Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I wasn't aware it was possible to buy a cert for www without it also covering the bare domain, every provider I've used gives you one valid for domain.com when you buy www.domain.com

Edit: Ah, subdomains. That makes more sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assorted Gubbins
Oct 28, 2017

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Could y'all knock it off? It's a lot of scrolling for no reason.

Dirt Road Junglist, buddy, you're usually right on but in this case you seem to be taking the wrong view for some weird reason. No one's disputing (or should be disputing) that reading my posts through every last word of them will take an absurd shitload of time and it probably does NOT make sense to put in the effort to read all six thousand words. But it's quite clear that I've done my best to extract every last moment of attention out of the Something Awful reader, which means providing the absolute maximum I can get away with in every area of my posts and doing my best to prevent any ideas or attempts not to treat my posts as the essential utility they are. Notwithstanding the billions and billions of words I as a longposter have put into the posting box which you then just skipped over (the 200+ words a few posts up being one of the most egregious), or the myriad of emptyquotes additional posters have filed to fight every single person like you who's ever floated the idea of shorter posts (usually with the absurd claim that it would be "a lot of scrolling" for them), the biggest argument against your statements is that posters from every other modern Western country HAVE quoted my major posts, and if it WERE just about longscrolling, we would have fewer posters by now emptyquoting my dense literary efforts. Sure, I have SOME brevity, in SOME posts, but there's a whole lotta big posts where brevity either isn't available at all or is available only in certain paragraphs. Friend of mine reads my posts from Silicon Valley right near Google - does he get shorter posts? Nope! In a dense posting history with 10 million letters and one of the bigger wordcounts in the thread (my last post, not the one from a week ago, the one a week ago is actually quite small), where the average wordcount is in the 6 digits, you can't loving get shorter posts to your screen, because there's no competition and I'm not offering it.

(OK I think that's enough also I have actual work to do)

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Assorted Gubbins posted:

Dirt Road Junglist, buddy, you're usually right on but in this case you seem to be taking the wrong view for some weird reason. No one's disputing (or should be disputing) that reading my posts through every last word of them will take an absurd shitload of time and it probably does NOT make sense to put in the effort to read all six thousand words. But it's quite clear that I've done my best to extract every last moment of attention out of the Something Awful reader, which means providing the absolute maximum I can get away with in every area of my posts and doing my best to prevent any ideas or attempts not to treat my posts as the essential utility they are. Notwithstanding the billions and billions of words I as a longposter have put into the posting box which you then just skipped over (the 200+ words a few posts up being one of the most egregious), or the myriad of emptyquotes additional posters have filed to fight every single person like you who's ever floated the idea of shorter posts (usually with the absurd claim that it would be "a lot of scrolling" for them), the biggest argument against your statements is that posters from every other modern Western country HAVE quoted my major posts, and if it WERE just about longscrolling, we would have fewer posters by now emptyquoting my dense literary efforts. Sure, I have SOME brevity, in SOME posts, but there's a whole lotta big posts where brevity either isn't available at all or is available only in certain paragraphs. Friend of mine reads my posts from Silicon Valley right near Google - does he get shorter posts? Nope! In a dense posting history with 10 million letters and one of the bigger wordcounts in the thread (my last post, not the one from a week ago, the one a week ago is actually quite small), where the average wordcount is in the 6 digits, you can't loving get shorter posts to your screen, because there's no competition and I'm not offering it.

(OK I think that's enough also I have actual work to do)

:emptyquote:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Wasted opportunity to drift off into galtse

Unless you did and it's just a part of the speech from more than 3 sentences in when my brain just nopes out

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Arquinsiel posted:

My bank will let me directly navigate to either https://www.fakebank.com or fakebank.com just fine, but there's no redirect and their cert has been only valid for www since at least... *checks* June of this year, when I reported it to them. TBH I think their customer support just isn't aware of how to get in contact with website techs at all. Likely outsourced to some third party that gives zero fucks.

Unless your bank is massive, I virtually guarantee their website is outsourced.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

My internet is really slow can you send someone out to look at the physical connection?

"Let me just look here well it looks like there's almost no usage at all" turns out she never connected the devices to the router in 5 months :stonk:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Shugojin posted:

My internet is really slow can you send someone out to look at the physical connection?

"Let me just look here well it looks like there's almost no usage at all" turns out she never connected the devices to the router in 5 months :stonk:

I've had more than one person ask me to look and see if I can tell why their internet is slow, and it turns out their only devices are all cellular and they never realized they had to switch off the cellular network by joining the wifi. They had internet, they just didn't understand the mechanisms that delivered it

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Thanatosian posted:

To the best of my knowledge most Irish banks keep the dev in-house for the most part. I haven't actually worked with my own bank though, and due to the year that's in it I haven't run into the dude I know who works there since I have discovered this issue.

