Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Ham posted:

Yes, that's the assertion.

Now TEST it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Maybe it's because it had been nine months since I had been to a theater, but I saw it over the weekend (sold-out, socially-distanced IMAX in suburban Tokyo) and that opening scene got me PUMPED! The music, the energy. The number of extras who probably spent a whole week on set pretending to be asleep. And I think I rode that high for the rest of the film.

I went in blind. Never saw the trailer, didn't even know the premise. Glad I didn't. But also, about 40 minutes in, I realized, "This is going to be the kind of film in which the more I think about it later, the more it falls apart." So I decided to enjoy the spectacle.

Why oh why wasn't the climactic battle the opera again? Seems like a huge missed opportunity.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Chappers posted:

Maybe it's because it had been nine months since I had been to a theater, but I saw it over the weekend (sold-out, socially-distanced IMAX in suburban Tokyo) and that opening scene got me PUMPED! The music, the energy. The number of extras who probably spent a whole week on set pretending to be asleep. And I think I rode that high for the rest of the film.

I went in blind. Never saw the trailer, didn't even know the premise. Glad I didn't. But also, about 40 minutes in, I realized, "This is going to be the kind of film in which the more I think about it later, the more it falls apart." So I decided to enjoy the spectacle.

Why oh why wasn't the climactic battle the opera again? Seems like a huge missed opportunity.

For Neil it is.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Chappers posted:

Yeah this was really weird because the corresponding real life instance killed half the audience! So the opera scene started off incredibly tense and real - it was strange that it didn't revisit it at all or address that, in favor of a weird lifeless battle that no matter how much money they put it into it looked like a Dr Who quarry scene.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Chappers posted:

I honestly had the opposite feeling, the more I thought about it the more I was able to connect everything up in my head and go "oh I get it" afterwards. Now the next time I watch clips of it I hope I can spot some easter eggs.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
This was loving insane.

I have to watch it again ASAP because holy poo poo that was fun.

I think I can think of at least one plot hole, but I'm not 100% certain that I'm not just thinking of it wrong / having a hard time rationalizing it.

edit: brb, gonna read 14 pages of this poo poo

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Ruffian Price posted:

Yes, P has already met him after he spent years inverted (remember how twitchy he was in their first scene?), but he (in the future) has yet to meet P. Hence the beginning of a beautiful friendship for P and the end for Neil.

lol I thought that was because he was withdrawing from alcohol. Which makes sense if he watched a ton of videos of Hitch like someone previously stated.

quote:

The opera setpiece is there to fill out the square and that's it :v: I thought the balcony throw was setting up a small time loop since it looked significant but it wasn't relevant later

Yea, when the Protagonist inverts himself the first time, I thought we were about to go backwards through the entire film, which would have been loving awesome. I'm more than satisfied with what we got instead though.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
No, going backwards through all the major plot points would've been amazing. Much better than the weak-rear end quarry stuff.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

General Dog posted:

The guys running into battle backwards absolutely felt like parody. I honestly couldn't tell who was coming and who was going the whole time, despite some effort to establish who was who with the colored armbands.

That was clearly the point. The only way you could tell is by if they were moving backwards or everyone else was (or the arm band if you could keep remembering). It was suppose to be confusing and hectic.

And because it was asked more than once already: the temporal pincer move was not referring to a pincer maneuver on a battlefield, but in time -- so you had one team attacking normal but then also from the goddamn future. Basically, each team only had to win half the battle, because their counterparts were leading an assault from either one hour in the past or one hour in the future, and they converge at the moment the nuke is supposed to detonate.

Ruffian Price posted:

That vehicle box-in scene looked like a massive money sink and they probably had to run the scenario multiple times. Knowing Nolan the CGI was minimal

e: lmao can't believe I already forgot about the plane

Well yes, that was quite expensive I'm sure. But so was detonating a nuclear warhead. You think Nolan just stops after car chases?

Abalieno posted:

A few weeks ago I "broke" Dark, this time I prove Tenet is sloppy and poorly built with a simple experiment.

Both Dark and Tenet are built on the same foundation, they are only different in appearance. Therefore...

Tenet defeated

Let’s take two devices, one that is wholly normal, and proceeds linearly through time, that we name Billy. The other instead is reversed, and we name it Tom.

Billy, the linear time one, is equipped with a microphone, and programmed so that if it hears one beep, it activates a projector that shows the color red on a wall. If instead the microphone hears two beeps then the projector will show the color blue on the same wall.

