Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
There are digital payments platforms that already exist that are much better than crypto for sending money legally. I can send whatever the gently caress amount I want to anyone in my country, for free, without even knowing their bank info. They get a loving email they can use to claim the money and it goes into whatever bank acct they choose. Bitcoin is not built to and never will be built to do this better or more efficiently.

The main use of bitcoin is sending money illegally, which a lot of libertarian fuckwads consider a positive instead of a negative, because they want the man to keep their laws offa their money. People using bitcoin to send money to ISIS, or Russian hackers demanding bitcoin from the city of Baltimore because the schools were closed by a ransomware attack, or Chinese elites using bitcoin to convert more yuan into USD than is allowed, or alt-right terrorists trying to obscure their paper trail when buying guns and ammunition. Unfortunately for bitcoin, it's not nearly as difficult to track as libertarians like to claim, and a very large portion of the Who's Who in bitcoin have been or are now in prison. There are plenty of altcoins that are much more difficult to track, and bitcoin is not built to and never will be as good at that as some of those altcoins either. So from a long-term FUTURE OF MONEY perspective, bitcoin isn't going to be the place for that either.

Bitcoin's one last hope is that, despite being backed by nothing, techbro investors are willing to pay money for it, so it's just a cascading exchange of different people holding the bag. It was obvious early on that bitcoin was eventually going to be replaced by more innovative things, well now those more innovative things actually exist, and bitcoin is just a lingering dinosaur that excels at nothing. Any attempts to fix existing problems to make bitcoin actually matter in the long-term would hinder the profits that Chinese mining firms make right now, and if the miners don't want something to change, it ain't gon change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ad by Khad posted:

The average fee-per-transaction has bounced wildly in the past month, anywhere from $2 USD to $13 USD. That's an average, though. Known crazy crypto man Roger Ver once did an analysis of the blockchain and found 28000 transactions where the seller paid $1000+

Also whatever it is, it's taking longer than 9 minutes. Bitcoin doesn't scale, so in this manic dreamworld where bitcoin gets popular, you might wanna set that estimate to 900 minutes instead. That's only if you pay a high enough fee, though.

edit: to give you an idea of how far from 9 minutes that wait is going to be, even right now the waiting list of unconfirmed transactions is 37 times larger than can be fit into a block. they cannot make the blocks bigger - if you try they will kick you out of bitcoin
In this situation you simply don't use bitcoin, obviously!

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Ad by Khad posted:

they cannot make the blocks bigger - if you try they will kick you out of bitcoin
really wanna see that excommunication ritual and become the crypto antipope

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

Roger Ver was the biggest name who got excommunicated in this way, now he very very very angrily tries to find bagholders for all his Bitcoin Cash

it's like bitcoin! but not!

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

tattoo artists who specialize in QR codes are gonna be in high demand

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Bitcoin is prosperity gospel for nerds.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Extrinsic Value posted:

Crypto makes money transfers quick, traceable, transparent, and immutable.

Extrinsic Value posted:

Bitcoin (on chain) transactions are not for buying coffee. It's not practical for that use case. You don't need the security of the world's most powerful computer network to ensure your $6 coffee transaction is legitimate. Just use an off-chain solution or a cheaper, faster alternative cryptocurrency.

Bitcoin is useful for transactions like sending 2,000$ back to your family in your home country without paying exorbitant money transfer fees. Or for protecting your wealth from an inflating/hyperinflating national fiat scrip.

How can someone write both of these posts without their brain cracking in half from the stress?

Bitcoin is not quick. You say this yourself.

You still pay exorbitant money transfer fees, they're just paid to other folks and have a different name, but they're still fees for transfers.

Inflation is good for an economic system, and if you thought about it for a single second- and you have plenty of time, clearly- you'd understand why.

How is a currency going to be useful to anyone if it has limits on its "use cases?" Stop thinking about this like a computer toucher and think about it like a single mom with kids and a grocery list. Is she supposed to keep the various intended use cases of her eighteen cryptocurrencies in mind as she looks for milk? What happens when another exchange scumbag decides to bail with all of the cash?

E: Also I love the idea that actual money that people use to buy coffee is a "fiat scrip," but a cryptocurrency with a value that can be completely overwritten if anyone ever gets 51% control isn't.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Inflation is bad.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
More like craptocurrency.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Paladinus posted:

More like craptocurrency.

:eyepop:

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Waltzing Along posted:

Inflation is bad.

Inflation is good.

Hyperinflation is, indeed, bad.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

vortmax posted:

I am disappointed HGB. Why would you lie to me like that? :sigh:

Oh well, this always makes me feel better.

I would never

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Somfin posted:

Inflation is good.

The Deviantart thread is in PYF, dude.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Somfin posted:

Inflation is good.

