Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

There's also a few factions and quests. The Tacoma Commune is the most probable way you could justify there being some kind of sustainable bastion of humanity's dregs. Maybe if you do enough quests for them (or some other faction, I know that HUB01 is going to be expanded, and a faction of planehopping refugees are being worked on too) will factor into your "retirement".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Id settle for you jpining a settlement and "retiring" with a leadership role, as the survivors eek out an existance in the new reality they face. Cue pic of settlement bunker surrounded by thriving farmland and gg

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

yeah but that settlement is eventually gonna be eaten up by something. The end game needs to be a half life style shut down the dimensional tear thing IMO.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

True, didnt even think of that. Severing the tear would be ideal

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

yeah but that settlement is eventually gonna be eaten up by something. The end game needs to be a half life style shut down the dimensional tear thing IMO.

Possibly involving building a decataclysmator from various scientific gubbins then having to defend it against waves of attackers for (x) days. Gives a purpose to your base full of armed survivors and rings of static defences, or alternatively you can try to go mobile and stay ahead of everything coming to kill you while the timer ticks down.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
A defense aspect would be, eh, since you could realtively easily make a ring of solar powered laser turrets.

I'd be happy with a "Craft a SCIENCE BOMB and fight your way into the rift, planting it at the correct spot, and attempt to fight your way back before it detonates with science."

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

Maybe a final base-building mission to take over a Missile Silo, repurpose one of the Lab Finale portal machines and gather the gear you need to delve into not-Xen and plant a homing beacon or w/e.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Telsa Cola posted:

A defense aspect would be, eh, since you could realtively easily make a ring of solar powered laser turrets..

That's not going to be anywhere near enough.

I'm picturing this as a win condition for those who've spent all game basebuilding and want to give their totally excessive defence-in-depth a purpose.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

The Lone Badger posted:

That's not going to be anywhere near enough.

I'm picturing this as a win condition for those who've spent all game basebuilding and want to give their totally excessive defence-in-depth a purpose.

I should clarify, I'm talking about using a stationary, small vehicle as each turret. Anyways

With how lasers and mounted weapons work its likely more than enough.

They are easy enough to slap together, have pretty great accuracy, and have infinite ammo if you balance solar and batteries well enough

They have middling to pretty decent damage, and they don't experince recoil.

I really, really struggle to see an scenario where 10-15 or so of these in a circle with say, pits and a fence between them and the rift doesnt absolutely shred whatever comes through it. I suppose you could drop 60 shoggoths through the rift but my money is on still being suprised with how quickly those lasers chew through shoggoths.

Edit: I went through and changed this to reflect the options available on the item viewer, since my game is so mod heavy. It's less overpowered but still 100% viable. The limiting factor is getting the laser gun since in vanilla you can't just craft a bunch of UPS rifles.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Dec 2, 2020

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Does anybody have a link to a good tutorial on the base building thing?

I tried it once but couldn't really do anything.

Reached the point in my game where I have a death wagon with automated laser death cannons. Need something to work towards.

Also what is a good source of solar panels?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Jarf posted:

I tried it once but couldn't really do anything.

Reached the point in my game where I have a death wagon with automated laser death cannons. Need something to work towards.

Also what is a good source of solar panels?

Roof tops sometimes have solar panels on them, so if you find a ladder/drainpipe check it out. Might be a mod thing though.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Dec 2, 2020

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

Leal posted:

You can use the zones system to set up zones that are unsorted and throw stuff in it or set up your vehicle's storage as unsorted, then place zones for ammo, clothes, etc. and tell your followers to sort and they'll do all the moving for you. You can also set up vehicle repair or dismantle zones, put a toolbox and parts nearby and have them do repairs or take apart vehicles for you. You can set up construction zones and have them do the construction instead.

Oh and don't toss your skill books when you finish with them, your followers can also read them to gain skills.

Thanks for the help. So far I've managed to get my follower to teach me some skills, and also I've taught him some skills as well.

If I set up an unsorted loot zone and various categories of loot zones, they'll just move everything for me after I give the command? That's pretty useful.

Likewise, if I want a car completely deconstructed, could I just drop off a set of tools next to the car, use the deconstruct zone, and tell an NPC to get to work? What happens if I'm not nearby when they finish? Do NPCs have their own reality bubble, or how exactly do things work when I'm not nearby?

