Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

A lot of the Shout/Scream Factory covers are technically well-done art in their own right, but there are few that I would say do a better job of representing the movie in question than the original poster artwork. I think the only one I’ve left with the new artwork in place was Trick r Treat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I'm split on the Shout art style. its definitely hit or miss, but the hits are cool.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I don’t mind the Shout covers but some of them spoil big reveals or moments from the movie, so if I’m loaning then out to someone who’s never seen it I’ll usually flip the cover to the original art.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I don’t mind the Shout covers but some of them spoil big reveals or moments from the movie, so if I’m loaning then out to someone who’s never seen it I’ll usually flip the cover to the original art.

this is a neat use of the reversible sleeve that i hadn't thought of

because i have no friends who borrow my movies :(

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I use all of the alternate Shout artwork just so my copies look different from the “conventional” release. I’m a fan of making my collection as “unique” as possible.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

MacheteZombie posted:

this is a neat use of the reversible sleeve that i hadn't thought of

because i have no friends who borrow my movies :(

I've learned that letting friends borrow movies ends up with them returned 3 months later, unwatched, with obvious water damage to the cover and rust stains on the case

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
If I do let someone "borrow" a movie I basically think of it as a gift, and if I get it back it's a pleasant surprise. People tend to think of movies as disposable and I really have no interest in having to annoy people into returning stuff to me so anyway yea if I lend something out it's because I have a duplicate copy or it's a movie I was looking to upgrade anyway. Like, a few months ago someone wanted to borrow Suspiria so I said sure of course, here's my DVD! No way I was giving out the new 4k mastered blu ray.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I’m evidently way more trusting, but I’ve also got a good success rate of getting stuff back undamaged (or the person has proactively replaced it if it was).

My longest wait on a return was 2 years on a copy of Independence Day.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’ve had pretty good luck with loans but I do currently have a friend who hasn’t watched or returned half a dozen movies that I gave them early last year. In fairness, I do have a stack of movies he gave me around the same time that I also haven’t watched yet, so it’s a bit of a stalemate.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I beg my friends to borrow movies from me and they all just laugh at my desperation.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

i dont really let people borrow the movies unless they're on the same wave length as me for physical media.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

I beg my friends to borrow movies from me and they all just laugh at my desperation.

I've lost most of my recommendation privileges because I'm known as someone who like's weird movies. Weird meaning like, old black and white movies and schocky B-movies and really long 4 hour movies, etc. People in my life are automatically suspicious of me if I try to recommend something.

Nevermind the fact that I've watched the John Wick movies an ungodly number of times and own the entire Fast & Furious series.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I've lost most of my recommendation privileges because I'm known as someone who like's weird movies. Weird meaning like, old black and white movies and schocky B-movies and really long 4 hour movies, etc. People in my life are automatically suspicious of me if I try to recommend something.

I have one friend who loves to challenge me about movies and debate them. They get really caught up on ironic enjoyment vs sincere enjoyment, and gets kinda frustrated and incredulous when I stand by that, if I enjoy it, I enjoy it. "I'm not here to convince you Death Spa is as good as Spartacus. I know it's not as good, but I don't think liking it for what it is is an example of irony."

I get a lot of privilege with recommending films to my friends and stuff, cuz they know I'm at least trying to curate something to their tastes and avoiding stuff they might not like, or showing them something they haven't seen.

I recently loaned out the Before Trilogy to a friend while she was on maternity leave. She only watched the first one even though she had it for a few months. Still, now she's seen Before Sunrise, and that rules.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I did have a co-worker once who is from Malaysia, and he is of Indian descent so he was interested in the history of Indian film. He knew of Ray but hadn't really seen any of his films so I lent him the Apu Trilogy. Cut to a few months later and he's emailing me alerts about B&N Criterion sales.

