Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Jenny Agutter posted:

they got rid of the idiot rollers for number selection? gently caress i might have to update my phone now

yes although you can still use the former by dragging on the tiny window

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

mediaphage posted:

yes although you can still use the former by dragging on the tiny window

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

this is a better UX than iOS because each UI widget only has three values and they wrap around

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Agile Vector posted:

if its for web forms, this is partly on the developer since they can set the intended input type so itll show phone keys, numbers, email and so on

theres a whole thing about potential accessibility issues that arise depending on browser coverage and screen reader software that i wrote up and deleted; its mostly covered now but there were gaps for built-in screen readers for android and ios, ironically, especially for any older versions

the time i want it the most is when i’m manuallly sendings a text or imessage and i have to enter a number from the thin strip of numbers across the top row :qq:

hey the m1 chip has a neural network thingree what kind of software uses that outside tensorflow poo poo. does the a chips have it too

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

lol

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

echinopsis posted:

hey the m1 chip has a neural network thingree what kind of software uses that outside tensorflow poo poo. does the a chips have it too

yes. the ML core isn't exactly a user-facing feature but there's a public API for accessing it so you might see it any time an app wants to do ML stuff. on mobile that's usually image processing, apple uses it for their fake depth of field effect in the camera app portrait mode

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
still better than the android big handed clock

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

mediaphage posted:

you mean like this

1. using AM/PM instead of 24 hour time is bad
2. the proportions of this interface are all hosed up. Why isn't the time roller much bigger and just taking up that whole top area. I just checked on my 11 and the space between the options and keyboard is fuking huge. get it together timb

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Gentle Autist posted:

agree thanks for the reminder

my SO just upgraded to the 11 so i got the hand-me-down 8 and just installed stuff on it; i'd forgotten to switch that over

speaking of alarms i hate this garbage where it tries to force you into setting up a sleep schedule in health

gently caress YOU TIMB I NEVER SLEEP

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Gentle Autist posted:

settings-general-date+time, top toggle and it changes the default calendar to this at least

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
LOL if you use military time instead of God-fearing mariner's time. Like, yeah I can add/subtract 12 in my head but why bother? Gimme that good ol' anti-meridian / post-meridian.

edit: imagine trying to tell somebody with a 24-hour clock where the enemy aircraft are coming from. "He's on your six!" and they're looking to the right like a dumbass and getting shot down

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

24 hour time sucks because not all the numbers get used equally. when was the last time you dummies with 24 hour time saw 4:00?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

24 hour time sucks because not all the numbers get used equally. when was the last time you dummies with 24 hour time saw 4:00?

yeah we should make 24 hour time start at noon instead.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Sagebrush posted:

March? the weekend before covid restrictions came in :sweatdrop:
when we were still allowed to do things at 0400

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

12 hour time looks weird with that "AM" hanging off the end there. yuck. military time is much more aesthetic

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

FCKGW posted:

yeah we should make 24 hour time start at noon instead.

at 0600. cos that's about the average of dawn across the whole year

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

[stomps into thread with a bullhorn]

ISO 8601 uses the 24-hour clock system

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

all time labels are an arbitrary construction it doesn’t matter when it starts. tbqh i would like one time zone on 24-hour time because it would make meeting scheduling easier

that said i see 0400 p often because i sleep poorly

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Decimal time now

See you at 8.750 tomorrow

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

swatch internet time

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

It’s always 04:00 somewhere

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Doc Block posted:

LOL if you use military time instead of God-fearing mariner's time. Like, yeah I can add/subtract 12 in my head but why bother? Gimme that good ol' anti-meridian / post-meridian.

edit: imagine trying to tell somebody with a 24-hour clock where the enemy aircraft are coming from. "He's on your six!" and they're looking to the right like a dumbass and getting shot down

24 hrs is easy:

clocks with hands still have 12 hour lines so there's no worry getting shot down

when it's 17:00 we say "five", and when it's 17:30 we say "half six"

see? easy.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
just use unix time for everything easy peasy until 2038

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

PCjr sidecar posted:

swatch internet time

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Sagebrush posted:

about 15.5 hours ago, op

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Carthag Tuek posted:

24 hrs is easy:

clocks with hands still have 12 hour lines so there's no worry getting shot down

when it's 17:00 we say "five", and when it's 17:30 we say "half six"

see? easy.

Half Six instead of Five Thirty? 🤨

also, “Oh, half six? You mean 3:00?”

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
military time is bad bc the military is bad

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I like 24hr time but like all things america does it wrong

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

jenny im thread stalking you to say i love how you ended the balls thread and the balls thread in general.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
do 24 hour time but it st arts at sunrise. self-adjusting.

and then also add an am/pm on the end of it

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

holy poo poo I’m gonna cum
https://twitter.com/andrewculver/status/1334573243009822721?s=10

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

please when i close my lenovo x1 it manages to switch seamlessly to the windows bluescreen :rolleyes:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Doc Block posted:

Half Six instead of Five Thirty? 🤨

also, “Oh, half six? You mean 3:00?”

no, 3 and 15 are three. half six are 5:30 and 17:30

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

yeah theres only 12 of them so after about a day using it you are no longer doing mental subtraction, you just have a map in your head that says 15 hours is known as "three" in the pidgin language of the simple folk

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Carthag Tuek posted:

no, 3 and 15 are three. half six are 5:30 and 17:30

half of six is 3, not 5.5

6 / 2 = 3
3 * 2 = 6

Q.E.D.

:laugh:

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003