Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Barry Convex posted:

what are the glaring continuity errors?

Sentry should be red, but I guess they thought that whole plotline wasn't particularly important?
And they have the wrong Cable when the X-Men show up, too.
I feel like there's another one I've forgotten (I haven't slept much) and I may have oversold it, but these seem like things you'd pick up
Then again... gestures vaguely at Hazmat

edit: also, given how the entire page is a reference to Seige and there's a new euro-team I wonder if we're gonna get Ares

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Have I lost my drat mind or are they really asking me to pay nearly ten dollars to read a Donny Cates comic?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

KaosMachina posted:

They have old Cable? Oof, it's 4 years since young Cable ganked him.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's probably something to be said about how the entirety of King in Black feels like it can be traced back to referencing other, better stories, thinking on it

Hell, the entire thing revolves around a villain that Cates went "Hey, y'know that cool, mysterious sword in that other book? Yeah that's the sword my new OC made and he's also symbiote god. And also he's Grendel?"

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I was just about to say how Cates did exactly the same thing in his Thor run, where he had Gorr cameo specifically so Thor could say "But Donny Cates' story is even more badass and dark than this, times a billion!" The design of Knull even cribs heavily from Malekith in War of the Realms.

The Sentry scene mixed with how stunningly out of place Brock feels palling around with everybody just crystallizes how immature Cates feels as a writer to me. This feels like a writer's wish-fulfillment story. This feels like something Todd McFarlane would write in the 90s. This was 39 pages of Cates "What if Metalocalypse, but without the self-awareness and humour?"

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Sometimes I wonder if Jason Aaron just silently seethes in his office, watching editorial let Cates take a poo poo all over the work he spent 7 years building

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Nilbop posted:

I was just about to say how Cates did exactly the same thing in his Thor run, where he had Gorr cameo specifically so Thor could say "But Donny Cates' story is even more badass and dark than this, times a billion!" The design of Knull even cribs heavily from Malekith in War of the Realms.

The Sentry scene mixed with how stunningly out of place Brock feels palling around with everybody just crystallizes how immature Cates feels as a writer to me. This feels like a writer's wish-fulfillment story. This feels like something Todd McFarlane would write in the 90s. This was 39 pages of Cates "What if Metalocalypse, but without the self-awareness and humour?"

I gotta be honest, you guys are really selling me on King in Black

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

site posted:

Sometimes I wonder if Jason Aaron just silently seethes in his office, watching editorial let Cates take a poo poo all over the work he spent 7 years building
Aaron wrote X-Men for years he's used to massive continuity and characterization changes at the drop of a hat.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I...actually did not know he did X-Men

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Wolverine and the X-Men and Amazing X-Men. Over the top silliness and fun.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I think Wolverine and the X-Men is the first time Krakoa is represented as something other than a wholly malevolent force.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Open Marriage Night posted:

Wolverine and the X-Men and Amazing X-Men. Over the top silliness and fun.

He only did the first arc of Amazing i believe, but it's a hell of an arc.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Gripweed posted:

I gotta be honest, you guys are really selling me on King in Black

By all means if this sounds like your jam then go for it.

I will say that Cates picked his artist perfectly. Stegman has captured the energy of what Cates was going for masterfully. I just don't care for that energy at all anymore. I can totally see the far-distant me who thought Spawn was the coolest thing in the world go in for it.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
nm

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 2, 2020

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Codependent Poster posted:

I'm glad Champions pulled that card at the end. It makes total sense and I'm happy that the writers didn't try and figure out a reason that wouldn't happen.
Oh I think it makes zero sense in terms of, like, why would this character be able to speak unilaterally on this, with any authority at all, considering their erstwhile superiors -- who actually make the decisions on this sort of thing -- couldn't possibly give less of a drat about the plight of the Champions.

On the other hand though, it absolutely makes total sense that this character would 100% do this anyway because their balls are filled with pure refined beskar and he's the only white boy I trust up in this joint.

Cyclops...is right :allears:

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

KaosMachina posted:

Sentry should be red, but I guess they thought that whole plotline wasn't particularly important?
I feel like there's another one I've forgotten (I haven't slept much) and I may have oversold it, but these seem like things you'd pick up
Then again... gestures vaguely at Hazmat

edit: also, given how the entire page is a reference to Seige and there's a new euro-team I wonder if we're gonna get Ares

I just assumed that Sentry merging with Void had been undone in some other comic I hadn't read, but maybe it wasn't

this may also just be me, but I found the visual storytelling on the Knull/Sentry splash to be unclear. couldn't tell at first if he was meant to be tearing Void off as though it were a symbiote or ripping Sentry apart a la Ares

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Skwirl posted:

They have old Cable? Oof, it's 4 years since young Cable ganked him.