Finally, I noticed you can give a wide variety of combat options to an NPC, and also give them gear. I gave my old steel spear (currently using a naginata for melee) to my NPC, and he decided to use it as a weapon. After that I gave him a pistol, which I wanted him to use as a ranged option when I give him permission to use ranged weapons, but instead he just dropped the spear on the ground and wielded the pistol. Now he won't take the spear back because he says the pistol is a better weapon. Is there a way to get an NPC to have multiple weapons and change them depending on the circumstances?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Telsa Cola posted:

Roof tops sometimes have solar panels on them, so if you find a ladder/drainpipe check it out. Might be a mod thing though.
Roofs do sometimes have basic solar panels in the vanilla version of the game and they should be at 100% condition when you dismantle them iirc. The other source are solar cars which sometimes can even have a few T2 panels. Lots of the panels will be damaged though and finding a solar car in pristine condition is rare and super great for you. Don't ditch the damaged panels btw. You can scrap them and afaik that's the only way to get the materials for making your own panels

Jarf posted:

I don't think that there is one but the gist is that you need at least one NPC to turn into your "foreman" through which you start the building process. Then you will need a metric gently caress ton of food and raw materials to get the stuff rolling. You can ask an NPC that follows you about the base stuff and they explain the basics I think

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Dec 2, 2020

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Evacuation shelters are guaranteed to have one. Office towers and apartment buildings will have several. Naturally, the second variety are a lot more dangerous to get to.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Yeah true. But a lot of stores in town can have one too. Checking roofs can be a fun endeavor btw. Once I found a lone migo hanging on a roof surrounded by some zombo corpses and another time I found an extremely advanced tech gun next to a wasp nest. Never found ammo for it iirc but that find made me remember to check roofs when I can afford it

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Stairmaster posted:

It doesn't need to be. The game already has in-game survivor shelters that will last forever if you don't do anything to change that.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
many bad ideas itt.

i like the way the game is and the way is going. the game has gone amazingly far since cooper release around when i started playing

Slaapaav fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 2, 2020

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Tin Tim posted:

Yeah true. But a lot of stores in town can have one too. Checking roofs can be a fun endeavor btw. Once I found a lone migo hanging on a roof surrounded by some zombo corpses and another time I found an extremely advanced tech gun next to a wasp nest. Never found ammo for it iirc but that find made me remember to check roofs when I can afford it

For some reason, high tech items spawn near the wasp nests you find in towns. Not in one's in the wilderness, though. Once got RM13 combat armor from wasps.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
gently caress my month old save got corrupted RIP

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

It seems like you wouldn't need an actual end to the game, just add a few extremely hard challenges to let the player feel like they have advanced enough to quit the save if they want.

In fact, it's the stupidest possible solution but just adding an achievement system would probably give players most of what they want.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

The Lone Badger posted:

Possibly involving building a decataclysmator from various scientific gubbins then having to defend it against waves of attackers for (x) days. Gives a purpose to your base full of armed survivors and rings of static defences, or alternatively you can try to go mobile and stay ahead of everything coming to kill you while the timer ticks down.

Would be kind of neat to have a device that eliminates the threat in a small area (maybe a 4x4 grid of map tiles). That way you can carve out areas of the map to slowly make the world more inhabitable and allow people to live in peace. Of course, you can then scale up the zombies as well, as they start to feel more and more threatened by the no-go zones.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Manager Hoyden posted:

In fact, it's the stupidest possible solution but just adding an achievement system would probably give players most of what they want.
There is literally already an achievement system.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Vib Rib posted:

There is literally already an achievement system.

How did I not know that. I have ever gotten a single achievement or even seen a section for achievements. Is this something in the experimentals or is it in the stable release?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Manager Hoyden posted:

How did I not know that. I have ever gotten a single achievement or even seen a section for achievements. Is this something in the experimentals or is it in the stable release?

Should be in the same window/tab thing as your kill count.

SpacePope
Nov 9, 2009

Pretty sure it's only in the experimentals.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The original "ending" I had planned for the reboot was, yeah, crossing the dimensional barrier and taking out some boss from each of the four various extradimensional factions. This was essentially going to be a one way trip to a final showdown of taking the fight to them.

It was going to be intentionally questionable whether this actually accomplished anything to help Earth (only the slime node has any real connection with its earthside infestation), but at least it would provide one final challenge to test yourself against, with different tactics needed for each enemy and world.

Unfortunately I am not a very good developer! I put some time into it, mostly the slime and triffid bosses and a bit of how you get into their worlds, but it just wasn't working the way I wanted, other stuff became a priority, and then I left the project and no one else really seemed interested in picking it up.

