Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

moist turtleneck posted:

Got some mando art book in the mail today

Lotta concepts

Looks like Mas Amedda's angry Russian cousin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/nataliewatson/status/1334348544182894595

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
As a big fan of animation, I'm glad The Mandalorian goes with the live-action look- as said, it recreates and expands on the visual language of the original trilogy in meaningful ways, and has its own very distinct vibes as a result. Samurai Jack was great, but we already had Star Wars Samurai Jack. The costumes, puppetry, and choreography combined with acting ranging from decent to hammy requires and has clearly received a ton of loving effort.

The whole comparison to Lone Wolf and Cub and the general samurai plot is also quite fitting, because yeah, it's got the same themes of being on a lawless periphery where any central authority is sparse, distrusted and arbitrary while warlords and opportunists are thick on the ground. Every choice that the protagonist makes matters, because there's rarely someone just standing around to tell him otherwise- and he's not clearly bound by honour or rules like Jack or a typical Jedi.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Maybe I missed it by why is Ashoka called Bo Katan

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Because that isn’t Ashoka

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Right ok what does Bo Katan say on the ship then to Mando

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

euphronius posted:

Right ok what does Bo Katan say on the ship then to Mando

The planet ashoka's on

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

moist turtleneck posted:

Got some mando art book in the mail today

Lotta concepts

"Space moose got my other tentacle, eh."

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’m reading some websites and Bo Katan and Ahsoka are apparently in other media.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yes, they were in The Clone Wars and Rebels. However so far that doesn't really matter to whats going on in Mandalorian too much, the majority of the audience probably hasn't seen those and will be just fine.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

euphronius posted:

I’m reading some websites and Bo Katan and Ahsoka are apparently in other media.

I heard Bo knows baseball.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

ruddiger posted:

I heard Bo knows baseball.

She desires the Dark Sabrmetrics in order to rule Mandalore

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

I feel like the only thing you have to do to get Werner Herzog to show up is just say "Hey Werner, wanna go do something?". And then it happens. Or possibly pull a Joaquin Phoenix and nearly die, and just suddenly there's Werner.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

- and he's not clearly bound by honour or rules like Jack or a typical Jedi.

I was with you until this line. What? Mando follows a very strict code of honor: When you make a deal/take a job you see it through, and never remove your helmet. This is the way.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Chill Penguin posted:

I was with you until this line. What? Mando follows a very strict code of honor: When you make a deal/take a job you see it through, and never remove your helmet. This is the way.

In the last episode he's very careful to make it look like he's accepted a job he doesn't intended to do.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

In the last episode he's very careful to make it look like he's accepted a job he doesn't intended to do.

I suspect you know this, but that's explicit evidence he is bound by his code. He doesn't take the job.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Chill Penguin posted:

And then after seeing a job through you can go back and take back a delivery because you have mortal qualms about it.

And not even give back your payment.

Very strict.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Cheesus posted:

And then after seeing a job through you can go back and take back a delivery because you have mortal qualms about it.

And not even give back your payment.

Very strict.

There's a whole chunk of episode focusing on making the decision that the Mandalorian code of honor outweighs the bounty hunter code. The show explains it better than I can, if you watch it with the sound on.

*Also the "payment" was spoils of war, and keeping it was recovery of stolen cultural artifacts.

Lord Frankenstyle fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Dec 3, 2020

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
page 2 is out

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
no

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

this is violence, stop it, get some help

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
If it stops sequel chat, keep doing it.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
Well thanks for that. Now I've turned to the dark side.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Did Dawson do a good job as Ash(hs)oka?

Assume I've never seen a star wars cartoon.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Butterfly Valley posted:

This seems like a weird and arbitrary distinction, you literally have the apprentice killing the master and taking over the First Order, how much closer to

do you want?
People love framing the story of TLJ like it's a YA romance.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

euphronius posted:

I have never seen a Star Wars cartoon and thought she did fine

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

fatherboxx posted:

this is violence, stop it, get some help

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Frankenstyle posted:

There's a whole chunk of episode focusing on making the decision that the Mandalorian code of honor outweighs the bounty hunter code. The show explains it better than I can, if you watch it with the sound on.

*Also the "payment" was spoils of war, and keeping it was recovery of stolen cultural artifacts.
Thanks for supporting my point!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Halloween Jack posted:

People love framing the story of TLJ like it's a YA romance.

Doesn't help it got described as canon Zutara

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I think the interesting nuance of Dawson's Ahsoka is that she's unapologetically driven and aggressively wrecking poo poo. Old Ben and Old Yoda become quiet and contemplative monks, but Ahsoka is not at peace and does not really want to go back to being a traditional Jedi. I read that as an unstated reason why she chooses not to train Grogu; not just because of the attachment but because it would mean she'd have to give up on her mission.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

euphronius posted:

As someone who bounces back and forth between hating the cartoons and mostly tolerating them, Dawson made me love a character who is probably my least favorite toon.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Alchenar posted:

I think the interesting nuance of Dawson's Ahsoka is that she's unapologetically driven and aggressively wrecking poo poo. Old Ben and Old Yoda become quiet and contemplative monks, but Ahsoka is not at peace and does not really want to go back to being a traditional Jedi. I read that as an unstated reason why she chooses not to train Grogu; not just because of the attachment but because it would mean she'd have to give up on her mission.

Yeah I think that conflict was well acted / directed.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

euphronius posted:

She did a fantastic job. Dawson embodied the character excellently. I knew we were in good hands when Mando used his launched cords to tie her up and she realized she could jump up and screw up his plan, the smile on her face is 100% the Ahsoka from the Clone Wars and Rebels. She got the physicality, the personality, and the heart of the character very well. She also happens to look very good in the makeup and her voice is fairly close to what Ahsoka would sound like at the age, continuing the progression her voice actress was doing from CW to Rebels.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The best part was after her fight with Mando whe she points at Grogu and says “I hope your here to talk about that!” Pure Ahsoka from what I’ve seen of her in the toons.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The last episode was probably the best theyve ever done.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I was a huge EU nerd back in the nineties and now that they're picking and choosing the cool stuff to bring back into the canon, how long until we see some fuckin' World Devastators?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

When Grogu gets his armor, do you think his helmet will have articulated ears? If not, what's the point.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It's an enormous statement of quality that they take a character from a show with a different format and a different theme and different actor and still manage to make it feel absolutely consistent within the broader world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Alchenar posted:

It's an enormous statement of quality that they take a character from a show with a different format and a different theme and different actor and still manage to make it feel absolutely consistent within the broader world.

Having it be written and directed by the same guy who co-created and was the showrunner of both of those series definitely helps. Filoni :allears: