Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Collapsing Farts posted:

There literally are no decent hellraiser flicks, though?

(theyre all bad)

Good concept for a horror but jeesh, the movies suck

Extremely wrong opinion alert

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

muscles like this! posted:

It is a little muddy because Sean Cunningham (who directed/produced the first movie) says that Miller's draft barely has anything to do with the finished product.

Sean Cunningham is also famously full of poo poo.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

joylessdivision posted:

:colbert: Rawhead Rex is rules however and I love that big dumb Gwar looking idiot monster

:same:

Every time someone mentions Rawhead Rex, I get the urge to rewatch Rawhead Rex.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I enjoyed Rawhead Rex but then Tammy and the T-Rex came along and I really only need one absurdly gory Rex movie in my life.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

I enjoyed Rawhead Rex but then Tammy and the T-Rex came along and I really only need one absurdly gory Rex movie in my life.

No one gets a monster to piss on their face in Tammy though.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
nothing will ever be funnier than the T Rex picking up the girlfriend's gay friend and dusting him off with his tiny arms

okay maybe the horny brain in a jar

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

nothing will ever be funnier than the T Rex picking up the girlfriend's gay friend and dusting him off with his tiny arms

its such a good movie.

sometimes i randomly think about the fight scene with the bully and paul walker

e: a reminder, any time you see CPL post you should thank him for willing the uhd into existence.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Point proven, you shouldn't sleep on big fish, especially big sharks. Their skin is so smooth you'll fly right off.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Iron Crowned posted:

:same:

Every time someone mentions Rawhead Rex, I get the urge to rewatch Rawhead Rex.

It's currently available on GLORIOUS BLURAY!

Yes, I own this stupid movie on Bluray, right along with Nekromantik 1 and 2 because when I think of low budget German horror movies about necrophilia, I know I want them in the highest quality possible.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
https://twitter.com/tedgeoghegan/status/1334197878915538944?s=21
Rip to a real one

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

joylessdivision posted:

It's currently available on GLORIOUS BLURAY!

Oh, I know

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

tag yourself, i'm the uncropped toes

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

That better be the 4K version of Tammy and the T-Rex.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-Xe-NWbItU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

ALFbrot posted:

tag yourself, i'm the uncropped toes

Read up a few posts. There's no more Toe Cutter.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF7hGBT6kAs

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Vince MechMahon posted:

No one gets a monster to piss on their face in Tammy though.

It wasn't supposed to be piss. Clive Barker was also unhappy with the ogre-like monster in the movie because in his short story he described it as a phallic monster.

He was truly the shiniest and the chromiest of 'em all.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

IUG posted:

I have nothing to add but I had to congratulate you on this

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

IUG posted:

:vince:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

IUG posted:

Remember him when you look at the night sky.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Young Freud posted:

Remember him when you look at the night sky.

that's the nightrider

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

sexpig by night posted:

seriously people need to stop sleeping on Big Fish

He replaced his imposter for that movie then immediately returned to the abyss.

Mystery solved.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

The MSJ posted:

It wasn't supposed to be piss. Clive Barker was also unhappy with the ogre-like monster in the movie because in his short story he described it as a phallic monster.

Yeah, if you want to know just how phallic the monster is supposed to look, just google Rawhead Rex and scroll through the images a bit. Ignore the bitching Gwar monster from the movie. in the original story it's a dick-monster. literally a penis demon.

Also the priest getting pissed on is loving hysterical, much like every other scene where that goofy looking monster is on screen. :allears:

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
https://twitter.com/verge/status/1334565685796757506?s=21

quote:

There are some limitations to the new business model. The movies will only stream on HBO Max for one month before leaving the platform for a period of time. They will also play in theaters, keeping the relationship with movie theater distributors like AMC and Regal. The plan is to run this experiment for one year.

The movies Warner Bros. is planning to release include: The Little Things, Judas and the Black Messiah, Tom & Jerry, Godzilla vs. Kong, Mortal Kombat, Those Who Wish Me Dead, The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It, In The Heights, Space Jam: A New Legacy, The Suicide Squad, Reminiscence, Malignant, Dune, The Many Saints of Newark, King Richard, Cry Macho and Matrix 4. All films will be released in 4K Ultra HD and HDR.
E: I think this is a bit misleading actually, from the press release it sounds like films will be available to stream for one month concurrent with its domestic theatrical run, not that every movie for the whole year will be dumped online at the same time

aware of dog fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 3, 2020

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Warner Bros says "F it, stream EVERYTHING!"

