Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
First intercontinental champion
Fantastic In Ring and Outside the ring talent
Inventor of the Royal Rumble
Genius mind for the business
Made Hulk Hogan and The Ultimate Warrior
LGBT Icon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Didn't he help cover for that rapist that worked for them?

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
gently caress Pat Patterson

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

There are two things i can’t stand: intolerance and french canadians

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos
pat patterson lmao

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

The OP so sarcastic it nearly wraps the whole way around

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The Royal Rumble is pretty great, ngl

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

The two immediate things I think of when it comes to pat outside of anything ring boy related is:

https://twitter.com/HulkaMatt/status/1266025051314434054

And also when he did a sit down with Bret Hart on some WWE ON DEMAND ROUND TABLE. IIRC Bret talked up the Mongolian stomper as the best Canadian wrestler. Pat thought this was ridiculous and argued. Bret goes “well who do you think it is?” And pat just kinda stammers “well... you, Bret!!!” Thought that was funny.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Also I cannot lie, I will forever be amused by the description of crowds going TOTALLY BANANA (sic). If this makes me a bad person I'm sorry

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

why did he say rawkishi anyway. the southern way to say rikishi is ruh kaye shee

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Cavauro posted:

why did he say rawkishi anyway. the southern way to say rikishi is ruh kaye shee

I have always wondered the same thing

I'm glad I'm not alone

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
because it was bawston not southern

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

We are back live on raw and I can’t WAIT to see this. Raw-kishis... 424 pound rear end.. will be in Pat Patterson’s face before ya know it!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Pat Patterson is a complex individual, he was an out pro wrestler in a time where it was very hard to be out for anyone. He was obviously a great wrestler and a great creative mind. He also faced some gross false accusations about how conduct from Murray Hodgson due to being an out wrestler and an easy target.

But he also sexually harassed people including teenagers. Most wrestlers would say this was him "ribbing" them but well, that doesn't change the fact he did it!

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MassRafTer posted:

Pat Patterson is a complex individual, he was an out pro wrestler in a time where it was very hard to be out for anyone. He was obviously a great wrestler and a great creative mind. He also faced some gross false accusations about how conduct from Murray Hodgson due to being an out wrestler and an easy target.

But he also sexually harassed people including teenagers. Most wrestlers would say this was him "ribbing" them but well, that doesn't change the fact he did it!

Okay so I wasn't nuts in thinking some of the allegations he faced were falsified? For a minute I got really confused because I was like "wasn't that disproven?" until I realized there were different sets of allegations.

Dammit Pat, you could have been so cool otherwise. :(

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYQawT9DyKw

Dangerous Person posted:

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

loving HELL I forgot about this clip.

Jesus Christ.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MassRafTer posted:

Nonetheless that’s still a hell of a lot different from people saying he raped or molested people. So basically Pat did some gross poo poo, but super far to the one end of the scale with Mel Phillips and Terry Garvin on the other end. I’m not excusing it, I just want to be clear on what is genuinely considered credible vs not.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

loving HELL I forgot about this clip.

Jesus Christ.

FWIW Roddy then said that it wasn’t the case shortly afterward. :iiam:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Nonetheless that’s still a hell of a lot different from people saying he raped or molested people. So basically Pat did some gross poo poo, but super far to the one end of the scale with Mel Phillips and Terry Garvin on the other end. I’m not excusing it, I just want to be clear on what is genuinely considered credible vs not.

He was friends with Garvin and got him hired.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vince MechMahon posted:

He was friends with Garvin and got him hired.

Doesn’t mean he was aware. I mean Kenny Omega got a convicted child molester hired for a NJPW sponsored show. I don’t recall if Omega was ever truly aware of that though.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Okay so I wasn't nuts in thinking some of the allegations he faced were falsified? For a minute I got really confused because I was like "wasn't that disproven?" until I realized there were different sets of allegations.

Dammit Pat, you could have been so cool otherwise. :(

Yes, the Murray allegation that was on the tabloid media was in all likelihood fake. Murray had tried this type of scam with other people.

Tom Hankins claimed he asked Pat about getting a job with WWE and Pat told him the only way that would happen is if Tom had sex with him, Tom refused. There doesn't seem to be any doubt that this incident happened, and wrestlers who Meltzer talked to seemed to defend it by saying Pat was joking.

Tom Cole claimed that Pat would grope and make sexually suggestive gestures towards him as a teenager. Tom Cole had way less animosity towards Pat than towards Phillips or Garvin, so you can probably give it the benefit of the doubt that Pat liked making people really uncomfortable to amuse himself and wasn't trying to molest people the way Mel Phillips was. Still hosed up!

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MassRafTer posted:

Yes, the Murray allegation that was on the tabloid media was in all likelihood fake. Murray had tried this type of scam with other people.

Tom Hankins claimed he asked Pat about getting a job with WWE and Pat told him the only way that would happen is if Tom had sex with him, Tom refused. There doesn't seem to be any doubt that this incident happened, and wrestlers who Meltzer talked to seemed to defend it by saying Pat was joking.

Tom Cole claimed that Pat would grope and make sexually suggestive gestures towards him as a teenager. Tom Cole had way less animosity towards Pat than towards Phillips or Garvin, so you can probably give it the benefit of the doubt that Pat liked making people really uncomfortable to amuse himself and wasn't trying to molest people the way Mel Phillips was. Still hosed up!

