Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Are PM-3s still findable at all? Really like mine, but seems like I got in right before Oppo decided to leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

A very confident jump into the planar pool.

Here's a thing I wish existed: A pair of closed planars with harman-ish tuning and great comfort around the $300 mark. I've been sorta thinking about the drop pandas, but I don't need them to be bluetooth. There's Argons but those are kind of their own category of thing, tuning-wise.

Yeah I figure if I hate them I can just resell them for close to how much I paid.

Judging by how ppl describe them relative to my favorite baby HD650, they will be a good fit for me.

Irukandji Syndrome
Dec 26, 2008
Hey, just wanted to give a big delayed thank-you to everyone who gave advice. I really really appreciate it. I'm going to go for the ATH-A990Z and hope they work for my friend. If not, I'll check out the AKGs. :shobon:

Thanks to BurritoJustice for the migraine med suggestions as well, I passed those on. Yall have been super helpful!

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

I came to this thread to ask about wireless earbuds since my new phone doesn't have a headphone jack (:argh:) and it looks like there was discussion about these on the previous page:

https://www.amazon.com//dp/B07T81554H/

Are these the thread recommended non-Apple ones?

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

owl_pellet posted:

I came to this thread to ask about wireless earbuds since my new phone doesn't have a headphone jack (:argh:) and it looks like there was discussion about these on the previous page:

https://www.amazon.com//dp/B07T81554H/

Are these the thread recommended non-Apple ones?

They're definitely my rec. Another option is getting a bluetooth headphone amp. The Fiio BTR5 is awesome. It has enough power for bigassfuckoff headphones.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I use a wireless headphone amp + KSC75.

Worth remembering actually wireless earbuds are unusable in freezing temperatures.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

What's the goon recommended gaming headphones?

Budget is ~50$.

Need a built-in mic that doesn't suck.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

appropriatemetaphor posted:

What's the goon recommended gaming headphones?

Budget is ~50$.

Need a built-in mic that doesn't suck.

I've had a good experience with the Corsair HS50 and it's currently on sale. Comfy and great mic, but it's a little bassy.

https://twitter.com/WirecutterDeals/status/1333480724247310336?s=20

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

morestuff posted:

I've had a good experience with the Corsair HS50 and it's currently on sale. Comfy and great mic, but it's a little bassy.

https://twitter.com/WirecutterDeals/status/1333480724247310336?s=20

dope, picked them up.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

If I wanted an upgrade from my Audeze Mobius to something that is open-back and had a stronger bass response for music listening, are there options to look at?

.Z. fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 2, 2020

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07X9W721J/

How is this for budget wireless headset cans?

I love my DT990s but I really need wireless instead.
edit: also how is this "7.1 audio" thing anyways

kind of thinking of this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0842W5QBC

White would match the rest of my aesthetic

or

https://www.amazon.com/SteelSeries-Arctis-7P-Wireless-Lossless-PlayStation/dp/B08H4YMC22

but 1-2 months is :negative:

edit: they're out of stock everywhere, grr

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Dec 2, 2020

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

.Z. posted:

If I wanted an upgrade from my Audeze Mobius to something that is open-back and had a stronger bass response for music listening, are there options to look at?

If you're open to the odd form factor, I'd look into the Audeze LCD i3.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I own a pair of wired headphones with a very similar form factor and they do not reliably fit into my ears at all, so as a personal suggestion I would maybe look around a bit and see how similar headphones work for you before you drop 900 dollars on that.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

.Z. posted:

What's your budget? The most obvious choice would be LCD-2C but you're getting up there.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

GreenBuckanneer posted:

edit: also how is this "7.1 audio" thing anyways

physically impossible with headphones, marketing garbage that indicates you should stay the hell away from whatever they're selling.

even with head tracking in a virtual space it's impossible, we can't determine verticality even with binaural recordings.

e: unless you, personally made the recording with microphones inside your ears. that would work.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Dec 2, 2020

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

ddogflex posted:

If you're open to the odd form factor, I'd look into the Audeze LCD i3.

I don't mind odd form factors, but I'm in the same boat with Cardiovorax. In-ear earbuds do not fit my ears well unless I use foam tips that I find uncomfortable. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

What's your budget? The most obvious choice would be LCD-2C but you're getting up there.

$600. But if the LCD-2Cs would be the best choice, I'm perfectly happy just spending more time saving up towards it.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
You can get used LCD2C on eBay for under $600. I got my 2C for $550 a couple years ago.