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1334565594625175554

EDIT: Link doesn't work. Hmmmm....

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/warner-bros-smashes-box-office-windows-will-send-2021-slate-to-hbo-max-and-theaters

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

RIP movie theaters

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

muscles like this! posted:

RIP movie theaters

oh, im sure bezos will scoop up amc and alamo drafthouse at bargain rates

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Surely the exhibitors are gonna be furious. Most people aren't going to see these films at the cinema for 15 quid plus travel if they can stream them at home for a subscription fee that's significantly less. There's a vaccine on the horizon with the potential for a return to normalcy in about year depending on the rollout, so if this is an experiment, it does look like WB is making moves to see if they can reduce the power of exhibitors entirely in a post-covid world.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

i know we are all hoping for theater death ala the two party system but ngl im hoping amc A list comes back

poo poo i'll take moviepass too even though they Lucy'd the football away from me at the end there

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
I wonder if we’re going to see a lot of investment in 4D-style showings as theaters desperately try to justify their existence

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Karloff posted:

Surely the exhibitors are gonna be furious. Most people aren't going to see these films at the cinema for 15 quid plus travel if they can stream them at home for a subscription fee that's significantly less. There's a vaccine on the horizon with the potential for a return to normalcy in about year depending on the rollout, so if this is an experiment, it does look like WB is making moves to see if they can reduce the power of exhibitors entirely in a post-covid world.

:lol:

Everyone hangs their hopes and dreams on a vaccine with no published data, not to mention, it's going to take a long time to vaccinate everyone, 2021 is just going to be 2020 Part 2.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008
Yeah, there's a comic book adaptation of Rawhead Rex from the 90's where the monster design is closer to the short story. The monster is supposed to feel a bit like a Grendel-style folklore giant, while also making it impossible to ignore that he's a giant penis-monster, because Barker was all taking subtext and making it text.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
The Paramount Consent Decrees were repealed this year so it wouldn't surprise me to see multiple big studios attempting to sabotage established theater chains in order to drive them bankrupt and buy their assets later.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The Warner Bros. decision seems premature. It's not unthinkable to imagine the vaccines will have tempered the pandemic by summer 2021.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

aware of dog posted:

I wonder if we’re going to see a lot of investment in 4D-style showings as theaters desperately try to justify their existence

i mean they didnt do it in good times...

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Vegetable posted:

The Warner Bros. decision seems premature. It's not unthinkable to imagine the vaccines will have tempered the pandemic by summer 2021.

As said above 2021 is going to look a lot like 2020. By the summer I doubt the majority of the US population will have the vaccine, and even then, for those that may get it, we still have no clue how the effective they really will be.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vegetable posted:

Even if the vaccine works and is distributed quick summer 2021 is *very* optimistic for a return to normality. People are going to hesitate to see movies in theaters until they know they are safe.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vegetable posted:

I'm sure the calculation is that making this decision now is going to drive up subscription numbers for HBOMAX, rather than making case by case decisions as each movie's release date approaches. And then, once 2021 is over, assuming the vaccines did their job, they can go back to the traditional release model and they'll be able to retain a large percentage of the subscribers they gained during the past year. So it's a short term sacrifice for what they probably see as a long-term gain, announcing this all at once in such a high profile way really does launch HBOMAX pretty close to the top of the streaming world, their numbers probably will go through the roof.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

My understanding is that the vaccine will remain inaccessible to vast portions of the public until June, hence there being stories about the mafia and other organized crime rings trying to get their hands on the vaccine to sell to the rich and powerful. Even after it becomes accessible, it will take months for enough people to get vaccinated to justify a return to normalcy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Basebf555 posted:

I'm sure the calculation is that making this decision now is going to drive up subscription numbers for HBOMAX, rather than making case by case decisions as each movie's release date approaches. And then, once 2021 is over, assuming the vaccines did their job, they can go back to the traditional release model and they'll be able to retain a large percentage of the subscribers they gained during the past year. So it's a short term sacrifice for what they probably see as a long-term gain, announcing this all at once in such a high profile way really does launch HBOMAX pretty close to the top of the streaming world, their numbers probably will go through the roof.

Yeah I would expect other Studios to make similar moves now. They cant push films out forever hoping things are better... there won't be enough weekends in 2022 for 2020 and 2021 delays. Get all these movies released as widely as possible and then try to get back to normal in 2022.

Although who knows what normal will be after next year. I for one would love to see new releases at home going forward forever.