Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Pigbuster posted:

My issue with awakening is that it hasn’t really come up since then, and until it does it just feels like yet another extremely powerful ability Doffy pulled out of his rear end.

If Katakuri did it I don’t remember it. Was it specifically called out in the text or was it just fan speculation?

Katakuri turned a bunch of things into mochi. That's how he nearly drowned Luffy in it, made a big chunk of the ceiling into mochi and dropped it. I think it was called out as being awakened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Nessus posted:

Make the island rubber.

Bounce it away.

Bounce it back at Kaido!
Luffy turns his opponent into glue. Whatever they say to him bounces off of him and sticks to them. That'll destroy their spirit when they go on an evil rant.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://mobile.twitter.com/mangamogura/status/1334319986559447040?s=21

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Luffy is 100% going to bounce one of Kaido's fireballs back into him, and probably bounce his club back into his face by having it wrap around his body and spring back with a comical boing sound like someone flicking one of those coiled door stoppers.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Pigbuster posted:

My issue with awakening is that it hasn’t really come up since then, and until it does it just feels like yet another extremely powerful ability Doffy pulled out of his rear end.

If Katakuri did it I don’t remember it. Was it specifically called out in the text or was it just fan speculation?

I thought awakening was a pre-established thing with the -taurs in Impel Down that had hyper regen?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Those guys are awakened yes. Though its not clear all awakenings per type will be the same yet. Tending that way though. From official VIZ release, chapter 882 for the lad/lady asking

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Went and checked also. VIZ official release chapter 544, Crocodile refers to the Jailer Beasts as awakened Zoan types

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

For Zoan I wonder though if mythical like Marco and maybe Kaido get more from awakening than those with stuff like koala and moo cow

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I always got the impression that awakened Zoans happened by accident or some other external stimuli and the world government just keeps them from rampaging in Impel Down like the other hosed up monsters there. They don’t really seem to be human anymore, at least.

Edit: rereading at Dressrosa and it’s funny that the birdcage happened in the same arc as Kanjuro’s intro, because his betrayal was really just lowkey there from panel one when he eats a head of lettuce with his right hand and pants with his left, then “accidentally” makes a ladder for the entire kingdom to reach Riku/Usopp.

Last Celebration fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Dec 3, 2020

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Awakened users: last two main baddies, movie villains... ...and... also these cutie pies. Good good.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Last Celebration posted:

I always got the impression that awakened Zoans happened by accident or some other external stimuli and the world government just keeps them from rampaging in Impel Down like the other hosed up monsters there. They don’t really seem to be human anymore, at least.

No guarantee they were human in the first place. For all we know they're rocks who were fed zoan devil fruits and then given some kind of permanent rumble ball equivalent to lock them in their Awakened forms.

...probably not though.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

The World Inferno posted:

Awakened users: last two main baddies, movie villains... ...and... also these cutie pies. Good good.

Personally I actually like Gild Tesoro, but I'm not sure what his awakening actually did considering his fruit was gold control in the first place. Better Gold Control?

It's not like he personally turns into Gold.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Lord_Magmar posted:

Personally I actually like Gild Tesoro, but I'm not sure what his awakening actually did considering his fruit was gold control in the first place. Better Gold Control?

It's not like he personally turns into Gold.

According to the One Piece Wiki:

quote:

Since consuming his Devil Fruit he has been able to awaken its powers, furthering the range of his influence over gold and enabling him to use all of the gold in Gran Tesoro that he has touched as a complex sensory network. Through this he is able to detect attempted break-ins or attacks on the city.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Who the gently caress is Bad One Gracie?

quote:

Gracie ate the Ute Ute no Mi, a Paramecia-class Devil Fruit that allows him to turn anything into a gun or cannon. like Doflamingo, Gracie has awakened his abilities and can turn other objects or surrounding areas into firearms.

Oh...

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Julias posted:

That's actually a cool awakened ability.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Julias posted:

So the sensory network is probably the primary benefit of his awakening, the extended range for his gold control after touch is just a nice feature.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
time to reread the entire katakuri fight i think

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
one piece is so cool

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Violen posted:

one piece is so cool

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
whats very not cool though is that viz's reader is still so awful in like every way compared to mangaplus on desktop after how long now? like theres no care about consolidating that poo poo whatsoever and it remains afaik the only way to access an official archive digitally

like, no vertical option, no single page option, forgets zoom setting on every single page

it's so needlessly laborious and hard to disappear into compared to 'here's the chapter enjoy'

you can also luckily fool it into being at a decent size and actually maintaining that state across pages if you pop it out and then bring it back within the original window. like what? and still not as good as the view you're given on mangaplus

full screening it actually fucks up the size worse lol

viz???

Violen fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Dec 3, 2020

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
maybe im finally too stupid for technology

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Chopper's Monster Point is his Awakened Form that he managed to trigger artificially. Don't @ me.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Do you mean choppers jobber form?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

TheLoneStar posted:

Chopper's Monster Point is his Awakened Form that he managed to trigger artificially. Don't @ me.

i think this is commonly accepted

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Most people think this.