The i3 aren't really in-ear, they sit outside the ear canal, but if you hate the feel of anything being in there at all yeah not for you. I do prefer the sound a bit over the 2C, altho a lot of that might just be that they don't weigh 32lbs.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I’ve got a bunch of headphones, but the weight and odd construction makes the lcd series feel like something really special. I go for the lcd2c a lot.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

ddogflex posted:

The i3 aren't really in-ear, they sit outside the ear canal, but if you hate the feel of anything being in there at all yeah not for you. I do prefer the sound a bit over the 2C, altho a lot of that might just be that they don't weigh 32lbs.
For me, the problem was less the feel of it and more that this kind of earbud shape does not seem to play well with ear shapes that fall outside of the range they were built for, moreso than more conventional shapes do. I've got (relatively speaking) fairly large and deep ears and my problem was that the shape would just not let me insert them deeply enough to get a good seal and good audio going, and where they did sit in my outer ear, they sat loosely and not very securely.

I imagine people with very small ears would also experience problems, although of a different sort. It's not something that I found possible to fix even through a number of different tips that I tried out, so I would suggest only getting earbuds in that general type of shape if you have the opportunity to try them on first.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

eddiewalker posted:

I’ve got a bunch of headphones, but the weight and odd construction makes the lcd series feel like something really special. I go for the lcd2c a lot.

I tend to use mine if I'm at my desk. They're loving great for gaming too. They just feel expensive, this is true. That's nice. Also they're easy to fix if you break something. My wife sat a heavy rear end bag on my bending tf out of the yokes. Audeze sent me a new set for $25 and it was super easy to install.

Cardiovorax posted:

For me, the problem was less the feel of it and more that this kind of earbud shape does not seem to play well with ear shapes that fall outside of the range they were built for, moreso than more conventional shapes do. I've got (relatively speaking) fairly large and deep ears and my problem was that the shape would just not let me insert them deeply enough to get a good seal and good audio going, and where they did sit in my outer ear, they sat loosely and not very securely.

I imagine people with very small ears would also experience problems, although of a different sort. It's not something that I found possible to fix even through a number of different tips that I tried out, so I would suggest only getting earbuds in that general type of shape if you have the opportunity to try them on first.

Yeah it's a wild amount of money to spend on something without trying it. I had (well still have but never use) the iSine 10 I got for maybe $150 and loved those, so upgraded. Anyone want a cheap set of iSine 10s? lol

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

...exactly how cheap are we talking?

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I am looking for some g a m e r headphones that could immerse me in 2077 next week. I saw HyperX Cloud Alpha as the wirecutter pick but the amazon site has a grayed out "7.1 surround" option. I was wonder about this 7.1 feature and whether it's something worth pursuing. I'd like to pay <= $250 here for the best I can get. Anyone enlightened?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Thom ZombieForm posted:

I am looking for some g a m e r headphones that could immerse me in 2077 next week. I saw HyperX Cloud Alpha as the wirecutter pick but the amazon site has a grayed out "7.1 surround" option. I was wonder about this 7.1 feature and whether it's something worth pursuing. I'd like to pay <= $250 here for the best I can get. Anyone enlightened?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.1_surround_sound
It's a type of eight-channel surround sound system with directional audio output and essentially physically impossible for a headphone to properly reproduce. When a headphone manufacturer tries to tell you that their headphones can do 7.1 surround sound, they are lying to you. The next best thing they can do is to simulate it with positioning sensors and software.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Cardiovorax posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.1_surround_sound
It's a type of eight-channel surround sound system with directional audio output and essentially physically impossible for a headphone to properly reproduce. When a headphone manufacturer tries to tell you that their headphones can do 7.1 surround sound, they are lying to you. The next best thing they can do is to simulate it with positioning sensors and software.

There are a few games that don't properly handle spatial audio in headphones but work with a "surround" system. PUBG was this way when I last played for example. A "7.1" headset used to be a useful workaround to these problems.

Now for the last few years Windows 10 has this feature built in, it's called Windows Sonic. Enable that and any set of headphones has virtual surround.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
“7.1” headphones usually have some built in DSP to add some HRTF data to the audio —the subtle cues that your brain processes from how sound bounces off your head and outer ears in real life.

It’s not “real” and it’s not “hifi,” but I can see how a gamer might like it. Game audio is all simulated; why not take surround stems from the game and process it into simulated spatial cues too? I wish the marketing was more clear, but it’s not always a total scam.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Cardiovorax posted:

The next best thing they can do is to simulate it with positioning sensors and software.

And even that is pretty wack. I don't know anyone with a Mobius who uses that feature all the time.

The problem is that the shape of our ears and our bodies creates a spectral filter that lets us understand where things are based on what frequencies we hear or don't hear. That filter will obviously be different for everyone, so you can't reproduce it in a recording.