Tom, the one that is reversed, is instead equipped with a camera and a sound emitter. The camera is pointed at the wall of the first device, and Tom is programmed so that if the camera sees the color red on the screen, then the sound emitter will produce two beeps, if instead the camera sees blue, the emitter will produce one beep.

Let’s establish then two discrete points in time. Time 1 and Time 2. They are labeled in linear order. So in common linear time first we have Time 1, and then Time 2 follows. Tom, in reverse, experiences Time 2 before Time 1.

Summary:
Billy (normal), one beep = red, two beeps = blue.
Tom (reverse), red = two beeps, blue = one beep.

Since Tenet establishes that the past cannot be changed, and everything is inscribed already in the same timeline, then it means Tom, at Time 2 will have to perceive a color, because it has always already also proceeded to Time 1 and emitted a sound. But of course this opens the contradiction because if it sees red, then it emits the two beeps that will cause Billy to project the color blue, and so Tom cannot see red, it sees blue. But if it sees blue at Time 2, then at Time 1 it will emit only one beep.

Conclusion: this contradiction cannot be solved, because the fundamental principle Tenet is based on is flawed.

Caveat: there’s a small loophole that can be exploited, and that wants that Billy doesn’t show anything, and Tom, not seeing anything on the wall, doesn’t emit anything. This can be easily patched up with an added rule that if Tom reaches Time 1 without the camera seeing a color, then it is programmed to emit either one or two beeps randomly. This makes sure than in all cases Tom will see a color at Time 2, and so won’t have to use the random function at all.

The colors would be inverted.

suck it.

Grandpa Palpatine fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 10, 2020

occluded
Oct 31, 2012

Sandals: Become the means to create A JUST SOCIETY

Fun Shoe
Just saw this, really enjoyed it. Glad to see everyone else thinks the sound mix was poo poo, it's not just me!

I thought Neil was the woman's kid grown up, was wondering if his little key-chain thing shows up earlier in the movie. But doesn't seem like it.

JOHN SKELETON posted:

On another note, this is the second movie from Nolan where I feel he's heavily borrowing from Stephen Baxter's scifi novels. Interstellar had parts of Flood & Ark with the desperate space mission escaping a dying Earth, as well as Manifold Time with the lonely spaceman experiencing some wild poo poo. Tenet again feels very similar to Manifold Time, with the "upstreamers" sending messages from the future to "downstream", with their own mysterious agenda, and a looming threat of an unknown apocalypse. Anyone else get what I mean or am I seeing things?

Haven't read this but I was remind a lot of the novella 'Palimpsest' by Charles Stross, which features secret agents in a time-travel war, and their initiation ceremony involves going back in time to kill their own grandfathers. It's great.

Aeble
Oct 21, 2010

occluded posted:

Just saw this, really enjoyed it. Glad to see everyone else thinks the sound mix was poo poo, it's not just me!

:same: I was really wishing for subtitles; understanding a time travel plot when chunks of the dialogue can't be understood is not helpful! What was the goal in going to the Freeport where they first encounter the turnstile with the plane crash plot, and why was it filled with gold in the first place? I could not hear or understand that. Something to do with that drawing, but ???

I thought the idea of sending messages to/from the future was really neat. The mechanics of the inverted bullets were kind of needlessly complex, though - just sticking to whole-sale inversion seems to make more sense. But how does an inverted person drive a non-inverted car? Or does the car also become inverted somehow by being piloted by an inverted person? Hmm.

Was a nice spectacle. Lots of nice suits. Agree with it being a Bond movie, basically. I'm not sure it needed to be as long as it was, I think the gimmick started to become a bit too predictable once they first went through the turnstile, because then the cliche time-travel tropes of the ~mysteriously masked people showing up in the right place~ applies, and it's not so mysterious anymore, but I was still entertained.

Aside from that, having the cinema being half-deserted due to corona is eerie as hell.

Also! I can recommend 5D Chess to play games in the dimensions of time and timelines. It's really not that confusing.

Aeble fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Oct 17, 2020

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Aeble posted:

:same: I was really wishing for subtitles; understanding a time travel plot when chunks of the dialogue can't be understood is not helpful! What was the goal in going to the Freeport where they first encounter the turnstile with the plane crash plot, and why was it filled with gold in the first place? I could not hear or understand that. Something to do with that drawing, but ???