The VIZ Reader is really good on iPad app but annoy8ng on desktop for sure. Also annoying considering you can only read some series on desktop. ComiXology is the best I’ve used but ofc yo7 don’t have the digital archive. 1.99 a month for endless manga legally is good with me and can accept some jank

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I'm also glad we're in the blessed Stephen Paul era of official translation tbh I don't mind the old "pirate" stuff they used to do lol and I don't even mind Zolo. The only one I cannot understand is "Ponegliff"

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Bisoromi bear
Tanjihado loflamingosama

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Charlotte Dogtooth

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Why is Chopper's awakened form a reindeer? It's supposed to be an awakened human zoan.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
i think the jury is still out between most of us on orochi even though i probably lean towards "he is dead" right now (but i agree, it feels weird)

but what about kanjuro? did you guys feel that his off screen death was a satisfactory end? for him, i kinda do think so, but that was another one i was surprised about that we didn't get a battle or anything

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Kanjuro would have made for an interesting battle for sure, but narratively the damage was done, and his death was emotional enough. Maybe the anime will do their battle, assuming he is actually dead.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
i like it as an unshown and unhappy deed i think, cutting to the aftermath with everyone's grim reactions to the enormity of this betrayal and the act of killing lifelong family is really effective

i also like orochi getting unceremoniously killed by kaido bc it's everything he deserves and works as a good shock

that one's a little more murky though bc you also naturally gravitate toward wanting something more poetic in his end and who gets to dictate it but i feel like we're getting a lot of that pathos out of the scabbards' showdown with kaido in impression if not outcome

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Sub Harrison posted:

Why is Chopper's awakened form a reindeer? It's supposed to be an awakened human zoan.

Everyone always seems to get this mixed up. Chopper's reindeer form looks like a reindeer, his chibi form is his hybrid form, and his muscle form is his human form. Monster point is just an extension of his human form to be bulkier, though admittedly he gets more fur as well.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Chopper could still awaken his fruit naturally to not need the rumble balls, maybe when he's run out and pulls it out the bag just when he needs to.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
If Orochi isn't dead then I'm really struggling with what role he could possibly play. Either he finds a way to double down on being the biggest rear end in a top hat in the arc and has his own M.A.D.-style nuke button (something something CP0) - OR - his betrayal leads him to realize he's been used his entire life and he has some sort of BS redemption moment where he self sacrifices to save Wano or help Luffy... I don't like either of those options. I always have faith in Oda to make something surprising and cool out of a setup like this, but if I'm being honest I would not mind if Orochi stayed dead and all of his evils are now figuratively shouldered by Kaido so that when Kaido is defeated it is a satisfying and "final" conclusion. I know a lot of people wanted Momo or a scabbard to get the moment of revenge but Kaido backstabbing Orochi and casually murdering him is SO appropriate.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Super Rad posted:

If Orochi isn't dead then I'm really struggling with what role he could possibly play. Either he finds a way to double down on being the biggest rear end in a top hat in the arc and has his own M.A.D.-style nuke button (something something CP0) - OR - his betrayal leads him to realize he's been used his entire life and he has some sort of BS redemption moment where he self sacrifices to save Wano or help Luffy... I don't like either of those options. I always have faith in Oda to make something surprising and cool out of a setup like this, but if I'm being honest I would not mind if Orochi stayed dead and all of his evils are now figuratively shouldered by Kaido so that when Kaido is defeated it is a satisfying and "final" conclusion. I know a lot of people wanted Momo or a scabbard to get the moment of revenge but Kaido backstabbing Orochi and casually murdering him is SO appropriate.

i'd honestly settle for a "onigashima crashes into the flower capital, orochi slithers away thinking he can escape kaido, he's found by hiyori and she owns his rear end"

its not surprising or creative but i really want to see the guy humiliated and scared. there's something so outrageously irritating about characters who have no strength or merit of their own talking and acting like bigshots, to see him humbled by his captive and object of lust for so many years would be really cathartic for me

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

I would like a wacky scenario in which the gifters get ahold of Chopper’s rumble balls, please Oda.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Super Rad posted:

If Orochi isn't dead then I'm really struggling with what role he could possibly play.
He and Caesar will meet up and have their own Cover Story.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

His death would be too weird and imo he's too much a part of the villainy for it to be sidelined like that. I agree Kanjuro was satisfying bu surprisingly quick but I liked it and imo I'd be happy it is permanent for him. I'm expecting more from flashbacks with Orochi and him though. Like who was the old woman really and the oul fella. Feels like there is too much surrounding the Kozumi(?) tribe for Orochi to be done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind
orochi talked about how he wanted vegapunk, so im guessing him living is how we meet vegapunk

the WG gets all of its seastone from wano and through orochi, so they'd naturally want to send someone to re secure the country