You can test this phenomenon by changing the shape of your ears with play-dough. You'll lose your spatial hearing. poo poo's weird.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

The problem is that the shape of our ears and our bodies creates a spectral filter that lets us understand where things are based on what frequencies we hear or don't hear. That filter will obviously be different for everyone, so you can't reproduce it in a recording

There’s a certain baseline that’s the same for most people. It’s why binaural head recordings can work even though the dummy head is only an approximate human. The AES has published standards for the DSP functions.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

eddiewalker posted:

There’s a certain baseline that’s the same for most people. It’s why binaural head recordings can work even though the dummy head is only an approximate human. The AES has published standards for the DSP functions.

Not when it comes to verticality. 7.1 really can't be virtualized without a model of your ear.

this person explains it better than I can, it's in french but there's subs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nAGXmUi6j0

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Not when it comes to verticality. 7.1 really can't be virtualized without a model of your ear.

this person explains it better than I can, it's in french but there's subs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nAGXmUi6j0

There's no height channel in 7.1, and its almost always it's just two extra rears matrixed from 6-channel 5.1 content. If there's height, it's the third number, as in 5.1.2, commonly called "Atmos."

Fun fact, per Dolby spec, audio from the overhead channels is NOT included in the stereo downmix, so it shouldn't ever be audio critical to your enjoyment of a program. It's cool when it's done right, but it's explicitly not important audio.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Dec 3, 2020

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Oh, well nevermind then. What's the benefit of the extra speakers if they're not discrete channels?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Dispersion. Making sound feel like it naturally fills the room rather than comes from specific distracting speakers behind you.

Most surround sound, at least in broadcast, is just about atmosphere, although Atmos and some of Dolby’s new object-based audio stuff might change that eventually.

I mix for several major networks and this is the guidance we operate under.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Crazy. I only ever dealt with film, and I haven't worked on it in maaaaany years. The last time I was in a 5.1 mix room the Yamaha O2R had just come out and I had to train college staff on it.

I can't begin to tell you the violence with which I hate the Yamaha O2R.

e: oh no I'm not that old, I mean the O2R96 revision.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Dec 3, 2020

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Crazy. I only ever dealt with film, and I haven't worked on it in maaaaany years. The last time I was in a 5.1 mix room the Yamaha O2R had just come out and I had to train college staff on it.

I can't begin to tell you the violence with which I hate the Yamaha O2R.

e: oh no I'm not that old, I mean the O2R96 revision.

Yeaaaa, that’s a dinosaur. I saw one last year when the NBA went to Mexico and we couldn’t get an American broadcast truck to cross the border. It was miserable.

Calrec Apollo has been the cat’s pajamas for live surround for the last 10 years. Everything from presidential debates to the Super Bowl is done on a Calrec.

Sorry for the off topic. I have to sit in a hotel alone for 24 hours awaiting covid test results before every gig, and I’m bored as hell.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
The worst part is the Yamaha rep managed to wine and dine the school management to the point where they replaced the beautiful SSL they were using for radio broadcast with some other Yamaha digital monstrosity. I quit after that.

Thankfully the SSL ended up with a friend of mine who started his own recording studio / live venue so it all worked out. Blech, though.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

eddiewalker posted:

“7.1” headphones usually have some built in DSP to add some HRTF data to the audio —the subtle cues that your brain processes from how sound bounces off your head and outer ears in real life.

It’s not “real” and it’s not “hifi,” but I can see how a gamer might like it. Game audio is all simulated; why not take surround stems from the game and process it into simulated spatial cues too? I wish the marketing was more clear, but it’s not always a total scam.

"I can see how a gamer might like it" has been responsible for so many terrible design decisions across so many different, but related and interoperating, industries.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Ok Comboomer posted:

"I can see how a gamer might like it" has been responsible for so many terrible design decisions across so many different, but related and interoperating, industries.

If you work in marketing it’s gotta be easy hell to just mash the “make it hideously ugly and put some horrible RGB lights on it” button and win.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
https://www.linsoul.com/collections/accesories/products/linsoul-nymph-cable

I saw these in a DROP email. Is there any benefit to using a cable like this? The description seems like audio voodoo.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

If you can hear the difference between monocrystalline copper versus polycrystalline copper (about 400 copper crystals per foot of cable, apparently) then you might have a career as living audio analysis equipment waiting for you, because I can't believe for a moment that whatever difference exists would actually be audible to a human being.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

mariooncrack posted:

https://www.linsoul.com/collections/accesories/products/linsoul-nymph-cable

I saw these in a DROP email. Is there any benefit to using a cable like this? The description seems like audio voodoo.

Among the 'audiophile' market cables ARE the big profit runners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Hifiman/Drop HE4xx or HE5xx?

this is like HD58x vs HD6xx all over again