I thought the idea of sending messages to/from the future was really neat. The mechanics of the inverted bullets were kind of needlessly complex, though - just sticking to whole-sale inversion seems to make more sense. But how does an inverted person drive a non-inverted car? Or does the car also become inverted somehow by being piloted by an inverted person? Hmm.

Was a nice spectacle. Lots of nice suits. Agree with it being a Bond movie, basically. I'm not sure it needed to be as long as it was, I think the gimmick started to become a bit too predictable once they first went through the turnstile, because then the cliche time-travel tropes of the ~mysteriously masked people showing up in the right place~ applies, and it's not so mysterious anymore, but I was still entertained.

Aside from that, having the cinema being half-deserted due to corona is eerie as hell.

Also! I can recommend 5D Chess to play games in the dimensions of time and timelines. It's really not that confusing.

If you're in a parking space:
1) Put the car in Drive.
2) Step on the gas pedal and ease off of it (to accelerate in reverse)
3) Watch where you're going out the back window.

4) Apply pressure to the gas to brake.
5) Look forward to where you'll be driving.
6) Shift from Drive to Reverse.
7) Ease off the gas to accelerate.

Grandpa Palpatine fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Oct 17, 2020

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

occluded posted:

I thought Neil was the woman's kid grown up, was wondering if his little key-chain thing shows up earlier in the movie. But doesn't seem like it.

The mystery SWAT guy who helps P in the opera battle has the key-chain thing on his backpack.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Aeble posted:

Finally saw this. They handwaved the driving with "its hard to do because of resistance being reversed and stuff." He made a few cheats you had to accept.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3h9OLCMn_2s

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
There's kinda no way at all to explain the driving

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Simone Magus posted:

There's kinda no way at all to explain the driving

yea you'd have to accept that the car was inversed as well

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

The whole "drop the bullet" thing sort of makes me think that driving would work in a similar sort of "you have to just follow instinct and let yourself do the opposite" sort of way, like your foot would naturally be drawn to the brake pedal and smash it and then ease off. When you're in the reverse world your actions and expectations are also flipped and it feels just natural and easy to do things in reverse.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
It wasn't a bloody opera. Thank you for listening.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
It's the fourth item on the SATOR square, ofc it is

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The event was an orchestra concert held at an opera house. The orchestra is on the main stage instead of their own orchestra pit, signaling they were the main attraction.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

If previous releases are an indication, what's the earliest this movie will come to VOD? I'm assuming the theatrical run will be cut short due to its performance.

I am not willing to risk getting a deadly virus to watch this movie, but I will order and watch the poo poo out of this movie at home with subtitles.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Bioshuffle posted:

If previous releases are an indication, what's the earliest this movie will come to VOD? I'm assuming the theatrical run will be cut short due to its performance.

I am not willing to risk getting a deadly virus to watch this movie, but I will order and watch the poo poo out of this movie at home with subtitles.

Cut short? They're gonna keep this film in theaters for like a year. It's going to be like Titanic.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
In more ways than one!

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Finally saw this, a few days before our lockdown sequel happens here in the UK. So glad I did. Completely ridiculous and utterly original. I might try and see it again if I have time.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Bioshuffle posted:

Av club ran an article saying it was coming to vod in December

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Saw this yesterday and I loved it, but I had the same audio issues many people have mentioned.

I believe that they threw a brickwall limiter on the sound and compressed the everlasting gently caress out of it all. It makes it loud, but it makes everything (sound effects, dialogue and soundtrack) all have the same volume, which is why it was drat hard to hear what was being said. I only caught about 60% of the dialogue.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
If I build a turnstile and throw a copy of the movie through it can I have my 150 minutes back?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I mean, you technically get your time back, but only by watching the film in reverse.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Watched this last night. I have to say - the Nolans can do engaging action very well, the first half was really riveting and John David Washington was fantastic, his physicality was really impressive (it 100% made sense when i learned he played professional football after watching him run with total abandon at the beginning). Honestly, you have a great sci-fi-esque James Bond in this film.

I think the movie kind of falls apart in the last 1/3, its hard to feel any stakes when things get so convoluted and its impossible to tell whats really occurring. Its easy to get the general thrust, but basically the film becomes very hard to follow and the visual language falls apart. And things they seeded, like the motif of palindromes, don't even pay off in very obvious ways: Why doesn't the film end with us at the Opera House where we started? We know Neil ends up there, its incredibly vexing they didn't go that route.

