Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

All of this stuff is so nuts and it's amazing how "We don't want to pay your salary" can be used as a cudgel against Rosario in arb. Nobody wanted to trade for him, so they put him on waivers, but that means every team knows there's still a decent chance he gets non-tendered so they can sign him for cheaper and all of this is somehow proof he's "overpaid" :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

this week on twitter I learned that Omar Vizquel was a better defensive SS than Ozzie Smith because he played 5 more years and had the highest fielding percentage ever

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

Spoeank posted:

I forgot which thread I clicked on and I thought former Cavaliers center Zydrunas Ilgauskas tried a second career as a minor league pitcher for a second
I spent awhile trying to figure out just how much perceived velocity a pitcher would gain from being 7’3”.

I didn’t get there but if Ilgauskas was a pitcher and his extension was 115% of his height, the ball would be a little more than 52 feet away from the plate when he let go. Most pitchers are around the 54 foot mark, I think.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1334202123152728068

Not that this is surprising. Would like to see him get right.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The notion that the Yankees were gonna non-tender Sanchez was really a weird angle for NY sports talk these last couple of weeks.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

STAC Goat posted:

The notion that the Yankees were gonna non-tender Sanchez was really a weird angle for NY sports talk these last couple of weeks.

Depends on how much you believe their annoying cries of poverty.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Johan Camargo agrees to $1.36m, avoiding arbitration with Atlanta.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

secular woods sex posted:

I spent awhile trying to figure out just how much perceived velocity a pitcher would gain from being 7’3”.

I didn’t get there but if Ilgauskas was a pitcher and his extension was 115% of his height, the ball would be a little more than 52 feet away from the plate when he let go. Most pitchers are around the 54 foot mark, I think.

I guess best case is you get Randy Johnson but even more terrifyingly hard to track when he's delivering the ball.

6' 10" Chris Young apparently picked up ~6mph of perceived velocity back in 2009 with a release point under 50' from the plate, but getting to that required some frame-by-frame video slicing so who knows how generalizable any of that is.

EDIT: Here's an article that says each foot of extension gives you 1.67mph of perceived velo on your FB based on 2020 numbers.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Dec 2, 2020

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.

bawfuls posted:

this week on twitter I learned that Omar Vizquel was a better defensive SS than Ozzie Smith because he played 5 more years and had the highest fielding percentage ever

from what i understand fielding percentage is a *really* bad way to measure defensive ability, no?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Jon Rauch was 6'10" and absolutely terrible and not even very fast so height alone isn't enough

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Tweezer Reprise posted:

from what i understand fielding percentage is a *really* bad way to measure defensive ability, no?
yes it's trash but don't tell that to Venezuelan superfans of Omar Vizquel

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Julio Cruz posted:

Jon Rauch was 6'10" and absolutely terrible and not even very fast so height alone isn't enough

Height alone isn't enough, and taller doesn't even necessarily mean larger extension (although obviously it does generally correlate.)

It's still fun to think about, though.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Cubs non-tender Martinez, which means they traded a mid-level prospect for a guy who went 0-21 for them this season, and then got cut. :lol::lol::lol:

Also picked up some guy named Robert Stock off waivers from the Red Sox, no idea who that is.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sydin posted:

Cubs non-tender Martinez, which means they traded a mid-level prospect for a guy who went 0-21 for them this season, and then got cut. :lol::lol::lol:

Also picked up some guy named Robert Stock off waivers from the Red Sox, no idea who that is.

Amazing how quickly Martinez went from A Dude to nothing.

