Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I fell off after they had the weird plot about Ragnar taking a Chinese wife and sitting around smoking opium all day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Hakkesshu posted:

I fell off after they had the weird plot about Ragnar taking a Chinese wife and sitting around smoking opium all day.

I can't tell if that's a reference to Hell on Wheels or something that actually happened.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

pentyne posted:

I can't tell if that's a reference to Hell on Wheels or something that actually happened.

100% a thing that happened.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Hakkesshu posted:

This is pretty much around the time I fell off too. The season 1 storyline should have lasted a few seasons instead, because the bigger the scope, the worse it got.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
20 more actors have been announced for the Amazon lotr series

https://deadline.com/2020/12/the-lo...ons-1234636962/

Article has bios for everyone. Spoilered in case someone doesn't want the list

quote:

The new additions are: Cynthia Addai-Robinson, Maxim Baldry, Ian Blackburn, Kip Chapman, Anthony Crum, Maxine Cunliffe, Trystan Gravelle, Sir Lenny Henry, Thusitha Jayasundera, Fabian McCallum, Simon Merrells, Geoff Morrell, Peter Mullan, Lloyd Owen, Augustus Prew, Peter Tait, Alex Tarrant, Leon Wadham, Benjamin Walker, and Sara Zwangobani.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I understand the desire to black-box a project like this so you don't get fans nitpicking at every single little decision you made before they even see a piece of footage. And certainly they don't owe us anything. But surely if they're already filming they want to build a little bit of hype beyond that map they put out on Twitter or whatever? The original films were known for giving fans access to BTS production, so it feels even weirder on this particular property.

Either way, my expectations for the series are in the toilet. Not only is it an IP brand extension in search of a reason to exist which is legally prohibited from using most of the creator's original works, it's also showrun by a couple of first-timers whose only experience is uncredited writing on Star Trek Beyond. This thing has designed-by-committee written all over it. I hope they prove me wrong, but so far everything feels like a red flag.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Dec 3, 2020

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/slashfilm/status/1334566078660272129

Well, rip movie theaters I guess. Long live me getting to smoke weed while watching Dune '21 on my big rear end TV in my own fuckin living room ahaha

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
What's that third one?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No idea but if I had to guess it's Dirty Dancing sequel

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It’s In The Heights, a musical Lin-Manuel Miranda did before Hamilton.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
e: ^^ that's less objectionable, thanks

zoux posted:

No idea but if I had to guess it's Dirty Dancing sequel

:negative:

Someone out there thought we needed Dirty Dancing 2: Dirtier Dancing?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Azhais posted:

What's that third one?

Mortal Kombat reboot

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It’s In The Heights, a musical Lin-Manuel Miranda did before Hamilton.

Oh so it's way worse

Azhais posted:

This would be #3

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

Azhais posted:

That already happened in 2004 (with John Slattery playing the Jerry Orbach role)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Seems like a lot of people around here aren't up on their Dirty Dancing lore JD

Anyway, for me: gently caress movie theaters, good riddance, I'm sure people whined about nickelodeons becoming obsolete but with giant HD TV's costing relative peanuts it's a change that's a long time coming

https://twitter.com/kristapley/status/1334565615902679041

So the streaming run will only be a month and then what,

zoux fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 3, 2020

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

zoux posted:

Well, rip movie theaters I guess. Long live me getting to smoke weed while watching Dune '21 on my big rear end TV in my own fuckin living room ahaha

gently caress yeah!!

This is gonna make HBO all the money lol

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Having HBOMax is a must for me now. This brings it above Netflix in my opinion.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

BonoMan posted:

Mortal Kombat reboot

Live action Disney's The Rescuers™

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

GreenNight posted:

Having HBOMax is a must for me now. This brings it above Netflix in my opinion.

There's a staggering level of content on there relative to basically anything that's not Netflix, Hulu or Prime. It's a big boy streamer for sure.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

zoux posted:

Anyway, for me: gently caress movie theaters, good riddance, I'm sure people whined about nickelodeons becoming obsolete but with giant HD TV's costing relative peanuts it's a change that's a long time coming

Watching a movie in a theater is an exponentially better experience than watching it at home.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Simone Magus posted:

This is gonna make HBO all the money lol

I would love to see the internal numbers they're working with, because they must be super confident this is the way to go for maximum profit now. Love to see the strategy they'll be thinking of running with for the next 5 years or so. I wonder if they'll be reducing budgets too, and surely the whole adage of 'films have to make 2x their budget' adage is now to going to be put to rest because there won't be anywhere near as much $ spent on advertising and other promotion compared to theatrical runs. Super interesting stuff.

e: my head is spinning just thinking about how different this whole thing is. New films might end up being more profitable but grossing way less. How many people even pay for HBO Max? I have it but I constantly get it for free due to my service provider and I won't be the only one. Hot drat.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 3, 2020

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Yes, gently caress big multiplex chains like AMC etc because they’re garbage, but the likely loss of little boutique chains and independent theaters absolutely sucks. Movies are meant to be enjoyed on a huge screen with an audience, especially comedies. Unless you’re some billionaire who can just build an actual theater in your home, a 50”-75” tv in your living room isn’t the same experience at all and movies are gonna suffer for it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Gonna have myself some god drat new release watch parties with my OLED and surround setup.

EDIT: I prefer going to a theater for movies for I don't have ATMOS or like a 7.2.2 surround setup or anything, but this is OK for now.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

zoux posted:

So the streaming run will only be a month and then what,

There will likely be a VOD Rental and Purchase window for the movies for the next 9 months or so before they return to the service (assuming they don't get licensed somewhere else).