RFC2324 posted:

I've had more than one person ask me to look and see if I can tell why their internet is slow, and it turns out their only devices are all cellular and they never realized they had to switch off the cellular network by joining the wifi. They had internet, they just didn't understand the mechanisms that delivered it
My dad did this today. It was fun to try explain that he had to turn off his wifi connection when the broadband was down, even though he had mobile data on.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Arquinsiel posted:

My dad did this today. It was fun to try explain that he had to turn off his wifi connection when the broadband was down, even though he had mobile data on.

I actually sorta understand this, people are just used to it automagically switching when they are in range of the wifi, and tbf, the ability to detect when wifi is failing to deliver internet and fail over to cellular is fairly common nowadays(my last 3 phones have done it, tho I think the oldest one had it added in an android update)

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Most people think about where their internet comes from about as often as they think about where their water and power come from.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

RFC2324 posted:

I actually sorta understand this, people are just used to it automagically switching when they are in range of the wifi, and tbf, the ability to detect when wifi is failing to deliver internet and fail over to cellular is fairly common nowadays(my last 3 phones have done it, tho I think the oldest one had it added in an android update)
Yeah but my dad is in his 70's and the explanation of why it didn't do that automagically being "it's an old phone" doesn't make sense, because he's "only had it five years!".

Assorted Gubbins
Oct 28, 2017

klosterdev posted:

Most people think about where their internet comes from about as often as they think about where their water and power come from.

It's almost like it should be treated as a municipal utility instead of sold in a for-profit manner by large greedy corporations!

Hm where I have seen this argument before if only someone could quote an absurdly long post that laid out the reasons to make it a utility. Ah well.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
On the other hand, I have to configure new networking/plug in wall boxes/hubs/lorawan/zwave crap frequently (like the ephemeral wifi AP, then visit a LAN IP to bootstrap it and grab a priv/pubkey off it or something) and my windows laptop - as soon as I connect to TPLINK-SETUP-420, screams "THERES NO INTERNET" and drops it and reconnects to my hotspot.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
https://twitter.com/AnsgarTOdinson/status/1334015546979803137

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

Arguably there are a couple valid use cases to these if the prices weren't completely insane. I lived in an apartment building at the edge of the coax length limit with old cable in the building, so my cable internet speeds were pretty bad. Also because apartment building, there was oodles of wifi interference, I used my own router, and didn't want the Comcast router near mine to be creating even more interference. I called Comcast about turning off wifi on the box entirely because I didn't want other people to connect to xfinity wifi and slow down my already slow internet and to reduce radio interference in my home, and they straight-up told me that isn't something I'm allowed to do. Thought about building a faraday cage around it to solve both problems.

Later I moved to a place with less interference and bought my own cable modem so problem ended up moot.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

On the topic of home network connection issues...

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
good for her

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Knormal posted:

On the topic of home network connection issues...

Well, full bars are probably a good place to find enough clients to associate with her base station.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

That is beyond hilarious.

Surprise! Idiots who are too stupid to understand that 5G is just another frequency of radio *also* too stupid to understand that Wifi is radio, too. Or what Faraday cages actually do.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

you, primitive, fearing technology: noo! the gamma rays!!
me, in full embrace of the silicon future: i put a bag of pebbles on my router to increase the clarity of the wireless signal

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Thanatosian posted:

You wouldn't believe how many massive banks have it outsourced too

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I interviewed for an IT job at a local credit union and I struggled to figure out what they actually did all day since everything was outsourced.

Even trouble calls in the same building were outsourced to a 3rd party.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Renegret posted:

I interviewed for an IT job at a local credit union and I struggled to figure out what they actually did all day since everything was outsourced.

Even trouble calls in the same building were outsourced to a 3rd party.

I worked for a hosting company that outsourced all their support operations, but still had an in-house team that literally just answered phones/tickets, then opened other tickets to the appropriate 3rd party. who then logged into our internal systems to do the thing.

it was the dumbest thing I had ever seen, and was clearly a call center to appease a manager who didn't want to manage skilled workers

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

nitrogen posted:

You wouldn't believe how many massive banks have it outsourced too

I would be shocked if any of the several major banks I've used over the years hadn't outsourced their sites to the cheapest poo poo they could dredge up.

Super Nintendo 64
Feb 18, 2012

Hell yeah dog I know that game.

PS: :dudsmile:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

RFC2324 posted:

I worked for a hosting company that outsourced all their support operations, but still had an in-house team that literally just answered phones/tickets, then opened other tickets to the appropriate 3rd party. who then logged into our internal systems to do the thing.

it was the dumbest thing I had ever seen, and was clearly a call center to appease a manager who didn't want to manage skilled workers

Best I can tell, it was much the same kind of setup? Thinking back on it I probably dodged a bullet with that place and I was too naive/desperate to pick up on it, along with my own lack of experience and confidence to pick up on it.