I'm not sure if the game really needs it, but I still think sometimes about going back and doing it. But I'm an even worse c++ programmer now than I was then!

If I did go back to work on things, I'd honestly put expanding on the Triffids as a higher priority for me though, those bits of the design docs were always my favorites.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
"Need" is a very subjective question .A lot of people just like having some sort of closure for characters with which they've spent a lot of time. The subject comes up often enough that it's clear there's an interest in it, even if not a lot of people have any real idea of what they'd want it to be, so long as they get to have it in some form.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

To harp on the whole "Lasers are amazing and they trivialize any defense situation."

In vanilla, a A7 rifle firing at a shoggoth on auto takes 3 seconds to kill it. The majority of that time is the first precision aim to acquire target and then you can basically just free fire the remaining salvos because it cannot move fast enough to require you to reaim, and you don't have to adjust for recoil.

Lasers are good.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 2, 2020

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Slaapaav posted:

gently caress my month old save got corrupted RIP

This is what's killed probably my three all-time best characters; usually when it tries to autosave in the middle of crafting or something, and something in the code goes *THUNK* and it loses track of what semi-crafted object or ingredients exists, and the whole save dies.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I can't find it at the moment, but there is a utility somewhere out there that can transfer your character and any vehicles you have into a new save. If I care enough about the progress I've made that's how I try to bounce back from a corrupted save.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You can move your character just by moving the character save file into a new World directory. Vehicles needs a utility.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

Wolfechu posted:

This is what's killed probably my three all-time best characters; usually when it tries to autosave in the middle of crafting or something, and something in the code goes *THUNK* and it loses track of what semi-crafted object or ingredients exists, and the whole save dies.

the newest experimental seems a lot better. weariness is so much better implemented its kinda awesome. also turtlenecks

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Slaapaav posted:

the newest experimental seems a lot better. weariness is so much better implemented its kinda awesome. also turtlenecks

Yeah, it's been a while since it happened, but I had a run of it happening back in the 0.D experimental days.

Nowadays my games end the traditional way - me being overconfident about a situation I'm sure I can handle rapidly going south.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I was hoping that 0.F will be out before Christmas so I can binge play it again this year but seems like it's more work that expected. Is the current state of experimental good enough? On GitHub they still have 29 confirmed blockers, that looks like late spring release at the earliest. And they started planning for it in August, wow.

SpacePope
Nov 9, 2009

I always play the experimental and it's usually fine. If there's some really massive bug, it often gets fixed in a couple days at most. Plus, you can always roll back to a previous experimental version using the launcher, if a new one gives you issues.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

lordfrikk posted:

I was hoping that 0.F will be out before Christmas so I can binge play it again this year but seems like it's more work that expected. Is the current state of experimental good enough? On GitHub they still have 29 confirmed blockers, that looks like late spring release at the earliest. And they started planning for it in August, wow.

I've liked playing the most recent experimental versions. There's a lot of things that make the gameplay more complicated, but there's also new things like functioning helicopters, a cool new hospital layout, and also significant expansions of both Aftershock and Magiclysm mods, both of which I like. For instance, there's now specialized augmentation clinics in Aftershock and a new shop type in Magiclysm that offers oodles of magic goodies.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Mr. Lobe posted:

I've liked playing the most recent experimental versions. There's a lot of things that make the gameplay more complicated, but there's also new things like functioning helicopters, a cool new hospital layout, and also significant expansions of both Aftershock and Magiclysm mods, both of which I like. For instance, there's now specialized augmentation clinics in Aftershock and a new shop type in Magiclysm that offers oodles of magic goodies.

Wait, what? You can build/find and fly helicopters now?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

PiCroft posted:

Wait, what? You can build/find and fly helicopters now?

Yep. Though I'm still waiting for the inevitable mod that will allow attaching wings to a superbike/car to make ill-advised aeroplanes.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I'm pretty sure you can't build helicopters. They exist in workable condition in a few important location types, and can be flown if you have the piloting experience background perk (I think Aftershock adds a CBM to install that knowledge Matrix-style in your head), but you can't build your own from scratch or even edit existing ones, at least not last time I checked. Then again that was a few months ago now and the development cycle has really been speeding up lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Insert “they fly now!?” meme

I’m now super curious how that looks given that being even 1 z level makes everything below you into a vague mishmash of colours. It’d probably be quite disorienting, unless they changed the Z level rendering.