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

zoux posted:

Seems like a lot of people around here aren't up on their Dirty Dancing lore JD

They even did a remake ABC tv movie (with Bruce Greenwood in the John Slattery (in the Jerry Orbach) role)

I know a lot about DD for someone who's seen it like once all the way through

zoux posted:

:hmmyes: :amen:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

howe_sam posted:

Watching a movie in a theater is an exponentially better experience than watching it at home.

Yeah I love having to go see the new hit movie at 9 am on a Tuesday because otherwise it's impossible to get tickets opening week- and paying fifty bucks all in to do so

I haven't seen a movie in a non-dining theater in probably 10 years.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yes, gently caress big multiplex chains like AMC etc because they’re garbage, but the likely loss of little boutique chains and independent theaters absolutely sucks. Movies are meant to be enjoyed on a huge screen with an audience, especially comedies. Unless you’re some billionaire who can just build an actual theater in your home, a 50”-75” tv in your living room isn’t the same experience at all and movies are gonna suffer for it.

I think it's more likely that the boutique, smaller theaters will do better by catering to an enthusiast audience, it'll be the massive chains with millions and millions in property lease notes that are going to go bankrupt. Those indy theaters could be the only place to see a movie in theaters.

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Dec 3, 2020

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Movies are meant to be enjoyed on a huge screen with an audience, especially comedies.

Good thing they don't make comedies anymore. Not even joking, there's so few films that are actual, proper comedies being made these days. I hope that the smaller independent/boutique places survive and the chains fall apart, a pipe dream I'm sure but not impossible.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I was just mixing Dirty Dancing with Footloose and was very confused as to why I had never noticed Jerry Orbach

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The real question is how quickly Disney and Paramount follow suit. Does Sony have something in the offing?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

EL BROMANCE posted:

I would love to see the internal numbers they're working with, because they must be super confident this is the way to go for maximum profit now. Love to see the strategy they'll be thinking of running with for the next 5 years or so. I wonder if they'll be reducing budgets too, and surely the whole adage of 'films have to make 2x their budget' adage is now to going to be put to rest because there won't be anywhere near as much $ spent on advertising and other promotion compared to theatrical runs. Super interesting stuff.

It makes sense for now because, let's face it, life isn't returning to anything resembling normal until fall of 2021 since most adults aren't going to have access to the vaccine until summer and it will take time for immunity to develop and for case counts to go down. Then there's going to be the the theater casualties that are going to lower the overall number of screens out there.

The real trick, long term I think, is for them to prove that releasing on streaming ENLARGES the audience.

Like, I wouldn't have gone to the theater to see the Mortal Kombat reboot, but I'll probably check it out on HBO Max and it being there and something to look forward to does give me incentive to keep my sub (combined with other things). I think that's where they are going to dig into the data over the next year. If the people on HBO Max are largely additional people watching content rather than just wholesale shifting the audience from theater to home.

That's the calculus from Time Warner side of things anyways. It's going to be bad for the theater chains regardless. Hopefully that will force screens even more into providing a boutique experience beyond "Here's your ticket and now sit with a bunch of strangers that will annoy you."

There is precisely 1 screen within a 50 mile radius of me that will give me a better experience than I can have at home (Dolby Cinema screen about a 25 minute drive from my house). So I'm not too terribly broken up over this.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 3, 2020

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Disney probably already have plans in place, and they have the advantage of knowing how well their D+ PPV properties did, so they can see how to adjust their strategy. If those numbers are secure, it gives them more info than anyone else is working with.

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

I was just mixing Dirty Dancing with Footloose and was very confused as to why I had never noticed Jerry Orbach

Footloose is my other main man Johnny Lithgow

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

howe_sam posted:

In theory yeah but the last two movies I saw in a nice theater were horrible experiences (1917 and the Rian Johnson Star Wars). gently caress other people and their constant talking, kicking chairs, coughing. Just loving die.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 3, 2020

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I always had good luck at 10am on Sundays.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

GreenNight posted:

I always had good luck at 10am on Sundays.

Then it's a mostly empty room. I like the experience of being in a crowd where people cheer/cry/laugh at the right spots. Not loving talking during important moments.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I cant afford those types of experiences.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

EL BROMANCE posted:

Disney probably already have plans in place, and they have the advantage of knowing how well their D+ PPV properties did, so they can see how to adjust their strategy. If those numbers are secure, it gives them more info than anyone else is working with.

I mean, Disney already said in their last investor call that streaming was going to be their focus moving forward. I think the only stuff in the next year that's going to have an exclusive theater release from Disney is when a high profile director or producer is demanding it.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

EL BROMANCE posted:

e: my head is spinning just thinking about how different this whole thing is. New films might end up being more profitable but grossing way less. How many people even pay for HBO Max? I have it but I constantly get it for free due to my service provider and I won't be the only one. Hot drat.

Some numbers I saw recently are they technically have around 38 million subscribers but that includes everyone who already had HBO and got the free upgrade. However only about 8.6 are actually using Max. So the plan going forward starting with Wonder Woman and now obviously with this is to get everyone on Max and go from there.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Dec 3, 2020

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I've been watching Friday Night Lights for the first time. The initial season was awesome. The next one, much less so. Currently on the last season. It feels like every season has plots they were setting up but lost cast members they wanted to use or the writers changed their mind between seasons.

A good example is the young QB JD in season 3. Is set up to be a sympathetic character with an awful dad. The next season JD is an 80s movie bully, then he's missing in the final season. I can see why this show has such a large following. I wish I'd watched it while it was airing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I look forward to them finally figuring out how to bring HBO Max to Europe in 2023