update on boot just for their own health? Or maybe, just maybe, do you think that there might be some importance to staying up-to-date?

The only thing I'll fault Microsoft for is not hard-locking Insiders out of the console with out of date builds like they do with Windows 10. They should provide a method for users to perform an offline update of Insider builds and prevent outdated consoles from booting until the user updates the console manually or unenrolls from the program. I'll meet you in the middle on that one.

Good to know that users who happen to not turn their consoles on for a few months deserve scorn, blame, and a busted console.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do you have to be connected via ethernet for dev mode to get xbox live?

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

how many more posts can you start with "good to know" lol we're reaching critical mass here. but the answer is when you're enrolled in the Insider program, yes. you keep talking like we're discussing regular RTM system updates. we're talking about Insider updates. please try to keep up. if you don't want to keep your console up to date, don't enroll in the Insider program. it's very simple.

anyway this whole topic is dumb. when the gently caress are we getting Bugsnax on this goddamn system

Empress Brosephine posted:

Do you have to be connected via ethernet for dev mode to get xbox live?

not as far as I know, the support page doesn't mention anything about ethernet so you should be good on wifi!

barnold fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 2, 2020

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

barnold posted:

anyway this whole topic is dumb. when the gently caress are we getting Bugsnax on this goddamn system

never, buy a PS5

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Bugsnax kinda sucks

The indie you want is the pathless imo

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME

barnold posted:

how many more posts can you start with "good to know" lol we're reaching critical mass here. but the answer is when you're enrolled in the Insider program, yes. you keep talking like we're discussing regular RTM system updates. we're talking about Insider updates. please try to keep up. if you don't want to keep your console up to date, don't enroll in the Insider program. it's very simple.

Good to know you also don't like it when people treat you with condescension, maybe you should re-read your previous posts and re-think your bad posting.

Why does MS not have a proper recovery mode so that the system can just rewrite itself entirely? This is possible with a USB drive or DVD on Windows.

Why does the insider program not force users to apply updates in order if that's important for the system to keep working?

Also I'm of the opinion that a "beta" track of software shouldn't allow the user to brick their system into a completely unrecoverable state. Try to keep up.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

never, buy a PS5

true to the last three console generations, I will buy the Xbox first and inevitably end up with a PS5 a year or two later. then when everyone's talking about the hot new thing I'm going to come in with a hot take everyone already discussed two hundred pages ago

Real hurthling! posted:

Bugsnax kinda sucks

The indie you want is the pathless imo

had never heard of this game until this post and it actually looks like it loving owns, thanks for the heads up

buttchugging adderall posted:

Good to know you also don't like it when people treat you with condescension, maybe you should re-read your previous posts and re-think your bad posting.

:qqsay:

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

if you're extra special and send in high quality qa reports for free you get in the alpha insider program, it's negligent of users to not spend their free time helping improve the system for everyone

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah the pathless owns

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Bugsnax is free for a reason, it's bad. Even the voice acting is not good.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

also I had to drop some work stuff off at a buddy's house the other day and got to handle the new controller. while I love the textured grips and stuff, I have to say, I don't like that it's slightly smaller. I have hulk hands with long stupid piano fingers and it feels like I have to do finger gymnastics to get it to sit right in my hand. I think once I actually use it to play games and not just fondle it, it will feel much nicer, but I'm rooting for another one of those Duke re-releases but wireless this time

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

pathless looks class, thanks for the heads up

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Shammypants posted:

Bugsnax is free for a reason, it's bad. Even the voice acting is not good.

No judgement on gay, depressed walrus couples trying to get over their problems with drugs and work it out. im all for it.
thats not the plot i was expecting when i launched the cartoon insect catching game tho.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

No judgement on gay, depressed walrus couples trying to get over their problems with drugs and work it out.

:eyepop:

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Real hurthling! posted:

No judgement on gay, depressed walrus couples trying to get over their problems with drugs and work it out. im all for it.
thats not the plot i was expecting when i launched the cartoon insect catching game tho.