The director I interviewed with made a big hub bub about how much work they had backlogged and how late everyone was staying every day to keep up, but made a point to draw out their multiple vendors who handled everything, and oh yeah we do lots of stuff, we build out every new branch ourselves! Except it's a standard config across all branches so there's little configuration involved, and the wiring and racking/stacking is done by a vendor as well. Yeah it takes 1 person an average of 3 days to build out a new location and it's a team of 4 people but somehow that was the biggest nut to crack. I asked a lot of questions because I legit did not understand and I probably rubbed him the wrong way with all the prying.

Now that I think back on it, he was probably hiding something.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Renegret posted:

Best I can tell, it was much the same kind of setup? Thinking back on it I probably dodged a bullet with that place and I was too naive/desperate to pick up on it, along with my own lack of experience and confidence to pick up on it.

The director I interviewed with made a big hub bub about how much work they had backlogged and how late everyone was staying every day to keep up, but made a point to draw out their multiple vendors who handled everything, and oh yeah we do lots of stuff, we build out every new branch ourselves! Except it's a standard config across all branches so there's little configuration involved, and the wiring and racking/stacking is done by a vendor as well. Yeah it takes 1 person an average of 3 days to build out a new location and it's a team of 4 people but somehow that was the biggest nut to crack. I asked a lot of questions because I legit did not understand and I probably rubbed him the wrong way with all the prying.

Now that I think back on it, he was probably hiding something.

You're probably right, but I can't help but wonder if there might be a measure of "We have a nice easy gig here making a lot of money for little effort, shut the gently caress up and roll with it"

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You're probably right, but I can't help but wonder if there might be a measure of "We have a nice easy gig here making a lot of money for little effort, shut the gently caress up and roll with it"
Why would he say they all stay late all the time so? Bullshit overtime claims?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Maybe they just sucked at their jobs.

Or the director was exaggerating about the work load, I've seen that one before.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arquinsiel posted:

Why would he say they all stay late all the time so? Bullshit overtime claims?

That'd be my guess. I fully admit I might be way off the mark as we're all hearing this second hand after all, but it just had a ring of "shut up and go with it" to me rather than typical malice/incompetence.

Renegret was there anyone else sitting in on the interview aside from that Director?

edit:

Renegret posted:

Maybe they just sucked at their jobs.

Or the director was exaggerating about the work load, I've seen that one before.

Ouch, bullet dodged then indeed.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Renegret was there anyone else sitting in on the interview aside from that Director?

Nah just the one guy.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That is a super weird vibe to give in an interview where you presumably want to person to take the job if offered it.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Arquinsiel posted:

That is a super weird vibe to give in an interview where you presumably want to person to take the job if offered it.

I've been in an interview before where I was told be being there was a formality because they were doing an internal hire, and policy required they do external interviews first.

At least they gave me a nice snack for my time

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

RFC2324 posted:

I've been in an interview before where I was told be being there was a formality because they were doing an internal hire, and policy required they do external interviews first.

At least they gave me a nice snack for my time

Name and shame these garbage idiots

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

i am a moron posted:

Name and shame these garbage idiots

It was about 7 years ago, so don't remember, but they were a government contractor, which was why they had the external interview requirement.

It's really not an uncommon practice tho, any company that has a similar policy is going to do similar things. Sometimes that helpdesk guy deserves to be promoted to sysadmin but you can't legally just do it.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Reminds me of the time I was in a waiting room before the start of an interview, and the only other person there strikes up a conversation and mentions that his good buddy is the interviewer and that he was hoping to get hired for the same position I was there for.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

ponzicar posted:

Reminds me of the time I was in a waiting room before the start of an interview, and the only other person there strikes up a conversation and mentions that his good buddy is the interviewer and that he was hoping to get hired for the same position I was there for.

Aha, did you fall for it and leave, leaving him as the only applicant?

Oldest trick in the book.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

RFC2324 posted:

It was about 7 years ago, so don't remember, but they were a government contractor, which was why they had the external interview requirement.

It's really not an uncommon practice tho, any company that has a similar policy is going to do similar things. Sometimes that helpdesk guy deserves to be promoted to sysadmin but you can't legally just do it.

Yea it’s common, but there are ways to go about it that don’t involve wasting peoples time like that. I assumed it was a big company cause that’s usually where I’ve seen it

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I was walking out of an interview and saw the next guy waiting. He was wearing a fedora. I said to myself if he was the competition I had this job. I got the job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

I once interviewed a guy who wore a trench coat in when it was 75 degrees out and ranted about the CIA spying on him because Obama had it out for him. Had the biggest suit on I’ve ever seen too. Not sure I’d even blink at a fedora now.