Do you mean in theory inflation is good? Because in practice it is bad.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Waltzing Along posted:

Because in practice it is bad.
At or under a few percentage points: Nope

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

Some amount of inflation is good and important and necessary. Japan has spent the last 30 years (since the asset bubble crash) trying to INCREASE inflation, and is gonna fall below 0 yet again this year despite their efforts, due to covid.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Waltzing Along posted:

Do you mean in theory inflation is good? Because in practice it is bad.
Compared to alternatives inflation is good unless you are planning on an epic planned economy that can preternaturally pin the value of your non-productive stores of value in time and space. Until then you need a reason for people to hold productive capital instead of imaginary chits and since we can't really pin that value anyway, letting it inflate a bit works very nicely.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Extrinsic Value posted:

Here we go again with the intrinsic value fallacy. Okay, serious post time people.

No offense, but you don't understand bitcoin. This is something really important to understand about bitcoin: Bitcoin itself doesn't have intrinsic value. Bitcoin is a way to express / exchange value. The value is in the product/service/labor you buy with bitcoin. Labor has value. Food has value. Water has value. Breathable air has value. Bitcoin only has value insofar as what you can get for it. And that is deeply, deeply subjective. There's a reason I keep linking the "power is a shadow on the wall" conversation from Game of Thrones in this thread.

So what is Bitcoin’s intrinsic value?

It has none!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Lets be fair, bitcoin is above junk bonds and overly derivative market instruments in their actual utility. They track something specific and measurable instead of how fast an accountant can swizzle ledgers into something sellable so they have at least as much utility as a clock that runs fast or slow randomly.

They are firmly in the regulate off this dumb earth category of assets for me, but you can put that line where ever you want.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
So the theory is inflation is good?

I've only seen it be bad. The case that immediately springs to mind is 15 years ago or so, gas prices were soaring due to the speculative market. This caused retailers to raise their prices because it now cost them more to ship the products. For instance a gallon of milk went from $2 to $3. Then gas prices came down but the retail prices had now been set at a new rate and didn't drop because why give up that $$?

During this whole time wages didn't increase. So all that inflation was bad.

And this is how it pretty much always works. Prices go up, the consumer gets hosed.

In theory, if everything inflated evenly then it doesn't matter. If wages inflate but the rest stays the same it is good. But wages are always last to go up therefore inflation is almost always bad.

I'm happy to hear how this is wrong.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Waltzing Along posted:

That's the implication tying your theory together. Wages won't respond immediately, but you're correct that if they don't respond fast enough then inflation is bad and prices have to come down / consumer choices cause non-essential business to decline, etc.

With no inflation, everyone is incentivized to hold cash rather than spend it and you end up with zero or negative interest rates to get it moving, which isn't good either.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 2, 2020

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

divabot posted:

ghosty titty is still posting nonsense graphs in his own little altcoin thread

They are not nonsense they are facts. Like, the power isn't wasted, you are a clown

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Waltzing Along posted:

I've only seen it be bad. The case that immediately springs to mind is 15 years ago or so, gas prices were soaring due to the speculative market. This caused retailers to raise their prices because it now cost them more to ship the products. For instance a gallon of milk went from $2 to $3. Then gas prices came down but the retail prices had now been set at a new rate and didn't drop because why give up that $$?

And this is how it pretty much always works. Prices go up, the consumer gets hosed.

In theory, if everything inflated evenly then it doesn't matter. If wages inflate but the rest stays the same it is good. But wages are always last to go up therefore inflation is almost always bad.

Price bubbles are not inflation. Also, the economic data we have doesn't match with the story you're telling. Milk prices did drop once gas prices dropped. In fact, they spent several years dropping as the cost for retailers was lower and retailers were slowly undercutting one another to get back to the equilibrium price.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
graphs without labels or scale are indeed nonsense and would get you failed out of any high school science class

ghotsy are you so coined because you're innumerate or is it the reverse

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Shumagorath posted:

That's the implication tying your theory together. Wages won't respond immediately, but you're correct that if they don't respond fast enough then inflation is bad and prices have to come down / consumer choices cause non-essential business to decline, etc.

With no inflation, everyone is incentivized to hold cash rather than spend it and you end up with zero or negative interest rates to get it moving, which isn't good either.

So...inflation is good for capital. But bad for the proletariat. I'm still failing to see how inflation is good.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Waltzing Along posted:

So...inflation is good for capital. But bad for the proletariat. I'm still failing to see how inflation is good.

zedprime posted:

Compared to alternatives inflation is good unless you are planning on an epic planned economy that can preternaturally pin the value of your non-productive stores of value in time and space.
waltz do you think the above is possible

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Waltzing Along posted:

You're mixing up inflation with the Reagan era law encoded looting of the lower and middle class. Easy mistake to make.