I haven't played it yet but is that a thing? They sorely missed the mark on their marketing and would have played this before Miles Morales.

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer

barnold posted:

It does when combined with negligence on the user's part when they kept the console offline for several months and refused to install the subsequent system updates while enrolled in a program that expects users to update as soon as a new build is pushed, which they already admitted to.

Lots of exaggerations and misinterpretations about what I said here. I use the console regularly with it sometimes going a few weeks or up to a month without usage. It's not kept offline manually; I just use energy saver and turn it off like a normal appliance. I also didn't refuse to install the system updates, I installed all of them and got bricked. Microsoft can defend itself; it's a big boy :).

On topic, I'm excited to pay Control on console when that drops tomorrow.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Evil Robot posted:

On topic, I'm excited to pay Control on console when that drops tomorrow.

let us know how it is, my coworkers have been fawning over it all year. I never really had much interest in it but if it's good on Xbox, I might consider buying it and seeing what all the hype is about

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It's OK, decent shooter with good design.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Bugsnax might drop on other platforms in November 2021, assuming there's the usual timed exclusivity with Epic and Sony.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks for help I got it connected although nothing wants to load off of USB, which is a bummer.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

jabro posted:

I haven't played it yet but is that a thing? They sorely missed the mark on their marketing and would have played this before Miles Morales.

Yah

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Thanks for help I got it connected although nothing wants to load off of USB, which is a bummer.

Unfortunately this is due to a limitation of the dev mode, stuff has to be loaded onto the internal storage to run. It is a pretty big bummer but I'm hoping that maybe MS sees the interest in dev mode and tweaks it a little? Probably not very likely at all but I can dream

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

barnold posted:

let us know how it is, my coworkers have been fawning over it all year. I never really had much interest in it but if it's good on Xbox, I might consider buying it and seeing what all the hype is about

The game is amazing. If it’s not my favorite game this year it’ll definitely be the one that stands out the most.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Makes sense. Is the only way to ftp over via the pc or is there a file browser for the system?

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

John F Bennett posted:

I think you can already pre-load on game pass? I have DQ pre-loaded since last week.

You can download any game to your console via the Xbox (not Game Pass) mobile app and probably the Windows app too without requiring its ownership. It's pretty cool because it lets you e.g. preload upcoming Game Pass games or physical games you ordered online or whatever.

Zat fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Dec 2, 2020

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Makes sense. Is the only way to ftp over via the pc or is there a file browser for the system?

It's kind of like FTP but not really, you have to open the Dev Portal in your web browser on a computer, link it to your dev console, and then it will allow you to add apps and games through that browser interface. There's a guide here: https://digiex.net/threads/xbox-one-install-apps-games-and-emulators-in-dev-mode-universal-windows-platform-uwp-apps.15123/

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sweet thanks

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Zat posted:

You can download any game to your console via the Xbox (not Game Pass) mobile app and probably the Windows app too without requiring its ownership. It's pretty cool because it lets you e.g. preload upcoming Game Pass games or physical games you ordered online or whatever.

Oh that's right, I did preload through my phone.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
It seems that Gamepass really ate into DMCV's Xbox One sales.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

punk rebel ecks posted:

install base is probably a bigger factor

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

punk rebel ecks posted:

I wonder how much MS paid to have DMCV available on Game Pass. You think it would be enough to offset the difference in potential sales numbers?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

teagone posted:

I wonder how much MS paid to have DMCV available on Game Pass. You think it would be enough to offset the difference in potential sales numbers?

i don't remember where i heard it but i remember hearing ms gave capcom like 14 million for some game to come to gamepass and stadia gave some other dev 12 million to make a port so 10-15 million is probably a good working figure for getting a AAA game onto your game service while it is still relevant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Real hurthling! posted:

install base is probably a bigger factor

The PS4 outnumbers the Xbox One 2 to 1 in the West. It may be half the story but not all of it.