Thanks for the edification. Makes me wonder if the non-ribbing "ribbing" type poo poo is what happened with Roddy.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Rest In Peace Immortan Joe. Pat Patterson can eat my poo poo and hair.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Because there's certainly no stigma associated with coming forward about stuff like that. Not a bit. Especially not in wrestling, wherein the alleged abuser is like, literally Vince's best friend. Nope.

Not saying it couldn't have just been Roddy being strange about something else, but I dunno if I take him at his word that it didn't happen with all the other variables at play here.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MassRafTer posted:

Thank you for the clarification. That goes a long way to explaining things.

Unfortunately gross things in wrestling seemed to have been very common and far more tolerated then now. I mean the Tojo Yamamoto blowjob “prank” story Cornette has told is super hosed up.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Because there's certainly no stigma associated with coming forward about stuff like that. Not a bit. Especially not in wrestling, wherein the alleged abuser is like, literally Vince's best friend. Nope.

Not saying it couldn't have just been Roddy being strange about something else, but I dunno if I take him at his word that it didn't happen with all the other variables at play here.

Like I said it’s very odd and there really isn’t a good clear answer for it. If I remember Roddy does indicate when he was young and homeless, people tried sexually assaulting him, but barring some clear documentary evidence, it’s likely to remain that way barring hearsay. Honestly the whole interview is kind of odd if I remember, mostly in that Roddy wasn’t giving clear answers and kind of drifting for everything. I dunno maybe he was just hungover or high.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Dec 2, 2020

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

MassRafTer posted:

Also:

* Barry Orton's allegation that, pre-WWF, Patterson and Garvin both groped him on a road trip in the Amarillo territory when he was 19.

* "Karate Kid" Chris Dube's allegation that Patterson, his superior, flirted with him in a way that made him uncomfortable.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Pat's legacy is definitely a complex one and I'm sure similar to one many people will struggle with as we come up to the death of many 70s and 80s rock stars. His own personal conduct is less offensive than many, and seems mild compared to the worst, but there are also the institutional issues that crop up as he was an executive in the WWF.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MassRafTer posted:

Pat's legacy is definitely a complex one and I'm sure similar to one many people will struggle with as we come up to the death of many 70s and 80s rock stars. His own personal conduct is less offensive than many, and seems mild compared to the worst, but there are also the institutional issues that crop up as he was an executive in the WWF.

I think that’s a fair evaluation...and lord knows when Jagger and Page (among others) go it’s going to either be really uncomfortable or Kobe’d.

And I know I’ve been harping on it a bit, but I can’t help but wonder how much would have even come out or cared how it not been for Garvin/Phillips (a catalyst) and if Pat had been straight.

Related to his executive role, and not to excuse it, but has anyone at the company since Vince took over, besides say active Wrestlers, been powerful enough to overrule Vince on anything? Honestly I wonder if even Jerry McDivitt can do it (funny enough he has appeared on a podcast, but I never listened to it)...and he absolutely knows where all the bodies are buried.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
he's intimidating young men into sucking his penis in heaven, now

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Seth Rollins posted:

he's intimidating young men into sucking his penis in heaven, now

He was catholic?

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!

Shinjobi posted:

He was catholic?

French Canadian, so probably

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

David Bowie is still renowned as a god in spite of the fact that he was a paedophile.

While he did make some of the greatest albums ever made, he still had sex with at least one fourteen-year-old, and people willingly overlook that because his music was so loving good.

The same is going to happen with all the paedophile rock gods who'll die over the next decade. God knows, it already happened to John Peel.

Anyway, it'll probably happen to Pat Patterson too, because he was so prolific and all that poo poo. gently caress him tho. Fucker was complicit in the Ring Boy Scandal and all the other abuses in the Fed at that time.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I have never seen a Pat Paterson match are they even good? Old Gerald Brisco matches were good.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Venomous posted:

David Bowie is still renowned as a god in spite of the fact that he was a paedophile.

While he did make some of the greatest albums ever made, he still had sex with at least one fourteen-year-old, and people willingly overlook that because his music was so loving good.

The same is going to happen with all the paedophile rock gods who'll die over the next decade. God knows, it already happened to John Peel.

Anyway, it'll probably happen to Pat Patterson too, because he was so prolific and all that poo poo. gently caress him tho. Fucker was complicit in the Ring Boy Scandal and all the other abuses in the Fed at that time.

Pat Patterson isn't the Bowie of wrestling. Maybe not even the Peter Schilling of wrestling, IMHO.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Vince MechMahon posted:

Pat Patterson isn't the Bowie of wrestling. Maybe not even the Peter Schilling of wrestling, IMHO.

Oh gently caress no. He's the Cliff Richard of wrestling

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NienNunb posted:

I have never seen a Pat Paterson match are they even good? Old Gerald Brisco matches were good.

Pat Patterson was in one of the best tag teams of all time and was a very good singles wrestler as well. Sadly little of his team with Ray Stevens exists but more of his singles career is out there like the matches with Slaughter.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

ah yes, apparently Patterson/Slaughter was one of the greatest matches of all time up to that point. Never got into it myself but w/e
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrV4XaCuGP4

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

oh lmao I didn't actually grok that Pat Patterson was dead before now. Good riddance tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I always got the impression that the truth was in the middle, pretty much Pat did some awful things but the actual details are murky and unclear because of time, a lot of people being dishonest, and other accusations that were false.