They sure do!

I'm glad to see my boy back in action, but someone probably should've told Donny Cates about Extermination. :sweatdrop:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Would you really put that on Cates? Wouldn't that be up to the artist to make sure he was drawing the right Cable?

Barry Convex posted:

I just assumed that Sentry merging with Void had been undone in some other comic I hadn't read, but maybe it wasn't

It was, they were split again when the Sentry went into the Negative Zone to try and find inner balance. Void just became a separate entity and opened a portal to the Cancerverse.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Dec 3, 2020

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I doubt Donny Cates said "put in old Cable" that's probably on Stegman

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Would you really put that on Cates? Wouldn't that be up to the artist to make sure he was drawing the right Cable?

Oh, good point! I didn't even think of that. The script probably wouldn't specify that sort of thing when one of the versions of the characters is turbodead.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah, that's an artist thing.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I choose to believe that that is young cable. He looks too skinny for liefield cable

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Harold Fjord posted:

I choose to believe that that is young cable. He looks too skinny for liefield cable

Liefeld Cable was a slim boy by the mid 90s

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Harold Fjord posted:

Yeah, that's a very subdued Cable desgin for Ryan "Eddie Brock is wider than he is tall" Stegman.

This is not an insult by the way, I love Ryan Stegman's artwork.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

site posted:

Archy look at what you did

Too bad I already resigned in disgrace because now I deserve it.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I am a big Sentry fan, and while his death was just a waste of three pages to set up how strong and crazy Knull is (ugh), I did like that it perfectly mirrors his 1st appearance in New Avengers.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I am a big Sentry fan, and while his death was just a waste of three pages to set up how strong and crazy Knull is (ugh), I did like that it perfectly mirrors his 1st appearance in New Avengers.

It's like poetry, it rhymes.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It was, they were split again when the Sentry went into the Negative Zone to try and find inner balance. Void just became a separate entity and opened a portal to the Cancerverse.

Where was this

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

I went ahead and asked on Twitter and yeah, that's definitely old Cable in KiB and it was definitely an accident.

https://twitter.com/RyanStegman/status/1334306989334290432

e: I do love the implication that, even now, Stegman thinks Cable was de-aged and not killed by his younger self. Understandable mistake, though.

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Dec 3, 2020

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Quote =/= edit

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

JordanKai posted:

I went ahead and asked on Twitter and yeah, that's definitely old Cable in KiB and it was definitely an accident.

https://twitter.com/RyanStegman/status/1334306989334290432

e: I do love the implication that, even now, Stegman thinks Cable was de-aged and not killed by his younger self. Understandable mistake, though.

Like, it's not his job to know everything about comics continuity, but kid Cable has been around for four years and has his own book from that same publisher, I feel like an editor, I feel like an editor should have caught that, and it probably could have been fixed without redrawing the whole page.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

His editor definitely should have caught it.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I find it even worse since (kid) Cable has his own solo series; it's not some obscure character that appears every once in a while, he is the star of his own book.

On to better comics, Chip's Daredevil keeps getting better every month; besides X-Men stuff, Daredevil and Immortal Hulk are the best books every month.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So character of the decade: Knull or The Batman who Laughs?

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

So we're getting Mike Murdock is: MATT MURDOCK, part 2, where he's a totally different person from Daredevil, because Daredevil is in jail.

Huh.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So character of the decade: Knull or The Batman who Laughs?

Obviously we know the plot of the next Amalgam crossover now, since we're revisiting all the 90s tone hits now, including the desperate need for sales in the face of bankruptcy

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

(accidental dp, quote not edit)

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

KaosMachina posted:

accidental dp

Name of my punk band

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

site posted:

Where was this

Annihilation: Scourge from last November. It was one of the 80th anniversary minis.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

KaosMachina posted:

So we're getting Mike Murdock is: MATT MURDOCK, part 2, where he's a totally different person from Daredevil, because Daredevil is in jail.

Huh

I need to catch up on Daredevil, but what ever happened to his identical twin Mike Murdock? He could be one or the other Matt Murdock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
God Knull is just so boring to look at. I don't know if this would be a good comic if he had a decent design but having an abysmally dull one sure doesn't help.