Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Detective No. 27 posted:

Finally, Gregg Turkkington will be tried for his crimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
One of the opening shots of Mank is a sign welcoming you to Victorville and I couldn't stop giggling because of this drat show

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
I finally got around to watching An Evening with Tim Heidecker and I cannot stop playing his god awful jokes in my head and giggling like an idiot

"Tell-her-swift" is just so loving hysterically stupid.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

AccountSupervisor posted:

I finally got around to watching An Evening with Tim Heidecker and I cannot stop playing his god awful jokes in my head and giggling like an idiot

This gets me every time I think about it, because Tim's special was recorded in 2017.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy

take off that loving hat gregg

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

big Dan Nainan mixed with nightmarish open-mic comedian. it's so awkward and painful and glorious.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Theres just all these amazing flourishes like in the Taylor Swift bit where he briefly over explains the studio and the engineer and producers and those small moments just suck the steam or momentum out of anything hes setting up. Then he just lays the worst non-punch line on top of that structurally awful set up and its so brilliant.

It elevated everything beyond just "lol dumb jokes" into something like comedic antimatter.

I know the most obvious comparison is Andy Kauffman but Heidecker seems much more focused on structurally terrible comedy. He understands exactly how stand up comedy is "supposed" to be and feel but does everything to simultaneously mimic yet completely subvert it.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Nov 26, 2020

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Theres just all these amazing flourishes like in the Taylor Swift bit where he briefly over explains the studio and the engineer and producers and those small moments just suck the steam or momentum out of anything hes setting up. Then he just lays the worst non-punch line on top of that structurally awful set up and its so brilliant.

It elevated everything beyond just "lol dumb jokes" into something like comedic antimatter.

I know the most obvious comparison is Andy Kauffman but Heidecker seems much more focused on structurally terrible comedy. He understands exactly how stand up comedy is "supposed" to be and feel but does everything to simultaneously mimic yet completely subvert it.

Yeah that's a nice description. I'm going to watch it again this weekend and I'm really looking forward to it.

How long was the microphone fumbling bit? Too long? or Just Right?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
It went from just right to too long to just right again several times

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Lmao just remembering that from reading your post. I’m really glad he put this out. Just a few months ago I went through all of his standup clips from years back on YouTube. The soda joke fuckin cracked me up all like 10 times. Those are especially funny because like nobody in the audience was laughing and you can just feel the tension. “Your trying to tell me Diet Coke is the same as Coke, but like, it doesn’t taste the same”

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80G38bxPeyI

Skeezy LA comedian tim heidecker was kind of a warmup for on cinema host tim heidecker

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCNsx_NyNOU

Are you watching How To with John Wilson? Why not?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
yes. it's so good

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Holy poo poo An Evening with Tim is so good

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

Holy poo poo An Evening with Tim is so good

I recommend you go to your fridge and drink some Coronas before you watch it.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdZaoBjr0c8

It's been stuck in my head all week

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Still think season 7 overall, and this episode specifically, was the absolute height of On Cinema.

I remember watching it week by week and whenever Tim would give an update on TCJR in the final few episodes I kept thinking, "They can't seriously be going where I think they're going...." And then they did, and it was even better than I hoped.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

I thought for sure it had to be a faked death for insurance money type of scenario, because I couldn't believe it would go that dark either

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Chairman Capone posted:

Still think season 7 overall, and this episode specifically, was the absolute height of On Cinema.

I remember watching it week by week and whenever Tim would give an update on TCJR in the final few episodes I kept thinking, "They can't seriously be going where I think they're going...." And then they did, and it was even better than I hoped.

Agreed.

Similarly watching Decker: Port of Call Hawaii when Decker bravely waterboards terrorists using an American flag.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Chairman Capone posted:

Yeah seeing Dr. San whip out that flute was definitely a moment I'll remember lol

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Salt Fish posted:

Yeah seeing Dr. San whip out that flute was definitely a moment I'll remember lol

They honored TCH Jr. with an endowment for the arts and a premium nutritional vape system.

It was beautiful.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

This Saturday for the tenth anniversary of the Chrimbus Special, there's going to be a watch-along for charity with Tim and Eric:

https://chrimbus.biz/

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
Is there any way to watch Mister America in the UK online? iTunes, Netflix and Prime all seem to not have it :(

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Is this the year that Hollywood gets it right for once and finally gives The Hobbit the recognition it deserves?

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

19 o'clock posted:

Is this the year that Hollywood gets it right for once and finally gives The Hobbit the recognition it deserves?

It's too late for Oscer Gold for The Hobbit but I think film buffs everywhere know there's a little thing we like to call a Lifetime Achievement Award coming it's way!

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Another Bill posted:

It's too late for Oscer Gold for The Hobbit but I think film buffs everywhere know there's a little thing we like to call a Lifetime Achievement Award coming it's way!

A truly Unexpected Journey!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well because of the pandemic there releasing a lot of old movies in theaters again so I think the hobbit still has a chance

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I'm sure all the science-heads are working on that shot so we can all come together and enjoy The Hobbit again in theaters.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
"casted by" just never gets old

edit: I just got to MT bottle 3.0 holy poo poo that autotune, my god

derp fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Dec 3, 2020

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Anyone else tuning in to the Chrimbus watchalong?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
oscar special 7 is the absolute pinnacle of on cinema, holy poo poo. pure gold from the moment gregg drives in the aurthur mobile with that stupid grin on his face, to when that god awful empty bottle remix starts playing while everyone is dying of carbon monoxide poisoning, amazing.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

*HOOOOOOOONK*

“The Joker strikes again!”

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

wuggles posted:

Anyone else tuning in to the Chrimbus watchalong?

I actually really liked the fact that they got DMCA'd for playing their own special.

But the real takeaway from it was that the audience for the Chrimbus specials were all supplied by a company that provides audiences to talk shows from the populations of halfway houses for convicts on parole. What a completely dark thing that I had no idea existed.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

derp posted:

oscar special 7 is the absolute pinnacle of on cinema, holy poo poo. pure gold from the moment gregg drives in the aurthur mobile with that stupid grin on his face, to when that god awful empty bottle remix starts playing while everyone is dying of carbon monoxide poisoning, amazing.

All the Oscar specials are pretty great.

Except the Our Cinema one without Tim. I don’t know if they couldn’t get money that year or it was part of the joke but, man, kinda dull.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

sponges posted:

All the Oscar specials are pretty great.

Except the Our Cinema one without Tim. I don’t know if they couldn’t get money that year or it was part of the joke but, man, kinda dull.

Did you not watch the whole thing? Haha

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I don’t recall. It was a long time ago.

Did I miss something ?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
tim bursting in, spraying mace on the host, claiming the deep state is going to arrest everyone at the Oscars in 30 minutes and having a big countdown to nothing, then in the end finding out that he blanked all the tapes in the vfa cause he was wearing a vest of magnets

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

derp posted:

I just rewatched the painfully overlong and grotesquely edited Joker tribute that Gregg put together. it's so brutal to experience.

what does everyone recommend as a "starter" episode for anyone who might like the show? it's so daunting to recommend to anyone. Eleven seasons (and counting) of OC, the Decker shows, Mr. America, the Trial of Tim Heidecker...

I think my go-to is the Suicide Squad review. Tim's a poo poo-show and was probably the era where I really started getting into the OC

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

derp posted:

The spoilered part is maybe the hardest I've ever laughed at the show, which is saying something.