The Nolans come up with interesting ideas and then pay them off in the most perplexing ways possible. You lay out all this potentially interesting stuff, the backwards bullets, the reverse time combat, and these chekov's guns only fire off halfway. The backwards bullets basically play zero role in the action scenes, only once does it factor in when the Protagonist fights himself, same with the backwards hand to hand combat. The climax is total nonsense in a drab location. I guess it works on a meta level as some people upthread have said, but it doesn't make it fun to watch. Just as Inception took a premise of diving into people's dreams to give us a bunch of drab action set pieces, this also really didn't live up to its potential.

Also good lord the 'fire turns to ice' thing is so stupid

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

Mike N Eich posted:

I think the movie kind of falls apart in the last 1/3, its hard to feel any stakes when things get so convoluted and its impossible to tell whats really occurring. Its easy to get the general thrust, but basically the film becomes very hard to follow and the visual language falls apart. And things they seeded, like the motif of palindromes, don't even pay off in very obvious ways: Why doesn't the film end with us at the Opera House where we started? We know Neil ends up there, its incredibly vexing they didn't go that route.

Yeah on reflection I agree with this. There's a rip floating around so I might watch it again with subtitles. On a second viewing it might make more sense, but yeah the climax is confusing and you're trying to figure out WTF is going on which takes you out of the movie. I also thought it would end back at the Opera house.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

salt shakeup posted:

Yeah on reflection I agree with this. There's a rip floating around so I might watch it again with subtitles. On a second viewing it might make more sense, but yeah the climax is confusing and you're trying to figure out WTF is going on which takes you out of the movie. I also thought it would end back at the Opera house.

It was made to watch more than once.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Christopher Nolan: if I make this movie confusing enough, people will pay money to see this multiple times in the theater to try to piece the plot together! We'll make millions!!

Also Nolan: what do you mean people can't go to movie theaters?!?

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

It was made to watch more than once.

Does it actually make sense if you watch it twice?

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

The Kingfish posted:

I enjoyed the second viewing more, but I wouldn't exactly say it "made more sense"

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

The Kingfish posted:

Yea. Like I didn't really understand all the crap about the Goya painting the first time around but picked it up on the second viewing. Ironically it wasn't even a matter of time fuckery. I had just turned my brain off the first time around.

The main thing that had confused me the most was the car chase and the interrogation with the loudspeaker translating it. I felt like a doofus that I hadn't realized that he shot her before even threatening to do it when I saw it the first time.

Also the temporal pincer move made a hell of a lot more sense for the climax because my brain was able to process that the narrative keeps moving between present and an hour in the future in order to show both teams assaulting as if they're storming the site at the same time. Additionally, I hadn't realized that Neil abandoned his team and went through the turnstile to un-invert himself mid-way through the fight so that he could rescue them. Then he inverts himself again to run into the hypocenter and slam and lock the door.

I was also able to fully appreciate when the collapsed building built itself back up and then explode at the top. That was fun as hell. And for some reason I had also completely missed the dude getting obliterated by the exploded wall sealing back up.

Finally, I noticed how loving insane it must have been to film that entire final assault. You literally see dust collapsing down to the dirt, particles and projectiles going backward while people were sprinting forward, so that means that they had to loving film everyone sprinting in reverse but have it look like their posture / momentum was going the other way and that's just goddamn nuts. Especially with all of the squibs and explosions happening. It reminds me how Jackie Chan said that Americans don't appreciate the art of action cinematography because it requires infinite patience, and in his Hong Kong films they would do as many takes as it took, wasting kilograms of film in order to get the shot right. I CANNOT WAIT for the behind the scenes of this thing.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

The Kingfish posted:

I'm not sure if it's just because they've fixed the audio mix on the VOD release so that conversations are actually audible now, but I thought it made more sense the second time.

I'm still not convinced the story actually works, but I definitely enjoyed it more the second time round.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Liked it a lot. It's been a while since I've seen a Nolan film so I don't mind how he sets up the dialogue between characters(and plus, the cast knows how to work it anyway). Fun concept.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

My experience after seeing this movie a second time is that it's even worse when you start focusing on the characters instead of the plot, because they're terribly written or make no sense - or have no real character at all. The Russian villain is about as well written as a video game nemesis. John David Washington's acting is quite good and he carried a lot of the film. Also the line "shipping treasury gold once a month" is pretty dumb if you think about it.

Dante fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Dec 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Enoch
Mar 23, 2011

Collateral posted:

It wasn't a bloody opera. Thank you for listening.

While we're being nitpicky, pullup may be a palindrome, but he was doing chin-ups the whole time.