That was my biggest success but they're few and far between.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
The one friend who I think would be 90% on my level lives in another state and uses excuses like having kids as to why he can't watch movies

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Franchescanado posted:

I have one friend who loves to challenge me about movies and debate them. They get really caught up on ironic enjoyment vs sincere enjoyment, and gets kinda frustrated and incredulous when I stand by that, if I enjoy it, I enjoy it. "I'm not here to convince you Death Spa is as good as Spartacus. I know it's not as good, but I don't think liking it for what it is is an example of irony."

Them: "So it's so bad it's good?"
Me: "Nope, it's just good."
Them: "So it's the same quality of filmmaking as A Brighter Summer Day, which you gave the same rating to?"
Me: "Nope, that's not what my ratings indicate."
Them: "So you liked it but admit it's bad?"
Me: "Nope, if I liked it, it's good."
Them: "I see, you have horrible tastes."

That was me discussing Poultrygeist, btw.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Iron Crowned posted:

The one friend who I think would be 90% on my level lives in another state and uses excuses like having kids as to why he can't watch movies

god forbid i have kids, but man, i would be watching even more movies if that happened.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Splint Chesthair posted:

A lot of the Shout/Scream Factory covers are technically well-done art in their own right, but there are few that I would say do a better job of representing the movie in question than the original poster artwork. I think the only one I’ve left with the new artwork in place was Trick r Treat.

The best ones I know of are all of the Sleepaway Camp movies and They Live. But the Sleepaway Camp movies aren't really known for their good original cover art anyways. I think I kept the new art for my From Beyond case too.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

dorium posted:

god forbid i have kids, but man, i would be watching even more movies if that happened.

As a parent of two kids, I can confirm it's a bullshit excuse to not watch movies.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Spatulater bro! posted:

Them: "So it's so bad it's good?"
Me: "Nope, it's just good."
Them: "So it's the same quality of filmmaking as A Brighter Summer Day, which you gave the same rating to?"
Me: "Nope, that's not what my ratings indicate."
Them: "So you liked it but admit it's bad?"
Me: "Nope, if I liked it, it's good."
Them: "I see, you have horrible tastes."

That was me discussing Poultrygeist, btw.

I'm always reminded of Ebert talking about his ratings. He says when rating Hellboy 2, he's not comparing it to an art film, he's comparing it to stuff like The Punisher.

Ratings are ultimately about how successful the film is.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

How so? Or rather, what’s the metric of “success”?money generated? Conveying the “director’s vision”? Eliciting a specific emotion?

Like, Blade Runner 2049 was really well “rated” but it bombed hard at the theatre.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

A friend of mine just sent me a pic of a pile of movies I’ve leant him over the years and he hasn’t watched a single one.

:mad:

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Xenomrph posted:

How so? Or rather, what’s the metric of “success”?money generated? Conveying the “director’s vision”? Eliciting a specific emotion?

Like, Blade Runner 2049 was really well “rated” but it bombed hard at the theatre.

By success, I mean does the film do what it set out to do. I don't care about the box office.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Lord of the Rings really benefited from 4k and hdr. Environments look gorgeous, and the detailing on costumes is crystal clear now.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Cemetry Gator posted:

I'm always reminded of Ebert talking about his ratings. He says when rating Hellboy 2, he's not comparing it to an art film, he's comparing it to stuff like The Punisher.

Ratings are ultimately about how successful the film is.

I don't read the magazine anymore, but I always quite liked Little White Lies' rating system:

quote:

Like its magazine, movie reviews are rated in three parts: "Anticipation", "Enjoyment", and "In Retrospect." The website has an online store selling books and board games.

https://lwlies.com/reviews/

I guess I mentally do a similar thing in a single score, as I usually have a rating in mind when I start watching and it either goes up/down/remains the same as it goes on, and half the time adjust my rating a day or two later anyway.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Cemetry Gator posted:

By success, I mean does the film do what it set out to do. I don't care about the box office.

Exactly. "Does it achieve what it's trying to do?" Is one of my most important criteria.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Iron Crowned posted:

I've learned that letting friends borrow movies ends up with them returned 3 months later, unwatched, with obvious water damage to the cover and rust stains on the case

I've always wondered what the gently caress people do when you let them borrow a movie because this has been my experience 90% of the time I loan something out to someone. .