A slight inflation should in theory result in the price increase of all capital. You may recall, labor is a form of capital and should be rising in price in lockstep with all similarly utility capital. So either human capital is becoming worth less net (I'll hear arguments for this but will still probably think someone saying this as wrong afterward). Or we're dealing with a set of financial and tax policies meant to reinstate the serf class through purposeful and targeted devaluing of human capital by people who stand to make out better afterward.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

zedprime posted:

So either human capital is becoming worth less net (I'll hear arguments for this but will still probably think someone saying this as wrong afterward).
What about automation replacing the low-skill labour and education not pushing the skill floor up fast enough due to cost/access?

e: oh that might have been the second bit, fair point.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 2, 2020

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

zedprime posted:

You're mixing up inflation with the Reagan era law encoded looting of the lower and middle class. Easy mistake to make.

A slight inflation should in theory result in the price increase of all capital. You may recall, labor is a form of capital and should be rising in price in lockstep with all similarly utility capital. So either human capital is becoming worth less net (I'll hear arguments for this but will still probably think someone saying this as wrong afterward). Or we're dealing with a set of financial and tax policies meant to reinstate the serf class through purposeful and targeted devaluing of human capital by people who stand to make out better afterward.

Ah. Well, it's all I've ever seen having grown up in the Reaganomic hellscape that is post 1980 USA.

Shumagorath posted:

waltz do you think the above is possible

Not really but we seem to be headed that way as Amazon eats up the entire market. I mean everything would have to be under a single umbrella in order for things to be constant across everything.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Waltzing Along posted:

Inflation is very good for people in debt (as the actual cost of their debt decreases faster) and bad for people who lend money (because they earn less from just lending money and charging interest). So, basically the exact opposite of your statement.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Shumagorath posted:

What about automation replacing the low-skill labour and education not pushing the skill floor up fast enough due to cost/access?
This, or something like population growth is out of step or we're due a Malthusian check are the arguments I'll hear. But I'm of the opinion you're swizzling your GDP into a paper tiger if it's going up (and giving inflative pressure) but your wages aren't going anywhere.

If automation is increasing net utility but it's not utility realized by any humans what's the point?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Shumagorath posted:

graphs without labels or scale are indeed nonsense and would get you failed out of any high school science class

ghotsy are you so coined because you're innumerate or is it the reverse

idk if that's a typo or what but if ghostty ever starts a bitcoin chart site please call it ghotsy.cx

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Waltzing Along posted:

Inflation is bad for capital and good for the proletariat, because of the post you quoted.

If you have deflation, then the people who have excess resources have absolutely no reason to spend more than they absolutely need to, because every dollar they have is making them richer simply by existing, and the people who are in debt are in more debt even if they pay no interest, because the power of every dollar is increasing over time. You have something beyond stagnation; you have active rot. Nobody with resources has any reason to do use them, and everyone with negative resources is worse off every day.

Inflation pushes all currency values slowly toward zero, which means that a billion dollars becomes less than a billion dollars if it is left alone. One of the most important theoretical goals of an economy is to keep everything flowing through the system, and inflation means that money spent now is significantly more powerful than the same amount of money spent in twenty years. This is a big incentive to get in and do things while the money you have still has its current power, including activities that make that money into more money.

This is one of the major reasons that bitcoin is never going to be an actual currency- if you have a lot of bitcoin, you have no reason to spend any of it, because its value is increasing and you have more total wealth over time by not spending anything than you do by converting any of it into actual goods or services.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Inflation is good if wages keep up with inflation. So...whoops.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

ymgve posted:

Inflation is good if wages keep up with inflation. So...whoops.

Exactly.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

ghosTTy posted:

They are not nonsense they are facts. Like, the power isn't wasted, you are a clown
youre giving away the game here because nobody could be dumb enough to think bitcoin isnt a huge waste of electricity

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I do not think bitcoin is a self organization collective intelligence, nor is there anything connecting "intelligence" to "bitcoin" IMO

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

So apparently a bunch of hardcore bitcoiners are gonna try to crash all the exchanges on January 3rd because they are that afraid of the very notion of fractional reserve banking.

https://twitter.com/btcschellingpt/status/1334268176461271041?s=21

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LanceHunter posted:

So apparently a bunch of hardcore bitcoiners are gonna try to crash all the exchanges on January 3rd because they are that afraid of the very notion of fractional reserve banking.

https://twitter.com/btcschellingpt/status/1334268176461271041?s=21

future of money

also lol when a coiner says "gimme my coins" and the exchange says "lol we don't have any" it's going to cause 1929 all over again but bitcoin.

E: I thought bitscoin was all about not trusting third parties, why are there trusted third parties? I thought there were none this is all bullshit

orange juche fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Dec 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

does that include tether? lmao if yes, cowardice if no