Robert Stock is a pro follow on Twitter and he can throw hard.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
MLB is surveying all employees across the league about baseball so I will make sure to tell them that everybody wants Universal DH and that the Astros should be removed from the league

edit: lol the first option for "If you could recommend one change to make the game of baseball more appealing, what would it be?" is "Faster Paced." Manfred will not be denied

Poque fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Dec 2, 2020

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Poque posted:

MLB is surveying all employees across the league about baseball so I will make sure to tell them that everybody wants Universal DH and that the Astros should be removed from the league

submit these proposals to the league:

- players can opt to use a -10 bat, but if they do, they can no longer use a glove
- managers can choose who they want to send to the plate for a given at bat, but have to use all 9 hitters before one can hit again

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Inspector_666 posted:

So is his wife

https://twitter.com/sara__stock/status/1300995825330511875

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Blue Jays apparently trying to trade for Jean Segura for some reaon

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Inspector_666 posted:

I can get behind this.

Poque posted:

edit: lol the first option for "If you could recommend one change to make the game of baseball more appealing, what would it be?" is "Faster Paced." Manfred will not be denied

Other (Please Specify):
New Commissioner

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
there's literally a quiz at the end to name players based on their faces and tbh I feel like it's more productive if I get these wrong

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Poque posted:

I will accept A) if it means we also get B)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Sydin posted:

I can get behind this.

Other (Please Specify):
New Commissioner
*monkey paw curls*

“Congratulations to new MLB Commissioner George W Bush”

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/Rotoworld_BB/st...671b8c06df9395c

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Glad that new TV network money is going to good use.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Blue Jays apparently trying to trade for Jean Segura for some reaon

The Jays have a boatload of money to spend so every conceivable move will be tied to them at some point.

lol

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

I need a minute.

gently caress 2020 sideways with a flaming hot cactus.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Bye Schwarbs.
HELLO ROBERT STOCK, I AM SO EXCITED.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Jays really need to add Kyle to their collection of beefy lads. Although Vlad is seemingly in shape according to his cousin constantly posting Vlad's workout vids.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The Almora non-tender was a long time coming, even at his ludicrously low arb projection. Dude has flat out been one of the worst hitters in baseball since the 2018 ASB and his defense is good but not good enough to justify that. It sucks and I hope he can find another team and carve out a role, but he kinda had to go.

The Schwarber non-tender is dumb as poo poo. Yeah he sucked massively this year but the same can be said for a ton of other hitters and outside of this year he has been a career 2-3 WAR guy. Where the gently caress are the Cubs going to find that on the market for $7-8M outside of insane luck?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Sydin posted:

The Schwarber non-tender is dumb as poo poo. Yeah he sucked massively this year but the same can be said for a ton of other hitters and outside of this year he has been a career 2-3 WAR guy. Where the gently caress are the Cubs going to find that on the market for $7-8M outside of insane luck?

They aren't. Ricketts won his title and can now go and make money. Locked in a TV deal for everyone in Chicago to pay an extra $5/month on their cable bill and he can cash checks living off that 2016 nostalgia for another decade.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Sydin posted:

his career high in WAR is 2.1

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Julio Cruz posted:

his career high in WAR is 2.1

???

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

I don't know how Fangraphs are doing their math but they have him as positive WAR for this last season so I'm taking their numbers with a few pounds of salt

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
bWAR hates Schwarber because of his bad defense. I have no idea what is going on with the fWAR 2020 numbers though, yeah.

Anyway, more blood for the blood god:

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1334256488454500352

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

The Jays really need to add Kyle to their collection of beefy lads. Although Vlad is seemingly in shape according to his cousin constantly posting Vlad's workout vids.

No thank you. We have enough dudes who are liabilities in the field.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Sydin posted:

bWAR hates Schwarber because of his bad defense. I have no idea what is going on with the fWAR 2020 numbers though, yeah.

Anyway, more blood for the blood god:

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1334256488454500352

put this in the time machine back to 2014 and blow some minds

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Welp, time to reset my "number of current Cubs I've run into at Noodles & Company" to zero.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Braves non-tendered Adam Duvall, hope he gets paid somewhere off the back of those three-dong games.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

those motherfuckers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

What exactly happened to Mazara? I know he just kind of fell off a cliff.