Franchescanado posted:

I get a lot of privilege with recommending films to my friends and stuff, cuz they know I'm at least trying to curate something to their tastes and avoiding stuff they might not like, or showing them something they haven't seen.

I recently loaned out the Before Trilogy to a friend while she was on maternity leave. She only watched the first one even though she had it for a few months. Still, now she's seen Before Sunrise, and that rules.

I've talked about this a lot but people are afraid to engage with things on their own terms so they just go "lol, irony" because they're insecure about saying they like Gymkata or The Green Slime or something. The Room is a massive pile of garbage but I like it because it's an insane piece of outsider art that is a window into a truly warped mind. There's nothing ironic about my enjoyment of that movie. People who exclusively like "art" films or "serious" dramas are boring assholes. If you really love movies you love it all.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Spatulater bro! posted:

Exactly. "Does it achieve what it's trying to do?" Is one of my most important criteria.

What if a movie tries to be serious, fails, but you enjoy the hell out of it anyway?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xenomrph posted:

What if a movie tries to be serious, fails, but you enjoy the hell out of it anyway?

Still good

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Xenomrph posted:

Then that falls to my next criterion which is even more important: "did I enjoy watching it?"

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Makes sense to me. :hfive:

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

I enjoyed the hell out of the Fanatic and Gotti. They were terrible films that tried to be anything but a comedy of incompetency, but that's what they ended up as.

I can enjoy bad films. The quality of the film is not always the same as it's enjoyment, at least on the low end.

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007
Best Buy/USPS lost my Blade Runner 2049 UHD and it’s sold out there now. Guess I’ll try again next Black Friday.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I also have bad luck with Black Friday blurays. One year I bought Live Die Repeat and it was missing the Blu-ray disc. This year I bought Doctor Sleep and it was missing the digital code. Both were sealed so it must have just been errors at the factory.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Harry Privates posted:

Best Buy/USPS lost my Blade Runner 2049 UHD and it’s sold out there now. Guess I’ll try again next Black Friday.

Try seeing if Best Buy will send you a replacement. I ordered some stuff from Target and one of the packages was “delivered” by FedEx but I never got it. Gonna try calling in a few days just I’m case it comes a few days late.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Hi goons, I've finally got a 4K Blu-ray player with my PS5 and an OLED tv so I am now looking to start another expensive hobby by collecting my favourite films on 4k physical release. The links in the op are handy and I have used to them to draw up a shortlist. One I am surprised I can't see a 4k release for is Gattaca though, is there anyway to find out if that is on the cards or is it just if and when they announce it? It's a beautifully shot film.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

CPL593H posted:

I've always wondered what the gently caress people do when you let them borrow a movie because this has been my experience 90% of the time I loan something out to someone.

Yeah, I don't loan things out like this anymore. 90% of the time when it comes time to return it to you, people act like they're doing you a huge favor, and it's a big burden to ask them to return the item. I've even had arguments with people because they had forgotten that I was the one who had let them borrow it, and they'll either think they bought it, or another friend lent it to them.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I don't really watch or read things people loan me either, and not because I'm not into it it's just that I'm weird about what I decide to take in or when. Maybe I'm in the middle of a TV series already, maybe I have a ton of movies in my backlog to watch during a very specific timeframe, maybe I'm already reading a book with another on deck. Music would be about the only thing I'd listen to right away, but I have Spotify for that.

But I wouldn't loving use somebody else's physical media for a coaster or just throw it at the bottom of a junk pile, I'd at least keep it somewhere safe even if it's gathering dust.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

One of the “benefits” of lending out steelbooks.

Oh yeah, uh huh, that steelbook edition of Train to Busan that you never even watched is definitely yours, there’s no way it could be from the collection of the movie collector who collects steelbooks, I must be mistaken, yup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Don't loan something if you're not okay with giving it away. You can still hope it's returned, but you should operate as if it won't be.