Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
google wave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

3D Megadoodoo posted:

case in point: Fallout New Vegas had Chinandolor Boing in the cast and they gave him exactly zero good lines??!? The heck did they think they were making - Friends?

what in the god drat

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
“could I be any more crucified?”

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

“could I be any more crucified?”

yeah you know that 100% would've made the game better!

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
chamandla bong

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Actually, I just realized there are no well-written (as in dialogue) characters in Fallout New Vegas, and the ones they put most effort into range from lethally bland to infernally bad (Ulysses).

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

could have been Slack if they had known what to do with it

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Actually, I just realized there are no well-written (as in dialogue) characters in Fallout New Vegas, and the ones they put most effort into range from lethally bland to infernally bad (Ulysses).

the think tank

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

jesus WEP posted:

the think tank

I forgot about the Think Thank. They're OK apart from the bit where they literally read out the bits in the script that are supposed to be sound effects which is REALLY weird.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

axolotl farmer posted:

could have been Slack if they had known what to do with it

but would slack pass the toothbrush test???

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

wasn’t this like seven hundred loving dollars

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

it was cursed

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

readyboost

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

back in the day i really wanted a sony picturebook. it was like the coolest thing to me at the time

nipple mouse plus decent keyboard... sign me up.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

just remembered the whole OLPC thing and nerds climbing over each other to buy one.. weren’t they ridiculously underpowered and got irrelevant immediately when netbooks started appearing ?

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
you just said you remembered the whole thing

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

poo poo

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Crime on a Dime posted:

you just said you remembered the whole thing

bazooper

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

netbooks were based on intel atom lmao
I remember buying into that promise

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I’m tempted to buy a netbook with an ssd and see if it’s still usable, but I already have a 12” MacBook so idk

mystes
May 31, 2006

Theoretically it should be possible to make decent/cheap netbooks now, but intel's low-end cpus are complete garbage that stagnated 10 years ago and I guess it's generally too hard to get phone chipsets to run stuff other than android. The lack of demand is also a problem, obviously, and the few companies that are making 8/10" laptops aren't interested in bothering with the low end.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

yo

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Netbooks use-case got eaten by Intel's Celeron lineup (both Chromebooks and Windows), internet-connected smartphones, and tablets all around the same time. Windows 10 on ARM might make netbooks feasible again in a year or two assuming they don't go back to those god-awful shrunken keyboards.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

klosterdev posted:

Windows 10 on ARM might make netbooks feasible again in a year or two

surely they'll get it right this time after failing utterly the previous 3 [4?] attempts

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
my old netbook was my tiny low-res (1024x600 lmao) little king

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

my old netbook was my tiny low-res (1024x600 lmao) little king

I made a hackintosh out of a refurb dell netbook [deeply shameful I know] and the screen was so small some of the system control panels didn't fit

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
ez135

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

qirex posted:

surely they'll get it right this time after failing utterly the previous 3 [4?] attempts

Windows Store is basically SOL at this point, so long as they let people install their own .exe's, they work reliably, and the performance isn't trash it might actually work this time.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

qirex posted:

I made a hackintosh out of a refurb dell netbook [deeply shameful I know] and the screen was so small some of the system control panels didn't fit

i was doin malware analysis back when these were around and we got a requirement on some Mac stuff, except we didn’t have any Mac stuff. instead of using our considerable budget to buy the Mac stuff, we bought some dell netbooks (a10?) to hackintosh them (which is deeply stupid on its own, but to try and do some RE? lol). extra funny because the purchase process took so long that dell had updated the whole line and we couldn't get the hackintosh going.

so the little underpowered pieces of poo poo went into storage until we did inventory and found they all disappeared. spooooooky

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ruffian Price posted:

netbooks were based on intel atom lmao
I remember buying into that promise

the later atoms where they got hyper threading and more cores are pretty decent but they were pretty dead by that point

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

mystes posted:

Theoretically it should be possible to make decent/cheap netbooks now, but intel's low-end cpus are complete garbage that stagnated 10 years ago and I guess it's generally too hard to get phone chipsets to run stuff other than android. The lack of demand is also a problem, obviously, and the few companies that are making 8/10" laptops aren't interested in bothering with the low end.

in many ways the original atom series was the last really interesting intel cpus. they were really incredibly slow, but they did run in a minuscule power envelope with some really substantial engineering effort going into it (as it was also the phone play). what they have *now* is by comparison unmitigated trash, though at least aimed at a segment that exists.

for arm socs the problem is the usual, you don't get so much drivers as you get a hacked up five year old linux kernel which must not be disturbed in any way or the thing wont run right.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

I think linux ARM support is going to rapidly improve with AWS investing heavily in ARM hardware

https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/aws/new-m6g-ec2-instances-powered-by-arm-based-aws-graviton2/

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
Qwikster

did we do that one already? I tried checking but search thread function is broken and I'm loling at it regardless

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
netbooks fit into your baggy pants cargo pockets, so were pretty good note-taking machines for the sort of student that just wanted to rock up to class without having to carry a bag around

matti
Mar 31, 2019

Jabor posted:

netbooks fit into your baggy pants cargo pockets

that is terrible

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
netbooks died because people who bought them were the kinds of people who continually want to pay less for something so a $350 laptop sounded great until they realized why it was $350 and then stopped buying them

things like the windows vista version was artifically limited to 3 programs running at a time.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ik trying to think when I last had thigh pockets. I know I wore convertible cargo troushorts to work like maybe 2003-2004? I don't I ever unzipped the legs though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
If you want a modern netbook you do have some options that come close. If price is your main concern, there is the Pinebook from PINE64 which is an ARM SBC crammed into a laptop chassis. The base model is only $99 with an 11" screen while the "Pro" model is $199 with a 13" screen and significantly upgraded specs otherwise (you can swap the Pro mainboard into the base model which I would highly suggest if you want to use it more than occasionally/as a toy). If the form factor is your main concern, you can probably find something made by GPD that will suit your needs, though not very cheaply (their stuff usually starts around $500 with Atom or Y-series Core processors and integrated graphics only).

That said, I don't think you can get any computer today that combines the tiny form factor (with a keyboard) and the low price of the original netbooks, though that's probably because those machines turned out to be bad compromises compared to smartphones and tablets which now largely make up the low end of the "(semi-)portable Internet browsing device" market.